f



Circular statistics in IDL

Does any one know if there is a circular statistics tool in IDL similar to the CircStat in Matlab? or any other tool to work with complex numbers

Thanks

Gadi
0
Gadi
12/13/2016 9:20:13 AM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

3 Replies
103 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 30

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 01:20:14 UTC-8, Gadi Goelman  wrote:
> Does any one know if there is a circular statistics tool in IDL similar to the CircStat in Matlab? or any other tool to work with complex numbers
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Gadi

Hi Gadi,

I haven't seen an IDL library available, but when I needed some circular statistics (a.k.a. directional statistics) I wrote that up myself. What I did computed the mean, variance and standard deviation.

The CircStat library certainly is comprehensive:
https://github.com/circstat/circstat-matlab

How much of that functionality do you think you will need? 

Cheers,
-Dick

Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com
0
Dick
12/13/2016 4:10:29 PM
On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 6:10:30 PM UTC+2, Dick Jackson wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 01:20:14 UTC-8, Gadi Goelman  wrote:
> > Does any one know if there is a circular statistics tool in IDL similar to the CircStat in Matlab? or any other tool to work with complex numbers
> > 
> > Thanks
> > 
> > Gadi
> 
> Hi Gadi,
> 
> I haven't seen an IDL library available, but when I needed some circular statistics (a.k.a. directional statistics) I wrote that up myself. What I did computed the mean, variance and standard deviation.
> 
> The CircStat library certainly is comprehensive:
> https://github.com/circstat/circstat-matlab
> 
> How much of that functionality do you think you will need? 
> 
> Cheers,
> -Dick
> 
> Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com

Thanks Dick
What I need is to calculate significance of complex numbers or phases. Do you know if correct calculations of mean, variance etc is sufficient? I guess that you cant assume normal distributions and different distributions are needed such circular Gaussian.

Best,

Gadi 
0
Gadi
12/20/2016 4:05:01 PM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 11:05:03 AM UTC-5, Gadi Goelman wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 6:10:30 PM UTC+2, Dick Jackson wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 01:20:14 UTC-8, Gadi Goelman  wrote:
> > > Does any one know if there is a circular statistics tool in IDL simil=
ar to the CircStat in Matlab? or any other tool to work with complex number=
s
> > >=20
> > > Thanks
> > >=20
> > > Gadi
> >=20
> > Hi Gadi,
> >=20
> > I haven't seen an IDL library available, but when I needed some circula=
r statistics (a.k.a. directional statistics) I wrote that up myself. What I=
 did computed the mean, variance and standard deviation.
> >=20
> > The CircStat library certainly is comprehensive:
> > https://github.com/circstat/circstat-matlab
> >=20
> > How much of that functionality do you think you will need?=20
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > -Dick
> >=20
> > Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> > Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com
>=20
> Thanks Dick
> What I need is to calculate significance of complex numbers or phases. Do=
 you know if correct calculations of mean, variance etc is sufficient? I gu=
ess that you cant assume normal distributions and different distributions a=
re needed such circular Gaussian.

I'm a big fan of the Rayleigh (Z) statistic.  It's pretty easy to calculate=
..  For an array of unit complex number U, it's=20

Z =3D total(abs(U)^2)

In the case of the null hypothesis (only noise), the Z statistic is distrib=
uted as a chi-square with 2 degrees of freedom.  You you can use IDL's chi-=
square statistic to test statistical significance, or my equivalent MPCHITE=
ST() function.

Craig

0
Craig
12/21/2016 5:25:02 PM
Reply: