Is it possible to get a free version of coomand line IDL program ?

Hello All,

Currently I am working on IDL only in the university system and I thought I could install at my home computer. I asked at the Exelis and they sent me a form to get a student version which costs 75 euros.

I have also heard that its possible ot have some sort of free trial version which can be downloaded. but I couldn't find anything online like that. IS this information wrong ? If somthing is legally free, I dont want to pay 75 Euros for it :) Thank you.

Best regards,
Cibi
0
Cibi
12/7/2016 7:50:27 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 12/7/16 12:50 PM, Cibi Raj wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Currently I am working on IDL only in the university system and I
> thought I could install at my home computer. I asked at the Exelis
> and they sent me a form to get a student version which costs 75
> euros.
>
> I have also heard that its possible ot have some sort of free trial
> version which can be downloaded. but I couldn't find anything online
> like that. IS this information wrong ? If somthing is legally free, I
> dont want to pay 75 Euros for it :) Thank you.
>
> Best regards, Cibi

I believe the only free "version of IDL" is the Virtual Machine. This
would allow you to run already compiled IDL programs, but not compile
programs.

Mike
--
Michael Galloy
www.michaelgalloy.com

0
Michael
12/7/2016 8:03:52 PM
You could also try one of the free IDL clones

GDL - (Gnu Data Language) http://gnudatalanguage.sourceforge.net/index.php
FL (Fawlty Language) http://www.fawlty.uhostall.com/

They are not completely compatible with IDL and take more work to install, but should run most IDL programs.

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 2:50:29 PM UTC-5, Cibi Raj wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Currently I am working on IDL only in the university system and I thought I could install at my home computer. I asked at the Exelis and they sent me a form to get a student version which costs 75 euros.
>
> I have also heard that its possible ot have some sort of free trial version which can be downloaded. but I couldn't find anything online like that. IS this information wrong ? If somthing is legally free, I dont want to pay 75 Euros for it :) Thank you.
>
> Best regards,
> Cibi

0
wlandsman