Calculating area of latitude-longitude quadrangle?

Is there any way to calculate the area of a latitude-longitude
quadrangle in IDL, or some formula I could use?
MATLAB can (using areaquad from the Mapping Toolbox, which can return
surface area in km^2 of a lat/lon box covering a part of Earth) but I
do not have access to MATLAB.
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12230 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Ashley Berg writes:

> Is there any way to calculate the area of a latitude-longitude
> quadrangle in IDL, or some formula I could use?
> MATLAB can (using areaquad from the Mapping Toolbox, which can return
> surface area in km^2 of a lat/lon box covering a part of Earth) but I
> do not have access to MATLAB.

Wow! Really!?

I'm not sure I'd put a whole lot of trust in a
number like that! :-)

Cheers,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.

> "Ashley Berg"  wrote in message
>
> Is there any way to calculate the area of a latitude-longitude
> quadrangle in IDL, or some formula I could use?
> MATLAB can (using areaquad from the Mapping Toolbox, which can return
> surface area in km^2 of a lat/lon box covering a part of Earth) but I
> do not have access to MATLAB.

actual surface area would be impossible, but just integrate the surface of a
sphere and that could get you close enough.

cheers,
bob

0
noemail8476 (227)
8/23/2011 8:37:29 PM
On Aug 24, 4:52=A0am, Ashley Berg <ashley.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to calculate the area of a latitude-longitude
> quadrangle in IDL, or some formula I could use?
> MATLAB can (using areaquad from the Mapping Toolbox, which can return
> surface area in km^2 of a lat/lon box covering a part of Earth) but I
> do not have access to MATLAB.

When I had to do something similar in Excel (don't ask!) I broke it up
into two triangles, found the internal angles (google Aviation
Formulas) and used Girard's theorem to find the area of each triangle
and added them together.

Max
0
maxjpeck (28)