communication between 2 computers using a socket

Hi guys,

Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...

nata
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 11656 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Jul 19, 2:14=A0pm, nata <bernat.puigdomen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
> I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
> communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
> My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
> different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
> procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
> unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I don't think so.  You need a way to have a "listen" socket - i.e. the
server side - which IDL does not appear to provide.

Craig
0
Craig
7/19/2010 7:21:19 PM
Hi Nata,

You can use the socket routines on my site to do this.

http://www.kilvarock.com/dlms.htm

Look for idl_tools

-Ronn Kling

0
ronn
7/19/2010 9:27:05 PM
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:14:29 -0700 (PDT), nata wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
>I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
>communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
>My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
>different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
>procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
>unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.
>
>I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...
>
>nata

You can try idl_tools from Randall Frank and Ronn Kling:
http://www.kilvarock.com/idl_tools.htm. The description says, that the
SOCK_CREATEPORT(portnum) function creates a listening socket.

But I don't know, if it works. I never tried it.

Heinz
0
Heinz
7/19/2010 9:28:21 PM
Hi guys,

I already tried to use these librearies but I have a problem when i
try to load the DLMs. I get the following error:

% DLM_LOAD: Error loading sharable executable.
            Symbol: IDL_Load, File = C:\Archivos de programa\ITT
\IDL70\bin\bin.x86\idl_tools.dll

The application can not be applied because the configuration is wrong.
Reinstall the application can solve the problem.

I'm using IDL 7.0 !
Suggestions ? Thank you in advance,

bernat
0
ISO
7/20/2010 1:07:29 PM
Installing the following drivers, the libraries work

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

Thank you Ronn
0
nata

Communication between Java and VB 6
Hi you all, I need to exchange data from a VB 6 application to a Java application on the same machine. I read a bit on this but would appreciate some advice wrt: - SOAP could be an option, but I understand that it uses TCP and requires an HTTP server. I think this is a bit too much overhead, but I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time :-) ). - Socket to socket communication might be a better choice, or would it? - Writing with VB to a binary file and "polling" the file with Java is the brute force approach but might be easier to get going. However, synchronization is li...

Great Computing Surface for Road Warriors
Despite having worked with a laptop day in day out, I only landed up with aching wrists, strained neck and back; with my work still pending. I could quote several reasons for it - my laptop processor runs too hot, my laptop keeps slipping from the pillow, plus the aching back. I know most of you agree with me. Now let me share with you the absolutely comfortable solution I found. It's called the laptop desk which revolutionized the whole process of computing for me with it's ergonomic design and heat dissipating ventilation channels. I highly recommend it, check it for yourself - www....

Player Pro Limitations #2
Hi all, I have started using Player Pro. I am a hobbyist, and was led to believe that this was an inexpensive alternative to the full Mathematica (PS I can't purchase Home Edition, as I live in Australia). After hours of playing with this product, I still have many unanswered questions. They are as follows, and I would be glad if someone could enlighten me on these: (1) Is there any documentation, "getting started" guides or tutorials that are SPECIFIC to Player Pro ?? Unfortunately, the only help option from the Help menu dumps you straight into the full Mat...

Letter to Computer Users
As everyone knows, the Internet is getting worse and worse. Mostly, it is computer illiterate users that are causing this. And most users send chain letters. So why not start a chain letter of our own? Start sending this out to all your friends and family. Perhaps we can get this to be a worldwide phenomenon! ------------ Hello. The computer geeks of the world would like to inform you that the Internet is on the verge of crumbling. We geeks are working hard to save it, but your help is required. 1. If you receive spam (junk) email, delete it immediately. Do not order anything advertised via ...

Using the Renesas E8 for H8S/2633
I have a board with a H8S/2633F which I program with a HMSE UPB (Universal Programming Boards), and now when needing to reproduce the whole setup, I cannot find a trace of the HMSE UPB anywhere. I simply cannot get hold of one... so I called Renesas and they recommended to use the E8 with FDT (Flash Development Toolkit) where I can specify which pins do what so that it can be interfaced with my board. However, the information on this is scarce at best, non-existant at worst... so Q is if someone has programmed H8S/26xx series of MPUs with the E8 and how the pinout of the programming interface ...

Phone number formatting #2
So, I have a list of phone numbers in various formats I.e. the users have written them in different styles, with and without dashes, spaces and so on. Now I want to format them. I have a text file with all the area codes for Sweden, so I remove any non-digit character from the phone number and then I parse out the area code. I am now left with the phone number. An example: In-data: 0703051947 Parse out area code: 070 Phone number: 3051947 Now, I have an array with formattings, that looks like this: $formats = array("### ##", "## ## ##", "### ## ##&...

Single precision variables #2
I have an assignment to explore the effects of round-off error. To do this I need certain variables to remain single precision throughout the program. I noticed that 'double' is called whenever 'for' or 'while' loops are used. I have many of these loops in the program. I need a way to make sure that these variables are single precision even during the loops. Thanks. ...

howto create winxp image to use from bootp?
or any others ms-OS? pls help Leszek. ...

license issue #2
Dear All, I have a C program using postgresql api (embeded SQL). I plan to distribute= it's source under the terms of GNU. I would like to know if there is any restrictions for th= is issue. Regards, --=20 Ertan K=FC=E7=FCko=F0lu ertank@ozlerplastik.com ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ? http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html ...

javascript xpath
can i join those two queries into one ? //div[@class='menu']/a[@href='x.html']/following-sibling::br //div[@class='menu']/a[@href='x.html']" ...

Transient #2
Can someone please give me an assist... I've been using Transient for some while now and the previous version worked perfectly okay with the configs/choices I had for it. Unfortunately I updated it in March to 2.05 and since then the auto expire has not worked correctly, though I've tried all sorts choices combinations. RO Select 6.20 on a SARPC. To keep this simple. I want to keep 5 day directories. Thereafter, by the day, at the start of the day, I want it to expire the sixth. I don't want it to warn me it is expiring the sixth, I just want it to do it. In Transient Choice...

SAS Renewal #2
Dear all, I got the renewal text file for SAS 9.2 and I was wondering if I can use it to renew SAS 9.1? Also, my SAS program has already expired so I cannot open the program. Is it possible to renew via command prompt? or other methods? thank you so much, claus ...

Why MFC can't use xPC Target COM API?
Now I use xpc .I read xPC API User's and Reference Guides. It provide how to use xPC Target COM API in visual basic. Now I want to realize this in Visual C++6. In my MFC programm,I use AUTOMATION to get the COM class. ClassWizard/AddClass/from A type Library inlude xpcapicom.dll and xpc_tank1COMiface.dll. in the OnInitDialog() write code IxPCProtocol protocol_obj BOOL bSuccess=protocol_obj.CreateDispatch(_T("XpcapiCOM.xPCProtocol")); if(!bSuccess){ AfxMessageBox("Failed protocol"); } protocol_obj.Init(); ..... protocol_obj.ReleaseDispatch(); compile ok! Then make! it ...

rRe: Does somebody know why google stopped updating groups? #2
Joe Seigh wrote: > >Works fine. "host groups.google.com" on my firewall gives > >groups.google.com is an alias for groups.google.akadns.net. >groups.google.akadns.net has address 216.239.37.99 >groups.google.akadns.net has address 216.239.37.104 >groups.google.akadns.net has address 216.239.37.147 > > >Try different ip addresses instead of the name to see if that's it. >Works for the 3 ip addresses I'm getting from DNS. > >Joe Seigh At first I pinged groups.google.com. It was resolved to 216.239.51.104. Then I went to one of addresses...

Efficient local communication
Is it possible to avoid a bunch of overheads by having two CORBA objects some-how detect when they are on a common machine (and are otherwise compatible - eg implemented in the same language, sharing same memory management, etc) so that they can communicate by passing references to data (in local memory) rather than the data itself? I've just looked around with google and found a bunch of papers that suggested this was a research area, but not common practice. Can someone confirm that (or, much better, tell me it's already easy to do!)? Thanks, Andrew Hi, andrew@aco...

Inter-process communication for real-time
For my Arm9 board, my application will have 2 or 3 processes or maybe threads and one of ( pipe, socket, fifo, msg queue or shared memory, or?) to pass data between them. The data is about 100bytes every 50ms. Assuming I just have vanilla Linux or uCLinux without any real-time enhancements, which of the above methods will have the least processor overhead, so as to be a bit closer to meeting real-time deadlines? My guess is that pthreads with shared memory might be best, but maybe not. tns1 wrote: > For my Arm9 board, my application will have 2 or 3 processes or maybe > ...

sed script #2
I would like to use sed to search and replace in one line: sed 's/10.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*/(2008)/' x.txt // here the hostname gets replaced with the 2008.(The variable appears at the end of the line 2006, 2007, 2008) sed 's/[0-9]*$/found!&/' x.txt //search for the year at the end of the line here. my problem is - within the same line i would like to search for 2 values, then would like to replace the hostname with the year as variables. (both as variables) The variable are also next to each other in the line. wish somebody can help here!!! thanks, Thewie. -- Thew...

O/T: Patenting a computational scheme?
I have come up with a computational scheme for structural analysis which I believe is novel. I have spoken to one of my professors about it and they agree that some concepts in it are unique. However, they have suggested that I research the literature more for similar schemes. Can a *scheme* for computing something be granted Intellectual Property protection? E.g. hypothetically speaking, could the inventor of Finite Elements have patented his work and gotten royalties for every subsequent code that used his ideas? What about the inventors of CFD & SPH? How are IP rights enforced? Withou...

Re: (fwd) build problem on MacOS X 10.2.8
On Jan 19, 2004, at 6:53 AM, Steve Lidie wrote: > -- forwarded message -- > Path: > Lehigh.EDU!newsread.com!newsstand.newsread.com!news.maxwell.syr.edu! > newshub.sdsu.edu!elnk-nf2-pas!newsfeed.earthlink.net!attbi_feed4! > attbi.com!attbi_s54.POSTED!not-for-mail > From: "George B. Smith" <gbjsmith@mac.com> > Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.tk > Subject: build problem on MacOS X 10.2.8 > User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.3b1 (PPC Mac OS X) > Message-ID: <gbjsmith-566266.18195718012004@netnews.comcast.net> > Lines: 117 > NNTP-Po...

get the pause status from amarok 2.1
As the title says, I'm trying to find a way to get the pause status from amarok 2.1. I'm running kubuntu 9.04 with kde 4.2.2, python 2.6.2. Thanks in advance. Sleepy Cabbage schrieb: > As the title says, I'm trying to find a way to get the pause status from > amarok 2.1. > > I'm running kubuntu 9.04 with kde 4.2.2, python 2.6.2. > > Thanks in advance. Not at my linux-system right now, but dcop and the respective python-module should help. Diez On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:55:07 +0200, Diez B. Roggisch wrote: > Sleepy Cabbage schrieb: >> As the t...

imread error #2
Error in ==> imread at 441 [X, map] = feval(fmt_s.read, filename, extraArgs{:}); Error in ==> framesplit at 7 [data,map]=imread(X,'frames','all'); i am getting this error when i am trying to read an "jpeg" image. how can i fix it. though the same code works if i use mmreader() function to read the file. "komal bhambhani" <komalbhambhani28@gmail.com> wrote in message news:l6ndqu$iog$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Error in ==> imread at 441 > [X, map] = feval(fmt_s.read, filename, extraArgs{:}); > > Err...

Re: Python advocacy in scientific computation #2
On Mar 4, 2006, at 5:55 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote: > On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 22:05:19 -0500, David Treadwell > <i.failed.turing.test@gmail.com> declaimed the following in > comp.lang.python: > > >> My ability to think of data structures was stunted BECAUSE of >> Fortran and BASIC. It's very difficult for me to give up my bottom-up >> programming style, even though I write better, clearer and more >> useful code when I write top-down. >> >> IIRC, during 1984, my senior year, BYTE magazine had a cover story on OOP. (OH, how I loved ...

How to use perl to get lots of domans's IP address?

Artificial Life, Bio-Inspired Computation and Complex Systems
Dear worldwide colleagues: I have recently moved to another Lab. (LaSEEB - Evolutionary Systems and Biomedical Engineering Lab., IST), and a new webpage is now available. My research interests involve Artificial Life, Bio-Inspired Computation and Complex Systems. Many of my works on these areas as well as broad applications in Data Mining, Image Processing, Pattern Recognition, Learning, Classification, Optimization, etc, are now available through PDF files. New URL: http://www.laseeb.org/vramos/ Kind regards, Vitorino [ comp.ai is moderated ... your article may take a while to appear. ] On...

Nested Comparisons Using Logic Operator
Is there a way to do the following using only one if statement? I want the if statement do the following comparison: a <= B <= c : to determine if B should be assigned to another array. Thanks. Vinny Vinny Costa wrote: > > > Is there a way to do the following using only one if statement? > > I want the if statement do the following comparison: > > a <= B <= c > > : to determine if B should be assigned to another array. > > Thanks. > > Vinny There are some tricks like: ismember(b,a:c) % if values are integers ((b-a)*(c-b) >= 0) sum(h...