communication between 2 computers using a socket

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi guys,

Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...

nata
0
Reply bernat.puigdomenech (306) 7/19/2010 6:14:29 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Jul 19, 2:14=A0pm, nata <bernat.puigdomen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
> I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
> communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
> My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
> different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
> procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
> unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I don't think so.  You need a way to have a "listen" socket - i.e. the
server side - which IDL does not appear to provide.

Craig
0
Reply Craig 7/19/2010 7:21:19 PM

Hi Nata,

You can use the socket routines on my site to do this.

http://www.kilvarock.com/dlms.htm

Look for idl_tools

-Ronn Kling

0
Reply ronn 7/19/2010 9:27:05 PM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:14:29 -0700 (PDT), nata wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
>I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
>communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
>My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
>different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
>procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
>unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.
>
>I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...
>
>nata

You can try idl_tools from Randall Frank and Ronn Kling:
http://www.kilvarock.com/idl_tools.htm. The description says, that the
SOCK_CREATEPORT(portnum) function creates a listening socket.

But I don't know, if it works. I never tried it.

Heinz
0
Reply Heinz 7/19/2010 9:28:21 PM

Hi guys,

I already tried to use these librearies but I have a problem when i
try to load the DLMs. I get the following error:

% DLM_LOAD: Error loading sharable executable.
            Symbol: IDL_Load, File = C:\Archivos de programa\ITT
\IDL70\bin\bin.x86\idl_tools.dll

The application can not be applied because the configuration is wrong.
Reinstall the application can solve the problem.

I'm using IDL 7.0 !
Suggestions ? Thank you in advance,

bernat
0
Reply ISO 7/20/2010 1:07:29 PM

Installing the following drivers, the libraries work

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

Thank you Ronn
0
Reply nata 7/20/2010 4:26:23 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 10762 articles. 10 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Using Internet tool kit how to communicate with 2 computers which are far apart and each computer is part of local network
Hi, &nbsp; I started using internet tool kit very recently. I have an application as briefed below, Computer 1 is connected to local network 1. Computer 2 is connected to&nbsp;Remote network 2. Network 1 and Remote network 2 are far apart and they are connected to internet. It is required to open a Telnet session between computer 1 and 2 through internet. How to achieve this? Which are the functions to be used? Where to enter Gateway&nbsp; and Subnet mask&nbsp;addresses? Can any body help me out. &nbsp; Regards &nbsp; SajK &nbsp; &nbsp; ...

MPICH-2 not using sockets for communication?
Hi, Does someone know if MPICH-2 can be compiled to avoid socket communication when processes are launched in the same machine? Maybe what can only be done is to launch mdp and mpiexec using UNIX family sockets instead of TCP/IP? My purpose is to compare MPICH-2 with our implementation of MPI which avoids socket communication when launching processes in the same machine. Regards, Manuel Cotallo, University of Extremadura. On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:22:49 +0100, manolinux <mcotallo@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does someone know if MPICH-2 can be compiled to avoid socket > co...

communication through modem and using sockets #2
hi, im in the need to implement the following scenario. there will be several PC's with each having a modem and a telephone connection. No PC has the internet access. All PC's should have the ability to connect to any other PC by just dialing the corresponding telephone number. After connected, they need to communicate using the TCP/IP protocol. ( i.e i need to use Sockets in the communication.). PC's will have Windows Me/98 as the O/s. (this is similar to what happens with hyperterminal, but i think the difference is the protocol used in the communication.) I...

Setting Up Data socket communications channels using LV 8.2 and KEPServerEX
Does anyone have some sample LV code that shows how establish communications to a PLC using KepServerEX and LV datasockets hey could share? &nbsp; My application is to control a temperature chamber with LV. The chamber has a Mitsubish PLC. I am using KepserverEX but Kepware's documentation looks useless for getting started. &nbsp; Thanks fo the help Tony ...

communication between 2 socket
Hello, I have to develop the following project: ( 1 Client with 1 server ) ClientPLC ServerPLC ServerPCL sends commands to ClientPLC that answers back. ( N Clients with 1 Server ) Server PC Client PC ClientPC sends commands to ServerPC that before sending back the answers, communicate with the ServerPLC. Use Case: ClientPC sends command "AAA" --> erverPC --->"AAA"--->ServerPLC--->"AAA"--->ClientPLC. At this point the ClientPLC sends "OK"--->ServerPLC--->"OK"--->ServerPC--->"OK"-->ClientPC Is tha...

communication between 2 socket
Hello, I have to develop the following project: ( 1 Client with 1 server ) ClientPLC ServerPLC ServerPCL sends commands to ClientPLC that answers back. ( N Clients with 1 Server ) Server PC Client PC ClientPC sends commands to ServerPC that before sending back the answers, communicate with the ServerPLC. Use Case: ClientPC sends command "AAA" --> erverPC --->"AAA"--->ServerPLC--->"AAA"--->ClientPLC. At this point the ClientPLC sends "OK"--->ServerPLC--->"OK"--->ServerPC--->"OK"-->ClientPC Is tha...

Communicating between 2 seperate sockets
Hiya, I hope I'm using the correct group here. I'm a newbie to C. I need a Java program and external program to send and receive messages to and from each other, but the only way I can do it is through a C program (and it has to be C due to the external hardware). As a result, I am writing a C program that will create a client socket to the Java program and a server socket to an external program. So, I need the program to: Set up a client socket to the Java program Set up as a server Accept a client connection from the external program Listen for messages from the...

Problem using sockets #2
Hi, I am trying to connect to a couple of serve[one after the other [in case I cannot connect to one of them] The code I am using is rc = bind(sd, (struct sockaddr *) &localAddr, sizeof(localAddr)); if(rc<0) { printf("cannot bind port %u\n",SERVER_PORT); perror("error "); exit(1); } if (connect(sd, (struct sockaddr *) &servAddr, sizeof(servAddr)) < 0) { { printf("cannot connect\n"); //exit(1); return; } In some cases I can bind the port ,but I cannot connect.And the program...