tvrd and multiple monitors

I frequently work using a second monitor plugged into my Powerbook
for extra screen space. I just now encountered an odd bug with
the good Dr. Fanning's TVRD.PRO and the use of that second monitor.

Here's the scenario. I fire up IDL, running it in an xterm on my
primary monitor, and plot some things to a large display window on
my second monitor. Then I want to save that plot to disk - but not so fast!

IDL>     result = tvread(filename=outfile,/png,/nodialog)
% TVRD: Unable to create X windows Window completely off screen, nothing read.

Window off screen? What happens if I drag that window back over onto my
primary monitor?

IDL>     result = tvread(filename=outfile,/png,/nodialog)

Voila, things work fine. So there's an easy work-around here - just move the
window when you want to save the plot - but that's annoying! Is this a
problem that others also have, or is it perhaps specific to my situation
(IDL 6.1, Mac OX 10.4, G4 Powerbook)?  I'm curious if this behavior
is the same on a multiheader Linux box...

 - Marshall
0
news2275 (22)
8/30/2006 8:36:47 AM
comp.lang.idl-pvwave 12260 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

Marshall Perrin writes:

> I frequently work using a second monitor plugged into my Powerbook
> for extra screen space. I just now encountered an odd bug with
> the good Dr. Fanning's TVRD.PRO and the use of that second monitor.
>
> Here's the scenario. I fire up IDL, running it in an xterm on my
> primary monitor, and plot some things to a large display window on
> my second monitor. Then I want to save that plot to disk - but not so fast!
>
> IDL>     result = tvread(filename=outfile,/png,/nodialog)
> % TVRD: Unable to create X windows Window completely off screen, nothing read.
>
> Window off screen? What happens if I drag that window back over onto my
> primary monitor?
>
> IDL>     result = tvread(filename=outfile,/png,/nodialog)
> IDL>
>
> Voila, things work fine. So there's an easy work-around here - just move the
> window when you want to save the plot - but that's annoying! Is this a
> problem that others also have, or is it perhaps specific to my situation
> (IDL 6.1, Mac OX 10.4, G4 Powerbook)?  I'm curious if this behavior
> is the same on a multiheader Linux box...

My understanding of this problem is that it is a windows
problem. At least, when we were investigating it we found
the very same thing happened in a C program we were using
as a test suite. (We were working on Windows, so perhaps
this is different from UNIX.) Maybe Karl has some insight.

In any case, I presume this is something that has been
addressed in the IDL 6.3 release, which added "multiple
monitor support". I haven't tested it, since that was about
the only thing in that release I even remotely cared about,
and I still haven't upgraded

Cheers,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:34:11 -0600, David Fanning wrote:

> Marshall Perrin writes:
>
>> I frequently work using a second monitor plugged into my Powerbook
>> for extra screen space. I just now encountered an odd bug with
>> the good Dr. Fanning's TVRD.PRO and the use of that second monitor.
>>
>> Here's the scenario. I fire up IDL, running it in an xterm on my
>> primary monitor, and plot some things to a large display window on
>> my second monitor. Then I want to save that plot to disk - but not so fast!
>>
>> IDL>     result = tvread(filename=outfile,/png,/nodialog)
>> % TVRD: Unable to create X windows Window completely off screen, nothing read.
>>
>> Window off screen? What happens if I drag that window back over onto my
>> primary monitor?
>>
>> IDL>     result = tvread(filename=outfile,/png,/nodialog)
>> IDL>
>>
>> Voila, things work fine. So there's an easy work-around here - just move the
>> window when you want to save the plot - but that's annoying! Is this a
>> problem that others also have, or is it perhaps specific to my situation
>> (IDL 6.1, Mac OX 10.4, G4 Powerbook)?  I'm curious if this behavior
>> is the same on a multiheader Linux box...
>
> My understanding of this problem is that it is a windows
> problem. At least, when we were investigating it we found
> the very same thing happened in a C program we were using
> as a test suite. (We were working on Windows, so perhaps
> this is different from UNIX.) Maybe Karl has some insight.
>
> In any case, I presume this is something that has been
> addressed in the IDL 6.3 release, which added "multiple
> monitor support". I haven't tested it, since that was about
> the only thing in that release I even remotely cared about,
> and I still haven't upgraded

The problem happens (still happens on IDL 6.3 with the MM support) whenever
there is an extended desktop. Windows multi-monitor is always an
extended desktop and you have an extended desktop when using Xinerama on
either OS X or Unix. IDL is "clipping" the read operation to the extents
of the primary monitor, when it should be using the extents of the
extended desktop. This looks like something we overlooked in the new MM
support. I'll open a problem report and see if we can get it fixed in the
next release.

Thanks!
Karl

Multiple Monitors / Multiple Views
Hi everyone... I am working on an application that needs to have two different display systems which display two different screens of information simultaneously. I can plug another display adapter into the motherboard, but how do I find and talk to the new device from Visual C++? email reply address is bogus... in an obvious way - but replies to the newsgroup would probably be more useful to stimulate discussion... Thanks in advance... Amanda Amanda Rekkonwith wrote: > Hi everyone... > > I am working on an application that needs to have two different di...

Dual Monitor (Multiple-monitor?) software for notebooks?
Hi, I have a "Dell inspiron 1150" an was wondering if it is possible to setup my notebook with a desktop monitor so I could get more "screen real-estate". I am hoping to avoid the hardware route (I have found a few hardware solutions already) if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, I have a "Dell inspiron 1150" an was wondering if it is possible to > setup my notebook with a desktop monitor so I could get more "screen > real-estate". I am hoping to avoid the hardware rou...

Multiple monitors
I have an HP laptop with a docking station. On this docking station there are 2 video outputs, one VGA one DVI. I am currently running a second monitor off the VGA port which gives me 2 monitors (including the one on the laptop itself). What I want to do is have 3 monitors. The one on the laptop, on off the VGA and another off the DVI (I may have the acronym wrong on that one, it's the digital one though). Is this even possible? If so, how??? Thanks in advance, Phil You'll need to check the specs on the dock. It may be the case that you can use either the VGA or the DVI at one time, but not both. On the other hand, it might support use of both, as some video cards do. In that case, you will either need another monitor that has compatible DVI input - be sure it's the right flavor - DVI-I or DVI-D. If the dock outputs DVI-I, you should be able to use an adapter to convert that to VGA, if needed. Val "bones" <ssgbones@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c7acb635-80f1-415b-a806-7bb0f2780438@w56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... I have an HP laptop with a docking station. On this docking station there are 2 video outputs, one VGA one DVI. I am currently running a second monitor off the VGA port which gives me 2 monitors (including the one on the laptop itself). What I want to do is have 3 monitors. The one on the laptop, on off the VGA and another off the DVI (I may have the acronym wrong on that one, it's the digital one though). Is this even ...

Multiple Monitors
Hi, I want to set up my system so that i have two monitors, one with X on it and the other one with a console. What would i have to do for that? I have two monitors and two graphiccards on my system at the moment, but only one of each is being used. Thanks in advandce, Thomas PS: I hav Suse 7.0 pro installed Your first option would be to utilise the second screen as more of a dumb terminal. What you're suggesting is a little tough, because your machine is going to need to know where to put the keyboard commands it reads from you. Is this likely to be a two-operator setup? If not, then it's kinda redundant... Roving between two monitors is relatively straight forward to set up, especially with NVIDIA TwinView. But at the same time, I don't belive that a console support the ability to roll accross and do work that way. The two-X screens is powered by an extra extension to the server (Xinerama?) and is not pure VGA console enabled. You could always run TwinView and have your working desktop on one, and a full screen terminal window on the other... And if you feel like it, you can always drag the odd app over to the second monitor! In your case, you sound like you have a half-decent and possibly a slightly dodgey Video card - maybe invest in a newer dual-head one to eliminate set-up hassle. Possibly an upper-mid-range NVIDIA card with SVGA and DVI out, and you could take the DVI back to SVGA for the older monitor. Cheers Tim -- http://members.swiftdsl.com...

Multiple monitors
Hi, In the past, I've configured each *pair* of workstations in my work area to support a pair of 4:3 monitors, side by side -- using the A/B switches in the monitors themselves to select between which of the workstations' displays is presented on that monitor (e.g., Workstation A displays 1 and 2 on the two monitors; Workstation B displays 1 and 2 on the two monitors; WS A 1 on monitor 1 with WS B 2 on monitor 2; etc.). This has made it easy for me to consult one machine while working on another -- as well as having bigger "desktops" on either. I've been ...

[News] Touch Screen Monitors in Linux, Even with Multiple Monitors

Simplest way to spawn multiple IDL processes from within IDL?
I have a piece of code that I want to run on multiple data files with the o= nly difference in the input being the date within each filename. Previously for a small number of files I've just done it in a loop somethin= g like this: dates=3D['200901', '200902', '200903'] FOR i=3D0, n_elements(dates)-1 do begin this_date=3Ddates[i] processing_code, this_date ENDFOR The processing_code routine itself can take a while to run and now that the= number of dates I'm processing is getting larger I wondered if there was a= straightforward wait to spaw...

Create custom control that looks like a multiple monitor control that manages monitors
Hi All, I want to create custom control that looks like a multiple monitor control that manages monitors on Mac. The custom control should allow the rectangle dragging and resizing same way we are moving monitor rectangle can be moved. If there are two rectangles then custom control should not allow overlapping of two rectangles? What is the efficient way to design such control? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks & Regards, RRD. ...

[IDL 6.2 with ENVI 4.2] is-it possible to extract multiple profiles on multiple images from shape files
dear members, I am a new member of this group, I come from france, and I am a new user of IDL too. firstly, I would like to say hello to everyone, and thanks those who are going to help me. I have a problem with a program I try to make without any solution for me. I have 5 profiles in ".shape" format (that I can convert to .evf without any problem), and I have 16 images. what I want to do is to extract all the values along each profile in each images. I tried with the "PROFILE" function in IDL but I can't use the profil that I allready have in my possesion. my question is does anyone allready make this kind of task and if yes could you give to me some advises to reach my goal. thanks a lot best regards yoann I have to complete my question : I work with IDL 6.2 with ENVI 4.2...this question is thus for ENVI expert in priority i think Yoann yoann06 writes: > I am a new member of this group, I come from france, and I am a new > user of IDL too. > > firstly, I would like to say hello to everyone, and thanks those who > are going to help me. > I have a problem with a program I try to make without any solution for > me. > I have 5 profiles in ".shape" format (that I can convert to .evf > without any problem), and I have 16 images. what I want to do is to > extract all the values along each profile in each images. I tried with > the "PROFILE" function in IDL but I can't use the profil that I >...

Troubles with multiple monitors
I have a laptop computer and I want to hook up a projector to it. This projector will ideally display the same image as the laptop screen. However, when I try to do this, Windows enlists the projector as a "secondary monitor" and all that is displayed on the projector is my desktop background. No desktop icons or windows. How do I make the projector a second primary monitor instead of a secondary monitor. The "use this monitor as the primary monitor" box is disabled. Thanx in advance, -PA Phillip wrote: > I have a laptop computer and I want to hook up a projector to it. This > projector will ideally display the same image as the laptop screen. > However, when I try to do this, Windows enlists the projector as a > "secondary monitor" and all that is displayed on the projector is my > desktop background. No desktop icons or windows. How do I make the > projector a second primary monitor instead of a secondary monitor. The > "use this monitor as the primary monitor" box is disabled. I'd suggest feeding the output cable through a splitter so the computer only "sees" one outgoing video signal, but that's rather difficult to accomplish with a laptop. :P -- http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron. "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness ...

Multiple monitor hookups
I'm thinking about hooking up 3 monitors to my system to get multiple views in my flight sims. I've searched the web, but didn't see a whole lot. Have any of you all tried hooking up more then 1 monitor to your system, and if so any info on it? Like does it require a video card for each monitor? Can I do this with WinME or will I need to switch to WinXP. Will this work for CFS3, IL2, .... or is it limited to certain sims? tia Jonathan On this day of our lord, Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:31:38 -0400, "Jonathan" <jonathan@nospam.com> quilled: >I...

VisualWorks on multiple monitors
Did anyone figure out how to run VW on multiple monitors? Especially VW5? Menus shows on primary monitor and it seems to be impossible to make notebook's external monitor to be primary. Any idea appreciated, Stan si_bendoviNO_S_P_A_M@hotmail.com wrote: > Did anyone figure out how to run VW on multiple monitors? You need VisualWorks 7.3.1 for fully working multiple monitor support. There is a goodie called MultiMonitor of the goodies/parc directory of the 7.3 distribution, but it works only partially. I hope this helps, Joachim Geidel -- blueCarat Consulting...

Multiple Monitors Problem
Hi, I am building an application which i need to install on one machine having multiple monitors. Using VB, is there any method by which I come to know on which monitor my application exe is running at present? Regards: Sunil > I am building an application which i need to install on one machine > having multiple monitors. > Using VB, is there any method by which I come to know on which monitor > my application exe is running at present? You may find this link of some use to you... http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/enums/enumdisplaymonitors.htm Also look at the links shown in the "Related" listing in the header area of its webpage. Rick ...

Sunray + Multiple monitors?
Is there any Sun thin client that can accept or be made to accept a second monitor? Failing that, how impossible would it be to use two thin clients side-by-side with two monitors, one keyboard, and one mouse? On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Jason Wagner wrote: > Is there any Sun thin client that can accept or be made to accept a second > monitor? Failing that, how impossible would it be to use two thin clients > side-by-side with two monitors, one keyboard, and one mouse? Yes, this can be done (although I've not done it myself). I'm sure the SunRay server docs will have some info ...

multiple monitor death
whenever i startup my pc the monitor displays mem calc and win splash screen, but at the point where it usually starts windows, it switches to standby (led goes yellow) i tried another monitor which is new and works fine on another pc and the same happened. however when i connected the monitor back to my other pc the same it is now happening on that machine. i have since tried a third monitor, same result. i think windows is continuing in the background, but cant be sure as i have sound disabled. please can someone suggest a possible solution, both monitors were farely new and i dont unders...

multiple monitor death
whenever i startup my pc the monitor displays mem calc and win splash screen, but at the point where it usually starts windows, it switches to standby (led goes yellow) i tried another monitor which is new and works fine on another pc and the same happened. however when i connected the monitor back to my other pc the same it is now happening on that machine. i have since tried a third monitor, same result. i think windows is continuing in the background, but cant be sure as i have sound disabled. please can someone suggest a possible solution, both monitors were farely new and i dont unders...

Matlab with multiple monitors
I'm having some issues working with multiple monitors in Matlab. Namely, the issues arise because Matlab seems to hold on to old monitor positions between sessions. I'm running Matlab 2007b on Mac OS X 10.5.8. I switch between two offices; in both, I connect my laptop to an external monitor. If I forget to reposition the Matlab window from one of these external screens prior to disconnecting the monitor, the operating system automatically repositions the window onto the remaining laptop screen. However, Matlab itself continues to remember the old position and tries to open any...

Confused about multiple monitors
What seems to work for one customer doesn't work for another... I think all I really want to achieve is to render on the primary only. In other words, fullscreen on one physical monitor. I had thought that: ::SetRect(&rect, 0, 0, ::GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN), ::GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN)); would do the job. Well, apparently not. Some customers tell me that this ends up on the secondary, or squished up somewhere bizarre. Can anyone set me straight on this? Cheers, Tom codemagic wrote: > What seems to work for one customer doesn't work for another... > > I thi...

multiple regression: multiple years and multiple variables
Dear all, I am somewhat unexperienced in spss, so this question may seem simple to most of you, but I still want to ask it since I could not find the answer anywhere. I have a dataset consisting of yearly data on labor productivity growth for a 40 year period, for 16 countries in total. In the regression I want to make, this is to be the dependent variable. As independent variables I have several other economic data, also on all 16 countries and on the entire 40 year period, so my dataset is complete. My problem is now that it is of course quite easy to do a regression on each of these 16 countries. However, I want to do one joint regression, that basically takes these 16 regressions and gives me one coefficient per independent variable. I have already discovered that some weighting might be necessary, so if this is needed I would like to weigh countries by population. Could you please tell me how to excecute this regression in spss? Thanks in advance!! Greetings Maarten On May 13, 9:24 am, Mterkeurst <mterkeu...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I am somewhat unexperienced in spss, so this question may seem simple > to most of you, but I still want to ask it since I could not find the > answer anywhere. > I have a dataset consisting of yearly data on labor productivity > growth for a 40 year period, for 16 countries in total. In the > regression I want to make, this is to be the dependent variable. As > independ...

monitoring multiple account logins
Hi, have an iMAc24 X.4.11 with multiple user accounts. Is there a log I can look at, or a utility I can use, to examine login/logout times for each user account, from a single admin account? Chris In article <fj4ojn$rid$1@aioe.org>, Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote: > Hi, > > have an iMAc24 X.4.11 with multiple user accounts. Is there a log I can > look at, or a utility I can use, to examine login/logout times for each > user account, from a single admin account? > > Chris man last -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee...

Expect to monitor multiple processes
What is the proper way to use Expect to monitor multiple processes? Example: spawn telnet to host1 ... send a commands to set up the system ... spawn telnet to host2 ... send a few commands to cause host2 talk to host1 ... Now, return to host1 to check for outputs ... might need to go back and forth for many test scenarios ... /Why Tea In article <1173175639.325338.7520@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, Why Tea <ytlim1@gmail.com> wrote: >What is the proper way to use Expect to monitor multiple processes? > >Example: > spawn telnet to host1 > ... send a commands to set up the system ... > spawn telnet to host2 > ... send a few commands to cause host2 talk to host1 ... > Now, return to host1 to check for outputs > ... might need to go back and forth for many test scenarios ... > >/Why Tea > The Book has a chapter on this. Briefly, Expect has the intelligence to manage handles to several spawned processes. I don't know what kind of answer you're after apart from the pertinent chapter in the book; it exactly addresses, "the proper way ..." Is there a more specific question you have in mind? Are you after example code? At 2007-03-06 05:07AM, "Why Tea" wrote: > What is the proper way to use Expect to monitor multiple processes? > > Example: > spawn telnet to host1 set host1_id $spawn_id > ... send a commands to set up the system ... > spawn telne...

Screen Saver on Multiple Monitors
On my dual-monitor computer, my screen saver runs in two instances, independent of each other, one on each monitor. Since it's a bit animation heavy, I only want it to run on one of them, but I haven't been able to find a way for an instance to detect whether it's on the main monitor or not. I wasn't able to make much sense of the screens array [NSScreen screens] or either screen's deviceDescription method to discern which screen it was. I ended up using a sort of hack, with a static int that I increment with each instance. Then I don't draw anything if the int is greater than one. This works, and seems to reliably draw only on the main monitor, but it seems like it's just finding the first monitor, not necessarily the main one. It's kind of first come first served, so I'd like to be a little more in control of what's happening. I've looked all over Apple's site, not to mention the many web searches, and haven't found any info on this. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve In article <2005052420515521552%juump@geocitiescom>, Steve <juump@geocities.com> wrote: > On my dual-monitor computer, my screen saver runs in two instances, > independent of each other, one on each monitor. Since it's a bit > animation heavy, I only want it to run on one of them, but I haven't > been able to find a way for an instance to detect whether it's on the > main monito...

Multiple monitors displaying same video
I want to clone the video output of one X client to several other X clients. My system includes a Solaris 8 server running the SunRay server and several SunRay 1 clients. Is there a way to do this in X? -Daniel ...

multiple monitors moving around
I've got a dual monitor setup and recently I've added a third using a cool product called maxivista which allows you to use an old laptop as a slave monitor over a network. When I setup the third monitor it showed up as display 3 on my settings dialog. But after the next reboot my new virtual monitor became 2 and my old 2 became 3 which caused havoc to my dispaly setup. I asked the guys at maxivista what was happening and they said this was windows functionality not their drivers. Does anyone know anything about this behaviour. I'd really like my 1 & 2 to stay where the...

Web resources about - tvrd and multiple monitors - comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Multiple sequence alignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A multiple sequence alignment (MSA) is a sequence alignment of three or more biological sequences , generally protein , DNA , or RNA . In many ...

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Police hunt shooters after 23-year-old man suffers multiple gunshot wounds in Arncliffe
Two men are reportedly on the run after a 23-year-old man was shot on a south Sydney street on Monday afternoon.

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Belgian ministers acknowledge multiple security mistakes
The attacks in Brussels have exposed missteps by European security officials and police, just four months after the Islamic State's assault on ...

A trio of 10: HTC’s new flagship may come in multiple variants
Mobile World Congress was held several weeks ago, and much to the dismay of HTC fans, the Taiwanese OEM had a decidedly non-flagship phone to ...

Terror attacks hit Belgium: Multiple explosions at Brussels airport and metro
A new wave of terrorist attacks has hit Europe, following the incidents in Ankara, Turkey. A series of explosions shocked the Brussels airport ...

Leonardo Di Caprio’s Galaxia App Encourages Having Multiple Personalities
... anything posted in that group stays in that group, and can’t be seen by those outside of it. On top of that, Galaxia users can create multiple ...

Investigators: Multiple ISIS plots being planned in Europe
Investigators are aware of multiple additional ISIS plots in Europe possibly linked to the Paris and Brussels networks that are in various stages ...