least square fit

Hi
I have many file with extension (.dat). I need to open them in IDL and
have least square fit.
Is any one have idea on who to that.
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

omerphysics@gmail.com writes:

> I have many file with extension (.dat). I need to open them in IDL and
> have least square fit.
> Is any one have idea on who to that.

Well, rest assured, the code will be less than 10 lines
long. But, *which* 10 lines will depend on more details.
What do you know about this problem?

You can find a lot of hints at the web page below.

Cheers,

David
--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.

<omerphysics@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have many file with extension (.dat). I need to open them in IDL and
> have least square fit.
> Is any one have idea on who to that.

0
haje.korth1 (177)

Least-squares fitting a square pulse
I am trying to fit a square pulse to data in the least-squares sense in Matlab. The parameters that are being optimized are the height, start, and end - x(1), x(2) and x(3) in the program, respectively. However, the least-squares program is only varying the height, for some reason. Why is this occurring? How else could I fit a square pulse using least-squares? Although in this example the pulse would be easy to fit by inspection, for the purpose of my project, it is not an option. Code: %FITTING xdata=0:0.1:10; ydata=-.05+.1*rand(1,numel(xdata))+heaviside1(xdata-1)-heaviside1(xdata-4);...

has anyone coded the Deming regression model for least-squares fitting into IDL?
Hi: I was wondering if anyone had coded the Deming regression model for least-squares fitting into IDL? If so, would you be willing to make it available? Thanks in advance, Pete Riley ...

Adding constraints to linear fit parameters of separable least squares fit
I was wondering if anyone can help me to figure out how to add equality and inequality constraints to the linear parts of a separable least squares fit. I saw fminspleas is able to do it for the nonlinear fit parameters (using transformations from a constrained problem to an unconstrained one), but not for the linear fit parameters. Here is my code for the separable least squares fit. Thanks. function[NLP,LP,res]=seplstsq(funlist,start_point,xdata,ydata,options) function [sse,LP,res]=seplstsq_sse(NLP) DM=zeros(length(ydata),length(funlist)); for ii=1:length(funlist); f...

Least square fitting
Hi, I have this graph: x = [0.000235 0.00025 0.0003 0.0004 0.0005 0.0006 0.00075] y = [54.9 43.1 62.7 86.3 86.3 90.2 96.1] plot (x, y) xlabel ('Amplitude') ylabel ('Correct Detection [%]') legend ('Psychometric Function') and I want to fit it to this equation: P(A, 'theta') = [1/sqrt(2*pi*sigma²)] * integral e^-[(A-'theta'²)/2*sigma²] how can i do this? thank you. "xety89 " <sow.chan@warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message <hqouqh$snf$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi, > > I have this graph...

least squares fit
I'm trying to solve a system of 5+ equations for 3 unknowns, preferably using the least-squares method. I've Solve[] will not return solutions for more equations than you have unknowns. Fit[] does not work because my equations have 4 sets of data. Si=a*Ui + b*Vi + c*Wi, where i goes from 1 to 5 U, V, and W all come from a table, and S is from experimental data. I need to know how to solve for a,b,c given more than 3 equations. Background: The problem is actually trying to solve for Judd-Ofelt parameters of a laser crystal. S is the experimental line strength and U, V...

Least Square Fit
I tried to use lsqlin to do a least square fit with 3 constraints. I had 7 variables. However it didn't seem to take into account the last 2 cosntraints. I am trying to use fmincon but keep getting an error 'Inner matrix dimensions must agree'- I checked the dimensions of the constraint and Obj function matrices.but Ican't figure out why this is happening. Help! In article <eee31fe.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP>, "Shar P" <sprabhu@ieor.berkeley.edu> writes: >I tried to use lsqlin to do a least square fit with 3 constraints. I >had 7 variables. However it ...

Least square fitting
Hi all, I have a problem with a rather complicated function depending on four parameters which I try to find using least square fitting and I don't know exactly how to do it. The basic problem is the following: I have an astronomical image of a star field and try to relate the sky coordinates (right ascension, declination) of the stars to the pixel coordinates (x, y). The function to relate the two depends on the not accurately known parameters focal length of the lens (f), the rotation of the field of view with respect of the north direction (beta) and the center sky coordinates of the...

least square fitting
dear Gnuplot users, I am using the following command to fit a set of data: f(x)=a*x+b; fit f(x) 'dataset' via a,b then I get the value of a and b with only one decimal digit like a=0.1, b=0.9 how can I get five decimal digits like a=0.00001, b=0.91112 ? Thanks David <dagao@exchange.uta.edu> wrote: > dear Gnuplot users, > I am using the following command to fit a set of data: > f(x)=a*x+b; > fit f(x) 'dataset' via a,b > then I get the value of a and b with only one decimal digit like a=0.1, > b=0.9 "get the value&q...

Least squares fitting
Hello everybody, I am working on an inverse problem where I need to use least squares fitting. I am working on characterization of impedance of a piezoelectric crystal. A PZT crystal can be modeled as a series RLC circuit in parallel with a parasitic capacitor. Thus, I can derive the transfer function of its impedance and admittance and simulate it (see the code below) I am trying to extract R,L,C and C0 parameters from this simulated admittance curves using least squares fitting method.( Also, I need to inversely calculate these from the admittance curves that are constructed using ...

least square fit #4
I tried to fit data to get the sig and mean parameters of the gaussian distribution. I found lsqcurvefit can only get the correct fitting result of sig but not for the mean. The mean is always the initial value you set for the fitting. Any input is highly appreciated. TG My code is very simple. Is there something wrong with it? -------------------- function rst=fit_test() % % % xdata=1:1000; meandata=400; sigdata=50; ydata=gaussmf(xdata,[sigdata, meandata]); a=figure; hold on; plot(xdata,ydata) x0=[100,10]; lb=[1,1]; ub=[1000, 1000]; options=optimset('MaxFunEvals',1000,'MaxIter&...

Least square curve fitting
Hi all, I need some help with a curve fitting problem for data points. I have a set of data points g=[g1 g2 g3 g4 g5] h=[h1 h2 h3 h4 h5] and would like to fit these data to an equation y=ax/(b+x) in least square sense, with initial guesses a=170 and b = 1000 until R2 correlation is 95%. Thank you bubbub "Alison " <ucbeata@ucl.ac.uk> wrote in message <fhvlcg$d1g$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi all, > > > I need some help with a curve fitting problem for data points. > > I have a set of data points > g=[g1 g2 g3 g4 g5] > h=[h1 h2 h3 h4 h...

Which is the fastest least squared fit?
I have a program that fits measured data to a function with a least squares fit. The measured data contains about 30 data points, and the fitting function has 5 parameters in total: y(x) = c1 * cos(c2*x + c3) * sin(c4*x)/x * exp(- c5*x) I also want to apply boundaries to the constants. I have tried several fitting algorithms, e.g. fminsearch and lsqnonlin. The trouble is, that since the fit is performed several thousands of times each time the program is executed, it is important that the function provides a fast fit. I have discovered that lsqnonlin is faster than fminsearch, but execution ...

Uncertainty in least square fits
Hi! I am using polyfit for a set of my data points which is fitted to a parabolic curve as y=p2*x^2+p1*x+p0. I am not quite sure how to extract the uncertainties associated with each of these polynomials. I know the algorithm from the least square fit procedure, but I'd like to know if Matlab has a built-in function for this. Eventually, I would have to fit the data points using a high-order polynomial, so it would be useful to know how to estimate the errors at this stage. "Woo-Joong Kim" <andy78521@hotmail.com> wrote in message <fe1fj9 $91n$1@fred.mathworks....

Web resources about - least square fit - comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... can be seen in 7 lower symmetry quadrilaterals, depending on whether the mirror lines are on the vertices or edges. The gyration square has ...

Two men hospitalised after alleged stabbing at Federation Square
A 25-year-old man has been charged over the alleged stabbing of two men at Federation Square in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Square’s Apple Pay Reader is now available at U.S. Apple Stores
Last year mobile payment company Square unveiled an updated version of its credit card reader that works with Apple Pay, and starting today the ...

You can now purchase Square’s Apple Pay reader at US Apple Stores and online
Originally hitting the market back in November , Squares NFC reader compatible with Apple Pay is now available to purchase at Apple Stores in ...

AT&T and FCC chairman square off in set-top box fight
(credit: AT&T) The Federal Communications Commission chairman dismissed concerns from AT&T and other pay-TV providers about new set-top box ...

Cam Newton Going Back To Square One And Other Leftover Super Bowl Thoughts
We were all ready to see Cam rise to that next level. Instead, we saw ... a face-plant. A big fat face-plant.

Sanders, Clinton square off: Who can "walk the walk"?
In last debate before New Hampshire primary, they argued vigorously over who's more authentically progressive, and who can get things done

Square’s Apple Pay reader lands on Apple Store shelves
Businesses across the US are pretty much out of excuses for not accepting Apple Pay now that Square’s wireless card reader is ready for prime ...

Square Enix might bring that Adventures of Mana Vita port to the West
Every time I've written about Adventures of Mana , the new Final Fantasy Adventure remake, just about every one of you have clamored for Square ...

Square is selling its NFC payment reader in Apple Stores
Last November, Square finally got on with the times and unveiled an NFC-friendly reader, but it was only available on Square's website. Now, ...