Intel fortran (again)

I've been away for about 6 weeks and still have the problem of a new
installation of Intel Fortran on my new Suse 11.3 system. It installed OK
but I still have to put stuff into the .bashrc file before it will work.
Some of you have made suggestions, but so far nothing has worked.

* Here are three directories created by the installation:

dieter@linux-qg9o:~> ls /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/lib/ia32
codecov_libFNP.so  libifcoremt_pic.a  libintlc.so.5     libirc.so
for_main.o         libifcoremt.so     libiomp5.a        libirc_s_pic.a
ifort_libFNP.so    libifcoremt.so.5   libiomp5.so       libomp_db.so
libcxaguard.a      libifcore_pic.a    libiompprof5.a    libompstub.a
libcxaguard.so     libifcore.so       libiompprof5.so   libompstub.so
libcxaguard.so.5   libifcore.so.5     libiompstubs5.a   libpdbx.a
libdecimal.a       libifport.a        libiompstubs5.so  libpdbx.so
libguide.a         libifport.so       libipgo.a         libpdbx.so.5
libguide.so        libifport.so.5     libipgo_pic.a     libsvml.a
libguide_stats.a   libimf.a           libirc.a          libsvml.so
libguide_stats.so  libimf_pic.a       libirc_fp.a       locale
libifcore.a        libimf.so          libirc_pic.a      tselect_libFNP.so
libifcoremt.a      libintlc.so        libirc_s.a

dieter@linux-qg9o:~> ls /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin
ia32  ifortvars.csh  ifortvars.sh

dieter@linux-qg9o:~> ls /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ia32
codecov   idb          ifort               ja_JP      svfortcom
xild
en_US     idbc         ifort.cfg           map_opts   tselect
fortcom   idb.el       ifortvars_ia32.csh  profdcg    uninstall_cprof.sh
fpp       idbvars.csh  ifortvars_ia32.sh   profmerge  uninstall_debugger.sh
ia32.xrd  idbvars.sh   iidb                proforder  xiar

* I tried this in my .bashrc file:

source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ifortvars.sh
source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ia32/idbvars.sh

but no go. There should be man file for ifort, but there isn't, so I have
to put something different in there. What??

Dieter
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritz<at>gmail.com)
0

This is my experience with Intel and Suse. I gave up trying to get any
Intel 11.* to work on Suse 11.3. Suse 11.3
uses gcc 4.5 and it seems the Intel software has issues with that fact.

I have managed to get Intel version 12.0 to work with Suse 11.3 without
much trouble, but the Intel debugger (idb) does not work (crashes right
away),
and I'm also having problems with preprocessing a .F90 file where the
compile line is greater then 4000 characters, so it still has problems.
You might have to go with an OS that uses < gcc 4.5 if you want to use
Intel software (at least for now). Can't really complain since Suse 11.3
is not technically on the list of supported OS. I'm waiting to upgrade
my current Suse OS because Intel 11.1 works so well on it.

On 01/03/2011 09:51 AM, Dieter Britz wrote:
> I've been away for about 6 weeks and still have the problem of a new
> installation of Intel Fortran on my new Suse 11.3 system. It installed OK
> but I still have to put stuff into the .bashrc file before it will work.
> Some of you have made suggestions, but so far nothing has worked.
>
> * Here are three directories created by the installation:
>
> dieter@linux-qg9o:~> ls /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/lib/ia32
> codecov_libFNP.so  libifcoremt_pic.a  libintlc.so.5     libirc.so
> for_main.o         libifcoremt.so     libiomp5.a        libirc_s_pic.a
> ifort_libFNP.so    libifcoremt.so.5   libiomp5.so       libomp_db.so
> libcxaguard.a      libifcore_pic.a    libiompprof5.a    libompstub.a
> libcxaguard.so     libifcore.so       libiompprof5.so   libompstub.so
> libcxaguard.so.5   libifcore.so.5     libiompstubs5.a   libpdbx.a
> libdecimal.a       libifport.a        libiompstubs5.so  libpdbx.so
> libguide.a         libifport.so       libipgo.a         libpdbx.so.5
> libguide.so        libifport.so.5     libipgo_pic.a     libsvml.a
> libguide_stats.a   libimf.a           libirc.a          libsvml.so
> libguide_stats.so  libimf_pic.a       libirc_fp.a       locale
> libifcore.a        libimf.so          libirc_pic.a      tselect_libFNP.so
> libifcoremt.a      libintlc.so        libirc_s.a
>
> dieter@linux-qg9o:~> ls /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin
> ia32  ifortvars.csh  ifortvars.sh
>
> dieter@linux-qg9o:~> ls /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ia32
> codecov   idb          ifort               ja_JP      svfortcom
> xild
> en_US     idbc         ifort.cfg           map_opts   tselect
> fortcom   idb.el       ifortvars_ia32.csh  profdcg    uninstall_cprof.sh
> fpp       idbvars.csh  ifortvars_ia32.sh   profmerge  uninstall_debugger.sh
> ia32.xrd  idbvars.sh   iidb                proforder  xiar
>
> * I tried this in my .bashrc file:
>
> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ifortvars.sh
> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ia32/idbvars.sh
>
> but no go. There should be man file for ifort, but there isn't, so I have
> to put something different in there. What??
>
> Dieter

0
msbrtnfld (6)
1/3/2011 5:02:57 PM
On Jan 3, 4:51=A0pm, Dieter Britz <br...@chem.au.dk> wrote:
> I've been away for about 6 weeks and still have the problem of a new
> installation of Intel Fortran on my new Suse 11.3 system. It installed OK
> but I still have to put stuff into the .bashrc file before it will work.
> Some of you have made suggestions, but so far nothing has worked.
[...]
> * I tried this in my .bashrc file:
>
> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ifortvars.sh
> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ia32/idbvars.sh
>
> but no go. There should be man file for ifort, but there isn't, so I have
> to put something different in there. What??

During installation of version 11.1.075 it told me what to do:

source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/075/bin/ifortvars.sh ia32
                                                     ^^^^ this is
important.

Cheers,
Harald
Harald Anlauf wrote:

> On Jan 3, 4:51 pm, Dieter Britz <br...@chem.au.dk> wrote:
>> I've been away for about 6 weeks and still have the problem of a new
>> installation of Intel Fortran on my new Suse 11.3 system. It installed OK
>> but I still have to put stuff into the .bashrc file before it will work.
>> Some of you have made suggestions, but so far nothing has worked.
> [...]
>> * I tried this in my .bashrc file:
>>
>> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ifortvars.sh
>> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ia32/idbvars.sh
>>
>> but no go. There should be man file for ifort, but there isn't, so I have
>> to put something different in there. What??
>
> During installation of version 11.1.075 it told me what to do:
>
> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/075/bin/ifortvars.sh ia32
>                                                      ^^^^ this is
> important.
>
> Cheers,
> Harald

Someone suggested that there should be instructions at the end of the
installation, but there were not. Do you mean that as it stands, i.e.
a blank before "ia32" at the end of the line? I'll try it, of course.
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritz<at>gmail.com)
0
britz (87)
1/4/2011 9:54:23 AM
On Jan 4, 10:54=A0am, Dieter Britz <br...@chem.au.dk> wrote:
> Harald Anlauf wrote:
> > On Jan 3, 4:51=A0pm, Dieter Britz <br...@chem.au.dk> wrote:
> >> I've been away for about 6 weeks and still have the problem of a new
> >> installation of Intel Fortran on my new Suse 11.3 system. It installed=
 OK
> >> but I still have to put stuff into the .bashrc file before it will wor=
k.
> >> Some of you have made suggestions, but so far nothing has worked.
> > [...]
> >> * I tried this in my .bashrc file:
>
> >> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ifortvars.sh
> >> source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073/bin/ia32/idbvars.sh
>
> >> but no go. There should be man file for ifort, but there isn't, so I h=
ave
> >> to put something different in there. What??
>
> > During installation of version 11.1.075 it told me what to do:
>
> > source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/075/bin/ifortvars.sh ia32
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0^^^^ this is
> > important.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Harald
>
> Someone suggested that there should be instructions at the end of the
> installation, but there were not. Do you mean that as it stands, i.e.
> a blank before "ia32" at the end of the line? I'll try it, of course.

The instructions were added only recently, so I do not know whether
you saw them with 11.1.073.  Anyway, the script which is being sourced
takes an argument (ia32 in my case and probably yours, or intel64)
that is used to set up the proper environment (PATH, MANPATH, etc.)

Cheers,
Harald
Harald Anlauf wrote:

> On Jan 4, 10:54 am, Dieter Britz <br...@chem.au.dk> wrote:
>> Harald Anlauf wrote:
>> > [...]
>>
>> > During installation of version 11.1.075 it told me what to do:
>>
>> > source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/075/bin/ifortvars.sh ia32
>> > ^^^^ this is
>> > important.
>>
>> > Cheers,
>> > Harald
>>
>> Someone suggested that there should be instructions at the end of the
>> installation, but there were not. Do you mean that as it stands, i.e.
>> a blank before "ia32" at the end of the line? I'll try it, of course.
>
> The instructions were added only recently, so I do not know whether
> you saw them with 11.1.073.  Anyway, the script which is being sourced
> takes an argument (ia32 in my case and probably yours, or intel64)
> that is used to set up the proper environment (PATH, MANPATH, etc.)
>
> Cheers,
> Harald

Thank you very much! I tried this out last night (using 073 of course,
in my case) and it worked. Great!
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritz<at>gmail.com)
0
britz (87)

Help needed! Fortran Dll works for compaq fortran not for Intel Fortran
Dear all, I am porting a compaq fortran project (version 6.x) over to the intel fortran compiler (version 8.0). However, crash always happens at the internal write statement under the intel fortran compiler. ========= project brief: ========= The soultion comprises two parts, one is the c++ project, which in charge of the user interface, the other project is a Fortran Dll project. The Fortran Dll is invoked by the C++ project. the problem I meet here is every simple, the C++ project is just a framework of the dialog based mfc win32 application. In the code response to the click OK button, it...

Help needed! Fortran Dll works for compaq fortran not for Intel Fortran #2
Dear all, I am porting a compaq fortran project (version 6.x) over to the intel fortran compiler (version 8.0). However, crash always happens at the internal write statement under the intel fortran compiler. ========= project brief: ========= The soultion comprises two parts, one is the c++ project, which in charge of the user interface, the other project is a Fortran Dll project. The Fortran Dll is invoked by the C++ project. the problem I meet here is every simple, the C++ project is just a framework of the dialog based mfc win32 application. In the code response to the click OK button, it...

Intel fortran and fortran 77 standard!
Hi! I am trying to recompile lapack 3.0 with Intel fortran, but I am getting compiler errors in ilaenv.f I tried to skip that file to see what happens, but there are more errors. Can Lapack be compiled with Intel compiler at all? I was using CVF 6.1 by now and any hints on how to avoid trouble are welcome. Thanks! Atmapuri. "Atmapuri" <janez.makovsek@usa.net> wrote in message news:QN6jc.1589$37.232466@news.siol.net... > Hi! > > I am trying to recompile lapack 3.0 with Intel > fortran, but I am getting compiler errors in ilaenv.f > I tried to skip that file...

Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler?
Hey As a C/C++ programmer (Fortran newbie) I need to port a Fortran-77 (with extensions for namelist/IO, long variable names and include files) source to MS Windows. The original source runs under VMS, with differential compile support (cpp) for a number of Unix systems (Solaris, Digital Unix, IRIX, UNICOS). Which is the fastest way Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler for Windows or ...? thanx, Ivo silvestri@isitech.com (silvestri) writes: > As a C/C++ programmer (Fortran newbie) I need to port a Fortran-77 > (with extensions for namelist/IO, long variable names and inclu...

Is "Intel Parallel Studio" Useful for Fortran with OpenMP Is "Intel Parallel Studio" Useful for Fortran with OpenMP
I have recieved some marketing blather for the Intel Parallel Studio. They keep changing the name so it is hard to keep track of things. The package seems to be both C and Fortran compilers with a collection of parallel tools. There is a smaller version with just the C compiler. I did not find the one with just the Fortran compiler. :-( (Would Dr. Fortran please talk to the marketing guys about their missed oprotunity.) Can anyone comment on which of the tools are useful for debugging and/or tuning Fortran with OpenMP? I will be mostly interested in Windows. I have been lucky as I se...

Building DLLs with Compaq Visual Fortran and Intel Visual Fortran
Dear all, I have lately decided to upgrade from (CVF) Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 to (IVF) Intel Visual Fortran 8.1 My main task is CFD where I usually built "user-subroutines" in the form of a user.dll file which the commercial solver can use and thus implements my models. Up till now everything worked fine with CVF. I tried to compile and link an already used library with IVF. I have used exactly the same compiler and linker switches with the exception of /iface:cvf and IVF produced the dll with no errors. However, the solver just hangs ... I thought about checking the "c...

Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?
Hi, I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a Windows system. CVF development is being discontinued as of the end of this year. They offer an upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 9.0. Any thoughts on whether this is advisable/desirable/necessary would be highly appreciated. Does anybody have experiences going that route already? Thanks a lot. --hh -- It would be also interesting to know what happens with and AMD Athlon processor. Does the Intel Visual Fortran proposes optimizations for AMD ? NN a �crit : > Hi, > I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a W...

makefile from linux lahey fortran to intel visual fortran on windows
Hello! I am new with programming in fortran and I need some help with compiling. I have this program that uses a makefile for linux lahey fortran, and I want to make the program run on intel visual fortran. The program uses modules (which replace common blocks in fortran 77), and I don't know how to port the makefile. The makefile for linux lahey fortran looks like EXECUTABLE: main.o subroutine1.o subroutine2.o module.o lf95 -o EXECUTABLE main.o subroutine1.o subroutine2.o module.o main.o: main.f90 module.o makefile lf95 -c main.f90 subroutine1.o: subroutine1.f90 module.o makefile ...

Fortran to C to Fortran Arrays
I'm doing a little research. I want to create a multi-dimensional array in fortran containing real values and pass it to a C/C++ program. In the C/C++ program the array will be loaded with values gathered using a libjpeg library or something (haven't figured that out yet). Then I want to return this array back to the Fortran program, loaded with data so that it can be handled there. I have not started to write code yet on this I am just researching some. Can this be done? deadpickle wrote: > I'm doing a little research. I want to create a multi-dimensional > array in fortran...

Intel Fortran, again
I have just had a new Linux system installed (Suse 11.2) and had to install Intel Fortran once more. In a previous installation under Suse 10.2, I had to put into the .bashrc file the path statements source /opt/intel/idb/9.1.036/bin/idbvars.sh source /opt/intel/fc/9.1.036/bin/ifortvars.sh and I must do something similar now. But the instructions, for the Professional Edition 11.1 for Linux, do not mention this. So, to get going, what must I now insert? I can't find any README that tells me this. I don't even find the directories idb/ and fc/ in /opt/intel/. -- Dieter B...

Intel Fortran
Hello, it seems you have to rethink your tone: you started out by stating some quite "uninformed" questions, the experts in this group tried to help you quite a lot, but now you whine that you are unable to understand the hints. Lets put it that way: It seems you are unable to use the proper software products and read the appropriate manuals. You have started to do some work, which you are not able to perform. Now you shout at the makers of the software tools, which you are not able to use properly and at the persons, who try to support you. This behaviour is in clear co...

A Fortran book for returning to Fortran?
What book would you recommend for returning to Fortran after many years without it? I have several years of Fortran experience, most of it with versions before Fortran 77, and never did learn many of the new features of Fortran 77. Robert Miles On 10/23/2011 03:53 AM, Robert Miles wrote: > What book would you recommend for returning to Fortran after many years > without it? > > I have several years of Fortran experience, most of it with versions > before Fortran 77, and never did learn many of the new features of > Fortran 77. How about Fortran 95/2008 ? Is there a rea...

Calling a Fortran DLL from Fortran
In calling a FORTRAN DLL, from FORTRAN code, one needs to place the DLL in = a path that is searched by the Windows operating system. Placing the DLL in= a folder other than the ones in the PATH environment variable, will cause = the call to fail. Does anyone know how to call a DLL that is stored in a fo= lder not in the Windows path? In VB one uses the Declare statement to accom= plish that. I tried GETENVQQ to get the Path environment variable, then aug= ment the path of the DLL and then using the SETENVQQ to update the PATH en= vironment variable but I haven't been able to succ...

Compaq Visual Fortran v6.6 Professional, Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048
Compaq Visual Fortran v6.6 Professional, Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048 - new ! Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048 CD NR 15 878 BVisual Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL v8.0.048 - Intel Soft 15 798 INTEL.FORTRAN.COMPILER.V8.0.048 INTEL.FORTRAN.COMPILER.V8.0.IMSL.v5.0 INTEL.VTUNE.PERFORMANCE.ANALYZER.V7.1A Intel.Fortran.Compiler.for.Windows.v7.1.022 Compaq Visual Fortran v6.6 Professional 11 299 for more info, and for other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! ple...

Web resources about - Intel fortran (again) - comp.lang.fortran

Fortran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
.f , .for , .f90 , .f95 and is the language used for programs that benchmark and rank the world's fastest supercomputers . Fortran encompasses ...

ForTran: Formula Translator on the App Store on iTunes
Get ForTran: Formula Translator on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

LLVM to get FORTRAN compiler that targets parallel GPUs in clusters
... it had established a partnership with NVIDIA that would be enhancing the LLVM compiler collection. The goal will be to port an existing FORTRAN ...

Sun's Fortran replacement goes open-source
Good-bye Fortran, hello Fortress? Server maker seeks open-source help building alternative to decades-old programming language. A CNET article ...

You Can Write FORTRAN in any Language
We've seen that the cultures of VB and C# are very different. And we've seen that this is no fault of the programmers that use them. Rather this ...

P.W. Singer on "Soldiers of Fortran," i.e. robots that kill people
That there is an X-Box. That there is six of the reported 17,000+ military robots that the U.S. operates, including a scary-ass robot-speedboat-gunship ...

NAG Fortran Compiler now supports OpenMP
NAG Fortran Compiler now supports OpenMP

Fortran creator John W. Backus passes away at age 82
The New York Times is reporting that John W. Backus, who led the team at IBM that developed the Fortran programming language, died Saturday at ...

Home · jerryd/gtk-fortran Wiki · GitHub
Fortran 95 GTK+ Interface Modules. Contribute to gtk-fortran development by creating an account on GitHub.

Liquid-proof HPR-3 Robot Doesn't Run on Olde Fortran
Here's HPR-3 Promet Mark II, a 160cm-tall robot that can probably snap your spine if you don't get him a beer case every day. The new 149-pound ...