ENVI + IDL

Folks,

When you do a clean install of ENVI + IDL on Windows, there
is a trick you need to do to get the IDL workbench to
appear. I learned about it at an ENVI seminar, but Windows 7
ate those files. :-(

Anyone know what this trick is? Otherwise, I'm going to have
to do all my work in ENVI.

Thanks,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.

David Fanning wrote:
> Folks,
>
> When you do a clean install of ENVI + IDL on Windows, there
> is a trick you need to do to get the IDL workbench to
> appear. I learned about it at an ENVI seminar, but Windows 7
> ate those files. :-(
>
> Anyone know what this trick is? Otherwise, I'm going to have
> to do all my work in ENVI.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

???? are you sure?
.... the only "trick" I need is: start/all program / Envi / IDL.... and I
have installed it on several machines

Jean
0
jghasban (475)
10/30/2009 7:55:04 PM
Jean H. schrieb:
> David Fanning wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> When you do a clean install of ENVI + IDL on Windows, there
>> is a trick you need to do to get the IDL workbench to
>> appear. I learned about it at an ENVI seminar, but Windows 7
>> ate those files. :-(
>>
>> Anyone know what this trick is? Otherwise, I'm going to have
>> to do all my work in ENVI.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David
>
> ???? are you sure?
> ... the only "trick" I need is: start/all program / Envi / IDL.... and I
> have installed it on several machines
>
> Jean

  Same here ...

Mort
0
m.canty (106)
11/1/2009 8:58:50 PM
Mort Canty writes:

>   Same here ...

Humm. Well, I've installed it on two machines, too.
And when I run ENVI+IDL I  see ENVI, but *not* IDL.
I know there is a trick, because I have used it before
when this happened to me. I just can't remember it.
It is hell to grow old. :-(

Maybe it is because I already have IDL installed when
I install ENVI?

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
news2122 (4023)
11/1/2009 9:37:16 PM
On Nov 1, 6:58=A0pm, Mort Canty <m.ca...@fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> > ???? are you sure?
> > ... the only "trick" I need is: start/all program / Envi / IDL.... and =
> > have installed it on several machines
>
> > Jean
>
> =A0 Same here ...
>
> Mort

For me, too. I do not remember ever having a problem like this.
0
pp.penteado (366)
11/1/2009 11:59:04 PM
pp writes:

> On Nov 1, 6:58=A0pm, Mort Canty <m.ca...@fz-juelich.de> wrote:
>=20
> >
> > > ???? are you sure?
> > > ... the only "trick" I need is: start/all program / Envi / IDL.... an=
d I
> > > have installed it on several machines
> >
> > > Jean
> >
> > =A0 Same here ...
> >
> > Mort
>=20
> For me, too. I do not remember ever having a problem like this.

I suppose it could be a vision thing, rather than a memory
thing, but I just got new glasses. :-(

Cheers,

David

P.S. Let's just say, that after 20+ years, I think I would
recognize a damn IDL command line!

--=20
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
news2122 (4023)
11/2/2009 12:42:18 AM
On Nov 1, 7:42=A0pm, David Fanning <n...@dfanning.com> wrote:
> pp writes:

> > > =A0 Same here ...
>
> > > Mort
>
> > For me, too. I do not remember ever having a problem like this.
>
> I suppose it could be a vision thing, rather than a memory
> thing, but I just got new glasses. :-(
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> P.S. Let's just say, that after 20+ years, I think I would
> recognize a damn IDL command line!
>
> --
> David Fanning, Ph.D.
> Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
> Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming:http://www.dfanning.com/
> Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")

By default the IDL Workbench is iconized when you start ENVI+IDL. If
this is the case, you can change that behavior by editing the <blah>
\ITT\IDL71\idlde\idlde.ini file and removing the line that says "-
minimized", if I remember correctly.

If you are seeing ENVI but not Workbench at all (iconized or not),
then you are using a runtime ENVI license, not a full license.

Installing ENVI after you have already installed IDL should not, as
far as I recall, be an issue. Is your ENVI+IDL shortcut pointing at
"<blah>\ITT\IDL71\idlde\envi_idl.exe"?

Robert Moss writes:

> By default the IDL Workbench is iconized when you start ENVI+IDL. If
> this is the case, you can change that behavior by editing the <blah>
> \ITT\IDL71\idlde\idlde.ini file and removing the line that says "-
> minimized", if I remember correctly.
>
> If you are seeing ENVI but not Workbench at all (iconized or not),
> then you are using a runtime ENVI license, not a full license.
>
> Installing ENVI after you have already installed IDL should not, as
> far as I recall, be an issue. Is your ENVI+IDL shortcut pointing at
> "<blah>\ITT\IDL71\idlde\envi_idl.exe"?

Ah, ha! Thank you!

Cheers,

David