connecting to an oracle database... errors...

Im having a little bit of difficulty solving this simple error...  I
konw I have the URL correct, however I cannot connect to the Oracle 9
database.

The error occurs on the line that I assign the connection (ConDB), Im a
little lost, any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

----
strURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@oradev.xxx.com:1521:dev.xxx.com";
strUser = "user"
strPass = "pass"

try {
 //register oracle driver
DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());

// DB logon
ConDB = DriverManager.getConnection (strURL , strUser, strPass);

}

-------
java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection
refused(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=153093632)(ERR=12505)(ERROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12505)(EMFI=4))))
	at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)
	at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:179)
	at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:334)
	at
oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.handleIOException(TTC7Protocol.java:3678)
	at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.logon(TTC7Protocol.java:352)
	at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:365)
	at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance(OracleDriver.java:547)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:347)
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
	at PhoneLookup.main(PhoneLookup.java:38)
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at PhoneLookup.main(PhoneLookup.java:46)
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at PhoneLookup.main(PhoneLookup.java:67)

0
6e
4/5/2005 7:48:41 PM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

6e wrote:

> Im having a little bit of difficulty solving this simple error...  I
> konw I have the URL correct, however I cannot connect to the Oracle 9
> database.
>
> The error occurs on the line that I assign the connection (ConDB), Im a
> little lost, any help is appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
> ----
> strURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@oradev.xxx.com:1521:dev.xxx.com";
> strUser = "user"
> strPass = "pass"

Either your user and password are incorrect, or the last part of your
URL is wrong. Ie: "dev.xxx.com" may be the machine to connect to,
but the last part of the URL is the SID of the DBMS. You need to verify
what the SID of the DBMS is...
Joe Weinstein at BEA

> try {
>  //register oracle driver
> DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());
>
> // DB logon
> ConDB = DriverManager.getConnection (strURL , strUser, strPass);
>
> }
>

> -------
> java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection
> refused(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=153093632)(ERR=12505)(ERROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12505)(EMFI=4))))
> 	at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)
> 	at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:179)
> 	at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:334)
> 	at
> oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.handleIOException(TTC7Protocol.java:3678)
> 	at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.logon(TTC7Protocol.java:352)
> 	at
> oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:365)
> 	at
> oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance(OracleDriver.java:547)
> 	at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:347)
> 	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
> 	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
> 	at PhoneLookup.main(PhoneLookup.java:38)
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at PhoneLookup.main(PhoneLookup.java:46)
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at PhoneLookup.main(PhoneLookup.java:67)

0
Joe
4/5/2005 7:54:36 PM
Well... i checked that information, but I *think* it's all currently
correct...  I included the tnsnames section for reference, please tell
me if Im missing something silly... thanks

DEV =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oradev.xxx.com)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = dev.xxx.com)
    )
  )

0
6e
4/5/2005 8:12:30 PM

6e wrote:

> Well... i checked that information, but I *think* it's all currently
> correct...  I included the tnsnames section for reference, please tell
> me if Im missing something silly... thanks
>
> DEV =
>   (DESCRIPTION =
>     (ADDRESS_LIST =
>       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oradev.xxx.com)(PORT = 1521))
>     )
>     (CONNECT_DATA =
>       (SERVICE_NAME = dev.xxx.com)
>     )
>   )

That does seem to show the right SID, machine, and port. Have you checked
that you can connect with SQL-plus with that tnsnames.ora file, and the
user and password you're using?
Joe

0
Joe
4/5/2005 8:29:50 PM
Is it possible that it could be a driver issue?

I can connect via sql plus...

(thank you for your help!)

0
6e
4/5/2005 8:41:44 PM
In article <1112730521.456016.114360@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
aotemp@hotmail.com enlightened us with...
> Im having a little bit of difficulty solving this simple error...  I
> konw I have the URL correct, however I cannot connect to the Oracle 9
> database.
>
> The error occurs on the line that I assign the connection (ConDB), Im a
> little lost, any help is appreciated!

It's the database listener, quite likely. Check out the config file for
oracle (or have your DBA do it).

Either that or you've got a typo somewhere in the user name, database name,
or password.

> java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection
> refused(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=153093632)(ERR=12505)

See oracle docs for error 12505.
ORA-12505: TNS: listener could not resolve SID given in connection
description.

~kaeli~
Humpty Dumpty was pushed!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

0
kaeli
4/5/2005 8:55:56 PM

6e wrote:

> Is it possible that it could be a driver issue?
>
> I can connect via sql plus...
>
> (thank you for your help!)

No. The driver connected to the DBMS. The DBMS refused to provide a connection.
Something is wrong with your user/password or more likely the SID.
See if you can connect with SQL-PLUS and do a query that returns you what the DBMS thinks
it's SID is.
Joe

0
Joe
4/5/2005 9:21:55 PM
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:48:41 -0700, 6e interested us by writing:

> Im having a little bit of difficulty solving this simple error...  I
> konw I have the URL correct, however I cannot connect to the Oracle 9
> database.
> <snip>

As Joe says, it looks like a connect string problem.  One fairly common
issue - you are using the "service name" as the final parameter, and that
is occasionally different from the SID.  For the sake of amusement (mine),
try changing the "dev.xxx.com" to "dev"

Perhaps you can get additional hints in the Oracle docco at
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/java.920/a96654/getsta.htm#1008461

<unsolicited advice>
Since you are heading down this path, I make you aware that Oracle has a
LOT of related documentation, available free of charge from
http://docs.oracle.com ... pick 'version' > 'view library' > 'books'.  In
particular consider the following, in order:

   Concepts
  	- handy 'how does it work' and 'why doesn't it do it this way' guide
   Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals
	- specifically how to avoid problems encountered in 'generic' coding.
   JDBC Developer's Guide and Reference
	- a good skim showing the minor differences to generic JDBC
   Java Developer's Guide
	- good extensions and tricks
   Supplied Java Packages Reference
	- the freebies you don't have to duplicate
   Supplied PL/SQL Packages Reference
	- more of the same, but written in PL/SQL
   interMedia Java Classes User's Guide and Reference
	- more of the same for text, graphics and geocode
   XML API Reference - XDK and Oracle XML DB
</unsolicited advice>

/Hans
0
HansF
4/5/2005 10:15:51 PM
6e wrote:
> Well... i checked that information, but I *think* it's all currently
> correct...  I included the tnsnames section for reference, please tell
> me if Im missing something silly... thanks
>
> DEV =
>  (DESCRIPTION =
>    (ADDRESS_LIST =
>      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oradev.xxx.com)(PORT = 1521))
>    )
>    (CONNECT_DATA =
>      (SERVICE_NAME = dev.xxx.com)
>    )
>  )

This could be wrong, but if I recall...

The thin driver requires the SID.

The entry (SERVICE_NAME = dev.xxx.com) in Oracle 8i speak is the 'service
name' which is a nice friendly name that can be used. The SID is an 'older'
way of working and refers to what the actual database server has as it's
name there.

You need to ask your DBA what the SID is or take alook at the server and
find out. It might be different, and if I recall it will be as they're
limited to 8 characters.

0
Andy
4/5/2005 10:17:10 PM
6e wrote:
 > Im having a little bit of difficulty solving this simple error...  I
 > konw I have the URL correct, however I cannot connect to the Oracle 9
 > database.
 >
 > strURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@oradev.xxx.com:1521:dev.xxx.com";
6e wrote:
> Well... i checked that information, but I *think* it's all currently
> correct...  I included the tnsnames section for reference, please tell
> me if Im missing something silly... thanks
>
> DEV =
>   (DESCRIPTION =
>     (ADDRESS_LIST =
>       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oradev.xxx.com)(PORT = 1521))
>     )
>     (CONNECT_DATA =
>       (SERVICE_NAME = dev.xxx.com)
>     )
>   )

Try the following syntax for your URL, which eliminates the possibility
of a faulty tnsnames.ora entry:

-----[wrapped for display purposes - one line]-----------
jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=xxx)(PORT=1521))
(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=yourdb.yourdomain)))
------------[end]--------------------------------

Somewhere along the way, I picked up the empirical notion that the thin
driver did not consult the tnsnames.ora (Oracle Net) config file at all.
  Is this true?

-Mark Bole

0
Mark
4/7/2005 1:26:53 AM

> Somewhere along the way, I picked up the empirical notion that the thin
> driver did not consult the tnsnames.ora (Oracle Net) config file at all.
>   Is this true?

Totally true.  The thin driver was originally intended to be downloaded to
the client dynamically on demand - no preconfiguration or setup, and no
TNSNAMES.ora.

(The OCI driver basically punts from Java to OCI to traditional SQLNet and
uses TNSNAMES.ora. For Oracle9i the OCI driver is required for performance
and for full database SQL functionality as thin only has a subset of OCI
driver capabilities.

The OP's issue really depends on using the SID that the listener
recognizes.  Usually that means dropping the ".abc.com" from the global
database name.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each secti...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

Oracle JDBC connect problems-ojdbc6.jar using Native Java commands OK from Matlab,but database toolbox not working -pls help with database toolbox configuration
Hi, I am having some trouble using oracle and jdbc drivers. When I use the native java commands it works from Matlab and I can connect to a database, here is how I do this: javaaddpath('T:\tmp\ojdbc6.jar') aa = oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource() aa.setDriverType('thin') aa.setNetworkProtocol('tcp') aa.setDatabaseName('TESTDB') aa.setServerName('192.0.0.1') aa.setPortNumber(1521) aa.setUser('testuser') aa.setPassword('testpassword') aa.setServiceName('TESTING') conn = aa.getConnection() stmt = conn.createState...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database...

ora-00600 error while connecting to oracle database
Hi, I am using jsp page to connect to oracle database. We are using a Borland Enterprise Server 5.2 application server and a web server running on IIS 6.0. A GUI module is hosted on the web server. When we use the logon.jsp page to connect we get the following error Error Logging On : java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [ttcgcshnd-1], [0], [], [], [], [], [], [] Can you please kindly advice what needs to be done. Thanks vijai vijai_kumar_n@yahoo.com (Vijai Kumar) wrote in message news:<1e3853b6.0406240318.4618b99c@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > I am using jsp page to connect to oracle database. We are using a > Borland Enterprise Server 5.2 application server and a web server > running on IIS 6.0. A GUI module is hosted on the web server. > > When we use the logon.jsp page to connect we get the following error > Error Logging On : java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00600: internal error > code, arguments: [ttcgcshnd-1], [0], [], [], [], [], [], [] > > Can you please kindly advice what needs to be done. > > Thanks > vijai Either lookup ora-600 ttcgcshnd-1 on Metalink or call support. ora-600 is an untrapped error that shouldn't surface. Only support is able to resolve it. Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ...

SN#10373 Tutorial on Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Database Access
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 65 Issue 2 2003-07-07 Article 10373 from section "Java Technology" "Keeping Simple Things Simple" The tutorial on Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) API Database Access by Maydene Fisher covers the basics of the API features of version 2.0. Fisher states, "The JDBC API was designed to keep simple things simple. This means that the JDBC API makes everyday database tasks, like simple SELECT statements, very easy." This trail (section in the tutorial) is divided i...

Can we write trigger on Oracle Database level for abnormal loss of connection to database?
ORACLE: I want a trigger to get fired when my application=92s connection to the database gets disconnected abnormally. I plan to monitor the Server Name and its status in the =93 v$session=93 table. Can I write a trigger that gets fired when =93 v$session=93 table gets edited? How can I achieve it? Is there any other way to execute a stored procedure and perform some steps when a connection is lost to a database? Thanks... Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. shilpa wrote: > ORACLE: > > I want a trigger to get fired when my application�s connection to the > database gets disconnected abnormally. > > I plan to monitor the Server Name and its status in the � v$session� > table. > > Can I write a trigger that gets fired when � v$session� table gets > edited? How can I achieve it? > > Is there any other way to execute a stored procedure and perform some > steps when a connection is lost to a database? > > Thanks... > > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Look up SYSTEM EVENT TRIGGERS in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org and in the docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com. Consider the AFTER SERVERERROR and BEFORE LOGOFF triggers. -- Daniel A. Morgan Oracle Ace Director & Instructor University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:53:58 -0700 (PDT...

Oracle database works properly but from designers tools I can't connect to database
I've installed Oracle 10G on my computer. I can log in using system account. by plsql. I've installed designer and tried to log from designers plsql to the same databse also using sys account - I could not't, I got ora-1017 error. What I'm doing wrong, why plsql from database installation connects me and one from designer installation disallow me from connecting ? I need databse just to run designer for entity and processes diagrams. I need Barkers notation so I can only use Oracle Designer because it's the only tool with Barkers notation. Hope to get some help from You, J...

Connection to different databases from Oracle Java Stored Procedure
Hi, Is it possible to make JDBC connection to a Sybase DB from whithin an Oracle 9i java stored procedure. Thanks Yes, provided you have a pure Java JDBC drivers (type 4) of the target database. I have a SQL Server example that you can easily replicate for Sybase in book (look for "JDBC Call-Out to non-Oracle database" in chapter 4). http://db360.blogspot.com/2006/08/oracle-database-programming-using-java_01.html Kuassi murat.arslan@turkcell.com.tr wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to make JDBC connection to a Sybase DB from whithin an > Oracle 9i java stored procedure. > > Thanks ...

How to connect Java application with Oracle Database using JDBC?
Hi friends , Myself dilip while learning java, JDBC:ODBC bridge to connect java application with Ms-Access we easily do using DriverManager,Connection,Statement,PreparedStatement,ResultSet, ResultSetMetaData. But when i try to connect java program to Oracle it's gives a number of errors.please ,If anyone has appropriate solution to this provide me. Thanks . Dilip Kumar http://www.intelcs.com/IT-Companies/ public OracleConnection connect() throws Exception {String connectString ="jdbc:oracle:thin:@some.server.name:someportnumber:somedatabasename";OracleDriver driver = new Oracle...

VB 6: Connecting via ODBC driver to Oracle database error
In this VB function, how am I going to input VB code who is going to connect via ODBC with oracle database. Error shows at the --->>> Public Function get_cjena_imp(p_vccid As Integer, p_datum As Date) Dim RST As DAO.Recordset Dim db As DAO.Database Dim strSQL As String If Not IsNull(p_vccid) And Not IsNull(p_datum) Then Set db = CurrentDb 'strSQL = "SELECT P.CIJENA_IMPULSA FROM CRM_BIL_PARAMETRI AS P WHERE P.VCC_ID= " & CStr(p_vccid) & " AND P.DATUM_OD=(SELECT MAX(P1.DATUM_OD) FROM CRM_BIL_PARAMETRI P1 WHERE P1.V...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Tha...

Web resources about - connecting to an oracle database... errors... - comp.lang.java.databases

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...