communication between 2 computers using a socket

Hi guys,

Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...

nata
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12155 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Jul 19, 2:14=A0pm, nata <bernat.puigdomen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
> I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
> communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
> My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
> different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
> procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
> unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I don't think so.  You need a way to have a "listen" socket - i.e. the
server side - which IDL does not appear to provide.

Craig
0
Craig
7/19/2010 7:21:19 PM
Hi Nata,

You can use the socket routines on my site to do this.

http://www.kilvarock.com/dlms.htm

Look for idl_tools

-Ronn Kling

0
ronn
7/19/2010 9:27:05 PM
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:14:29 -0700 (PDT), nata wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
>I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
>communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
>My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
>different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
>procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
>unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.
>
>I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...
>
>nata

You can try idl_tools from Randall Frank and Ronn Kling:
http://www.kilvarock.com/idl_tools.htm. The description says, that the
SOCK_CREATEPORT(portnum) function creates a listening socket.

But I don't know, if it works. I never tried it.

Heinz
0
Heinz
7/19/2010 9:28:21 PM
Hi guys,

I already tried to use these librearies but I have a problem when i
try to load the DLMs. I get the following error:

% DLM_LOAD: Error loading sharable executable.
            Symbol: IDL_Load, File = C:\Archivos de programa\ITT
\IDL70\bin\bin.x86\idl_tools.dll

The application can not be applied because the configuration is wrong.
Reinstall the application can solve the problem.

I'm using IDL 7.0 !
Suggestions ? Thank you in advance,

bernat
0
ISO
7/20/2010 1:07:29 PM
Installing the following drivers, the libraries work

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

Thank you Ronn
0
nata