Help overplotting contours and surface

Disclaimer: This is a homework problem, but I'm completely stumped.

I'm supposed to generate two plot panels in one window. The first
panel combines a fill and contour, the second contains a surface and
contour. My code is as follows:

; Set up the data for the plots
z = SHIFT(DIST(50), 25, 15)
z = EXP(-(z/15)^2)

; Set up 2 columns and 1 row for graphs
!P.MULTI = [0, 2, 1]
; Overplot contours
CONTOUR, Z, /FILL, NLEVELS = 7
CONTOUR, Z, /FOLLOW, NLEVELS = 7, /OVERPLOT

; Overplot contour and surface
SURFR
CONTOUR, Z, /T3D, ZVALUE = 0, /FILL, NLEVELS = 7
SURFACE, Z, /NOERASE
!P.MULTI = 0

My issue is that the third contour is overplotted over the first two
contours. If I reverse the order of the lines to plot the third
contour and the surface, then the surface is overimposed on the
contour (looks horrible, not like a single graph at all). If I just
plot the third contour and surface, it works great.

How can I specify for that third contour to plot in the second panel,
and the surface right under it?

Many thanks.
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12239 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:12:43 -0700 (PDT), Virgil
<chemical.rivas@gmail.com> wrote:

>How can I specify for that third contour to plot in the second panel,
>and the surface right under it?

I think the SAVE keyword to SURFACE is used for this. From the help:

SURFACE, Z, /SAVE
CONTOUR, Z, /NOERASE, /T3D , ZVALUE=...
0
Wox
5/31/2010 12:03:02 PM
On May 31, 5:03=A0am, Wox <s...@nomail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:12:43 -0700 (PDT), Virgil
>
> <chemical.ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >How can I specify for that third contour to plot in the second panel,
> >and the surface right under it?
>
> I think the SAVE keyword to SURFACE is used for this. From the help:
>
> SURFACE, Z, /SAVE
> CONTOUR, Z, /NOERASE, /T3D , ZVALUE=3D...

Thanks for your response. However, if I graph the surface before the
contour, the contour you cannot see the surface well. The contour
needs to be plotted before the surface.
0
Virgil
5/31/2010 4:05:32 PM
On May 31, 5:03=A0am, Wox <s...@nomail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:12:43 -0700 (PDT), Virgil
>
> <chemical.ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >How can I specify for that third contour to plot in the second panel,
> >and the surface right under it?
>
> I think the SAVE keyword to SURFACE is used for this. From the help:
>
> SURFACE, Z, /SAVE
> CONTOUR, Z, /NOERASE, /T3D , ZVALUE=3D...

How could we do similar with shade_surfe?
shade_surf,Z
0
Dave
6/1/2010 9:12:07 AM
How about this:

; Set up the data for the plots
z = SHIFT(DIST(50), 25, 15)
z = EXP(-(z/15)^2)

; Set up 2 columns and 1 row for graphs
!P.MULTI = [0, 2, 1]
; Overplot contours
CONTOUR, Z, /FILL, NLEVELS = 7
CONTOUR, Z, /FOLLOW, NLEVELS = 7, /OVERPLOT

; Overplot contour and surface
surfr
CONTOUR, Z, /T3D, ZVALUE = 0, /FILL, NLEVELS = 7
!P.MULTI[0]=1
SURFACE, Z, /NOERASE, /T3D

!P.MULTI = 0
0
Wox
6/3/2010 8:41:36 AM
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 02:12:07 -0700 (PDT), Dave Poreh
<d.poreh@gmail.com> wrote:

>How could we do similar with shade_surf?

I'm not sure you can. I'd go for object graphics.
0
Wox

Help Help Help Help Help
please,help us . we have a seious problem, we are designing a radio controlled car that is guided by the PC, to send the data wireless between the PC and the Car and vice versa. we use 2 transmitter/reciever circuits from 2 seperate radio controlled car each running with a different frequency (27 MHz & 40 MHz)and modify the functionality of each to do the disered work. but on mounting a transmitter(40MHz) and reciever(27MHz) on the car, and attach another transmitter(27MHz) and reciever(40MHz) to the PC; we found that on sending signals from the car to the PC on the transmitter & rec...

help!help!help!help!
I am a student.I am going to make a simulation of a robot (FANUC Robot M-16iB) under the matlab\simulink environment . It is a normal 6DOF robot.I want to realize any angle and any speed (under the max speed) and any position and orientation control. As I just starting to do this new field,I have no experience about it. Can you give me some simulation demo or examples for 6DOF robot? I am very eager to get these.Please write back to me as soon as possible,thank you! Sincerely, Connie&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; zhanglijuan920@sohu.c...

newbie help; surface plot with contours
Hello all, I am a new user of gnuplot and under the gun to create nifty plots of my data. I have (x,y,z) triples in a data file; I have figured out how to get a smooth color surface plot using: splot 'datafile' with pm3d interpolate 10,10 I would also like to add black contour lines to the surface at user- defined, discrete levels, but can't figure out how to display them at the same time as the surface. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks much! On Aug 30, 12:26 am, ericp <epreiss...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have (x,y,z) triples in ...

HELP HELP HELP
Hi! All, I am an Interactive Media Designer and know very less about asp but the basic concept behind. I got to make an online test(Exam) in asp which has a login (frm access database) panel. Can any one direct me to a free source so that I can simply pick the project and customize it. Thnaks in Advance Raj.Design In article <1112007306.454441.207430@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, raj.design@gmail.com enlightened us with... > Hi! All, > I am an Interactive Media Designer and know very less about asp but the > basic concept behind. I got to make an online te...

Help Help Help
Q1 I want to know how to show the 8 bit planes of the image?? Q2 And also find edges of image by showing both edge magnitude and direction?? ...

Help Help Help
Hello, I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. I accidentally download a Java program called "dict" from an ebook website to my XP and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a link with your web. I found it very frustrating when I noticed all the chinese characters I read from the web now become loads of question marks. I think it has a link with the program that I accidentally downloaded from that ebook website. How can I remove the so called "dict" program and other Java Scripts from my computer? This is very urgent and please answer my ...

Help!! Help!! Help!!
I wish to vectorize the following code: s = tf('s'); W = logspace(-1,2,50); COMBINATION = combn(W, 2); K = cell(length(COMBINATION), 1); K0 = 1 + (1/(2*s)) + 0.5*s/(0.2*s + 1); % PID controller to be approximated as PI gapValue = zeros(length(COMBINATION), 1); for i = 1:length(COMBINATION) K{i} = (COMBINATION(i,1)*(1 + (1/(COMBINATION(i,2)*s)))); % PI controller end for i = 1:length(COMBINATION) gapValue(i,1) = gapmetric(K0, K{i}); end where K0 is the Nominal transfer function and K is a cell array including transfer functions whose gap metric from K0 are...

HELP-HELP-HELP!!!!!!!!!!
On this site par example: http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,nl_nl_0_27443_rArNrNrNrN,00.html u have a 3d animation, like many other sites...but if i want to see this a new window opens and i see a icon with ared cross in it. also on sites with games i see this... What is my problem? I have winXP-Pro firewall is out and sec. is on low..... twan1@home.nl (Twan) writes: > On this site par example: > http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,nl_nl_0_27443_rArNrNrNrN,00.html > u have a 3d animation, like many other sites...but if i want to...

Help Help Help
Hello, I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. I accidentally download a Java program called "dict" from an ebook website to my XP and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a link with your web. I found it very frustrating when I noticed all the chinese characters I read from the web now become loads of question marks. I think it has a link with the program that I accidentally downloaded from that ebook website. How can I remove the so called "dict" program and other Java Scripts from my computer? This is very urgent and please answer my ...

HELP! HELP! HELP
I hope someone out there can solve my mysterious problem. I have tried everything imaginable, even paid $35 to Microsoft to help me, but they were not able to figure out this problem: Here is the problem: I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an > access 97 database converted one of the tables to access 2002 and then > imported it into a new table in access 2002. but for some strange > reason, every once in a while the data changes to Japanese characters, > it only happens once in a while, but once it happens that record is > lost. i have tried...

HELP HELP HELP...
Hi everybody there. I have created a GUI in MATLAB's guide application. In the GUI I am appearing on the screen a frame from a camera by pushing a button. My problem that sometimes the application works fine, but some others something is going wrong and I get the following error message: ??? Assignment has more non-singleton rhs dimensions than non-singleton subscripts Error in ==> LEDsFinal>txtGrabFrame_Callback at 164 A(width, i, Blue) = abs(fread(portCMU, 1, 'uint8'))/255; What does the error message mean? What seems to be the problem? How can I overco...

help help help
I need to refresh my C knowledge quickly. I will be reading code for simple industrial type controls like motor controllers, valve drivers, etc This software is pretty simple, 3000 lines max. The executable is embedded in flash on the processor chip. Actually I haven't seen it yet. I haven't looked at C or done any programming in ages. I'm looking for a simple programming suite that will run on my WinXP (NTFS) computer. Something that doesn't take really long to get up to speed with. Simple is better. I just need to practice and remember and do some simple experi...

help help help
Sir, Am Avinash.T.J doing my btech AMRITA ...

help! help!! help!!! me
hello if x=linspace(1,100,n); p=linspace(100,80,n-1); how can I get A A=[ x(1) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0...0 0; x(2) 1 -x(2) -1 0 0 0 0...0 0; p(1) 0 -p(2) 0 0 0 0 0...0 0; 0 0 x(3) 1 -x(3) -1 0 0...0 0; 0 0 p(2) 0 -p(3) 0 0 0...0 0; 0 0 0 0 x(4) 1 -x(4) -1...0 0; 0 0 0 0 p(3) 0 -p(4) 0...0 0; ....................................... 0 0 0 0 0 0...x(i) 1 -x(i) -1...0 0; 0 0 0 0 0 0...p(i-1) 0 -p(i-1) 0 ...0 0; ......................................... 0 0 0 0 0 0....x(n-1) 1 -x(n-1) -1; 0 0 0 0 0 0....p(n-2) 0 -p(n-1) 0; 0 0 0 0 0 0.... 0 0 p(n-1) 0; ] "Jim lei" <redlightlike@mathworks.c...

Web resources about - Help overplotting contours and surface - comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Solar cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The solar cycle (or solar magnetic activity cycle ) is the periodic change in the sun's activity (including changes in the levels of solar radiation ...

Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science
Joe Simmons writes: I asked MTurk NFL fans to consider an NFL game in which the favorite was expected to beat the underdog by 7 points in a full-length ...

10 episodes that find the ’60s Batman at its campy best - TV - TV Club 10 - The A.V. Club
The Batman television series walked the line between delightful camp and absolute mess.

Article - Die Hard Dud (The disaster that was Die Hard 2)
Last week, we looked at one of the greatest action movies ever made , a little indie flick called “ Die Hard ,” and discussed the numerous solid ...

David B. Coe - Fantasy Literature
David B. Coe Winds of the Forelands Rules of Ascension, Seeds of Betrayal, Bonds of Vengeance, Shapers of Darkness, Weavers of War LonTobyn Fantasy ...

Exploring The Season Finale Of 'True Detective' & What We’d Like To See Carry Over To Season 2
This morning, a dull, gray dawn broke on a dull, gray “True Detective”-less world. The show that has had us gripped for the last eight weeks ...

ggplot2 for big data
(Hadley Wickham, author of ggplot2 and several other R packages, guest blogs today about forthcoming big-data improvements to his R graphics ...

Geek Reading July 6, 2015
... Blog When the last digits of powers don’t change - John D. Cook Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL Too Big Data: Coping with Overplotting ...

Visualize complex data with subplots
Today's guest post comes from Garrett Grolemund, a software developer at RStudio — ed. I think of graphs as a type of visual summary for data. ...

Sundance 2014's Opening Weekend: Our Analytical Report - Movies News - Rolling Stone
One FilmThat's how long it took for critics to declare the first great film of Sundance. Usually the fest starts off slow, but this year, it ...