distributed IDL or IDL on a Grid

Hi,
We just concluded a little project which explored how one can make IDL
work in a distributed environment.  In particular, we investigated
ways to create IDL clients for Web Services (examples dealt with
accessing remote astronomical data and visualizing it locally via
IDL).  The prototype was implemented using Globus.  In addition, we
can run parallel IDL sessions on Grid nodes (nodes connected over
WAN).  Now we are supposed to submit Phase 2 proposal to NASA and are
seeking for the community feedback.

In particular, we have the following questions:

Do you have scenarios when grid-IDL makes sense?
Do you have suggestions for us?
Do you want to partner with us to make a product?
Do you think you could co-fund the project (along with NASA) provided
that we include the feautures that make it interesting to you?

Thanks,
Svetlana Shasharina
Tech-X Corporation

0
sveta1 (4)
6/29/2007 9:35:10 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Jun 30, 6:35 am, s...@txcorp.com wrote:
> Hi,
> We just concluded a little project which explored how one can make IDL
> work in a distributed environment.  In particular, we investigated
> ways to create IDL clients for Web Services (examples dealt with
> accessing remote astronomical data and visualizing it locally via
> IDL).
</snip>
I don't know the specifics of globus. I am wodering what is the upside
of using IDL in such circumstances as opposed to using say, MySQL/
postgreSQL dbase + php graphing lib for accessing data and
visualizing? What is the effect on memory in your large simulations?
Are there any benchmarks available?

<snip>
> Do you have scenarios when grid-IDL makes sense?
</snip>
As opposed to what? I am still confused what would IDL be offering in
terms of speed/memory etc. when compared to other opensource viz
tools. Besides, may be a stupid question, but is there a parallel
IDL?? I mean can you parallelize it like, say using MPICH?
Please show us bench marks :-) Besides, how would these play out for
someone with telephone connection? :D
Cheers,
/rk

0
rkombiyil (60)
6/30/2007 2:48:20 AM
> Do you have scenarios when grid-IDL makes sense?
Any scenario where transactions between nodes must be piped through
HTTP.
This implies that the clients are somehow remote, in which case you
would need to rely
on the free IDL-VM license. AFAIK administration of licensing for
remote clients is not feasible.

IDL does not offer useful levels of abstraction for dealing with
distributed data.
For example, there is no way to do array processing without loading
the entire array.
This isn't a show stopper, but it does force the programmer to do some
bookkeeping
and less inclined to be quick, tidy and interactive.

> Do you have suggestions for us?
Provide the ability to bootstrap the IDL virtual machine. (Send the VM
to the client and run the process)

Robbie

0
retsil (153)