communication between 2 computers using a socket

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi guys,

Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...

nata
0
Reply bernat.puigdomenech (306) 7/19/2010 6:14:29 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Jul 19, 2:14=A0pm, nata <bernat.puigdomen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
> I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
> communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
> My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
> different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
> procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
> unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.

I don't think so.  You need a way to have a "listen" socket - i.e. the
server side - which IDL does not appear to provide.

Craig
0
Reply Craig 7/19/2010 7:21:19 PM

Hi Nata,

You can use the socket routines on my site to do this.

http://www.kilvarock.com/dlms.htm

Look for idl_tools

-Ronn Kling

0
Reply ronn 7/19/2010 9:27:05 PM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:14:29 -0700 (PDT), nata wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>Is it possible to communicate 2 PCs via a socket ?
>I have an internal network and I just want to make 2 computers
>communicate with each other in order to have control for 1 program.
>My initial idea is to open a socket and read and write from these 2
>different computers. Reading the documentation I see "The SOCKET
>procedure opens a client-side TCP/IP Internet socket as an IDL file
>unit" so I don't know if I can do what I want.
>
>I'm using Windows, anykind of help is appreciated...
>
>nata

You can try idl_tools from Randall Frank and Ronn Kling:
http://www.kilvarock.com/idl_tools.htm. The description says, that the
SOCK_CREATEPORT(portnum) function creates a listening socket.

But I don't know, if it works. I never tried it.

Heinz
0
Reply Heinz 7/19/2010 9:28:21 PM

Hi guys,

I already tried to use these librearies but I have a problem when i
try to load the DLMs. I get the following error:

% DLM_LOAD: Error loading sharable executable.
            Symbol: IDL_Load, File = C:\Archivos de programa\ITT
\IDL70\bin\bin.x86\idl_tools.dll

The application can not be applied because the configuration is wrong.
Reinstall the application can solve the problem.

I'm using IDL 7.0 !
Suggestions ? Thank you in advance,

bernat
0
Reply ISO 7/20/2010 1:07:29 PM

Installing the following drivers, the libraries work

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

Thank you Ronn
0
Reply nata 7/20/2010 4:26:23 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 11229 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Using Internet tool kit how to communicate with 2 computers which are far apart and each computer is part of local network
Hi, &nbsp; I started using internet tool kit very recently. I have an application as briefed below, Computer 1 is connected to local network 1. Computer 2 is connected to&nbsp;Remote network 2. Network 1 and Remote network 2 are far apart and they are connected to internet. It is required to open a Telnet session between computer 1 and 2 through internet. How to achieve this? Which are the functions to be used? Where to enter Gateway&nbsp; and Subnet mask&nbsp;addresses? Can any body help me out. &nbsp; Regards &nbsp; SajK &nbsp; &nbsp; ...

MPICH-2 not using sockets for communication?
Hi, Does someone know if MPICH-2 can be compiled to avoid socket communication when processes are launched in the same machine? Maybe what can only be done is to launch mdp and mpiexec using UNIX family sockets instead of TCP/IP? My purpose is to compare MPICH-2 with our implementation of MPI which avoids socket communication when launching processes in the same machine. Regards, Manuel Cotallo, University of Extremadura. On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:22:49 +0100, manolinux <mcotallo@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does someone know if MPICH-2 can be compiled to avoid socket > co...

communication through modem and using sockets #2
hi, im in the need to implement the following scenario. there will be several PC's with each having a modem and a telephone connection. No PC has the internet access. All PC's should have the ability to connect to any other PC by just dialing the corresponding telephone number. After connected, they need to communicate using the TCP/IP protocol. ( i.e i need to use Sockets in the communication.). PC's will have Windows Me/98 as the O/s. (this is similar to what happens with hyperterminal, but i think the difference is the protocol used in the communication.) I...

Setting Up Data socket communications channels using LV 8.2 and KEPServerEX
Does anyone have some sample LV code that shows how establish communications to a PLC using KepServerEX and LV datasockets hey could share? &nbsp; My application is to control a temperature chamber with LV. The chamber has a Mitsubish PLC. I am using KepserverEX but Kepware's documentation looks useless for getting started. &nbsp; Thanks fo the help Tony ...

problems with in 2.3.2 developed modules used with 2.2.2
Sorry for the long header of this mail ;-) Has anyone experienced modules developed in 2.3.2 (using IDLE and = PythonWin as IDE) don't work under 2.2.2.... I mean basic stuff like it = can not see classes from your .py file, so an import fails? It almost likes that in my case 2.2.2 doesn't like the file format = generated by IDLE or PythonWin in 2.3.2. Does someone know if this is a known problem? Vincent Try deleting the .pyc version of the file... maybe 2.2.2 doesn't realize that the magic number is wrong and that it should recompile from the .py source. Kevin. "Raa...

communication between 2 socket
Hello, I have to develop the following project: ( 1 Client with 1 server ) ClientPLC ServerPLC ServerPCL sends commands to ClientPLC that answers back. ( N Clients with 1 Server ) Server PC Client PC ClientPC sends commands to ServerPC that before sending back the answers, communicate with the ServerPLC. Use Case: ClientPC sends command "AAA" --> erverPC --->"AAA"--->ServerPLC--->"AAA"--->ClientPLC. At this point the ClientPLC sends "OK"--->ServerPLC--->"OK"--->ServerPC--->"OK"-->ClientPC Is tha...

communication between 2 socket
Hello, I have to develop the following project: ( 1 Client with 1 server ) ClientPLC ServerPLC ServerPCL sends commands to ClientPLC that answers back. ( N Clients with 1 Server ) Server PC Client PC ClientPC sends commands to ServerPC that before sending back the answers, communicate with the ServerPLC. Use Case: ClientPC sends command "AAA" --> erverPC --->"AAA"--->ServerPLC--->"AAA"--->ClientPLC. At this point the ClientPLC sends "OK"--->ServerPLC--->"OK"--->ServerPC--->"OK"-->ClientPC Is tha...

Problems compiling programs using wxWindows 2.2.9 using GCC-3.2.3
PLATFORM: Windows XP COMPILER: g++ Version 3.2.3 wxWINDOWS VERSION: wxWindows 2.2.9 Hi: I have successfully compiled wxWindows 2.2.9 on MinGW-3.0.0-rc4 [GCC Version 3.2.3] after commenting out the compilation of dynlib.cpp and fontenum.cpp (error at line 155) in the makefile.g95. The 2 source files were causing compilation errors which caused make to exit with an errnum of 1. My problem is this. A sample "Hello, World!" program - basic.cpp - fails during linking: C:\myzz>make 2>err g++ --pipe -c -D_X86_=1 -DWIN32 -D_WIN32 -DWINVER=0x0400 -D__WIN95__ -D__...

Sockets #2 #2
I have the following code but when I try to send message beteewn client both have to enter a string before the first string appears on the other person screen how can I make it so that when first start the cleint and enter a string it appears stright away not only after they enter a string? import java.io.*; import java.net.*; import java.util.*; public class Client{ private static final int PORTNUM = 44130; public static void main(String[] args) { Socket socket; DataInputStream in; PrintStream out; String address; try { s...

computer #2 #2
A computer is a machine that manipulates data according to a list of instructions. The first devices that resemble modern computers date to the mid-20th century (around 1940 - 1945), although the computer concept and various machines similar to computers existed earlier. Early electronic computers were the size of a large room, consuming as much power as several hundred modern personal computers.[1] Modern computers are based on tiny integrated circuits and are millions to billions of times more capable while occupying a fraction of the space. [2] Today, simple computers may be made small eno...

wxMSW 2.5.2 (Sep 2004 cvs version)
Compiler: VC++ 6.0 wxWidgets 2.5.2 cvs Sep 2004 version Platform: Windows I have an application and a dll that work on Windows and Mac. Both the application and dll are dynamically linked with wxWidgets. Within the dll, I start two threads A and B. Thread A does some processing and goes to sleep using = wxThread::Sleep(30000) Later, Thread B does some processing and goes to sleep using = wxThread::Sleep(10000) Thread B wakes up and starts running after sleeping for 10 seconds. = Thread A never gets scheduled. It gets stuck. I have already tried using SetPriority and Yie...

2 computers, 2 NICs each, 2 LANs
What happens if you have 2 (or more) computers, with 2 NICs each and assign different IP addresses/ranges to corresponding NICs? For example: Computer 1: NIC 1: 192.168.1.2 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 NIC 2: 192.168.100.2 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Computer 2: NIC 1:192.168.1.3 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 NIC 2:192.168.100.3 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 The computers would be connected by one or two routers. If two routers, one for the 192.168.1.xxx NICs, and one for the 192.168.100.xxx NICs (would it matter if 1 or 2?) Or, would be connected by two crossover cables - one on 192.168.1.xxx NICs, one on 19...

2 computers, 2 NICs each, 2 LANs
What happens if you have 2 (or more) computers, with 2 NICs each and assign different IP addresses/ranges to corresponding NICs? For example: Computer 1: NIC 1: 192.168.1.2 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 NIC 2: 192.168.100.2 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Computer 2: NIC 1:192.168.1.3 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 NIC 2:192.168.100.3 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 The computers would be connected by one or two routers. If two routers, one for the 192.168.1.xxx NICs, and one for the 192.168.100.xxx NICs (would it matter if 1 or 2?) Or, would be connected by two crossover cables - one on 192.168.1.xxx NICs, one on 19...

Communicating between 2 seperate sockets
Hiya, I hope I'm using the correct group here. I'm a newbie to C. I need a Java program and external program to send and receive messages to and from each other, but the only way I can do it is through a C program (and it has to be C due to the external hardware). As a result, I am writing a C program that will create a client socket to the Java program and a server socket to an external program. So, I need the program to: Set up a client socket to the Java program Set up as a server Accept a client connection from the external program Listen for messages from the...

Problem using sockets #2
Hi, I am trying to connect to a couple of serve[one after the other [in case I cannot connect to one of them] The code I am using is rc = bind(sd, (struct sockaddr *) &localAddr, sizeof(localAddr)); if(rc<0) { printf("cannot bind port %u\n",SERVER_PORT); perror("error "); exit(1); } if (connect(sd, (struct sockaddr *) &servAddr, sizeof(servAddr)) < 0) { { printf("cannot connect\n"); //exit(1); return; } In some cases I can bind the port ,but I cannot connect.And the program...

communication through modem and using sockets
hi, im in the need to implement the following scenario. there will be several PC's with each having a modem and a telephone connection. No PC has the internet access. All PC's should have the ability to connect to any other PC by just dialing the corresponding telephone number. After connected, they need to communicate using the TCP/IP protocol. ( i.e i need to use Sockets in the communication.). PC's will have Windows Me/98 as the O/s. (this is similar to what happens with hyperterminal, but i think the difference is the protocol used in the communication.) I...

Optical Computing: special issue
CALL FOR PAPERS Special issue on Optical SuperComputing Natural Computing journal, Springer-Verlag ------------------------------------------------------------------ Scope Using light, instead of electric power, for performing computations is an exciting idea whose applications can be already seen on the market. Without any doubt photons play an important role for transferring information and doing some low-level information processing. Current research concerning ultrafast-switches and detectors as well as the usage of quantum mechanical properties of photons have led to a renewed interest...

using gcc 3.2.2-5 to compile glibc-2.2.93
Hi, Sorry if this is not the appropriate group or my question has already been posted. I wonder if anybody has experienced building glibc-2.2.93 with gcc-3.2.2. I currently using gcc-3.2.2-5, with glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7 on a RH9.0. The glibc i am trying to build as a test glibc is 2.2.93. Here is what i did: % unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH % export CFLAGS="-s -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -march=i686 -funroll-loops" % ./configure --enable-add-ons --prefix=/usr/i686-glibc-2.2.93/ % make Segmentation The failing point seems to be in iconv....

How do I use the 1750 ROM socket ? #2
Hi there, In order to use the ROM socket on the 1750 do I just need to solder in a socket and pop in a ROM ? I tried that and the C128 doesn't boot up :-( The ROM itself is fine, it works in the C128's socket with no issues. However I've a suspicion that I might need to put across a jumper or two. On the board I can see : J5 - ROMHL J4 - ROML J3 - ROMH At the moment none of them are shorted ... am I supposed to cross one of these to get the ROM socket working ? If so which one does what ? Thanks! Mark ...

Communication between 2 processes by using signals
How 2 independent processes can communicate ( say to passing some chunk of data) with "signals". Is it possible ? Are signals is counted in IPC (Inter Process Communication). Tx and regds Ajay Singh ajay <ajay_kumarsingh@yahoo.com> wrote: > How 2 independent processes can communicate ( say to passing some > chunk of data) with "signals". Is it possible ? > Are signals is counted in IPC (Inter Process Communication). If you really need to you probably can, you can also implement TCP/IP via carrier pigeons. You could e.g. code a binary 0 by sending SIGUSR1 a...

Using Other Computers processing power #2
I am trying to use some idle pc in my office to speed up my applications (AutoCAD apps and 3D Max) Does anybody out there know how you can connect up computers and utilise the other pc to speed up my work ...

how to communicate 2 pcs using Matlab
I am trying to communicate my 2 pcs. pc A will read sensor data from serial port continuously, how can I let pc B to read this data via Ethernet? Has anyone got this experience? Thanks in advance ...

How to use Distributed Computing Toolbox? #2
I am a green hand.I am studying to use Matlab Distributed Computing Toolbox.Would you please give me a simple example just like this: There are 3 tasks in a job,each task compute "1+1" and give the result "2" back to me.In this case, I can get all the "2"s.I tried time and time again,but failed.Help!Please help me!Would you please show me the right code.Thank you very much! ...

Using cable modem on 2 computers?
Hi I have scientific atlanta dpx110 cable modem and I have two computers at my house. I would like to have both computers be able to use the broadband connection. The modem has a ethernet connection and a usb connection on the back of it. Would it work if I connected one computer with the usb and the other with the ethernet and only use one computer at a time? Or should I run a ethernet cable directly from the one computer to the other? Or should I use a router? I really dont know what to do. Would all those options work or is there only one way to do it? I would appreciate any help th...