Linux distro

Hi all,

years ago I asked for a 'best distro'.  Adopted Kubuntu, and was happy
until upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04.  Had to reinstall everything from
scratch, since the upgrading stuff is crippled (by admission of Kubuntu
people).  Then everything seemed to work, until I had the bad idea to
upgrade the printer driver (with its dependencies), thing that led to a
wipe out of half the system!

I'm mainly concerned in running gfortran and programs generated by it,
possibly one of the latest release, and upgrading it and the rest of the
system in an easy way.
What is your experience about ?

Any 'new best' distro suggestion ?

Thanks in advance
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year !

Gigi
0
GianLuigi
12/23/2016 9:52:59 PM
comp.lang.fortran 11941 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Il giorno venerd=C3=AC 23 dicembre 2016 22:53:01 UTC+1, GianLuigi Piacentin=
i ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>=20
> years ago I asked for a 'best distro'.  Adopted Kubuntu, and was happy=20
> until upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04.  Had to reinstall everything from=20
> scratch, since the upgrading stuff is crippled (by admission of Kubuntu=
=20
> people).  Then everything seemed to work, until I had the bad idea to=20
> upgrade the printer driver (with its dependencies), thing that led to a=
=20
> wipe out of half the system!
>=20
> I'm mainly concerned in running gfortran and programs generated by it,=20
> possibly one of the latest release, and upgrading it and the rest of the=
=20
> system in an easy way.
> What is your experience about ?
>=20
> Any 'new best' distro suggestion ?
>=20
> Thanks in advance
> Merry Xmas and Happy New Year !
>=20
> Gigi

Dear Gigi,

this can be a very personal taste and it could generate a flame... I love s=
uch discussion :-)

My preference in the last 2 or 3 years is fallen on Arch linux (https://www=
..archlinux.org/), see my config

https://github.com/szaghi/dotfiles

Arch linux is a rolling release: the updates are smooth (https://en.wikiped=
ia.org/wiki/Rolling_release) there is not any pain... (I update my system e=
very weeks). You have "cutting edge" latest versions of almost all packages=
.. The cons is the installer: you must know what you are doing... However, f=
riendlier installers are now coming out, e.g. https://arch-anywhere.org/

I strongly suggest Arch Linux: I used almost all Debian based distro (Ubunt=
u-derivates included) and some rpm-based one (OpenSuse, Fedora), Arch is my=
 favorite. To me it is:

+ comprehensive: its package system repository (it is not deb, nor rpm, it =
adopts its own one) is very huge (AUR is enormous), it can challenge with D=
ebian even if I think it is not so big;
+ effective: it is much (much) more lightweight than Ubunu & Co;
+ robust: it is much (much) more reliable than Ubuntu & Co, it is a wonderf=
ul rolling release;

The main cons are:
+ lower (than Ubuntu & Co) support for "exotic-very new hardware";
+ it does not support all the "old" architectures as Debian does;=20
+ less friendlier than Ubuntu & Co: much less GUI-based wizard, but if you =
are familiar with shell this can be view as a pros, I do;

Alternatively, the Damian's virtual machine offer a out-of-the-box Fortran-=
ready (L)Ubuntu distro with all new packages.

That Arch will be with you :-)

My best regards.
0
Stefano
12/23/2016 10:41:40 PM
GianLuigi Piacentini <ggpiace@tin.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> years ago I asked for a 'best distro'.  Adopted Kubuntu, and was happy
> until upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04.  Had to reinstall everything from

FWIW, I have had no problems with xubuntu (now 16.04.1 LTS). Assorted
Fortran compilers coexist up in /opt.

Cheers, David Duffy.
0
David
12/24/2016 8:50:11 AM
GianLuigi Piacentini <ggpiace@tin.it> wrote:
> Hi all,

<snip>

> I'm mainly concerned in running gfortran and programs generated by it,
> possibly one of the latest release, and upgrading it and the rest of the
> system in an easy way.
> What is your experience about ?

Are you asking if binaries created by gfortran on an old
release of your distro will execute after an upgrade ?
They should but that depends your the shared libraries
you link to and if a change was done to the library.
If you link statically no issues, but you could end up
with very large executables.

> Any 'new best' distro suggestion ?
You will get more answers to this than there are stars :)
Mine Slackware, great for developers, but as you probably
know best to check distrowatch.  I heard of a new distro
based upon ubuntu that is specific to developers, forgot
it's name :(

> Thanks in advance
> Merry Xmas and Happy New Year !

same to you :)