Help overplotting contours and surface

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Disclaimer: This is a homework problem, but I'm completely stumped.

I'm supposed to generate two plot panels in one window. The first
panel combines a fill and contour, the second contains a surface and
contour. My code is as follows:

; Set up the data for the plots
z = SHIFT(DIST(50), 25, 15)
z = EXP(-(z/15)^2)

; Set up 2 columns and 1 row for graphs
!P.MULTI = [0, 2, 1]
; Overplot contours
CONTOUR, Z, /FILL, NLEVELS = 7
CONTOUR, Z, /FOLLOW, NLEVELS = 7, /OVERPLOT

; Overplot contour and surface
SURFR
CONTOUR, Z, /T3D, ZVALUE = 0, /FILL, NLEVELS = 7
SURFACE, Z, /NOERASE
!P.MULTI = 0

My issue is that the third contour is overplotted over the first two
contours. If I reverse the order of the lines to plot the third
contour and the surface, then the surface is overimposed on the
contour (looks horrible, not like a single graph at all). If I just
plot the third contour and surface, it works great.

How can I specify for that third contour to plot in the second panel,
and the surface right under it?

Many thanks.
0
Reply chemical.rivas (1) 5/30/2010 9:12:43 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:12:43 -0700 (PDT), Virgil
<chemical.rivas@gmail.com> wrote:

>How can I specify for that third contour to plot in the second panel,
>and the surface right under it?

I think the SAVE keyword to SURFACE is used for this. From the help:

SURFACE, Z, /SAVE
CONTOUR, Z, /NOERASE, /T3D , ZVALUE=...
0
Reply Wox 5/31/2010 12:03:02 PM

On May 31, 5:03=A0am, Wox <s...@nomail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:12:43 -0700 (PDT), Virgil
>
> <chemical.ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >How can I specify for that third contour to plot in the second panel,
> >and the surface right under it?
>
> I think the SAVE keyword to SURFACE is used for this. From the help:
>
> SURFACE, Z, /SAVE
> CONTOUR, Z, /NOERASE, /T3D , ZVALUE=3D...

Thanks for your response. However, if I graph the surface before the
contour, the contour you cannot see the surface well. The contour
needs to be plotted before the surface.
0
Reply Virgil 5/31/2010 4:05:32 PM

On May 31, 5:03=A0am, Wox <s...@nomail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:12:43 -0700 (PDT), Virgil
>
> <chemical.ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >How can I specify for that third contour to plot in the second panel,
> >and the surface right under it?
>
> I think the SAVE keyword to SURFACE is used for this. From the help:
>
> SURFACE, Z, /SAVE
> CONTOUR, Z, /NOERASE, /T3D , ZVALUE=3D...

How could we do similar with shade_surfe?
shade_surf,Z
0
Reply Dave 6/1/2010 9:12:07 AM

How about this:

; Set up the data for the plots
z = SHIFT(DIST(50), 25, 15)
z = EXP(-(z/15)^2)

; Set up 2 columns and 1 row for graphs
!P.MULTI = [0, 2, 1]
; Overplot contours
CONTOUR, Z, /FILL, NLEVELS = 7
CONTOUR, Z, /FOLLOW, NLEVELS = 7, /OVERPLOT

; Overplot contour and surface
surfr
CONTOUR, Z, /T3D, ZVALUE = 0, /FILL, NLEVELS = 7
!P.MULTI[0]=1
SURFACE, Z, /NOERASE, /T3D

!P.MULTI = 0
0
Reply Wox 6/3/2010 8:41:36 AM

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 02:12:07 -0700 (PDT), Dave Poreh
<d.poreh@gmail.com> wrote:

>How could we do similar with shade_surf?

I'm not sure you can. I'd go for object graphics.
0
Reply Wox 6/3/2010 8:48:19 AM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 11079 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

newbie help; surface plot with contours
Hello all, I am a new user of gnuplot and under the gun to create nifty plots of my data. I have (x,y,z) triples in a data file; I have figured out how to get a smooth color surface plot using: splot 'datafile' with pm3d interpolate 10,10 I would also like to add black contour lines to the surface at user- defined, discrete levels, but can't figure out how to display them at the same time as the surface. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks much! On Aug 30, 12:26 am, ericp <epreiss...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have (x,y,z) triples in ...

Help with Surfacing
Hi Guys, I usually use SW for tool and die design (square blocks with lots of holes). A customer wants a riser designed for his chopper and I have tried numerous surfacing techniques to no avail. I have only had the basic SW training and the sheet-metal training. If someone would be interested in making a few suggestions as to how I can model this riser so that the radii are tangent with the top and bottom surface I would be so grateful.... I have uploaded the files to http://www.ttmdesign.com Thanks in advance, CC can you be more specific about what you are trying to acheive? Maybe ...

contour overplotting
Dear All, I am having a small trouble in making contour over- plotting . Here I am reading two different data set with different values. I want to make a contour plot of the first data set and then want to over plot the contour of the second data set with different colors. My question is that is it possible in IDL to overplot a contour plot on another contour plot with different colors. if yes then how. And if No then how I can overplot a contour plot on another contour plot with the same colors. Thanks in advance readcol, 'A.txt',skipline=3,x,y,z,f='f,f,f...

Contours of a Surface
Hi everyone! I'm dealing with some surfaces generated by to command "mesh" and I would like to know if there's a way to plot the contours of the surface, but not the regular contours (I mean x,y contours). I'd like to know if it is possible to plot and label contours from another point of view of the same surface, for example the view composed by x,z or y,z. I'm more interested in plotting the contours of the x,z and y,z view and I'd appreciate any help I can get. I hope I made myself clear. Thanks! Douglas On Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:04:05 AM UTC+12, D...

contour help
Hi I am trying to generate contour for the domain in the form of quarter circle meshed with triangles. All the tutorial of contour toolbox has been explained for rectangular domain so I want to know if it is possible to plot contour for any arbitary domain with scattered data points. if the answer is yes then please illustrate how? thanks. On 2006-12-22 12:55 vishwas khatri said the following: > Hi > I am trying to generate contour for the domain in the form of quarter > circle meshed with triangles. > All the tutorial of contour toolbox has been explained for > rec...

Surfacing help
I am pretty sure what I want to do here is beyond my abilities with the information I have. I am hoping someone out there with a more artistic eye, and better abilities with surfacing can help. I am trying to make a scale remote control model of this airplane: http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-6int.htm I have all the drawings of the bulk heads and airfoils so the main structure of the fuselage, wings and tail surfaces aren't a problem. Where I am stuck is on the stuff there are no "detailed" drawings of, namely the cowl, canopy, and wing tips. I did manage to get a ...

surface Help!!
Help please!! I don't know what happened! I try to plot a surface, but nothing appears! My problem is this, when i plot a surface in this way: xx=linspace(-2,2,18); yy=xx; [x,y]=meshgrid(xx',yy'); meshd = 100.*(y-x.*x).^2 + (1-x).^2; surf(x,y,meshd) There are no problem i can see it and rotate and so on. But when i try this: xx=linspace(-2,2,20); yy=linspace(-1,3,20); [x,y]=meshgrid(xx',yy') ; meshd = 100.*(y-x.*x).^2 + (1-x).^2; surf(x,y,meshd) figure windows appears but nothing inside, if i click rotate button i can see the blue-box rotating...

contour and surface
Hello, currently I use `splot "datafile" u 1:2:3:4` and 'pm3d at s' to plot my datafile. Thus when I 'set contour' the contour uses the third column of my datafile but I want it to draw the fourth column. Or maybe its easier to ask: how can I splot my datafile using 1:2:3 and additionaly draw the contours of column 4. I read about unsetting the surface but how to plot one column with surface and without contour and the second without surface but with contour? best wishes and tia. Klaus p.s. Version 4.0 patchlevel 0 set pm3d at s hidden3d ...

Contour graph help!
I'm looking to make a contour graph with: X-axis being dates (increasing to the right) Y-axis being different lake water depth(increasing downward) and Color from red to blue on the graph indicating various temperatures with legend indicating which color is which temperature. This way you can find the temperature of the exact data and water depth by comparing the color at that point with the legend. How do I do that in matlab? I tried contourf but couldn't get it to work right. I'm using an old version of Matlab right now (5.3), but if the method is for the newer versions, it is we...

Contour help #2
Is there a way to not allow matlab opening a figure and not letting it use any current figure when contour is called? Thanks "Aron Sceidt" <sigarru87@gmail.com> wrote in message news:jneb48$hh3$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > Is there a way to not allow matlab opening a figure and not letting it use > any current figure when contour is called? So ... what exactly do you want CONTOUR to DO in that situation? If you just want the contour matrix, look at CONTOURC. -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on http://w...

overplotting contours on a map
I just upgraded to idl 8 and was playing around with it. I was trying to overplot some contours onto a map and when I do this the graphics window resizes the map itself and doesn't plot the contours. I can do this the old way using the procedure but I was trying to use the newer functions. here is the code I have map = MAP('Cylindrical Equal Area', LIMIT = [floor(min(lat)),floor(min(lon)),ceil(max(lat)),ceil(max(lon))]) grid = map.MAPGRID grid.LABEL_POSITION = 0 grid.LINESTYLE = "dotted" grid.LABEL_ANGLE= 0 m1 = MAPCONTINENTS(/USA, FILL_COLOR="white&q...

surfacing ? help please
I have a section of a solid that I want to define a local compund section and raise it up 1mm. Think of it as a coin sized diameter wuth a .24nn ext. cut sitting on a sphere. I've offset the surface by the 1mm I need but cant recall how to join the offset surface to the existing surface on the sphere. I;ve looked at alternatives but htis seems to be the easiest way vs. offsetting the shape in an extruded solid. Hope I've explained it correctly. TIA. ...

How do you plot a contour surface?
I have been trying with no luck to plot a contour surface for a 3D problem. However, I could solve the 2D problem as follows: contour(xtest1,xtest2,ypred,[-1 0 1],'k'); %where ypred is a function of xtest1 (x-cartesian coordinate) and xtest2 (y-cartesian coordinate) %Now I have a 4D problem where ypred is a function of xtest1 xtest2 xtest3 and I would like to obtain the 3D surface plot for which ypred=0. Thank you. In article <ef1fb9d.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP>, "Erica Samsung" <erica.samsung@ers.com> wrote: > I have been trying with no luck to plot a contour ...

contour label help
Hi, I'm using the "contour" command, but I can't figure out how to: 1. decide the number of label per each isoline (now I have many label for each line and that make the graph confused) 2. decide the font size for the label and eventually how to display the label inside a box with a background color. Thank. Sincerely, Riccardo Lattanzi ...

Help with surface graph
Hey! For a school project we are building a catapult. I am trying to use matlab to find the different distances that can be achieved at different initial velocities and different initial angles. I have managed to make a contour plot with the contours representing the distance the object will be thrown but now need help labeling it. We are required to throw the object specific lengths and so I would like to mark these lengths on my contour map. How do I go about programming this? Thanks for your help! Alex ...

Help on Surface Graph
Hi all, Recently I used MATLAB to chart the surface graph, for reference here is the command x = -30:1:30; y = -30:1:30; [X,Y] = meshgrid(x,y); Z = -0.0006*X.^2 - 0.0008*Y.^2 + 0.0004*X - 0.0006*Y + 0.956; surf(X,Y,Z) colormap hsv colorbar axis([-30 30 -30 30 -1 1]); my question is, from this equation how do I get the value of the Variables X and Y if the Z is known? Is there some specific command to interpolate or do I have to just resort to mathematical methods to work it out? I now that we can use the data cursor for that purpose but I rather put in the value Z and let th...

contours draped over surface
surfc plots contours of the surface below the surface. Do you know any way or any other function allowing to drape the contours ON the surface? Even if I had the Mapping Toolbox I do not see any option.http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/map/f19-19655.html Thanks Matteo "Matteo Niccoli" <matteo@matteoniccoli.com> wrote in message news:j7rvth$m4t$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > surfc plots contours of the surface below the surface. > Do you know any way or any other function allowing to drape the contours > ON the surface? Look at CONTOUR3. http://www.m...

OVERPLOT POINTS IN CONTOUR
Hi...I am a new user and I need some advice... I have 3 array of data (270 X 406) containing latitudes and longitudes and pressure. I make the proper contour but I want over it to put some black points showing values of latitude and longitude which I will take from another array but belong to the same limit area defined in my contour...how can I add these points according to their geographical coordinates? Giorgos wrote: >Hi...I am a new user and I need some advice... >I have 3 array of data (270 X 406) containing latitudes and longitudes >and pressure. I make the proper contour bu...

help with the contour command
Hello, Can anybody help me with contour-ing a two dimensional matrix M(300x110). I can use the surface(M) to draw the matrix in (x,y) but the contour command fails. I have tried griddata command as well. Anyone willing to try it? Let me know where I can send the data file of the matrix M. Thank you Delfin I tried to plot the contour with Matlab 5.3 on my PC and it worked alright. Matlab I am using on my Linux box is version 7.0.0.19901 (R14). Here is the error message I get >>contour(M) ??? Attempt to execute SCRIPT contours as a function. Error in ==> specgraph.contourgroup.sche...

Surface from set of contours
I want to know how to generate a surface for a given set of contours. (contour data is obtained using contourc function of matlab). Rgds Alagappan G Alagappan Gandhi wrote: > I want to know how to generate a surface for a given set of contours. > (contour data is obtained using contourc function of matlab). Why don't you use the same data you used to generate the contour plot, with the function SURF? Rune Hi Data for contours: x, y and z. The contour at particular z value is obtained for different values of another parameter v. Now I want to generate a surface at particular z...

Surface Reconstruction From Contours
Hello All, Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have several sets of contours or closed polygons in parallel planes and want to create a surface. The object is roughly spherical. I have tried a few methods to do this. The convex hull is too coarse for what I need. I've tried deluanay on my data set (in theta and phi in spherical coordinates) with some success but still end up with internal triangles that are not suitable for my model. Does anyone know a solution to this? I've become very frustrated and need a kick in the right direction. Thank you. "Jeff Arkles" <...

Surface contour, posible?
Hi, I have problem if let : p=[2 5 7 2 9 5 7 1 9 5 2]; t=[7 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 2]; h=[12 34 56 78 90 21 43 54 65 76 23]; how to create surface contour with scala and legend and animation? who can help me? TQ Wayan ...

Help regarding contours!!
I have a file(a.dat) which consists of three columns..(c1,c2,c3). i wan to draw a contour where c1 is x-axis,c2 is y-axis.The data in each column is equal. Pls let me know how to do it?. ...

Inlaying Contour into surface
To lay a picture (2D-Matrix) into a 3D-surface, the useful "SURFACE"-command exists. Now I am trying to inlay a 2D-contour-plot onto a 3D, rendered surface (using SURFL). The contour plot always shows up on the bottom (hight zero), but I like it to be laid onto the surface! Anyone has a hot idea? Thanks, thorsten Thorsten Arnold wrote: > To lay a picture (2D-Matrix) into a 3D-surface, the useful > "SURFACE"-command exists. > > Now I am trying to inlay a 2D-contour-plot onto a 3D, rendered > surface (using SURFL). The contour plot always shows up on the b...