Calculating area of latitude-longitude quadrangle?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Is there any way to calculate the area of a latitude-longitude
quadrangle in IDL, or some formula I could use?
MATLAB can (using areaquad from the Mapping Toolbox, which can return
surface area in km^2 of a lat/lon box covering a part of Earth) but I
do not have access to MATLAB.
0
Reply ashley.berg (12) 8/23/2011 6:52:06 PM

See related articles to this posting

Ashley Berg writes:

> Is there any way to calculate the area of a latitude-longitude
> quadrangle in IDL, or some formula I could use?
> MATLAB can (using areaquad from the Mapping Toolbox, which can return
> surface area in km^2 of a lat/lon box covering a part of Earth) but I
> do not have access to MATLAB.

Wow! Really!?

I'm not sure I'd put a whole lot of trust in a
number like that! :-)

Cheers,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.

Yes, I'm not sure exactly how MATLAB does it!  But for my purposes I
only need a rough estimate.
0
Reply ashley.berg (12) 8/23/2011 8:06:32 PM

> "Ashley Berg"  wrote in message
>
> Is there any way to calculate the area of a latitude-longitude
> quadrangle in IDL, or some formula I could use?
> MATLAB can (using areaquad from the Mapping Toolbox, which can return
> surface area in km^2 of a lat/lon box covering a part of Earth) but I
> do not have access to MATLAB.

actual surface area would be impossible, but just integrate the surface of a
sphere and that could get you close enough.

cheers,
bob

0
Reply noemail8476 (227) 8/23/2011 8:37:29 PM

On Aug 24, 4:52=A0am, Ashley Berg <ashley.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to calculate the area of a latitude-longitude
> quadrangle in IDL, or some formula I could use?
> MATLAB can (using areaquad from the Mapping Toolbox, which can return
> surface area in km^2 of a lat/lon box covering a part of Earth) but I
> do not have access to MATLAB.

When I had to do something similar in Excel (don't ask!) I broke it up
into two triangles, found the internal angles (google Aviation
Formulas) and used Girard's theorem to find the area of each triangle
and added them together.

Max
0
Reply maxjpeck (28) 8/24/2011 7:54:59 AM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 11227 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Calculating Area from Longitude and Latitude
I am writing a program that has the following information. a list of venders that have Long and Lat coordinates, and my address (in Long and Lat). I need find the min and max Long and latitude that would exist in an area of x miles. Ideally I would like my address to be in the middle and be able to select venders that fall withing that range. I am having trouble finding the proper equations. I am not concerned that everything be exact to the nth degree. A good approximation would be fine. If any one could comment or send me in the right direction I would sure appreciate it. t...

MySQL Longitude & Latitude calculations
Hi, I'm buiding a site around the google maps API, I have a lot of data already though which is all contains longitude & latitude data. I'm want to do operations like "add the 10 closest matches as markers to the current google map". To acomplish this I'm going to need to query SQL to find the top 10 results in my database (which contains about 7.5 million entities) given a longitude & latitude coordinates. I was wondering if anyone had any existing code they post to help me get my head around it, or even just ideas on how I could acomplish this. ...

how to calculate distance from pairs of latitude/longitude measurements?
I am working on a project where I will be receiving measurements from the Global Positioning System, presumably latitude and longitude measurements, and I will need to calculate the distances between the measurement points. The measurements will all be taken over a region of only a few miles so I guess I could assume the earth is flat over this region and just calculate the straight line distance. But I was wondering if anyone could help me with a more mathematically rigorous method for calculating distance from pairs of latitude/ longitude measurements? thanks, llo I found MAP_PROJ_FORDWA...

Calculate new Latitude / Longitude from Bearing and Distance
Greetings, does anyone have a calculation that calculates the new latitude and longitude based on a starting point, bearing and distance? I would greatly appreciate any help people might have. Many Thanks, Aaron Aaron, I think the formulae shown on the following page will help: http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html Art -------- On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:55:12 -0800, anderson115@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Greetings, does anyone have a calculation that calculates the new >latitude and longitude based on a starting point, bearing and >distance? > >I would greatly appreciate...

how to calculate latitude and longitude from range and direction(azimuth and elevation)
Hello. All, I am looking for s/w or sub-routing to calculated latitude and longitude from slant range, elevation and azimuth angle with earth curvature. Would you let me know the tips or where this sub-routine can be found? Thanks!! On 11/8/10 8:24 PM, bjkuk wrote: > Hello. All, > I am looking for s/w or sub-routing to calculated latitude and > longitude from slant range, elevation and azimuth angle with earth > curvature. > Would you let me know the tips or where this sub-routine can be found? > Thanks!! Hi, A long time ago I adapted code shared by Liam Gu...

MySQL query for WGS-84 longitude & latitude radius GPS distance calculation
WGS-84 Proximity Search with Longitude & Latitude decimal co-ordinates Example: Hotel Burnham in Downtown Chicago is located at: 1 West Washington Street, Chicago, IL Latitude: 41.883190 Longitude: -87.627940 I absolutely want to help some people out there with the same problem I faced. I spent all night scanning lines of code trying SQL and C# code that simply just DOES NOT work. There is TONS of crap code scattered all over the internet, but very many great articles explaining how everything works, so I piggybacked on the knowledge out there to get a working solution. For those like me...

MySQL query for WGS-84 longitude & latitude radius GPS distance calculation
WGS-84 Proximity Search with Longitude & Latitude decimal co-ordinates Example: Hotel Burnham in Downtown Chicago is located at: 1 West Washington Street, Chicago, IL Latitude: 41.883190 Longitude: -87.627940 I absolutely want to help some people out there with the same problem I faced. I spent all night scanning lines of code trying SQL and C# code that simply just DOES NOT work. There is TONS of crap code scattered all over the internet, but very many great articles explaining how everything works, so I piggybacked on the knowledge out there to get a working solution. For t...

calculate the area of an java.awt.geom.Area?
I have a java.awt.geom.Area, created from the combination of some polygons (by adding them), and I would like to calculate the area of my new object. The Area class does not include such a method. (and neither did the Polygon class). Any tips on how I could do it? -- Josef Garvi "Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees" http://www.eden-foundation.org/ new income - better environment - more food - less poverty Josef Garvi schrieb: > I have a java.awt.geom.Area, created from the combination of some > polygons (by adding them), and I would like to calcul...

area calculation
Is there a built-in cadence function to calculate the area of any polygon or rectangle in cadence ? i could do it myself but i am wondering if it already existed > Is there a built-in > cadence function to calculate the area of any > polygon or rectangle in cadence ? There's such a function in the turbo toolbox, if I remember correctly. No public SKILL function that I'm aware of, though. St�phane see if this works for you??? (inScheme (defun jenPolygonArea (perim "l") (let ((ymin (apply 'min (mapcar 'cadr perim)))) (let ((area (lambda (p1 p2...

calculate the area
Hi All, I need to calculate the area for the following curve: y/(1-y)=c*x/(1-x) Can any one help me to get a formula? Thanks! Steven I assume you don't have Mathematica? This is too easy... In[188]:= Solve[y/(1 - y) == c*x/(1 - x), y] Out[188]= {{y -> (c x)/(1 - x + c x)}} In[189]:= Integrate[(c x)/(1 - x + c x), x] Out[189]= c (x/(-1 + c) - Log[1 - x + c x]/(-1 + c)^2) Obviously, 1 - x + c x and x-1 shouldn't be zero Cheers -- Sjoerd On Sep 24, 10:14 am, Steven <stevenwang....@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I need to calculate...

Calculation of Area
Hi, I am currently plotting x and y coordinates representing the "center of foot pressure" for both the left (-x) and right (+x) foot for each Hz of data collected, during running, on the same plot. I currently have a loop, from which I am plotting each foot step's instantaneous x and y position while the foot is on the ground. The loop ends when the foot leaves the ground. As a result I have a created a figure which overlaps each step's center of pressure line (series of instantaneous x-y coordinates) for both the left and right feet. I would like to now quantify the are...

area calculation
how to calculate the area of white portions in a threshold image? On Mar 28, 8:45=A0am, "RAJAN " <rdutt...@yahoo.com> wrote: > how to calculate the area of white portions in a threshold image? =A0 the command "regionprops" may help you shows many properties as area, major axis etc. On Mar 27, 11:45=A0pm, "RAJAN " <rdutt...@yahoo.com> wrote: > how to calculate the area of white portions in a threshold image? =A0 ------------------------------------------------ See my image segmentation tutorial, BlobsDemo: http://www.mathworks.co...

calculating area
Hi all, I have a set of data, that can be plotted into 2D curve. Its x axis is time domain, my time step is 1 second. I got this from measurement device. Somehow, I need to find the area under this measurement curve. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Btw, I have the measurement data listed on excel file. Thanks In article <7302192.1187208575836.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org>, arya <arya.dirgayasa@gmail.com> wrote: >I have a set of data, that can be plotted into 2D curve. Its x axis is time domain, my time step is 1 second. I got this from measurement device. Some...

How would you calculate this area?
Hi. I’m trying to determine some areas of irregular shapes and would like to hear some recommendations on how to achieve it. The situation is this. It is basically a soil slope with different layers. I have to determine the total weight of each of the vertical slices shown in the figure below (the red vertical lines are the limits of each slice). However, each of the different soil layers has a different density (and it also varies depending on whether the soil is dry or not, where the yellow line is the water table). I’m only interested in the area that is not in grey. http://www.flickr....

Area calculations?
Is there a simple way to numericaly calculate the area of contours made with the contour command? cheers "Olle" <olleorama@gmail.com> kirjoitti viestiss� news:28612049.1139464750449.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org... > Is there a simple way to numericaly calculate the area of contours made with the contour command? > > cheers contour returns the contour levels as polygons so polyarea should give you the area then. marky ...

Calculate Area
Hi, What is the unit when I use the calculate area function? I'd trying to convert it to miles. map units. look in the help. AGP "aliceinphx" <alice.chen0@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177618806.664495.310460@s33g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > What is the unit when I use the calculate area function? I'd trying > to convert it to miles. > ...

Calculating areas
I have a lisp program that will calculate the sum of areas. The units is in sq in. Is there a way to modify the program to make the units sq ft besides dividing by 144 on a calculator? Any help is appreciated. (DEFUN C:AREASADD () (PROMPT "\nSELECT AREAS TO ADD TOGETHER: ") (SETQ P_AREA 0.0) (SETQ SS (SSGET)) (WHILE (> (SSLENGTH SS) 0) (SETQ EN (SSNAME SS 0)) (SETQ ED (ENTGET EN)) (SETQ AS (CDR (ASSOC '0 ED))) (IF (or (= AS "LWPOLYLINE") (= as "POLYLINE")) (PROGN (COMMAND "_AREA" "_E" EN) (SETQ P_AREA (+ P_AREA (...

BUG: Area calculations
I just noticed that area calculations are based on displayed face area and not actual face area. Create a disk with a hole in the center. Turn on section view and make sure it cuts the disk in half. Measure the surface area. Now turn off the section view and measure the same face. Should measure twice what it was in the section view. This is not right. Section view should only open inner details, not change the area of the internal faces. Call your VAR and report it. I had the same thing here. Corey "P." <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message news:1102879447.881258.12040@z1...

Varying a Latitude/Longitude
A while ago while I was in the Army I co-wrote an exercise SIGINT generator with a friend. We made a mess of a few functions called VaryLat and VaryLong. The functions basically took in two arguments: a Latitude or Longitude and an amount to vary it by(in seconds). The second parameter could be any number positive or negative. The real issues started rising when we figured out that crossing over either the 90' mark or the 180' mark was throwing off our numbers. The functions turned out to be very long seeing as how neither of us was very experience with Perl at the time. I wish I had t...

Area calculation #5
Hi All, Im a beginner in Matlab and have been given a task to segmentate liver from ct images. I have managed to use threshold and sharpen the image to a certain level and have used bwlabel to label the connected regions. Now, I need help on how to use regionprop to just make the liver as the ROI. I have thought of using the Area property but would need assistance on how to compute the areas for each labeled region and then compare them to get the biggest area. Look forward for your help. Thank you in advance! P/s:sorry if my question is too shallow. Im still learning how to use Matlab :D O...

area calculation #3
I want to calculate area of a object in an binary image. For binary image , I (x,y)=1, for object pixels and I (x,y)=0, for backgrond pixels. then the estimation of area ia given by the equation, Area = summation of I(x,y) Please tell me how to implement this formula. Thank you. "krishna " <ingle.krishna@gmail.com> wrote in message <g3dl4q$129$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I want to calculate area of a object in an binary image. > > For binary image , I (x,y)=1, for object pixels and > I (x,y)=0, for back...

Problem in calculating area!
Hello, I have some samples that has different degrees of damage. http://drop.io/rlv072i you can see that there are two boundaries. I am trying to calculate the area of the small one. I tried to adjust the contrast, and then use some of the previously posted scripts such as creaseg and ImROI, it couldn't detect the small area. #[code] I=imread('sample.jpg'); J = IMADJUST(I,[0.1; 0.8],[0.2; 0.9],20); % I made gamma large, as it showed the area more visible. %imshow(I) %figure; %imshow(J) imwrite(J,'test_gamma.jpg'); h=rgb2gray(J); A = adapthisteq...

Area calculation #2
Hi, I Have a plot (x,y) (x and y are vectors), tha axis are ([-3000 3000 0 6000 ]), is there any mean to calculate the area between the plotted line and the line x=0; thanks a lot How about the trapezoidal rule? help trapz ...

Calculate Area of a Polygon
Hello, Calculating the area of a polygon is commonplace in land surveying. I was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to look at the program AREA and perhaps show me how to make it more efficient. Kindly keep the suggestions within the realm of User-RPL. Regards, Mark AREA: \<< 1 CF " DEFINE AREA" { "" { 1 0 } V } INPUT OBJ\-> DEPTH \->LIST DUP SIZE 1 \<< 1 \<-size FOR \<-x \<-points \<-x GET RCLPT 1 FS? \<< SWAP \>> IFT DROP NEXT \>> \<< \<-size DUPN \<-size R...