Map projection in ENVI

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi everyone,
I would like to reproject the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis I/surface flux 1.8
deg resolution datasets of air temperature (2m-daily), pressure
(daily) and wind (U/V-daily) from the geographic lat/lon to the Polar
Stereographic projection using ENVI and the spatial resolution should
be brought to either 1 km or 6.25 km. I tried by using the Convert map
projection tool in ENVI but I am not getting the desired final result.
Please help.
0
Reply kamal 6/8/2010 8:05:54 AM

See related articles to this posting

kamal writes:

> I would like to reproject the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis I/surface flux 1.8
> deg resolution datasets of air temperature (2m-daily), pressure
> (daily) and wind (U/V-daily) from the geographic lat/lon to the Polar
> Stereographic projection using ENVI and the spatial resolution should
> be brought to either 1 km or 6.25 km. I tried by using the Convert map
> projection tool in ENVI but I am not getting the desired final result.

What kind of result did you get?

Cheers,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.

On Jun 8, 5:44=A0pm, David Fanning <n...@dfanning.com> wrote:
> kamal writes:
> > I would like to reproject the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis I/surface flux 1.8
> > deg resolution datasets of air temperature (2m-daily), pressure
> > (daily) and wind (U/V-daily) from the geographic lat/lon to the Polar
> > Stereographic projection using ENVI and the spatial resolution should
> > be brought to either 1 km or 6.25 km. I tried by using the Convert map
> > projection tool in ENVI but I am not getting the desired final result.
>
> What kind of result did you get?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> --
> David Fanning, Ph.D.
> Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
> Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming:http://www.dfanning.com/
> Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")

Some distorted type of image. The lat/lon vlaues and the parameter
values are all assigned to each pixel but the image seems to be, I
don't know, not correct.
Is it possible to regrid the coarse resolution to a higher resolution
using some interpolation method in ENVI (not in IDL!) and also change
the map projection?

Kamal
0
Reply kamal 6/9/2010 10:16:51 AM

kamal writes:

> Some distorted type of image. The lat/lon vlaues and the parameter
> values are all assigned to each pixel but the image seems to be, I
> don't know, not correct.

There is probably much in ENVI to improve, but
personally, I feel great confidence in their map
projection software. At least in my case, every
time I have tried to confirm a result that seemed
"strange" to me, the problem turned out to be a
faulty assumption or incomplete knowledge on my
part, rather than a problem with the software.

> Is it possible to regrid the coarse resolution to a higher resolution
> using some interpolation method in ENVI (not in IDL!) and also change
> the map projection?

Regrid to a higher resolution using what information?
If you start with low resolution data, producing high
resolution output is imaginary art, not science. :-)

Cheers,

David
--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
Reply David 6/9/2010 11:04:49 AM

On Jun 9, 4:04=A0pm, David Fanning <n...@dfanning.com> wrote:

> There is probably much in ENVI to improve, but
> personally, I feel great confidence in their map
> projection software. At least in my case, every
> time I have tried to confirm a result that seemed
> "strange" to me, the problem turned out to be a
> faulty assumption or incomplete knowledge on my
> part, rather than a problem with the software.

> Regrid to a higher resolution using what information?
> If you start with low resolution data, producing high
> resolution output is imaginary art, not science. :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
> --
> David Fanning, Ph.D.
> Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
> Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming:http://www.dfanning.com/
> Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")

Thank you so much for your reply David. The original data is in
~1.8X1.8 degree spatial resolution in geographic lat/lon projection. I
want to reproject it into polar stereographic projection (North) so
that I can compare it with the AMSR-E L3 gridded data (which are in
polar stereographic projection).
0
Reply kamal 6/11/2010 3:22:30 PM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 11230 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

how to make a map project in envi
i have there data( latitude,lontitude,and land surface temperature ) how to make it into a envi file(*.img) with map project(albers) stin.wang@gmail.com writes: > i have there data( latitude,lontitude,and land surface temperature ) > how to make it into a envi file(*.img) with map project(albers) Well, I think the easiest thing to do would be to make a GeoTIFF image that you could easily read into ENVI. You will have to project your data to create the projected image. If you are familiar with the MAP_PROJ_*** routines, I would use those. Otherwise, you might get away with MAP_PATCH. ...

Map Projection Conversion in ENVI
Folks, OK, I am at wit's end here. I have opened a MISR image in ENVI. I've used blocks 10-35, so this image is roughly over the Arctic Ocean. The image is georeferenced to a Space Oblique Mercator map projection. All well and good. The image runs through (and extends outside) a rectangular grid I am using for a study area. I now wish to convert this image to a Lambert's Equal Area projection, using a particular 500m grid that represents my study area. (The original data is on a 275m grid.) I can successfully use the Convert Map Projection selection from under the Map menu to d...

converting map projections in IDL and ENVI
Dear forum users, I want to convert the projection of georeferenced images whereby I specify the coordinates of the upper left pixel in the resulting image (so the pixel exactly match other georefenced images I have). The ENVI GUI convert map projection function allows for this. However I need to use IDL commands. Unfortunately, the envi_convert_file_map_projection doesn't allow me to specify the coordinates of the upper left pixel in the result image, as far I can tell. Any suggestions for doing it anyway? Thank you in advance, Pieter Beck University of Troms´┐Ż PieterBeck wrote: >...

Problems with converting map projection in ENVI
Hello, I have a file in ENVI's memory that is in one coordinate system (Washington State Plane North), and I would like to convert it to another coordinate system (geographic longitude / latitude). How can I do this in ENVI? I tried >Map >Convert Map Projection, but I must be doing something wrong in the 'Convert Map Projection Parameters' screen. Under 'Output Projection and Map Extent', it wants to know the coordinate of the upper left corner (I assume this is in the *new* projection system). I put in my best guess at what the upper left corner will be in lat/...

converting map projections using ENVI
i have a simusoidal map which i want to convert into lambert conformal conic projection. i made a customize lambert conformal conic projection. but when ever i tried to convert it it would give the following error" array dimensions must exceed 0" but when i tried to convert a world demo inbuilt in ENVI and using the customized projection it worked!! i dont know where i am going wrong any help would be appreciated thanks sunny surajchem@hotmail.com wrote: > i have a simusoidal map which i want to convert into lambert conformal > conic projection. > i made a customize lambe...

Need help with map projection conversion in ENVI
I've been fighting with this problem for weeks and have finally given up on solving it myself. I hope that someone with more experience manipulating maps in ENVI can offer me some advice and guidance. I have an image file (actually many such files) that is written as an hdf. The data in the file have been geo-referenced and projected. Some of the projection parameters (Mercator, limit, central azimuth) are included in the file as attributes of the scientific data set, but there are no explicit latitude and longitude values corresponding to the pixels in the image in the file. ...

maps maps maps????
Argh!!!! What happened to transparency maps, reflection maps blah blah blah????? (I'm talking about viz renderer / autocad2004 adt). If you can't use transparency maps, then HTF do you create mesh objects (like a grill, railing, mesh with holes)? or even trees? Or 2D people? Billboard and stuff like that? Use the Cutout map under Special Effects. --- stefkeB --- "Henry" <abshhkc@bath.ac.uk> wrote in message news:Xns942BB07D85A90abshhkcbathacuk@138.38.32.81... > Argh!!!! What happened to transparency maps, reflection maps blah blah > blah????...

Need help with map projection conversion in IDL or ENVI
I've been fighting with this problem for days and have finally given up on solving it myself. I hope that someone with more experience manipulating maps in IDL/ENVI can offer me some advice and guidance. I have a geostationary satellite image file (actually many such files) that is written as an hdf. The data in the file only have latitude and longitude values corresponding to the pixels in the image in the file, but without projection parameters. I guess it is the "Satellite" projection, since the ranges of latitudes and longitudes covers a sphere. I would like to...

Need help with map projection conversion in IDL or ENVI
I've been fighting with this problem for days and have finally given up on solving it myself. I hope that someone with more experience manipulating maps in IDL/ENVI can offer me some advice and guidance. I have a geostationary satellite image file (actually many such files) that is written as an hdf. The data in the file only have latitude and longitude values corresponding to the pixels in the image in the file, but without projection parameters. I guess it is the "Satellite" projection, since the ranges of latitudes and longitudes covers a sphere. I would like to...

map projection software
Hello there, I have an ER-Mapper file, which is a simple binary file (bil) and a separate header file including all information about the file and the projection. I would like to convert this file into the Swiss projection (Projection: Oblique, Spheroid: Bessel). As we work in an operational way, the reprojection should be made without any human intervention and work automatically. We work on a Linux environment and most programs are written in C or IDL. We do not use an ER-Mapper software nor could we use ArcInfo operationally. I found several sources of public domain cartograp...

Project newbie asks...well what about ENVI projects?
Hi folks, Just got ENVI 4.5 with IDL 7.....so i'm getting used to the workbench now (yikes! - but so far so good). I'm doing this as a complete newbie to the concept of IDL projects. I knew pre-Workbench IDL versions had projects, but never really had a need for them so i ignored the whole thing. Now, however, i find myself writing a bunch of code that i want to distribute to several people, and the idea of setting up a project immediately starts to seem attractive. Here's the thing though....the code i'm writing is for ENVI. Basically i've got a bunch of .pro files t...

map that maps to iterators in the same map ?
Hi, I wonder if it's possible to implement something like typedef map<string, T::iterator> T; i.e. to have a map that will resolve keys to iterators in the map of the same type. In my situation, I'll have only one such map and can guarantee that all iterators will remain valid (I'll only add stuff). Do such recursive constructions known to cause problems? I can use pointers instead of iterators, but it will be much uglier. Thanks, Vladimir ...

Map Projections
I currently have data with an associated latitude and longitude frame. I've seen David Fanning's "Navigating GOES Images" example but the process does not seem to work for my data. When I say it does not work the resulting projection results in showing much less of the data than it should based on the lat/lon limits. Does the data inherently have to be North up and east/west going right/ left? My data is presented in an orientation where North is at an angle as are the other directions where the bottom of the image is not lowest latitude etc... Is there a special ...

Map Projections
Given an image of an arbitrary map on earth and knowing the Lat-Lon coordinates for n reference points in the image (x1,y1)->(Lat1,Lon1) .... (xn,yn)->(Lat_n,Lon_n) Is there a way 1) to tell what specific map projection was used and 2) using that projection to convert an arbitrary (x,y) point (or Lat-Lon coordinate) to the other coordinate-system? I do have the mapping toolbox but am new to it, hence posting the question here. Is there a function built in? The closest approximation I found so using cp2tform: t = cp2tform(xy_pts,LatLon_pts,'projective'); LatLon ...

map projection
Does any one have good ideas about adjusting the same map projection from C to IDL? I have a 800*800 in Polar Stereographic in C and trying to adjust it in to IDL, but always cannot find the perfect match. :( Thank you xiao writes: > Does any one have good ideas about adjusting the same map projection > from C to IDL? > I have a 800*800 in Polar Stereographic in C and trying to adjust it > in to IDL, but always cannot find the perfect match. :( Should be no problem with this if you are using the MAP_PROJ_**** routines. We do this routinely here. Cheers, David -- David Fan...

map projection
Can anyone give some link about the link projection in C? Thank you :) I am trying to adjust the data in a map, Thank you :) xiao <littledddna@gmail.com> writes: > Can anyone give some link about the link projection in C? Thank you :) > I am trying to adjust the data in a map, It is really unclear what you are trying to do. Could you explain further? Also, this does not seem to be a question about C. If it is really a question about an algorithm, you should consider finding a newsgroup about that class of algorithms instead. -...

map of map.
Hi All, I want to create a map of key and another map object (it is another map of key value pairs). I have declared it as map<int, map<short, short>> mpObj; it gives me an error that, "error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of =91map=92 with no type". Does this mean I can not create a map of a map the object? Have I done something wrong? Any pointers to any tutorial? Atul. aTuL ha scritto: > I want to create a map of key and another map object (it is another > map of key value pairs). I have declared it as > map<int, map<short, short>> mpObj; You ha...

Overlay images from WMS servers (web mapping servers) on map projections
I thought I had a brilliant idea of how to combine images from WMS servers (OGC Web Mapping Services compliant servers) on map projections using map_set or map_proj_init functions. The result is not by far good enough - and I can't figure what's wrong. First I use my favourite http client to send a OGC WMS getMap-request to my favourite WMS server. Part of the URL is a boundingbox (BBox) parameter containing coordinates for lower left and upper right corner, and how many x-y pixels there should be. Further the projection must be specified. An easy test case would be the equir...

IDL projections (MAP_PROJ_IMAGE) and ENVI projections, Select spatial substets of images
Hi together, I have a problem using map projections since I didn't get the same results for IDL and ENVI. My task is to reproject an image in lat/lon's (WGS 84, Geographic lat lon) to mercator for Australia and show/save (*.png) only spatial defined subsets of this reprojected image. (And also define "bigger" spatial subset and pin the image on the right position) I tested MAP_IMAGE and MAP_PROJ_IMAGE in IDL, but in both cases a had a problem with the output dimension. MAP_IMAGE seems to act in accordance with the predefined windows size and with MAP_PROJ_IMAGE it is possi...

REQ: Books/Articles on Mapping, Map Projections, Geospatial Analysis, etc. !!! TIA !!!

REQ: Java software/code for mapping, map projections, geospatial analysis, etc. !!! TIA !!!
"Steve" <x@y.com> burped up warm pablum in news:plImf.2328$Jz6.928@trnddc06: > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GIS_software -- Sincerely, Tris Orendorff [Two antennae meet on a roof, fall in love and get married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.] LOL. I like scandianvian jokes. On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:41:25 GMT, Tris Orendorff <triso@remove-me.cogeco.ca> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >"Steve" <x@y.com> burped up warm pablum in Do you talk that way to strangers in the...

STL: Map of maps possible, but no multi-map of maps? Workarounds?
It's possible to do this: map<double, map <string, int> > foo; but not this or any other nested variant using multimap: multimap<double, map <string, int> > foo; Any known (or unknown) workarounds? Thanks Marcus Marcus wrote: > It's possible to do this: > > map<double, map <string, int> > foo; > > but not this or any other nested variant using multimap: > > multimap<double, map <string, int> > foo; Works with comeau online 4.3.3, also with g++ 3.4.2 hmmm... you're right, i must have a bug somewhere. gl...

World Of Spectrum, envy, envy, envy.
How come the Specheads get such a brilliant website? Does the 64 have anything even close? <daniel.otoole@ucd.ie> wrote in message news:1143729999.797629.205330@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > How come the Specheads get such a brilliant website? Does the 64 have > anything even close? They only have one site - we have multiple :-) Lance -- // http://landover.no-ip.com Classic machines, classic software // --- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0613-1, 03/29/2006 Tested on: 3/31/2006 5:19:51 AM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Soft...

Map Projection Question
Folks, Here area a couple of questions I don't have time to research this morning. How can I tell if the current data coordinate system is a map coordinate system? And, how can I tell the difference between a lat/lon map coordinate system and an XY map coordinate system? Cheers, David -- David Fanning, Ph.D. Fanning Software Consulting, Inc. Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming: http://www.dfanning.com/ Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.") Hi David, In general, you should look at the metadata. It also helps if you know, what kin...