copy data from one database to another

Hi

I am trying to go about copying data from one database to another. The
source database is SQL server, and the destination is an Oracle
database. While I can access both database' fine, and insert into the
oracle database fine, I am having trouble copying data from the SQL DB
to the Oracle DB. What I was initially trying to do was copy all the
required data into a resultSet, and then transfer this into the Oracle
DB. But i probablt cannot insert this block of data in the resultSet
directly into the Oracle db i supposed??? If anyone could suggest a
better more efficient way to transfer the data i would be grateful.
Please see below a snippet of the code for transferring the data. For
the moment I am only copying rows between a certain timestamp. Its
seems to run fine, and I am not getting an error, but when I check the
Oracle database, there is no data in it.

        //setup the drivers
        DriverManager.registerDriver(new sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver
());
        DriverManager.registerDriver(new
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());

        //connect to the MySQL database
        Connection connSQL = DriverManager.getConnection(
        "jdbc:odbc:Owenreagh", "username", "password");
        System.out.println("connected to SQL DB successfully");

        //connect to the Oracle database
        Connection connOra = DriverManager.getConnection(
            "jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:1521:DBname",       // URL
            "username",       // username
            "password"        // password
        );
        System.out.println("connected to Oracle DB successfully");

        Statement mySQLstat = connSQL.createStatement();
        Statement myOrastat = connOra.createStatement();

        ResultSet rsSQL = mySQLstat.executeQuery(
        "SELECT * FROM Owenreagh.dbo.T_WTG06_10MINDATA WHERE
((T_WTG06_10MINDATA.TTimeStamp>{ts '2009-01-01 00:10:00'}) AND
(T_WTG06_10MINDATA.TTimeStamp<{ts '2009-01-01 00:10:30'}))");

        ResultSetMetaData rsSQLmd = rsSQL.getMetaData();
        int numberOfColumns = rsSQLmd.getColumnCount();
	int max = numberOfColumns + 1;

        int index;
        while(rsSQL.next()){
            for(index = 1; index < max; index++) {
                myOrastat.executeQuery("INSERT INTO VESTASTURBINEDATA
VALUES" +
                                       rsSQL.getString
            }
        }
0
bazzer
6/12/2009 11:43:51 AM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:43:51 -0700, bazzer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to go about copying data from one database to another. The
> source database is SQL server, and the destination is an Oracle
> database. While I can access both database' fine, and insert into the
> oracle database fine, I am having trouble copying data from the SQL DB
> to the Oracle DB. What I was initially trying to do was copy all the
> required data into a resultSet, and then transfer this into the Oracle
> DB. But i probablt cannot insert this block of data in the resultSet
> directly into the Oracle db i supposed??? If anyone could suggest a
> better more efficient way to transfer the data i would be grateful.

Most databases can export and import tables as a CSV files. Your easiest
method may be to use these utilities. You may find it helpful to turn off
constraints, etc. on the Oracle DB until you've populated all the tables.

As you may need to do the transfer more than once, the time spent
scripting the export and import operations would be time well spent.

In any case your INSERT operation is (a) slow: use a prepared statement
to speed it up and (b) incorrect: you are running a separate INSERT for
each column in each row in the result set.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 04:43:51 -0700, bazzer wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > I am trying to go about copying data from one database to another. The
> > source database is SQL server, and the destination is an Oracle
> > database. While I can access both database' fine, and insert into the
> > oracle database fine, I am having trouble copying data from the SQL DB
> > to the Oracle DB. What I was initially trying to do was copy all the
> > required data into a resultSet, and then transfer this into the Oracle
> > DB. But i probablt cannot insert this block of data in the resultSet
> > directly into the Oracle db i supposed??? If anyone could suggest a
> > better more efficient way to transfer the data i would be grateful.
>
> Most databases can export and import tables as a CSV files. Your easiest
> method may be to use these utilities. You may find it helpful to turn off
> constraints, etc. on the Oracle DB until you've populated all the tables.
>
> As you may need to do the transfer more than once, the time spent
> scripting the export and import operations would be time well spent.
>
> In any case your INSERT operation is (a) slow: use a prepared statement
> to speed it up and (b) incorrect: you are running a separate INSERT for
> each column in each row in the result set.
>
> --
> martin@ =A0 | Martin Gregorie
> gregorie. | Essex, UK
> org =A0 =A0 =A0 |

Thanks Martin.

Ya unfortunately the data we want can vary, and so I cant import whole
tables, so the CSV method wont work. Unless theres a way to pull in
varying columns/rows using the CSV files im not aware of. Just thought
there might have been some way to do this i was overlooking. And yes
after a lot of messing around with the code I have the ResultSet
populating the Oracle DB with small amounts of data. Realised the
errors in my code. Just trying to test it with the whole lot now. And
thanks for the advice on the prepare statement. Just checked up about
it there and will def be using that.

Thanks again.

Barry
0
bazzer
6/12/2009 2:59:49 PM
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:59:49 -0700, bazzer wrote:

> Ya unfortunately the data we want can vary, and so I cant import whole
> tables, so the CSV method wont work. Unless theres a way to pull in
> varying columns/rows using the CSV files im not aware of.

You might want to consider writing a Java program that can select rows
for output to CSV files. That, plus shell or Perl scripting can be useful
for editing data in cases where the schemas don't entirely match.

> Just thought
> there might have been some way to do this i was overlooking.

Have you looked at the JDBC facilities for reading meta-data from a DBMS?
That may be useful if columns in equivalent tables in the two databases
don't correspond in number or order.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:59:49 -0700, bazzer wrote:
> > Ya unfortunately the data we want can vary, and so I cant import whole
> > tables, so the CSV method wont work. Unless theres a way to pull in
> > varying columns/rows using the CSV files im not aware of.
>
> You might want to consider writing a Java program that can select rows
> for output to CSV files. That, plus shell or Perl scripting can be useful
> for editing data in cases where the schemas don't entirely match.
>
> > Just thought
> > there might have been some way to do this i was overlooking.
>
> Have you looked at the JDBC facilities for reading meta-data from a DBMS?
> That may be useful if columns in equivalent tables in the two databases
> don't correspond in number or order.
>
> --
> martin@ =A0 | Martin Gregorie
> gregorie. | Essex, UK
> org =A0 =A0 =A0 |

Yep im using metadata aswell for a number of things. Seem to have it
working fine now transferring data. Do you know what sort of limits
there are with using ResultSets? Id like to stick with what iv got now
rather than looking at CSV files, since I have it working. But at the
moment im trying to figure out if I could hit any problems whereby the
ResultSet could have a limit on the amount of data it can take.

Thanks.

Barry
0
bazzer
6/15/2009 10:11:14 AM
bazzer, 15.06.2009 12:11:
> Yep im using metadata aswell for a number of things. Seem to have it
> working fine now transferring data. Do you know what sort of limits
> there are with using ResultSets? Id like to stick with what iv got now
> rather than looking at CSV files, since I have it working. But at the
> moment im trying to figure out if I could hit any problems whereby the
> ResultSet could have a limit on the amount of data it can take.

That depends on the driver.

Some drivers are caching the full result in memory before returning from executeQuery() (such as Microsoft's JDBC driver and jTDS) other drivers only load a row each time ResultSet.next() is called (such as the Oracle driver)

But the Microsoft driver and jTDS can be configured to not cache the full result set (selectMethod=cursor)

Thomas
0
Thomas
6/15/2009 10:39:25 AM
On Jun 15, 11:39=A0am, Thomas Kellerer <YQDHXVLMU...@spammotel.com>
wrote:

> That depends on the driver.
>
> Some drivers are caching the full result in memory before returning from =
executeQuery() (such as Microsoft's JDBC driver and jTDS) other drivers onl=
y load a row each time ResultSet.next() is called (such as the Oracle drive=
r)

> But the Microsoft driver and jTDS can be configured to not cache the full=
 result set (selectMethod=3Dcursor)

> Thomas

Thats great thanks Thomas!

Barry
0
bazzer
6/15/2009 11:23:35 AM
On Friday, June 12, 2009 5:13:51 PM UTC+5:30, bazzer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to go about copying data from one database to another. The
> source database is SQL server, and the destination is an Oracle
> database. While I can access both database' fine, and insert into the
> oracle database fine, I am having trouble copying data from the SQL DB
> to the Oracle DB. What I was initially trying to do was copy all the
> required data into a resultSet, and then transfer this into the Oracle
> DB. But i probablt cannot insert this block of data in the resultSet
> directly into the Oracle db i supposed??? If anyone could suggest a
> better more efficient way to transfer the data i would be grateful.
> Please see below a snippet of the code for transferring the data. For
> the moment I am only copying rows between a certain timestamp. Its
> seems to run fine, and I am not getting an error, but when I check the
> Oracle database, there is no data in it.
>
>         //setup the drivers
>         DriverManager.registerDriver(new sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver
> ());
>         DriverManager.registerDriver(new
> oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());
>
>         //connect to the MySQL database
>         Connection connSQL = DriverManager.getConnection(
>         "jdbc:odbc:Owenreagh", "username", "password");
>         System.out.println("connected to SQL DB successfully");
>
>         //connect to the Oracle database
>         Connection connOra = DriverManager.getConnection(
>             "jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:1521:DBname",       // URL
>             "username",       // username
>             "password"        // password
>         );
>         System.out.println("connected to Oracle DB successfully");
>
>         Statement mySQLstat = connSQL.createStatement();
>         Statement myOrastat = connOra.createStatement();
>
>         ResultSet rsSQL = mySQLstat.executeQuery(
>         "SELECT * FROM Owenreagh.dbo.T_WTG06_10MINDATA WHERE
> ((T_WTG06_10MINDATA.TTimeStamp>{ts '2009-01-01 00:10:00'}) AND
> (T_WTG06_10MINDATA.TTimeStamp<{ts '2009-01-01 00:10:30'}))");
>
>         ResultSetMetaData rsSQLmd = rsSQL.getMetaData();
>         int numberOfColumns = rsSQLmd.getColumnCount();
> 	int max = numberOfColumns + 1;
>
>         int index;
>         while(rsSQL.next()){
>             for(index = 1; index < max; index++) {
>                 myOrastat.executeQuery("INSERT INTO VESTASTURBINEDATA
> VALUES" +
>                                        rsSQL.getString
>             }
>         }

0
Sathish
8/13/2012 6:43:23 AM
Sathish@myc2s.com wrote:
> bazzer wrote:

Is this a repost?

>> I am trying to go about copying data from one database to another. The
>> source database is SQL server, and the destination is an Oracle
>> database. While I can access both database' fine, and insert into the
>> oracle database fine, I am having trouble copying data from the SQL DB
>> to the Oracle DB. What I was initially trying to do was copy all the
>> required data into a resultSet, and then transfer this into the Oracle
>> DB. But i probablt cannot insert this block of data in the resultSet
>> directly into the Oracle db i supposed??? If anyone could suggest a
>> better more efficient way to transfer the data i would be grateful.
>> Please see below a snippet of the code for transferring the data. For
>> the moment I am only copying rows between a certain timestamp. Its
>> seems to run fine, and I am not getting an error, but when I check the
>> Oracle database, there is no data in it.

Using the source database's tools, export the source data to a format
recognized by both RDBMSes, such as certain CSV formats. Using the destination
database's tools, import the data from that format.

If you must use Java, use 'PreparedStatement'. You might accidentally be
performing a random SQL injection attack on yourself with the code you posted.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

>If anyone could suggest a
>> better more efficient way to transfer the data i would be grateful.

Using your strategy, I think you will do best if your intermediate
form an a Java object with a field for each record.

Another way to do it is to use the database export utility to produce
some sort of CSV file, then import it.  If the files are not 100%
compatible use http://mindprod.com/products1.html#CSV
to convert the file.  You will need one file per table.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light,
but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
~ Max Planck 1858-04-23 1947-10-04

0
Roedy

copying data from one database to another database
I want to copy data from our production database to the development database. I want to move only the data. I do not need the table structure, constrains or anything else. I think I can use the db2move command to export out all the data like the following: db2move dbname export -tc schema1 When I load the data into our development database, will it recreate the tables? My problem is that I do not want to recreate the structure. I want to make sure that I am copying over only the data. Is db2move the best utility to move the data between two databases without making any stru...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Copy data from one oracle database to another
Hello, I have 2 oracle instance. I need to copy approx 80-90 thousand records from one oracle database to another on a daily basis. The table structure is different for both the database. But the mapping for column from a table in database1 to column in database2 is going to remain constant. The databases are in the same network but may be on different machines. So I need to know what is the fastest and reliable way do that. The one way I can think is about Oracle Link between database. But I have never done this before and not sure how efficient is this ? Can anyone suggest or advise? Thanks in Advance. Kapil Kapil wrote: > Hello, > > I have 2 oracle instance. I need to copy approx 80-90 thousand records > from one oracle database to another on a daily basis. The table > structure is different for both the database. But the mapping for > column from a table in database1 to column in database2 is going to > remain constant. > The databases are in the same network but may be on different machines. > So I need to know what is the fastest and reliable way do that. > > The one way I can think is about Oracle Link between database. But I > have never done this before and not sure how efficient is this ? > > Can anyone suggest or advise? > Thanks in Advance. > > Kapil If 10g use Change Data Capture or write an external table. You can find demos of both in Morgan's Library at www....

copying data and structure from one database to another
Hi all! I have an application that needs to copy the database structure from one database to another without using the "Generate SQL Script" function in Enterprise Manager. I'd like to do this from within a stored procedure. Can someone recommend the best approach for this? I've seen references to using SQL-DMO from a stored procedure using the sp_OA* procs in other postings to this group but was wondering if there was an easier way? Can I use bcp and then use xp_cmdshell from within my stored procedure? It's not clear to me from the documentation whether bcp copies bot...

Copy data from one database instance to another on the same server
I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database that is on the same server. What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or must I use an external tool? Thanks CJM "CJM" <cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:4qu2buFoeuvbU1@individual.net... >I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live >database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database >that is on the same server. > ...

How to copy records from one database to another one ?
Hi, I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or a group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very time-consuming. Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need to consolidate the data. Thanks in advance for your help. Jesus Gonzalez (jesgon@belgacom.net) * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>: > Hi, > > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figu...

How to copy Database Structure from one db to another w/o affecting data
Is there a way to copy the structure from one database to another without affecting the actual data? For example, I added new fields and stored procedures to a db in my development environment. There are a lot of them. I now want to make the same changes to my production environment db but don't want to affect the data. Only the fields, stored procs & constraints and stuff pertaining to the structure of the db should be changed. Does anyone know of a program that can do this or can this be done in MS SQL Enterprise Manager. Any help would be appreciated. 7078895 <spamproof2...

Newbie Question: Copying A Record's Data From Multiple Tables In One Database to Another
Greetings Access Users, I have a database that has a record that I wish to copy from one database to another. The table structures in the two databases are identical. Here's the issue: the record's data is broken up into about 10 related tables. Is there any hints or tips on the best way of writing a query or some other solution to acheive this copy? I have about 70 records to copy from one database to another, and if I have to manually re-enter the data, it would take days. Thanks a million in advance, any advice that solves this matter would be a life saver! Kevin "...

Using Objects from one database in another database
I've looked around here to see if this can be done, but haven't found the answer. Here is what I want to do... I have a two databases -- One for Sales and one for Operations. These are used by two groups of people with some obvious overlap (like the boss, for example). Some of the data is the same, so I'm using only one backend database file to hold the data. However, I want to have one piece (projects) from the Operations database to also be used in the sales database. The projects piece of it consists of several forms, subforms, reports, queries, code, etc. To cut down on ...

Appending data to a master database from another database
How can I, without using Replication technology, append a table in my master database from data in another database? I have several field offices with sales data that I want, on demand, to append up to my home office Master database... any ideas? Thanks!!!! Dav On 17 Nov 2006 08:02:28 -0800, "Parasyke" <kress1963nov22@yahoo.com> wrote: Attach tables from the Child database to the Master, and run Append queries. Or forego the table attachments and use the IN clause to specify the Child database. Off the top of my head: insert into MyTable select * from MyTable IN 'c...

adding a text string to data from one field in one database to another
Microsoft access 2 tables table "data main" contains a field called "code" table "ddw1" is created from a make table query of "data main" Goal- the data in "code" field in needs to be inserted into a standard web address in the table (the filed name is link) in ddw1 Example address --- "http://www.wedsite.com/[code].html" to get this to work , what I did I created a third table called webaddress using make table query with only the field "code" from "data main" I then went to the table and added field...

copy from one database to another,
Is there simple code to copy a table from one database to another. The code I have now, does a get and then a insert for every record. O(2*n) operation. I am using jdbc(v2.0?) Is there a better more efficient way. what makes you think you can do better than O2 ? me thinks you can't "bigbinc" <bigbinc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d1b33313.0311041251.1dee21e0@posting.google.com... > Is there simple code to copy a table from one database to another. > > The code I have now, does a get and then a insert for every record. > > O(2*n) o...

Using Objects from one database in another database #2
I've looked around here to see if this can be done, but haven't found the answer. Here is what I want to do... I have a two databases -- One for Sales and one for Operations. These are used by two groups of people with some obvious overlap (like the boss, for example). Some of the data is the same, so I'm using only one backend database file to hold the data. However, I want to have one piece (projects) from the Operations database to also be used in the sales database. The projects piece of it consists of several forms, subforms, reports, queries, code, etc. To cut down on ...

To retrive a table from one database to and another database(same table)
hi i have emp table in one database , how to retrieve same table another database through query analizer give code ,,, Hi, use the three part notation: SELECT * FROM database.owner.Objectname (replace owner by schema for SQL2k5) HTH, Jens Suessmeyer. --- http://www.sqlserver2005.de --- Hi surya While the first database is "Current" as would result from: Use FirstDatabaseName select * from OtherDatabaseName..Emp -- -Dick Christoph "surya" <suryaitha@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142588469.061525.268810@u72g2000cwu.googlegr...

copying a database from one machine to another
Hello, We migrating from a 300G machine to one with 2.2T in RAID5. Oracle10g has been installed on the new machine. What is the best way to copy/clone the databases in old machine to the new one ? Thx missoula wrote: > Hello, > > We migrating from a 300G machine to one with 2.2T in RAID5. > > Oracle10g has been installed on the new machine. > > What is the best way to copy/clone the databases in old machine to the > new one ? > > Thx Transportable tablespaces is one way. But RAID5? Sure hope you aren't the one who is going to lose evenings and week...

Web resources about - copy data from one database to another - comp.lang.java.databases

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...

8 Reasons to Consider Open-Source Databases for Your Business
Historically, costly commercial database systems dominated the data management landscape. But open-source database system adoption is growing ...