FYI: What's New in IDL 8.6

Hi all,

Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of it unt=
il yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about what's ne=
w in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=E2=80=
=A6 can anyone add detail?):

http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/1997/Ar=
tMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx

Cheers,
-Dick

Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com
0
Dick
12/14/2016 10:19:36 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:19:38 PM UTC-7, Dick Jackson wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of it u=
ntil yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about what's =
new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=E2=
=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
>=20
> http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/1997/=
ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
>=20
> Cheers,
> -Dick
>=20
> Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com

Hi Dick,
The release has been out for about a week.  If you haven't received an e-ma=
il related to he new download and licensing you should contact your sales r=
ep.  Perhaps you're receiving your copy on DVD and it's in transit?

You should also check out my most recent blog post on IDL Data Point on the=
 subject of finding your release notes, as well, if you're downloading the =
software.

Jim P.
0
Jim
12/14/2016 11:25:42 PM
On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 4:25:44 PM UTC-7, Jim P wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:19:38 PM UTC-7, Dick Jackson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of it=
 until yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about what'=
s new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=
=E2=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
> >=20
> > http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/199=
7/ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > -Dick
> >=20
> > Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> > Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com
>=20
> Hi Dick,
> The release has been out for about a week.  If you haven't received an e-=
mail related to he new download and licensing you should contact your sales=
 rep.  Perhaps you're receiving your copy on DVD and it's in transit?
>=20
> You should also check out my most recent blog post on IDL Data Point on t=
he subject of finding your release notes, as well, if you're downloading th=
e software.
>=20
> Jim P.

Replying to my own post, Dick has pointed out to me that my blog is not ava=
ilable at the moment.  Keep checking back.

Jim P.
0
Jim
12/15/2016 2:25:46 PM
On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 7:25:48 AM UTC-7, Jim P wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 4:25:44 PM UTC-7, Jim P wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:19:38 PM UTC-7, Dick Jackson wrote=
:
> > > Hi all,
> > >=20
> > > Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of =
it until yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about wha=
t's new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=
=E2=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
> > >=20
> > > http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/1=
997/ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
> > >=20
> > > Cheers,
> > > -Dick
> > >=20
> > > Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> > > Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com
> >=20
> > Hi Dick,
> > The release has been out for about a week.  If you haven't received an =
e-mail related to he new download and licensing you should contact your sal=
es rep.  Perhaps you're receiving your copy on DVD and it's in transit?
> >=20
> > You should also check out my most recent blog post on IDL Data Point on=
 the subject of finding your release notes, as well, if you're downloading =
the software.
> >=20
> > Jim P.
>=20
> Replying to my own post, Dick has pointed out to me that my blog is not a=
vailable at the moment.  Keep checking back.
>=20
> Jim P.

The IDL Data Point blog post I referenced is available again, publication d=
ate of December 7, 2016.

Jim P.
0
Jim
12/15/2016 5:46:30 PM
On Thursday, 15 December 2016 09:55:44 UTC+10:30, Jim P  wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:19:38 PM UTC-7, Dick Jackson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of it=
 until yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about what'=
s new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=
=E2=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
> >=20
> > http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/199=
7/ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > -Dick
> >=20
> > Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> > Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com
>=20
> Hi Dick,
> The release has been out for about a week.  If you haven't received an e-=
mail related to he new download and licensing you should contact your sales=
 rep.  Perhaps you're receiving your copy on DVD and it's in transit?
>=20
> You should also check out my most recent blog post on IDL Data Point on t=
he subject of finding your release notes, as well, if you're downloading th=
e software.
>=20
> Jim P.

Hi Jim,

> The release has been out for about a week.

I think this is only for the poor souls living in Trumpania. Those of us in=
 the real world have to wait until 2017.

Andrew
0
andrewcool777
12/19/2016 1:06:49 AM
I have not yet been able to get the new license server working in order to =
try out 8.6.

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:25:44 PM UTC-8, Jim P wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:19:38 PM UTC-7, Dick Jackson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of it=
 until yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about what'=
s new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=
=E2=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
> >=20
> > http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/199=
7/ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > -Dick
> >=20
> > Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> > Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com
>=20
> Hi Dick,
> The release has been out for about a week.  If you haven't received an e-=
mail related to he new download and licensing you should contact your sales=
 rep.  Perhaps you're receiving your copy on DVD and it's in transit?
>=20
> You should also check out my most recent blog post on IDL Data Point on t=
he subject of finding your release notes, as well, if you're downloading th=
e software.
>=20
> Jim P.

0
Paulo
12/19/2016 8:42:25 PM
On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 1:42:28 PM UTC-7, Paulo Penteado wrote:
> I have not yet been able to get the new license server working in order t=
o try out 8.6.
>=20
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:25:44 PM UTC-8, Jim P wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:19:38 PM UTC-7, Dick Jackson wrote=
:
> > > Hi all,
> > >=20
> > > Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of =
it until yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about wha=
t's new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=
=E2=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
> > >=20
> > > http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/1=
997/ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
> > >=20
> > > Cheers,
> > > -Dick
> > >=20
> > > Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> > > Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com
> >=20
> > Hi Dick,
> > The release has been out for about a week.  If you haven't received an =
e-mail related to he new download and licensing you should contact your sal=
es rep.  Perhaps you're receiving your copy on DVD and it's in transit?
> >=20
> > You should also check out my most recent blog post on IDL Data Point on=
 the subject of finding your release notes, as well, if you're downloading =
the software.
> >=20
> > Jim P.

Paulo,
Are you working on your license server issue with your Harris sales rep or =
tech support?
Jim P.
0
Jim
12/20/2016 1:57:04 AM
Hello,

I contacted Harris support, by replying to the email informing about the ch=
ange in the license server. After some iterations, it was resolved, and I a=
m able to use it now.

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 5:57:09 PM UTC-8, Jim P wrote:
> On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 1:42:28 PM UTC-7, Paulo Penteado wrote:
> > I have not yet been able to get the new license server working in order=
 to try out 8.6.
> >=20
> > On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:25:44 PM UTC-8, Jim P wrote:
> > > On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 3:19:38 PM UTC-7, Dick Jackson wro=
te:
f it until yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about w=
hat's new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-F=
eb=E2=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
/1997/ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
> > >=20
> > > Hi Dick,
> > > The release has been out for about a week.  If you haven't received a=
n e-mail related to he new download and licensing you should contact your s=
ales rep.  Perhaps you're receiving your copy on DVD and it's in transit?
> > >=20
> > > You should also check out my most recent blog post on IDL Data Point =
on the subject of finding your release notes, as well, if you're downloadin=
g the software.
> > >=20
> > > Jim P.
>=20
> Paulo,
> Are you working on your license server issue with your Harris sales rep o=
r tech support?
> Jim P.

0
Paulo
12/21/2016 2:17:55 AM
Hello,

I have looked at the documentation on the new IDLTask feature, and I am int=
rigued. It seems to be the main new feature in 8.6, but it is not yet clear=
 to me what all its applications are. Does anyone know of some tutorial, we=
binar or other documentation showing some use cases? I see from the documen=
tation the use of encapsulating an IDL procedure to be executed through the=
 command line using stdin/stdout/stderr, but I am still wondering about wha=
t are other possibilities from using IDLTask inside IDL-only code (that is,=
 not from a command line use through idltaskengine).

By the way, there are problems with the HTML parsing of JSON elements in mo=
st of the documentation pages related to IDLTask. One instance is item 3 in=
 the " Run a Custom Task" example:

http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/docs/idltaskengineexamples.html

Paulo

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 2:19:38 PM UTC-8, Dick Jackson wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of it u=
ntil yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about what's =
new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=E2=
=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
>=20
> http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/1997/=
ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
>=20
> Cheers,
> -Dick
>=20
> Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com

0
Paulo
12/21/2016 4:58:17 PM
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 9:58:21 AM UTC-7, Paulo Penteado wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I have looked at the documentation on the new IDLTask feature, and I am i=
ntrigued. It seems to be the main new feature in 8.6, but it is not yet cle=
ar to me what all its applications are. Does anyone know of some tutorial, =
webinar or other documentation showing some use cases? I see from the docum=
entation the use of encapsulating an IDL procedure to be executed through t=
he command line using stdin/stdout/stderr, but I am still wondering about w=
hat are other possibilities from using IDLTask inside IDL-only code (that i=
s, not from a command line use through idltaskengine).
>=20
> By the way, there are problems with the HTML parsing of JSON elements in =
most of the documentation pages related to IDLTask. One instance is item 3 =
in the " Run a Custom Task" example:
>=20
> http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/docs/idltaskengineexamples.html
>=20
> Paulo
>=20
>=20
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 2:19:38 PM UTC-8, Dick Jackson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > Apparently this has been up since November 28, but I hadn't heard of it=
 until yesterday's ENVI webinar. For the curious, here's a page about what'=
s new in IDL 8.6 (release date not firm yet, I think the hint was Jan-Feb=
=E2=80=A6 can anyone add detail?):
> >=20
> > http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/ProductsUpdateDetails/TabId/199=
7/ArtMID/7326/ArticleID/14972/Whats-New-in-IDL-86.aspx
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > -Dick
> >=20
> > Dick Jackson Software Consulting Inc.
> > Victoria, BC, Canada --- http://www.d-jackson.com

I will have a blog post on IDL Data Point on the subject of IDL Tasks in th=
e coming weeks.  If you're working in a heterogeneous environment where IDL=
 and/or ENVI steps are just part of the processing chain, IDL and ENVI Task=
s may be for you.

Also see the documentation on the Geospatial Framework (GSF) if you're in n=
eed of a job management architecture into which IDL or ENVI Tasks may be pl=
ugged, in addition to any other sort of processing.

Jim P.
0
Jim