Map projection in ENVI

Hi everyone,
I would like to reproject the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis I/surface flux 1.8
deg resolution datasets of air temperature (2m-daily), pressure
(daily) and wind (U/V-daily) from the geographic lat/lon to the Polar
Stereographic projection using ENVI and the spatial resolution should
be brought to either 1 km or 6.25 km. I tried by using the Convert map
projection tool in ENVI but I am not getting the desired final result.
Please help.
0
kamal
6/8/2010 8:05:54 AM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 11649 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
535 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35
kamal writes: 

> I would like to reproject the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis I/surface flux 1.8
> deg resolution datasets of air temperature (2m-daily), pressure
> (daily) and wind (U/V-daily) from the geographic lat/lon to the Polar
> Stereographic projection using ENVI and the spatial resolution should
> be brought to either 1 km or 6.25 km. I tried by using the Convert map
> projection tool in ENVI but I am not getting the desired final result.

What kind of result did you get?

Cheers,

David



-- 
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming: http://www.dfanning.com/
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
David
6/8/2010 12:44:41 PM
On Jun 8, 5:44=A0pm, David Fanning <n...@dfanning.com> wrote:
> kamal writes:
> > I would like to reproject the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis I/surface flux 1.8
> > deg resolution datasets of air temperature (2m-daily), pressure
> > (daily) and wind (U/V-daily) from the geographic lat/lon to the Polar
> > Stereographic projection using ENVI and the spatial resolution should
> > be brought to either 1 km or 6.25 km. I tried by using the Convert map
> > projection tool in ENVI but I am not getting the desired final result.
>
> What kind of result did you get?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> --
> David Fanning, Ph.D.
> Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
> Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming:http://www.dfanning.com/
> Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")

Some distorted type of image. The lat/lon vlaues and the parameter
values are all assigned to each pixel but the image seems to be, I
don't know, not correct.
Is it possible to regrid the coarse resolution to a higher resolution
using some interpolation method in ENVI (not in IDL!) and also change
the map projection?

Kamal
0
kamal
6/9/2010 10:16:51 AM
kamal writes: 

> Some distorted type of image. The lat/lon vlaues and the parameter
> values are all assigned to each pixel but the image seems to be, I
> don't know, not correct.

There is probably much in ENVI to improve, but
personally, I feel great confidence in their map
projection software. At least in my case, every
time I have tried to confirm a result that seemed
"strange" to me, the problem turned out to be a 
faulty assumption or incomplete knowledge on my
part, rather than a problem with the software.

> Is it possible to regrid the coarse resolution to a higher resolution
> using some interpolation method in ENVI (not in IDL!) and also change
> the map projection?

Regrid to a higher resolution using what information?
If you start with low resolution data, producing high
resolution output is imaginary art, not science. :-)

Cheers,

David
-- 
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming: http://www.dfanning.com/
Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")
0
David
6/9/2010 11:04:49 AM
On Jun 9, 4:04=A0pm, David Fanning <n...@dfanning.com> wrote:

> There is probably much in ENVI to improve, but
> personally, I feel great confidence in their map
> projection software. At least in my case, every
> time I have tried to confirm a result that seemed
> "strange" to me, the problem turned out to be a
> faulty assumption or incomplete knowledge on my
> part, rather than a problem with the software.

>
> Regrid to a higher resolution using what information?
> If you start with low resolution data, producing high
> resolution output is imaginary art, not science. :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
> --
> David Fanning, Ph.D.
> Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
> Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming:http://www.dfanning.com/
> Sepore ma de ni thui. ("Perhaps thou speakest truth.")

Thank you so much for your reply David. The original data is in
~1.8X1.8 degree spatial resolution in geographic lat/lon projection. I
want to reproject it into polar stereographic projection (North) so
that I can compare it with the AMSR-E L3 gridded data (which are in
polar stereographic projection).
0
kamal
6/11/2010 3:22:30 PM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

Re: Mapping the middle mouse button in the Display Manager
Phil, No guarantee, of course, but I'd suggest downloading and installing Microsoft Intellipoint. It's free and offers a number of choices for the behavior of the wheel button. If you don't like it you simply uninstall it. And, better yet, it works with logitech mice as well. You can find it at: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/DownloadResult.aspx? category=MK&type=Mouse&name=KEY-00023&os=XP_32&lang=en or, in short form: http://xrl.us/bgth9x HTH, Art ------- On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:09:05 -0500, Philip Rack <PhilRack@MINEQUEST.COM...

keyboard language mapping
Hello, We have ultrasparcs running solaris 2.6 and solaris 8 with keyboards mapped for US layout. We want to map them for UK layout. Can someone please tell which files to edit. I can google hundreds of similar question but not a single concise answer how to do it. Cannot find the solution at docs.sun either. Many thanks. ...

US-TX-Austin: Project Manager, Manage PC maintenance/development projects (45293457607)
US-TX-Austin: Project Manager, Manage PC maintenance/development projects (45293457607) ======================================================================================= Position: Project Manager Reference: SMC01172 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: 3-5 years relevant experience required, 6-8 years preferred. Thorough knowledge of PC usage. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Specialized knowledge of functional area and/or government regulations. BS/BA degree required. ...

US-TX-Austin: Project Manager, Manage PC maintenance/development projects (45288557610)
US-TX-Austin: Project Manager, Manage PC maintenance/development projects (45288557610) ======================================================================================= Position: Project Manager Reference: SMC01172 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: 3-5 years relevant experience required, 6-8 years preferred. Thorough knowledge of PC usage. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Specialized knowledge of functional area and/or government regulations. BS/BA degree required. Man...

Map a string
Factor: "HAL" [ 1 + ] map . "IBM" On Mar 12, 7:19=A0pm, "WJ" <w_a_x_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Factor: > > "HAL" [ 1 + ] map . > "IBM" For persistent OT posting I think you deserve a "JOLLY" [ 7 - ] map . "CHEER" Alex McDonald <blog@rivadpm.com> writes: >On Mar 12, 7:19=A0pm, "WJ" <w_a_x_...@yahoo.com> wrote: >> Factor: >> >> "HAL" [ 1 + ] map . >> "IBM" > >For persistent OT posting I think you deserve a > ...

Blinking text with immutable color maps
We want to port a legacy application that depends on using writable color maps in 8-bit Pseudocolor visual for blinking text. Our target is to use 24-bit TrueColor - the legacy app also runs in 24-bit DirectColor but we want to get away from requiring a writable color map. The writable colormap trick was a fast way to flash many items on the screen all at once, without having to loop through each item. The only suggestions I've seen with non-writable color maps are to use XmNforeground & background; I'm assuming this would mean looping through each widget to blink? R...

Display of topo map in MAP routines.
Hello, I'm sure this question has come up before (I did a quick search of David Fanning's tips but didn't immediately see anything). Apologies in advance for being a bit lazy.... Can someone outline (real quick) the steps needed to display a topo map in the background of a map projection? Other point data will be overplotted over this background. Does a DEM file come with IDL, or do I need to visit the USGS? Thanks for any info/help. cheers, paulv Paul van Delst writes: > Can someone outline (real quick) the steps needed to display a topo map in the background > of a ...

[PATCH] new map switch -B returns multiple BEST results for dns and bestmx map types
While trying to write some rules to accomplish bogus mx (as listed in access db) checking on recipients to cut down on double bounces, I wrote these experimental patches that allow the return of the multiple best results from the dns map or from the bestmx map. Currently the -z switch returns them all and without the -z you get just one of the possible multiple best ones. Whether that is actually a problem may vary. With these patches, specifying the -z and -B flags means you will get multiple results for MX and SRV records from the dns (bestmx) map type that are of equal lowest (most prefer...

VPN for C++ application. cannot map folders on my computer.
VPN connected but cannot map folders on my computer. I am trying to connect to our headquarters server using VPN (windows XP). I am able to successfully connect to the server (passes authentication) but am not able to map network drive on my computer. I was able to map the network drive on my colleague's computer and I successfully installed the application and his computer is working flawlessly. Also I have to uncheck (use default gateway on remote network) option under TCP/IP -> advanced settings for me to surf the web/ check email while I am connected to the VPN. My colleagues I...

Changing map keys (no reordering of keys)
Hello world, I currently have implemented a sparse array needed by a class as a map<int, boost::shared_ptr<my_type> >. However, one of the derived classes needs to periodically "tighten" the sparse array (i.e. make it non-sparse). For example: a[0] = 1 a[4] = 2 a[42] = 54 => a[0] = 1 a[1] = 2 a[2] = 54 I'm currently somewhat puzzled at how I would rearrange the keys. One possible solution I thought would be: /*where inv is the member containing the map*/ int lim = inv.size(); map<int, boost::shared_ptr<my_type> >::iterator it = inv.begin(); for(...

Bump Map
Hi, when a Bump Map filter is used with a rather dark background layer, it's hardly visible. Therefore I'd like to lighten up the bumpded text (in my case) a bit. Of course that's possible by selecting all the bumped parts but that's very tedious. Is there something easier? Many thanks for your help, Helmut Jarausch. In <459255e1$0$31460$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, Helmut Jarausch wrote: > when a Bump Map filter is used with a rather dark background layer, it's hardly > visible. Therefore I'd like to lighten up the bumpded text (in my case) a bit. > ...

GMail-to-IMAP mapping puzzles
I could use some ideas from people on how to map some of these things: - Google's "unique identifiers" for messages are 64-bit integers. Right now I'm just using the bottom 32 bits; probably the best I can do is hash the top and bottom into 32 bits, but there's still a remote chance of collision. - Google's UIDs aren't monotonic; they're random. Any ideas on what UIDNEXT should mean in this context? I'm out-of-spec on this issue right now, and although it works with most clients, I don't want to leave things this way. ...

Mapping class D to Ethernet physical address
Hi, Is the Multicast IP to mac resolution is done at host pc's end also. to make a multicast MAC address For exp if multicast ip address is 227.2.3.7 then its mac address 01-00-5e-02-03-07 is made at host pc end , as then it send packet by setting this mac address to the DA field. Vikrant On Jun 11, 4:08=A0am, vicky <vikrant.pan...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is the Multicast IP to mac resolution =A0 is done at host pc's end > also. > to make a multicast MAC address > > For exp > if multicast ip address is > > 2...

Initializing a map...
Is there a way in C++ to initialize an STL map in one statement (the way arrays can be initialized in C)? For example, instead of using: map<type1,type2> mymap; mymap[key1] = value1; mymap[key2] = value2; I would like to use something like: // wrong syntax! map<type1,type2> mymap = { (key1, value1), (key2, value2) }; barcaroller wrote: > Is there a way in C++ to initialize an STL map in one statement (the way > arrays can be initialized in C)? > > For example, instead of using: > > map<type1,type2> mymap; > mymap...

java ai project
dont send mail to admin@aistockbot.ravichoudhari.worldfreeweb.com, i cannot access it, u can send mail to ravichoudhari@gmail.com ...

Free GIS Software by VB 6, Download Google Earth Maps and build your own Maps
Free GIS Software by VB 6, Download Google Earth Maps, Trace & save GPS route, View & Rectify Raster Images, gif, jpg, bmp Edit & make shape files by Elshayal Smart GIS Map Editor 3.7.6 by VB 6 http://www.smartwebonline.com/ or in Direct Download http://www.download.com/ElshayalSmart/3000-6677-10854526.html?part=dl-ElshayalS&subj=uo&tag=button or http://www.cadmagazine.com/downloads/download.php?id=143 Thank you and best regards Mohamed Elshayal The First Arabian GIS Software http://www.smartwebonline.com/ ...

map within map
Is there any problem in using of map as declared below? map<int, map<int, float>> test; Cleber [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] Cleber wrote: > Is there any problem in using of map as declared below? > > map<int, map<int, float>> test; Yes, the syntax is wrong as the '>>' is interpreted as shift operator - use '> >' instead. Further, you need the std:: of course and the header <map>. Uli [ See http://www.gotw.ca/...

Where to host the Ruby Project Source Code
Hi, I have created the Ruby Driver for CUBRID Database System. Currently working on ActiveRecord Adapter for CUBRID. The driver gem has already been pushed to RubyGems.org, so available through "gem install cubrid". At this moment the source code is hosted at sourceforge.net in CUBRID's SVN. Recently some users proposed to branch out and open a separate project for CUBRID Ruby Driver/AR at Github, so that the developers could make contributions. Before we make the final decision, I would like to ask for everyone's opinion what is the best place (again, in your...

kohan IS maps
Are the 12 maps included with the 'Special Awards Edition' of Kohan IS available for download anywhere? I see 8 listed on the Timegate website, I don't know if these are from the special edition or not. ...

National Geographic Maps fonts
Looking for information about the main font(s) used on the maps made by National Geographic Society (NG maps). Thank you. On Nov 21, 9:31 am, gislan...@gmail.com wrote: > Looking for information about the main font(s) used on the maps made > by National Geographic Society (NG maps). Thank you. They're beautiful, aren't they! The only tip I can give you is that it looks like the hand of Matthew Carter. Perhaps he was involved. I'd like to know more about these too. On 11/21/2007 3:31 AM, gislandia@gmail.com wrote: > Looking for information about the main font(s) used on...

JUTLAND MAP PACK 1 IS A HIT!!!
.... or so says the email I rec'd this AM. I wonder what constitutes a "hit" when the main product has only 11 sales? -- Giftzwerg *** "The president looks in the mirror and sees FDR. Increasingly, the rest of the country look at him and see Jimmy Carter, perhaps even James Buchanan." - John Steele Gordon Are there any public sales data for SES's prime titles? > I wonder what constitutes a "hit" when the main product has > only 11 sales? A hit on the company that produced it. On 22/04/2012 1:0...

map
I have an imageID and a pair of (X,Y) coordinate how can I map( X,Y) coordinate as a key to imageID? for example (1,1) -> image1 (2,1) -> image5 (5,4) -> image12 (1,9) -> image8 .... etc what Class object i should use? any example code ? Joy Maitland wrote: > I have an imageID and a pair of (X,Y) coordinate > > how can I map( X,Y) coordinate as a key to imageID? > > for example > > (1,1) -> image1 > (2,1) -> image5 > (5,4) -> image12 > (1,9) -> image8 > ... etc > > what Class object i should use? [snip] What about: ty...

Test Director
I am having a problem with my Test Director installation. I changed my network settings on the server from DHCP to a Static IP. Now, when I load Test Directer, I get no projects in the list. On a remote client, I get an error "Server is not initialized". Anyone have any ideas? Configuration file(s) screwed up somewhere? Thanks! ...

PHP + Javascript UK Map
Hi, Not sure where to post this, but will try here first. I am looking for a UK map that allows the user to drill down to county, then town level. A good example would be something like http://www.findaproperty.com Thanks On Mar 1, 12:05 pm, "Nel" <n...@NOSPAMne14.co.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > Not sure where to post this, but will try here first. > > I am looking for a UK map that allows the user to drill down to county, then > town level. A good example would be something likehttp://www.findaproperty.com > > Thanks Have you considered using the G...

shade area between two curves on a map axis
Hi, I am plotting tracks of birds that have error associated with each location. I would like to plot the estimated track (latitude, longitude) and then shade the 2-D space that is the error along the track (latitude + and - latitudeSD and same for longitude). Something like jbfill, but would work like plotm and use the map axis. Somehow the code has to be flexible and allow loops in the tracks and shade the errors accordingly. Any suggestions for where to start would be much appreciated. Thanks Rachael jbfill: (http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/13188-shade-ar...