How to pronounce ErLang? Seriously.

Dear all,

How to pronounce ErLang, in English? I need to do a related
presentation...

Thanks!

Best,

longwalk

comp.lang.functional 2791 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

longwalk2forever@gmail.com wrote:

> How to pronounce ErLang, in English? I need to do a related
> presentation...

when i once asked this same question, for the same reason,
i was told it was that it was pronounced both ways, but that
"er (air) lang (as in language)" predominated.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?
0
garry7 (75)
5/2/2005 10:40:36 PM
Garry Hodgson <garry@sage.att.com> writes:

> longwalk2forever@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > How to pronounce ErLang, in English? I need to do a related
> > presentation...
>
> when i once asked this same question, for the same reason,
> i was told it was that it was pronounced both ways, but that
> "er (air) lang (as in language)" predominated.

Erlang is allegedly named after the Danish mathematician Agner Krarup
Erlang, so you should use a Danish pronounciation.  "Er" is pretty
close to "air", but "lang" is not like in "language".  The "a" is
shorter and harder than that.  To pronunce it, say "long", but pull
your lips back instead of pouting, so you get a sound closer to the
"a" in "ahh", but shorter.  If it helps, think of German "a" sounds.

        Torben

0
torbenm265 (288)
5/3/2005 7:14:24 AM
Torben �gidius Mogensen wrote:
> Garry Hodgson <garry@sage.att.com> writes:
>

>>longwalk2forever@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>How to pronounce ErLang, in English? I need to do a related
>>>presentation...
>>
>>when i once asked this same question, for the same reason,
>>i was told it was that it was pronounced both ways, but that
>>"er (air) lang (as in language)" predominated.
>

> Erlang is allegedly named after the Danish mathematician Agner Krarup
> Erlang,

It has nothing to do with the fact that ERicsson developed it?

/S
0
sylvan1 (18)

http://www.erlang.org/faq/x1034.html#AEN1037

--
Johan Bockg�rd
0
Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> Torben =C6gidius Mogensen wrote:

>> Erlang is allegedly named after the Danish mathematician Agner Krarup
>> Erlang,
>=20
> It has nothing to do with the fact that ERicsson developed it?

Erlang did important work on the probability distributions of
telephone conversations.

In Denmark he is best known for his very accurate tables (logarithms,
trigonometric functions etc.). Well at least he is known to the
generation before pocket calculators.

--=20
Jens Axel S=F8gaard

0