communication between 2 computers using a socket

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi guys,

Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...

nata
0
Reply bernat.puigdomenech (306) 7/19/2010 6:14:29 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Jul 19, 2:14=A0pm, nata <bernat.puigdomen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
> I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
> communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
> My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
> different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
> procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
> unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I don't think so.  You need a way to have a "listen" socket - i.e. the
server side - which IDL does not appear to provide.

Craig
0
Reply Craig 7/19/2010 7:21:19 PM

Hi Nata,

You can use the socket routines on my site to do this.

http://www.kilvarock.com/dlms.htm

Look for idl_tools

-Ronn Kling

0
Reply ronn 7/19/2010 9:27:05 PM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:14:29 -0700 (PDT), nata wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
>I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
>communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
>My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
>different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
>procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
>unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.
>
>I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...
>
>nata

You can try idl_tools from Randall Frank and Ronn Kling:
http://www.kilvarock.com/idl_tools.htm. The description says, that the
SOCK_CREATEPORT(portnum) function creates a listening socket.

But I don't know, if it works. I never tried it.

Heinz
0
Reply Heinz 7/19/2010 9:28:21 PM

Hi guys,

I already tried to use these librearies but I have a problem when i
try to load the DLMs. I get the following error:

% DLM_LOAD: Error loading sharable executable.
            Symbol: IDL_Load, File = C:\Archivos de programa\ITT
\IDL70\bin\bin.x86\idl_tools.dll

The application can not be applied because the configuration is wrong.
Reinstall the application can solve the problem.

I'm using IDL 7.0 !
Suggestions ? Thank you in advance,

bernat
0
Reply ISO 7/20/2010 1:07:29 PM

Installing the following drivers, the libraries work

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

Thank you Ronn
0
Reply nata 7/20/2010 4:26:23 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 11191 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Using Internet tool kit how to communicate with 2 computers which are far apart and each computer is part of local network
Hi, &nbsp; I started using internet tool kit very recently. I have an application as briefed below, Computer 1 is connected to local network 1. Computer 2 is connected to&nbsp;Remote network 2. Network 1 and Remote network 2 are far apart and they are connected to internet. It is required to open a Telnet session between computer 1 and 2 through internet. How to achieve this? Which are the functions to be used? Where to enter Gateway&nbsp; and Subnet mask&nbsp;addresses? Can any body help me out. &nbsp; Regards &nbsp; SajK &nbsp; &nbsp; ...

MPICH-2 not using sockets for communication?
Hi, Does someone know if MPICH-2 can be compiled to avoid socket communication when processes are launched in the same machine? Maybe what can only be done is to launch mdp and mpiexec using UNIX family sockets instead of TCP/IP? My purpose is to compare MPICH-2 with our implementation of MPI which avoids socket communication when launching processes in the same machine. Regards, Manuel Cotallo, University of Extremadura. On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:22:49 +0100, manolinux <mcotallo@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does someone know if MPICH-2 can be compiled to avoid socket > co...

communication through modem and using sockets #2
hi, im in the need to implement the following scenario. there will be several PC's with each having a modem and a telephone connection. No PC has the internet access. All PC's should have the ability to connect to any other PC by just dialing the corresponding telephone number. After connected, they need to communicate using the TCP/IP protocol. ( i.e i need to use Sockets in the communication.). PC's will have Windows Me/98 as the O/s. (this is similar to what happens with hyperterminal, but i think the difference is the protocol used in the communication.) I...

Setting Up Data socket communications channels using LV 8.2 and KEPServerEX
Does anyone have some sample LV code that shows how establish communications to a PLC using KepServerEX and LV datasockets hey could share? &nbsp; My application is to control a temperature chamber with LV. The chamber has a Mitsubish PLC. I am using KepserverEX but Kepware's documentation looks useless for getting started. &nbsp; Thanks fo the help Tony ...

communication between 2 socket
Hello, I have to develop the following project: ( 1 Client with 1 server ) ClientPLC ServerPLC ServerPCL sends commands to ClientPLC that answers back. ( N Clients with 1 Server ) Server PC Client PC ClientPC sends commands to ServerPC that before sending back the answers, communicate with the ServerPLC. Use Case: ClientPC sends command "AAA" --> erverPC --->"AAA"--->ServerPLC--->"AAA"--->ClientPLC. At this point the ClientPLC sends "OK"--->ServerPLC--->"OK"--->ServerPC--->"OK"-->ClientPC Is tha...

communication between 2 socket
Hello, I have to develop the following project: ( 1 Client with 1 server ) ClientPLC ServerPLC ServerPCL sends commands to ClientPLC that answers back. ( N Clients with 1 Server ) Server PC Client PC ClientPC sends commands to ServerPC that before sending back the answers, communicate with the ServerPLC. Use Case: ClientPC sends command "AAA" --> erverPC --->"AAA"--->ServerPLC--->"AAA"--->ClientPLC. At this point the ClientPLC sends "OK"--->ServerPLC--->"OK"--->ServerPC--->"OK"-->ClientPC Is tha...

Communicating between 2 seperate sockets
Hiya, I hope I'm using the correct group here. I'm a newbie to C. I need a Java program and external program to send and receive messages to and from each other, but the only way I can do it is through a C program (and it has to be C due to the external hardware). As a result, I am writing a C program that will create a client socket to the Java program and a server socket to an external program. So, I need the program to: Set up a client socket to the Java program Set up as a server Accept a client connection from the external program Listen for messages from the...

Problem using sockets #2
Hi, I am trying to connect to a couple of serve[one after the other [in case I cannot connect to one of them] The code I am using is rc = bind(sd, (struct sockaddr *) &localAddr, sizeof(localAddr)); if(rc<0) { printf("cannot bind port %u\n",SERVER_PORT); perror("error "); exit(1); } if (connect(sd, (struct sockaddr *) &servAddr, sizeof(servAddr)) < 0) { { printf("cannot connect\n"); //exit(1); return; } In some cases I can bind the port ,but I cannot connect.And the program...

communication through modem and using sockets
hi, im in the need to implement the following scenario. there will be several PC's with each having a modem and a telephone connection. No PC has the internet access. All PC's should have the ability to connect to any other PC by just dialing the corresponding telephone number. After connected, they need to communicate using the TCP/IP protocol. ( i.e i need to use Sockets in the communication.). PC's will have Windows Me/98 as the O/s. (this is similar to what happens with hyperterminal, but i think the difference is the protocol used in the communication.) I...

How do I use the 1750 ROM socket ? #2
Hi there, In order to use the ROM socket on the 1750 do I just need to solder in a socket and pop in a ROM ? I tried that and the C128 doesn't boot up :-( The ROM itself is fine, it works in the C128's socket with no issues. However I've a suspicion that I might need to put across a jumper or two. On the board I can see : J5 - ROMHL J4 - ROML J3 - ROMH At the moment none of them are shorted ... am I supposed to cross one of these to get the ROM socket working ? If so which one does what ? Thanks! Mark ...

Communication between 2 processes by using signals
How 2 independent processes can communicate ( say to passing some chunk of data) with "signals". Is it possible ? Are signals is counted in IPC (Inter Process Communication). Tx and regds Ajay Singh ajay <ajay_kumarsingh@yahoo.com> wrote: > How 2 independent processes can communicate ( say to passing some > chunk of data) with "signals". Is it possible ? > Are signals is counted in IPC (Inter Process Communication). If you really need to you probably can, you can also implement TCP/IP via carrier pigeons. You could e.g. code a binary 0 by sending SIGUSR1 a...

Using Other Computers processing power #2
I am trying to use some idle pc in my office to speed up my applications (AutoCAD apps and 3D Max) Does anybody out there know how you can connect up computers and utilise the other pc to speed up my work ...

how to communicate 2 pcs using Matlab
I am trying to communicate my 2 pcs. pc A will read sensor data from serial port continuously, how can I let pc B to read this data via Ethernet? Has anyone got this experience? Thanks in advance ...

How to use Distributed Computing Toolbox? #2
I am a green hand.I am studying to use Matlab Distributed Computing Toolbox.Would you please give me a simple example just like this: There are 3 tasks in a job,each task compute "1+1" and give the result "2" back to me.In this case, I can get all the "2"s.I tried time and time again,but failed.Help!Please help me!Would you please show me the right code.Thank you very much! ...

Using cable modem on 2 computers?
Hi I have scientific atlanta dpx110 cable modem and I have two computers at my house. I would like to have both computers be able to use the broadband connection. The modem has a ethernet connection and a usb connection on the back of it. Would it work if I connected one computer with the usb and the other with the ethernet and only use one computer at a time? Or should I run a ethernet cable directly from the one computer to the other? Or should I use a router? I really dont know what to do. Would all those options work or is there only one way to do it? I would appreciate any help th...

Re: Socket communication for contrib #2
I would be FOR it if the README states the dangers Bob Henkel 651-738-5085 Mutual Funds I/T Woodbury Hartford Life 500 Bielenberg Drive Woodbury, MN 55125 |---------+----------------------------> | | Hans-J�rgen | | | Sch�nig | | | <postgres@cyberte| | | c.at> | | | | | | 04/05/2004 10:59 | | | AM | | | | |---------+------------...

[...]

How to use GPIB communication check in LabVIEW #2
There is one power supply in our office from Agilent. How to develop software for that Power supply using LabVIEW we should be able to change the voltage via GPIB interface. If you have the GPIB commands for your Agilent device in its product&nbsp;manual&nbsp;and&nbsp;a GPIB card, just go to Block diagram functions-&gt; instrument i/o-&gt; gpib and you have&nbsp;a set of GPIB functions. Also look at attached VI&nbsp;( taken from labview examples shipped with labview) to get an idea on how to do GPIB write Regards Dev &nbsp; LabVIEW_GPIB.vi: http://forums.ni.c...

Using MatLab to communicate to a PS/2 port
Is it possible to communicate to a mouse PS/2 port using MatLab? As far as I can tell it can only be used to connect to a USB, parallel port, or certain types of hardware. Thank you. michael Michael Purdy wrote: > Is it possible to communicate to a mouse PS/2 port using MatLab? As far > as I can tell it can only be used to connect to a USB, parallel port, or > certain types of hardware. Thank you. PS/2 ports are serial ports, and can in theory be controlled as serial objects -- but how well that theory can be put to practice may, I suspect, vary with the operati...

Using HTTP to communicate with another computer over the internet
Does anyone know how to utilize WEBPCM (or another facility) to send an HTTP message from our LX6100 MCP mainframe to another IP address over the internet? We have a business partner who utilizes HTTP in providing a very useful service to us. I would think that the mechanisms are similar to those utilized in responding to Web based transactions initiated by others that the mainframe is servicing (I have never done any of that, either). In our case, however, we are initiating the transaction and need to verify that the transaction was successful by awaiting a response. The CCF manual for ou...

Use Your Computer To Make Money Online #2
Are you looking for a job? Do you like to work from your home using your computer? Then this might be something for you. It is all about online surveys and more. Please visit our website http://www.incomewhilehome.com for more information. Thanks for looking. ...

Communication between 2 matlab programs on different computer
Hi Everyone, I would like to create two Matlab programs, a client and a server, than can exchange information. The client and server will be on different computer on the internet. The client, with a nice GUI, should be able to connect to the server, send some matlab commands or a file to the server. The server need to read the commands or the file, do some matlab processing and send back the result to the client. First, is using TCP/IP the best way to do this? I know about the TCP/IP/UDP toolbox, but it seems that matlab cant do multithread so I'm not sure it can work because if the ...

TCP communication of 2 computers running Matlab
I am trying to send/receive data between two computers running Matlab with the tcpip object. From what I can tell, there is no way to have Matlab "LISTEN" for the other computer to open a TCP connection. Can someone verify this? I find it strange we have the ability to open TCP connections, but do not have the ability to allow another application to open a TCP connection with Matlab. Has anyone been able to get Matlab to listen for tcpip connections? Before I make this project more complicated, I want to make sure I am not missing an easier route. Thanks, Steve "steven.bak&...