Any MS Access that is NOT MS Access in WinXP?

Hi all,

 I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in
Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I
don't want to use Access anymore.

I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already
know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I
know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory
and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road.

Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program,
and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has
anybody tried it?

Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL,
reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC).

If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it
works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly
on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...)

Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be
too bad! :-)

Do you know of any solution?

Thank you,
Duccio.
0
Duccio
7/4/2003 11:36:24 PM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

Try hsqldb - 100% Java Database.

http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/

"Duccio" <dmg1978@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
>  I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in
> Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I
> don't want to use Access anymore.
>
> I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already
> know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I
> know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory
> and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road.
>
> Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program,
> and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has
> anybody tried it?
>
> Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL,
> reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC).
>
> If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it
> works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly
> on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...)
>
> Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be
> too bad! :-)
>
> Do you know of any solution?
>
> Thank you,
> Duccio.

0
Andy
7/5/2003 6:48:20 AM
McKoi database is:

reliable
pure Java
supports SQL92 standard
can run as a server ("daemon") or be embedded in the app (Ford "Pinto" to
cross the road).
open source
GPL

Works for us...

Alex Molochnikov
Gestalt Corporation

"Duccio" <dmg1978@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
>  I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in
> Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I
> don't want to use Access anymore.
>
> I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already
> know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I
> know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory
> and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road.
>
> Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program,
> and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has
> anybody tried it?
>
> Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL,
> reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC).
>
> If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it
> works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly
> on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...)
>
> Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be
> too bad! :-)
>
> Do you know of any solution?
>
> Thank you,
> Duccio.

0
Alex
7/5/2003 4:39:42 PM
Duccio schrieb:
 > Hi all,
 >
 >  I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in
 > Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I
 > don't want to use Access anymore.
 >
 > I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already
 > know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I
 > know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory
 > and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road.
 >
 > Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program,
 > and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has
 > anybody tried it?
 >
 > Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL,
 > reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC).
 >
 > If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it
 > works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly
 > on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...)
 >
 > Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be
 > too bad! :-)
HSQLDB has already been mentioned. It is really nice. Try it out. HSQLDB
offers a "local" connection mode where you start the DB engine when
connecting to the database.

As I understand your comment about MySQL and I don't understand it for
Postgres. I have it running all the time and after starting it uses about
4MB memory, which is nothing nowadays :-) And it doesn't need any CPU time
as long as I don't use it. Btw. starting the daemon on windows box takes
about 3 seconds :-)

The Linux version doesn't use that much memory either, as far as I recall
from our production servers.

But for the scenario you described, HSQLDB would be the way to go. If you
want to extend your DB work further go with Postgres

Thomas

0
Thomas
7/5/2003 8:35:25 PM
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 07:48:20 +0100, "Andy Flowers"
<andrew.flowers@npspam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Try hsqldb - 100% Java Database.
>
>http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/

Andy, thank you for the link. It looks really nice, but I have some
trouble setting it up. (newbie problem! :-)

I compile my HWA.java file with the following at command line:

C:\java>javac -classpath C:\j2sdk1.4.2\hsqldb\lib\hsqldb.jar HWA.java

*****************Start HWA.java********************

class HWA {

String classpath = System.getProperty("java.class.path");
System.out.println(classpath); //Display the string.
Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
    }
}

*******************End HWA.java *******************

but javac return an exception:

HWA.java:21: unreported exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException;
must be caught or declared to be thrown
Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
                          ^

The path are corrects, and inside hsqldb.jar there is jbdcDriver (I
checked! :-), so, what'm I doing wrong?

It's the first time I use a third part class, and I've already spent
the whole night over it! Google didn't help, so...

Thank you,
Duccio.
0
Duccio
7/7/2003 7:26:21 PM
You need to wrap the Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" ); in a
try...catch block. It can throw a ClassNotFoundException exception.

i.e.

try
{
  Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
}
catch( ClassNotFoundException e)
{
  System.out.println( "Cannot find class!!!!!");
}

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 07:48:20 +0100, "Andy Flowers"
> <andrew.flowers@npspam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Try hsqldb - 100% Java Database.
> >
> >http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/
>

> Andy, thank you for the link. It looks really nice, but I have some
> trouble setting it up. (newbie problem! :-)
>
> I compile my HWA.java file with the following at command line:
>
> C:\java>javac -classpath C:\j2sdk1.4.2\hsqldb\lib\hsqldb.jar HWA.java
>

> *****************Start HWA.java********************
>
> class HWA {
>
> String classpath = System.getProperty("java.class.path");
> System.out.println(classpath); //Display the string.
> Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
>     }
> }
>
> *******************End HWA.java *******************
>
> but javac return an exception:
>
> HWA.java:21: unreported exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException;
> must be caught or declared to be thrown
> Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
>                           ^
>
> The path are corrects, and inside hsqldb.jar there is jbdcDriver (I
> checked! :-), so, what'm I doing wrong?
>
> It's the first time I use a third part class, and I've already spent
> the whole night over it! Google didn't help, so...
>
> Thank you,
> Duccio.

0
Andy
7/7/2003 7:59:12 PM
Andy, Thomas, thank you! :)

>Just do want the compiler says :-)

Wops! Didn't know Java requires to handle the exceptions. For someone
coming from C this is new! :)

After catching it, i had at first some problems with the classpath,
but finally I made it!

>I gues it's also the first time you are using Class.forName()

HOW DID YOU NOTICE! ;))))

Duccio.
0
Duccio