IBM, Sun to meet over open source Java(Re: IBM urges Sun to make Java open source)

IBM, Sun to meet over open source Java

"Sun wants to hear more details about IBM's proposal, such as which
parts of Java IBM would like to see made open source and how such a
plan might be carried out, according to Bob Sutor, IBM's director of
WebSphere infrastructure."

"In a meeting with reporters Tuesday, Jonathan Schwartz, Sun's
executive vice president for software, expressed puzzlement over IBM's
proposal, calling the plan "bonky." The open source Linux operating
system has forked into a variety of distributions, and the same fate
could befall Java if it were made open surce, resulting in
incompatibilities, he said."

Personally I think there is good points on both sides. I think Sun has
some very valid concerns after seeing how MS corrupted the JVM. On the
otherhand I think I IBM concerns are legitemate. Java as development
as a language could be speeded up. Perhaps a hybrid of shared
opensource & JCP might work.
0
hizark21
3/5/2004 7:01:08 PM
comp.lang.java.advocacy 1727 articles. 0 followers. see_website (5876) is leader. Post Follow