Is "Intel Parallel Studio" Useful for Fortran with OpenMP Is "Intel Parallel Studio" Useful for Fortran with OpenMP

I have recieved some marketing blather for the Intel Parallel Studio.
They keep changing the name so it is hard to keep track of things. The
package seems to be both C and Fortran compilers with a collection
of parallel tools. There is a smaller version with just the C compiler.
I did not find the one with just the Fortran compiler. :-( (Would Dr.
Fortran please talk to the marketing guys about their missed oprotunity.)

Can anyone comment on which of the tools are useful for debugging and/or
tuning Fortran with OpenMP? I will be mostly interested in Windows.
I have been lucky as I seem to be able to structure my problems to be
embarassingly parallel and fairly straightforward under dynamic scheduling
of the parallel sections. The parallel tasks can have quite variable run
times so it pays to pick up the longer ones early.

I am trying to figure out how coarrays will work with a sequential section
setting up the work followed by a parallel section which does the heavier
lifting. Does one just tolerate all images doing the same in the sequential
bits, is it "as if" and the implementation sorts it out or does one have
to select which image does the work and manually give the others a short
rest? I have not seen any examples beyond the ultra trivial so I have no
idea of what sort of idioms will be effective.

I expect that I will stick with NAG for single thread debugging but NAG
does not support OpenMP. I stick to MacOsX with NAG.

Switching both compilers and systems lowers the gotchas from only one.

0
Gordon
2/23/2011 8:31:05 PM
comp.lang.fortran 11941 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 2/23/2011 3:31 PM, Gordon Sande wrote:
> I have recieved some marketing blather for the Intel Parallel Studio.
> They keep changing the name so it is hard to keep track of things. The
> package seems to be both C and Fortran compilers with a collection
> of parallel tools. There is a smaller version with just the C compiler.
> I did not find the one with just the Fortran compiler. :-( (Would Dr.
> Fortran please talk to the marketing guys about their missed oprotunity.)
>
> Can anyone comment on which of the tools are useful for debugging and/or
> tuning Fortran with OpenMP? I will be mostly interested in Windows.

There are two similarly-named products.  I wasn't consulted on the names...

Intel Parallel Studio is aimed at the "mainstream Windows C++
developer".  It includes Intel Parallel Composer, a feature-reduced
version of the Intel C++ compiler, Intel Integrated Performance
Primitives, Intel Array Building Blocks, Intel Parallel Amplifier
(performance analyzer), Intel Parallel Inspector (correctness checker)
and Intel Parallel Advisor (tool to help show you where you can add
parallelism to your C/C++ program.)  Fortran is not part of this.

Intel Parallel Studio XE is a new bundle which includes the latest
versions of the full-featured Intel C++ and Fortran compilers, Intel
Math Kernel Library, the same Intel Integrated Performance Primitives
and Intel Array Building Blocks as above, Intel VTune Amplifier XE
(performance analyzer) and Intel Inspector XE (correctness checker).
Unlike the tools in the "non-XE" suites, Amplifier XE and Inspector XE
do support Fortran. All of the "XE" products support Windows, Linux and Mac.

Most of these things can also be bought separately, and some in smaller
bundles. As you correctly note, there is not currently a bundle that
packages just Fortran with the analysis tools, so if you want the tools
without C++ you have to buy them separately.  I have already let the
marketing people know my opinion on that. On the other hand, I am told
that there is a VERY generous upgrade price from any of the earlier
tools to the full-zoot Parallel Studio XE and nothing requires that you
use the C++ compiler (but if you want to, it's really very nice.)

If what you are interested in is developing and debugging Fortran
programs with OpenMP, all you need is Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE,
which is the next version of what was Intel Visual Fortran Professional
Edition.  It includes all you need, including a Fortran development
environment based on Visual Studio 2008.

You might find Intel Inspector XE additionally useful, as it includes
the newest version of our earlier Thread Analyzer tool that helps find
threading errors such as deadlocks and unsynchronized updates to shared
variables.  It also enables the "Static Security Analysis" feature which
can identify at compile time errors in OpenMP usage and includes a
"memory checker" that can be used to identify memory leaks.

Similarly, you may be interested in Intel VTune Amplifier XE as it
includes thread profiling and performance analysis functions.

For more information on the various tools and bundles, see
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-parallel-studio-xe/
Feel free to write me if you have specific questions.

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

   http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
   http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
   http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran

Refer to http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/optimization-notice
for more information regarding performance and optimization choices in
Intel software products.
0
Steve