Any MS Access that is NOT MS Access in WinXP?

Hi all,

 I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in
Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I
don't want to use Access anymore.

I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already
know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I
know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory
and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road.

Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program,
and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has
anybody tried it?

Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL,
reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC).

If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it
works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly
on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...)

Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be
too bad! :-)

Do you know of any solution?

Thank you,
Duccio.
0
Duccio
7/4/2003 11:36:24 PM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

Try hsqldb - 100% Java Database.

http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/

"Duccio" <dmg1978@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
>  I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in
> Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I
> don't want to use Access anymore.
>
> I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already
> know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I
> know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory
> and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road.
>
> Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program,
> and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has
> anybody tried it?
>
> Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL,
> reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC).
>
> If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it
> works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly
> on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...)
>
> Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be
> too bad! :-)
>
> Do you know of any solution?
>
> Thank you,
> Duccio.

0
Andy
7/5/2003 6:48:20 AM
McKoi database is:

reliable
pure Java
supports SQL92 standard
can run as a server ("daemon") or be embedded in the app (Ford "Pinto" to
cross the road).
open source
GPL

Works for us...

Alex Molochnikov
Gestalt Corporation

"Duccio" <dmg1978@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
>  I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in
> Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I
> don't want to use Access anymore.
>
> I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already
> know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I
> know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory
> and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road.
>
> Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program,
> and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has
> anybody tried it?
>
> Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL,
> reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC).
>
> If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it
> works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly
> on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...)
>
> Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be
> too bad! :-)
>
> Do you know of any solution?
>
> Thank you,
> Duccio.

0
Alex
7/5/2003 4:39:42 PM
Duccio schrieb:
 > Hi all,
 >
 >  I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in
 > Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I
 > don't want to use Access anymore.
 >
 > I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already
 > know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I
 > know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory
 > and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road.
 >
 > Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program,
 > and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has
 > anybody tried it?
 >
 > Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL,
 > reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC).
 >
 > If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it
 > works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly
 > on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...)
 >
 > Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be
 > too bad! :-)
HSQLDB has already been mentioned. It is really nice. Try it out. HSQLDB
offers a "local" connection mode where you start the DB engine when
connecting to the database.

As I understand your comment about MySQL and I don't understand it for
Postgres. I have it running all the time and after starting it uses about
4MB memory, which is nothing nowadays :-) And it doesn't need any CPU time
as long as I don't use it. Btw. starting the daemon on windows box takes
about 3 seconds :-)

The Linux version doesn't use that much memory either, as far as I recall
from our production servers.

But for the scenario you described, HSQLDB would be the way to go. If you
want to extend your DB work further go with Postgres

Thomas

0
Thomas
7/5/2003 8:35:25 PM
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 07:48:20 +0100, "Andy Flowers"
<andrew.flowers@npspam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Try hsqldb - 100% Java Database.
>
>http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/

Andy, thank you for the link. It looks really nice, but I have some
trouble setting it up. (newbie problem! :-)

I compile my HWA.java file with the following at command line:

C:\java>javac -classpath C:\j2sdk1.4.2\hsqldb\lib\hsqldb.jar HWA.java

*****************Start HWA.java********************

class HWA {

String classpath = System.getProperty("java.class.path");
System.out.println(classpath); //Display the string.
Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
    }
}

*******************End HWA.java *******************

but javac return an exception:

HWA.java:21: unreported exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException;
must be caught or declared to be thrown
Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
                          ^

The path are corrects, and inside hsqldb.jar there is jbdcDriver (I
checked! :-), so, what'm I doing wrong?

It's the first time I use a third part class, and I've already spent
the whole night over it! Google didn't help, so...

Thank you,
Duccio.
0
Duccio
7/7/2003 7:26:21 PM
You need to wrap the Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" ); in a
try...catch block. It can throw a ClassNotFoundException exception.

i.e.

try
{
  Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
}
catch( ClassNotFoundException e)
{
  System.out.println( "Cannot find class!!!!!");
}

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 07:48:20 +0100, "Andy Flowers"
> <andrew.flowers@npspam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Try hsqldb - 100% Java Database.
> >
> >http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/
>

> Andy, thank you for the link. It looks really nice, but I have some
> trouble setting it up. (newbie problem! :-)
>
> I compile my HWA.java file with the following at command line:
>
> C:\java>javac -classpath C:\j2sdk1.4.2\hsqldb\lib\hsqldb.jar HWA.java
>

> *****************Start HWA.java********************
>
> class HWA {
>
> String classpath = System.getProperty("java.class.path");
> System.out.println(classpath); //Display the string.
> Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
>     }
> }
>
> *******************End HWA.java *******************
>
> but javac return an exception:
>
> HWA.java:21: unreported exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException;
> must be caught or declared to be thrown
> Class.forName ( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
>                           ^
>
> The path are corrects, and inside hsqldb.jar there is jbdcDriver (I
> checked! :-), so, what'm I doing wrong?
>
> It's the first time I use a third part class, and I've already spent
> the whole night over it! Google didn't help, so...
>
> Thank you,
> Duccio.

0
Andy
7/7/2003 7:59:12 PM
Andy, Thomas, thank you! :)

>Just do want the compiler says :-)

Wops! Didn't know Java requires to handle the exceptions. For someone
coming from C this is new! :)

After catching it, i had at first some problems with the classpath,
but finally I made it!

>I gues it's also the first time you are using Class.forName()

HOW DID YOU NOTICE! ;))))

Duccio.
0
Duccio

Should I upgrade from MS Access 97 to MS Access 2002
Hi guys My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 for several years now. Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest version? And what does MS JET do? Kjell Arne Johansen MS Jet is the database engine that comes with, and is, by default, used by Microsoft Access. If you aren't having any troubles with the Access 97 database, then there isn't any technical reason to change. There may be company political reasons if, say, the IT department only wants to have one ve...

I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how can i make client access database located on the server? "HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71ce567-0434-48b8-b1d2-bb191706ab45@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com... >I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how > can i make client access database located on the server? I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do. You might want to make a little bit of a d...

Hi! Is there a MATLAB command which gives access to a .mdb MS Access database or do I need a special driver? Thanks, Andree Hi Andree Ellert, you can use activeXcontrol to interact with MS-Access database. access = actxserver('Access.Application'); returns the handle for Access. set(access, 'Visible', 1); will show the opened Access window. use get(access) and set(access) commands to find the methods available to call. -Vadivelu M =========== http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/database/datatool.shtml "Andree Ellert" <ellert@gmx.net////...

access to MS Access password-protected database?
Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. Thanks, Ken On Feb 11, 10:43=A0am, Ken McDonald <kmmcdon...@medicine.wisc.edu> wrote: > Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python =A0 > to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google = =A0 > searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. > > Thanks, > Ken You post is a little vague...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Cal...

conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000
hi access gurus would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to be expected and how to handle it. also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, update and delete. thanx in advance, regards bala balkiicbe@yahoo.com (bala) wrote in message news:<b62a781b.0310080544.6d2a08fc@posting.google.com>... > hi access gurus > > would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms >...

Redhat Apache to access MS-Access Database through PHP
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows how to make this work. I have Redhat Liux ES v2.1 Server Apache 1.3 PHP 4.0 a MS-Access MDB file (just the file, already created) The MS-Access file is already in the Redhat Linux server. Is there a way I can make Apache & PHP to access this MS-Access MDB file? Thank you. ...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); --------...

I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up to now I was running it on a win 98 computer and using access 2003! I installed access 2003 and I can make it run and view the data but I can not save any new records. Has any one seen this problem yet? Thanks Clarence Wollman On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:17:13 -0700, cwoll <clarencewollman@gmail.com> wrote: Do you have the same problem with the Northwind sample application? (search your computer for northwind.mdb) -Tom. >I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up >to now I was running...

Database connection to MS Access & MS Foxpro
Hi, When we select new project ,can "MFC AppWizard(exe)" make connection to database ? or only "database project" can make connection to database ? How do i make connection to database(MS Access/Foxpro) and perform sql using MFC Appwizard(exe) with ODBC --CDatabase? Any sample code ? Thanks. CBTan wrote: > Hi, > > When we select new project ,can "MFC AppWizard(exe)" make connection > to database ? or only "database project" can make connection to > database ? > > How do i make connection to database(MS Acce...

Java with MS Access 2000 Database
Hi All I am trying to connect with MS Access database but faild. Please let me know what are the alternatives, so that I can connect to an Access Database. Thanks in Advance Zee What are you failing with? Make sure you have your data source/DB setup via control panel. The following pice of code shows how I connect to a ms access database called myDB. ------------------ // Load the driver class Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); // Define the data source for the driver String sourceURL = "jdbc:odbc:myDB"; // Create a connection thr...

Hi: I have an MS Access query for a table called MyTable. One of my fields in the query is a custom field that looks like "MyField: = MyFunction(ID)" where ID is a field in MyTable. I have ASP code and I can use it to read the query OK when "MyField" is not part of the query. If I add in MyField and then run my ASP code to try to read all the query fields, I get an error message on my web browser which says something to the effect of "cannot find MyFunction." On the Access side, I have MyFunction set up in a module and use the keyword "Public" in fr...

multiple users' simultaneous access to a MS Access database
When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the icon is on her Novell NAL menu) she is successful in opening the database. However, when another staff member is using the database she receives the message that someone is using it and she cannot access it at that time. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to resolve this? I guess it would be a fix to allow multiple users simultaneous access to a MS Access database? Thanks in advance, Zuf Per zufie: >When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the >icon is on her Novell NAL menu...

To enter and access database of MS access or any DBMS usibg C.
hello people, Can any body give me the code or the basic logic to enter and also access data from a Database management system using C?...also tell me the actuall syntax to run an .exe file using C along with the headers to be included.I want to do it in Windows environment only....using turboC In article <1134648270.423831.13110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Sree <gisripa@gmail.com> wrote: >hello people, > Can any body give me the code or the basic logic to >enter and also access data from a Database management system using >C?.....

HXTT Access v1.0 Released for MS Access database
HXTT Access provides a type 4 JDBC driver for Table, System Table, View(Query), and Linked Table of Microsoft Access (MS Access) version from 2.0, 95, 97, 2000, XP, 2002, to 2003. It supports JDBC1.2, JDBC2.0, and JDBC3.0. It supports Personal Java, JDK1.0.X, JDK1.1.X, JDK1.2.X, JDK1.3.X, JDK1.4.X and JDK1.5.X. It supports JBuilder's Database Pilot, Oracle's JVM, JDeveloper 10G, Dreamweaver UltraDev, Dreamweaver ColdFusion, ObJectRelationalBridge, DBVisualizer, Sunopsis, MySQL Migration Toolkit, Tomcat, vqServer, Hibernate, SQuirreL SQL Client, and DbEdit Database Utilites for Eclipse Platform. It supports transaction, XOPEN SQLState, RMI, Jini, JNDI, and serialization. It supports { UNION | INTERSECT | EXCEPT | MINUS } [ ALL ] query , INNER JOIN, FULL JOIN, LEFT JOIN, RIGHT JOIN, NATURAL JOIN, CROSS JOIN, self join, and subquery which includes single-row subquery, multirow subquery, multiple-column subquery, inline views, and correlated subquery. The current version of the HXTT Access packages are available at http://www.hxtt.net/en/software/download.jsp?product=Access . ...

Web resources about - Any MS Access that is NOT MS Access in WinXP? - comp.lang.java.databases

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Apple's lead attorney frames encryption debate as digital arms race, says only US asking for privileged ...
Apple Insider Apple's lead attorney frames encryption debate as digital arms race, says only US asking for privileged access Apple Insider ...

Fitness Business Is All About Access?
... Swedish FitnessCollection is opening the network of fitness studios in Stockholm. With 84 euros (790 Swedish krona), you can get monthly access ...

Judge who just ruled for Apple shreds the government for using a 227-year-old law to access people’s ...
... the FBI, citing a 227-year-old law called the All Writs Act (AWA), wants to force Apple to create software that would allow the FBI to access ...

Labor Department Accused Of Blocking Access To Guest Workers
Labor Department Accused Of Blocking Access To Guest Workers

EA adds first backwards compatible game to Access vault
Electronic Arts has added the original Plants vs . Zombies game to EA Access, the subscription service for Xbox One and PC. Although the game ...

Facebook's Latin America VP Arrested In Brazil For Blocking Access To Data
... investigation. Facebook 's vice president in Latin America, Diego Dzodan, was arrested Tuesday for not granting Brazilian authorities access ...

A Growing Startup's 'Active Lifestyle' Products Fund Access To Water, Education And Transportation
Social enterprise MiiR helps fund access to clean water, education and transportationand tripled revenues last year.

Telemedicine to Expand Access to Abortion Pill in Maine
The operator of one of Maine's three abortion clinics is expanding access by offering abortion pills without the need for in-office consultation ...

Pakistan complains to MEA after team denied access to meet prisoners
The Pakistan high commission said on Tuesday that a team of its diplomats was denied access to inmates in Jaipur prison and the matter has been ...