Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX

Hi:
I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on
Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to
Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win
platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and
AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I
need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access
is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives.
(I can't change database product)

Thanks,
Vasanth
0
bvasanth123
7/12/2004 6:18:14 AM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

on 7/12/2004 11:48 AM Vasanth Wrote:
> Hi:
> I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on
> Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to
> Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win
> platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and
> AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I
> need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access
> is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives.
> (I can't change database product)
>
> Thanks,
> Vasanth
Vasanth,
You would need odbc drivers on Solaris/AIX.
Googling for odbc unix gives a good hit:
http://www.easysoft.com/solutions/accessnw.phtml
Its a good place to start your investigations from...

--
Shanmu.
0
Vasanth wrote:

> Hi:
> I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on
> Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to
> Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win
> platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and
> AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I
> need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access
> is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives.
> (I can't change database product)

My advice would be to ditch Access and use a true server DBMS. Take your
pick from the free MySQL or PostGreSQL to the more commercial options.

Luke
0
Luke
7/12/2004 8:55:47 AM
> Vasanth wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>> I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on
>> Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to
>> Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win
[clip]

If you run MySQL on the Windows machines where you now
run Access you can access it using ODBC--eg. for the M$
Office applications.  Googling for "mysql odbc" displays a
ton of info on this option.   Then you can use the MySQL
JDBC driver to get access for java applications on all
platforms.

For what its worth, if you have RPM on your Solaris systems
you might find this HOWTO about installing MySQL useful:
     http://todlandis.com/entrance/mysql_howto.html
Its written for JDS, but actually applies to any system
with rpm support.

What are the barriers to ditching Access?  Can you say a
little more about this?
- Tod Landis

0
Tod

Java access to Microsoft Access database through Samba
Hi, I need to access from an JSP application in a Linux server to a Microsoft Access database (only read) that is in another Windows server (only accepts users in its domain, that are different from Linux server users) I have configured Samba so that I can access to the database file. When I access through the folder navigator of Linux it requests me user, domain and password and access without problems. I do not know, how to access from a Java/JSP application, it's possible to do it? what driver I must use? it is necessary to configure Samaba to have permission some user in particular (tomcat, apache...) Thanks! JC wrote: > Hi, > > I need to access from an JSP application in a Linux server to a > Microsoft Access database (only read) that is in another Windows server > (only accepts users in its domain, that are different from Linux server > users) > > I have configured Samba so that I can access to the database file. When > I access through the folder navigator of Linux it requests me user, > domain and password and access without problems. > > I do not know, how to access from a Java/JSP application, it's possible > to do it? what driver I must use? it is necessary to configure Samaba > to have permission some user in particular (tomcat, apache...) > > Thanks! I have never tried it, but AFAIK, you would need ODBC drivers on linux, as that is the origin of your JVM. MS Acce...

Java access to Microsoft Access database through Samba
Hi, I need to access from an JSP application in a Linux server to a Microsoft Access database (only read) that is in another Windows server (only accepts users in its domain, that are different from Linux server users) I have configured Samba so that I can access to the database file. When I access through the folder navigator of Linux it requests me user, domain and password and access without problems. I do not know, how to access from a Java/JSP application, it's possible to do it? what driver I must use? it is necessary to configure Samaba to have permission some user in parti...

Hi! Is there a MATLAB command which gives access to a .mdb MS Access database or do I need a special driver? Thanks, Andree Hi Andree Ellert, you can use activeXcontrol to interact with MS-Access database. access = actxserver('Access.Application'); returns the handle for Access. set(access, 'Visible', 1); will show the opened Access window. use get(access) and set(access) commands to find the methods available to call. -Vadivelu M =========== http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/database/datatool.shtml "Andree Ellert" <ellert@gmx.net////...

[...]

access to MS Access password-protected database?
Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. Thanks, Ken On Feb 11, 10:43=A0am, Ken McDonald <kmmcdon...@medicine.wisc.edu> wrote: > Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python =A0 > to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google = =A0 > searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. > > Thanks, > Ken You post is a little vague...

I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how can i make client access database located on the server? "HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71ce567-0434-48b8-b1d2-bb191706ab45@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com... >I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how > can i make client access database located on the server? I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do. You might want to make a little bit of a d...

Any MS Access that is NOT MS Access in WinXP?
Hi all, I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I don't want to use Access anymore. I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road. Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program, and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how ...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); --------...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide...

I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up to now I was running it on a win 98 computer and using access 2003! I installed access 2003 and I can make it run and view the data but I can not save any new records. Has any one seen this problem yet? Thanks Clarence Wollman On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:17:13 -0700, cwoll <clarencewollman@gmail.com> wrote: Do you have the same problem with the Northwind sample application? (search your computer for northwind.mdb) -Tom. >I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up >to now I was running...

Redhat Apache to access MS-Access Database through PHP
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows how to make this work. I have Redhat Liux ES v2.1 Server Apache 1.3 PHP 4.0 a MS-Access MDB file (just the file, already created) The MS-Access file is already in the Redhat Linux server. Is there a way I can make Apache & PHP to access this MS-Access MDB file? Thank you. ...

To enter and access database of MS access or any DBMS usibg C.
hello people, Can any body give me the code or the basic logic to enter and also access data from a Database management system using C?...also tell me the actuall syntax to run an .exe file using C along with the headers to be included.I want to do it in Windows environment only....using turboC In article <1134648270.423831.13110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Sree <gisripa@gmail.com> wrote: >hello people, > Can any body give me the code or the basic logic to >enter and also access data from a Database management system using >C?.....

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

multiple users' simultaneous access to a MS Access database
When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the icon is on her Novell NAL menu) she is successful in opening the database. However, when another staff member is using the database she receives the message that someone is using it and she cannot access it at that time. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to resolve this? I guess it would be a fix to allow multiple users simultaneous access to a MS Access database? Thanks in advance, Zuf Per zufie: >When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the >icon is on her Novell NAL menu...

access to Access
I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect to an Access database with RB. Is that (still) true? If so, that would be a show stipper for us. Thanks for any insight, dave In article <1187719558.603002.257260@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Dave <davegp2@msn.com> wrote: > I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect > to an Access database with RB. Is that (still) true? If so, that > would be a show stipper for us. I've never tried it, but I think you should be able to access Access via ...

Accessing access
Can anyone help me please? This has been driving me nuts for ages. I want to use vb 6.0 to control data in a database (an access database). I've looked at tutorial all over the net but I don't want to use a data grid or anything like that because I want to control the database, not see it. So far, from one tutorial I've managed to get something on the lines of this ****************************************** dim db as Database Set db = OpenDatabase("E:\BT.mdb") dim rspeople as recordset set rspeople = db.openrecordset("people") ******************************************* So what I'm basically trying to do open a database and then set a recordset to it so i can start manipulating data. The actual code is a bit more indepth than this, but this is basically the first few lines run. The program stops on the bit where I set the recordset. I've stepped through the code and the db has definately been opened and there is definately a table in the actual database, but I'm told there is a type mismatch when it gets to the recordset bit. any ideas? it really is driving me nuts, any help is appreciated, Ste SteveMc wrote: > Can anyone help me please? This has been driving me nuts for ages. <snip> > ****************************************** > dim db as Database > Set db = OpenDatabase("E:\BT.mdb") > > dim rspeople as recordset > set rspeople = db.openrecordse...

HXTT Access v1.0 Released for MS Access database
HXTT Access provides a type 4 JDBC driver for Table, System Table, View(Query), and Linked Table of Microsoft Access (MS Access) version from 2.0, 95, 97, 2000, XP, 2002, to 2003. It supports JDBC1.2, JDBC2.0, and JDBC3.0. It supports Personal Java, JDK1.0.X, JDK1.1.X, JDK1.2.X, JDK1.3.X, JDK1.4.X and JDK1.5.X. It supports JBuilder's Database Pilot, Oracle's JVM, JDeveloper 10G, Dreamweaver UltraDev, Dreamweaver ColdFusion, ObJectRelationalBridge, DBVisualizer, Sunopsis, MySQL Migration Toolkit, Tomcat, vqServer, Hibernate, SQuirreL SQL Client, and DbEdit Database Utilites for Eclipse Platform. It supports transaction, XOPEN SQLState, RMI, Jini, JNDI, and serialization. It supports { UNION | INTERSECT | EXCEPT | MINUS } [ ALL ] query , INNER JOIN, FULL JOIN, LEFT JOIN, RIGHT JOIN, NATURAL JOIN, CROSS JOIN, self join, and subquery which includes single-row subquery, multirow subquery, multiple-column subquery, inline views, and correlated subquery. The current version of the HXTT Access packages are available at http://www.hxtt.net/en/software/download.jsp?product=Access . ...

Web resources about - Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX - comp.lang.java.databases

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...