Cursor in Mac OS X 10.5.6 w/X11 2.2.3 and 2.3.2

Hi, I know this problem has come up before, but I was unable to find a
solution that worked in the group.

The problem:
cursor,x,y,/down
or any variation results in a dead terminal and X-window.  Using ctrl-
c at the terminal and then clicking on the terminal works:
IDL> cursor,x,y,/down,/device
% Interrupted at: $MAIN$
IDL> print,x,y
         522         105

Using "defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through -bool true" has
no effect.  Installing the latest version of IDL (7.0.6) also had no
effect.  The error occurs both with IDL run remotely and locally.
I've tried both versions of X11 listed in the subject.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam
0
keflavich (32)
2/2/2009 4:25:37 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

I realize this is not super helpful but everything seems to work for
me correctly...

[balarsen@wireless1x-8-61]~> idl
IDL Version 7.0.4, Mac OS X (darwin x86_64 m64). (c) 2008, ITT Visual
Information Solutions
IDL> plot, findgen(11)
IDL>  cursor,x,y,/down
IDL> print, x, y
       4.1469264       5.7047893
IDL>  cursor,x,y,/down,/device
IDL> print,x,y
         565         297

OSX 10.5.6 build 9G55
Macbook Pro - done locally

The newest X11/pkg seems to be 2.3.2.1 from here:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/
At one point X11.pkg was an issue as you state in the subject.

I seem to have 2.1.5 however... but since it's working and you're
having trouble I may not upgrade.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Larsen
Boston University
Center for Space Physics
http://people.bu.edu/balarsen/Home/IDL

0
balarsen (265)
2/2/2009 4:39:43 PM
> [balarsen@wireless1x-8-61]~> idl
> IDL Version 7.0.4, Mac OS X (darwin x86_64 m64). (c) 2008, ITT Visual
> Information Solutions
> IDL> plot, findgen(11)
> IDL> =A0cursor,x,y,/down
> IDL> print, x, y
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A04.1469264 =A0 =A0 =A0 5.7047893
> IDL> =A0cursor,x,y,/down,/device
> IDL> print,x,y
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0565 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 297

Actually, that's helpful to some degree - I have a couple versions of
IDL installed, apparently, but my startup line is:
IDL Version 7.0, Mac OS X (darwin i386 m32). (c) 2007, ITT Visual
Information Solutions

instead of the Version 7.0.6 with x86_64 I expect.  So perhaps I have
a version issue?  The executable I'm using that I believe is 7.0.6 is
in the same directory as a version.txt file containing "706", so I'm
not sure what the problem is.

> The newest X11/pkg seems to be 2.3.2.1 from here:http://xquartz.macosforg=
e.org/trac/
> At one point X11.pkg was an issue as you state in the subject.

That's the one I got this morning.

> I seem to have 2.1.5 however... but since it's working and you're
> having trouble I may not upgrade.

That's a good call.  Last time I upgraded X11 it broke many things and
I lost a day trying to revert everything.
0
keflavich (32)
2/2/2009 4:53:49 PM
Keflavich writes:

> instead of the Version 7.0.6 with x86_64 I expect.  So perhaps I have
> a version issue?  The executable I'm using that I believe is 7.0.6 is
> in the same directory as a version.txt file containing "706", so I'm
> not sure what the problem is.

I think the problem is the screwy naming convention used
by ITTVIS. Version 7.0.6 seems to be the *Eclipse* version
of IDL. The IDL version remains 7.0. That means you are
at the same level as my 7.0.3 version. Got it?

Cheers,

David
--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming (www.dfanning.com)
> I think the problem is the screwy naming convention used
> by ITTVIS. Version 7.0.6 seems to be the *Eclipse* version
> of IDL. The IDL version remains 7.0. That means you are
> at the same level as my 7.0.3 version. Got it?

I'm still a bit spotty... does that mean I don't have the 7.0.4 update
that includes the Mac OS X cursor/rdpix fixes?  Since this is the only
version I was able to download at ITT's website, I assumed it included
that update, and the release notes seem to confirm that suspicion.

I suppose I should mention that I exclusively use the command line
version of IDL, not the Mac .app.  I tried using the Mac .app and
cursor seemed to work for that, but apparently I don't have a license
for that version.  Why should the .app and unix executable have such
different behavior?  Am I simply using the wrong executable?

Thanks,
Adam
0
keflavich (32)
2/2/2009 5:08:09 PM
Keflavich writes:

> I'm still a bit spotty... does that mean I don't have the 7.0.4 update
> that includes the Mac OS X cursor/rdpix fixes?  Since this is the only
> version I was able to download at ITT's website, I assumed it included
> that update, and the release notes seem to confirm that suspicion.
>
> I suppose I should mention that I exclusively use the command line
> version of IDL, not the Mac .app.  I tried using the Mac .app and
> cursor seemed to work for that, but apparently I don't have a license
> for that version.  Why should the .app and unix executable have such
> different behavior?  Am I simply using the wrong executable?

I don't know what it means. I can't figure it out. :-(

I guess it means we need guidance from ITTVIS to tell
us what it all means. If we find out, I'll write it down
somewhere so we can remember it. :-)

Cheers,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming (www.dfanning.com)
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
news2122 (4023)
2/2/2009 5:14:56 PM
> I think the problem is the screwy naming convention used
> by ITTVIS. Version 7.0.6 seems to be the *Eclipse* version
> of IDL. The IDL version remains 7.0. That means you are
> at the same level as my 7.0.3 version. Got it?

That is screwy and confusing.  I have the eclipse version installed
but don't use it.  I just type idl and use the command line and
aquamacs.  I can type idlde to get the eclipse version should I want
it, but so far I haven't figured out why I would.

Brian

Brian Larsen
Boston University
Center for Space Physics
http://people.bu.edu/balarsen/Home/IDL
0
balarsen (265)
2/2/2009 5:52:16 PM
I found the answer thanks to a friend down the hall.  While
defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through -bool true
does not work, there is an option in X11:Preferences:Window called
"Click-through Inactive Windows" that needs to be enabled.

Thanks for the help,
Adam
0
keflavich (32)
2/2/2009 6:11:01 PM
On Feb 2, 1:11=A0pm, Keflavich <keflav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found the answer thanks to a friend down the hall. =A0While
> defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through -bool true
> does not work, there is an option in X11:Preferences:Window called
> "Click-through Inactive Windows" that needs to be enabled.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Adam

Interesting that "Click-through Inactive Windows" fixed it... mine is
not checked.

Brian

Brian Larsen
Boston University
Center for Space Physics
http://people.bu.edu/balarsen/Home/IDL
0
balarsen (265)
2/2/2009 6:14:00 PM
Brian Larsen writes:

> That is screwy and confusing.  I have the eclipse version installed
> but don't use it.  I just type idl and use the command line and
> aquamacs.  I can type idlde to get the eclipse version should I want
> it, but so far I haven't figured out why I would.

I prefer to think of it as one of those endearing things
about IDL that makes it so much fun to work with. ;-)

Cheers,

David
--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming (www.dfanning.com)
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
news2122 (4023)
2/2/2009 6:17:24 PM
Brian Larsen writes:

> Interesting that "Click-through Inactive Windows" fixed it... mine is
> not checked.

Ah, the joys of UNIX. I'm always fairly shocked when people
complain about Windows. I wish I could count up all the hours
of productivity that were lost with the "free" KDE 4 "upgrade".

Cheers,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming (www.dfanning.com)
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
news2122 (4023)
2/2/2009 6:24:09 PM
In article
<1defb877-fcee-4495-aee6-0638dfd7c32c@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 Keflavich <keflavich@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found the answer thanks to a friend down the hall.  While
> defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through -bool true
> does not work, there is an option in X11:Preferences:Window called
> "Click-through Inactive Windows" that needs to be enabled.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Adam

We seem to have many fewer problems when we run the
XQuartz distribution

   http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

It seems to have fewer bugs and generally works better.

Ken Bowman
0
k-bowman5971 (289)
2/2/2009 9:29:13 PM
> We seem to have many fewer problems when we run the
> XQuartz distribution
>
> =A0 =A0http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki
>
> It seems to have fewer bugs and generally works better.
>
> Ken Bowman

That's what I'm using; I'm not sure what the difference is between
XQuartz and Mac X11 if there is any; as far as I can tell XQuartz is
just the implementation of X.org for Mac.

Adam
0
keflavich (32)
2/3/2009 1:35:59 AM
On Feb 2, 11:39=A0am, Brian Larsen <balar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize this is not super helpful but everything seems to work for
> me correctly...
>
> [balarsen@wireless1x-8-61]~> idl
> IDL Version 7.0.4, Mac OS X (darwin x86_64 m64). (c) 2008, ITT Visual
> Information Solutions
> IDL> plot, findgen(11)
> IDL> =A0cursor,x,y,/down
> IDL> print, x, y
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A04.1469264 =A0 =A0 =A0 5.7047893
> IDL> =A0cursor,x,y,/down,/device
> IDL> print,x,y
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0565 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 297
>
> OSX 10.5.6 build 9G55
> Macbook Pro - done locally
>
> The newest X11/pkg seems to be 2.3.2.1 from here:http://xquartz.macosforg=
e.org/trac/
> At one point X11.pkg was an issue as you state in the subject.
>
> I seem to have 2.1.5 however... but since it's working and you're
> having trouble I may not upgrade.

I'm running Xquartz 2.3.2.1 with no problems.  In fact, the new
version solved a lot of problems for me, especially because windows
used to spontaneously die.suddenly die.

I also do not have the "click through to inactive windows" preferences
setting enabled, but "wm_click_through" *is* set, whatever that means.

I definitely needed to upgrade to the newest version of IDL in order
to make CURSOR work properly:
{ x86_64 darwin unix Mac OS X 7.0.4 Sep  3 2008      64      64}
I have no idea about Eclipse.

Craig
On 2 Feb., 18:52, Brian Larsen <balar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think the problem is the screwy naming convention used
> > by ITTVIS. Version 7.0.6 seems to be the *Eclipse* version
> > of IDL. The IDL version remains 7.0. That means you are
> > at the same level as my 7.0.3 version. Got it?
>
> That is screwy and confusing. =A0I have the eclipse version installed
> but don't use it. =A0I just type idl and use the command line and
> aquamacs. =A0I can type idlde to get the eclipse version should I want
> it, but so far I haven't figured out why I would.

Interesting, I am using Aquamacs too but never type idl, except for
testing which idl Vesion I have! You don't use idlwave?

IDL executable Version: IDL Version 7.0.4, Mac OS X (darwin ppc m32)

Workbench Version is: Version: 7.0.3        Build id: 20080908

In fact it is more than confusing these different version systems. I
assume for calculation, means application of idl, the executable
version is important, for development with the workbench the other
one! I think up to now the system variables reflect the executable
verion only.

The X11 Implementation (I am using 2.3.2.1 too from XQuartz) has
problems still, at least at PowerPC. I am trying to stay up to date.
Each revision gave improvements!

Karsten
0
karo03de (16)
2/3/2009 7:53:03 AM
In article
<bd040af9-456e-4d93-9674-6d256144617f@w1g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
 Keflavich <keflavich@gmail.com> wrote:

> > We seem to have many fewer problems when we run the
> > XQuartz distribution
> >
> > � �http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki
> >
> > It seems to have fewer bugs and generally works better.
> >
> > Ken Bowman
>
> That's what I'm using; I'm not sure what the difference is between
> XQuartz and Mac X11 if there is any; as far as I can tell XQuartz is
> just the implementation of X.org for Mac.
>
> Adam

Apple's X11 and XQuartz have the same code base, but the X11 that
Apple distributes with OS X lags well behind XQuartz in terms of
bug fixes, etc.

Ken
0
k-bowman5971 (289)
2/3/2009 2:14:06 PM
> Interesting, I am using Aquamacs too but never type idl, except for
> testing which idl Vesion I have! You don't use idlwave?

I actually do but just for the editing help.  I have a bunch of
different IDL setups that I use making it just easier to use the
command line.  For example the THEMIS package has namespace issues
with SolarSoft so you can only have one in your path at a time and I
have some DLMs that are 64 bit and some that are 32 so its just
easier.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Larsen
Boston University
Center for Space Physics
http://people.bu.edu/balarsen/Home/IDL

0
balarsen (265)
2/3/2009 6:19:52 PM
On Feb 2, 9:53=A0am, Keflavich <keflav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, that's helpful to some degree - I have a couple versions ofIDLi=
nstalled, apparently, but my startup line is:IDLVersion 7.0, Mac OS X (darw=
in i386 m32). (c) 2007, ITT Visual
> Information Solutions
>
> instead of the Version 7.0.6 with x86_64 I expect. =A0So perhaps I have
> a version issue? =A0The executable I'm using that I believe is 7.0.6 is
> in the same directory as a version.txt file containing "706", so I'm
> not sure what the problem is.

IDL 7.0.6 is a full IDL product release with a core version IDL 7.0.6
and an IDL Workbench version to match.  IDL 7.0.6 incorporates all
previous recommended version 7.0.x Workbench updates.

If the IDL session shows version 7.0 instead of 7.0.6 then the older
core IDL 7.0 session is actually being invoked.  If so, there are a
couple of different reasons I can think this might be happening:

1.) If the IDL_DIR environment variable in your shell environment is
pointing to the "idl70" directory rather than to the "idl706"
directory, then launching "idl" shell script, even from the idl706/bin
directory, will cause IDL 7.0 to launch. If this might be the case,
try redefining IDL_DIR to point to the idl706 directory or running the
IDL 7.0.6 setup script prior to issuing the "idl" command. For
example:

Bash shell:
    export IDL_DIR=3D/Applications/itt/idl706
-or-
    . /Applications/itt/idl706/bin/idl_setup.bash

C or tcsh shell:
    setenv IDL_DIR=3D/Applications/itt/idl706
-or-
    source /Applications/itt/idl706/bin/idl_setup

2.) Perhaps a UNIX alias or a symbolic link for the "idl" command is
explicitly launching IDL 7.0. To check this, issue the command:

    which idl
-or-
    alias idl

If this returns the path to an incorrect symbolic link or an incorrect
alias command, the link or alias can be altered, or try running the
IDL 7.0.6 setup script, as mentioned above, before issuing the "idl"
command to start the IDL 7.0.6 command line session.

If there still seems to be a problem, please send an email to
support@ittvis.com with a subject line "Attention: Jim Uba", and then
I'll continue to work with you directly. I can then post a solution
when we figure what is going wrong.

Hopefully correcting the IDL version problem will allow you use the
CURSOR fix as originally planned.

Cheers,

Jim Uba
Technical Support Engineer