Java Database connection pooling for standalone server

Hi,

I am new to java and db connection pooling. I tried using Apache's
DBCP for connection pool for my web application.  Was trying to do
similar thing for a standalone server (not a web based).  I tried
using DBCP but i am getting strange results.  In my string variables,
i am getting "???" as output whereas for int variables i am getting
correct values when i m trying to read from database.

Here is the snippet code:

I have a package "com.engine".  In this package,
1. I am having EngineDBConnection which is responsible to pool
connections.
2. "EngineDBManager" class takes care of process user's queries and
calls required procedures and db constructs
3. "Test" is the actual code which runs and gets required fields and
displays to client.

package com.engine;

import org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource;
import javax.sql.DataSource;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.SQLException;

public class EngineDBConnection {

	private static String dbURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:user/pwd@localhost:
1521:orcl";
	static DataSource dataSource = null;
	public static void createDataSource(){
		// create db connection in constructor
		dataSource = setupDataSource(dbURL);
  	}

	public static Connection getConnection() {
		Connection conn = null;
		try {
			if (dataSource != null) {
				conn = dataSource.getConnection();
			} else {
				return null;
			}

		} catch (Exception e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		}
		return conn;
	}

	public static DataSource setupDataSource(String connectURI) {
		BasicDataSource ds = new BasicDataSource();
		System.out.println("coming in setupdatasource");
		ds.setDriverClassName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
		ds.setUsername("user");
		ds.setPassword("pwd");
		ds.setUrl(connectURI);
		return ds;
	}

	public static void shutdownDataSource(DataSource ds) throws
SQLException {
		BasicDataSource bds = (BasicDataSource) ds;
		bds.close();
	}
}

-------------------------
package com.engine;
import java.sql.CallableStatement;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.Types;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import oracle.sql.STRUCT;

import com.dbobjs.DInfo;

public class EngineDBManager {

	public static List<DInfo> getDInfo(){
		   Connection conn = null;
		   conn = EngineDBConnection.getConnection();
		   CallableStatement cst = null;
		   List<DInfo> dList = null;

		   int result = -9;
		   try{
			    cst = conn.prepareCall("begin pkg_admin.p_get_info(?,?);
end;");
			    cst.registerOutParameter(1, Types.ARRAY, "VARRAY_DINFO");
  			    cst.registerOutParameter(2, Types.INTEGER);
  			    cst.execute();
			    result = cst.getInt(2);
  			    if (result != 0) {
					return null;
			    }

				Object structs[] = (Object[])(cst.getArray(1).getArray());
				dList = new ArrayList<DInfo>(structs.length);

	            for (int i = 0; i < structs.length; i++) {
	            	DInfo map = (DInfo)DInfo.readStruct((STRUCT)structs[i]);
	            	dList.add(map);
	            }
	            cst.close();
	            conn.close();
		   }catch (Exception e) {
				 e.printStackTrace();
		   }
		   return dList;
		}
}

-------------------------------
package com.engine;

import java.sql.CallableStatement;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.Types;
import java.util.List;

import com.dbobjs.DInfo;
public class Test {

   public Test(){
	   EngineDBConnection.createDataSource();
   }

   public static void main(String args[]){
  	   Test t1 = new Test();

	   List <DInfo> dList = EngineDBManager.getDInfo();

	   DInfo d = null;
	   if (dList == null){
	      System.out.println("DInfo is null");
	   }else{
		   for (int i=0;i < dList.size(); i++){
			     d = (DInfo) dList.get(i);
			     System.out.println("Id=" + d.getDID() + " Desc=" +
dist.getDDesc());
		   }
	   }

}

when I am printing output in "Test" class, I am getting correct Id but
Desc is giving me "???".  I tried executing oracle procedure from
oracle and it is working perfectly fine.  Am i missing something
here?  Please help.
0
Yogi
11/16/2008 1:00:21 PM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

Yogi wrote:

> I am new to java and db connection pooling. I tried using Apache's
> DBCP for connection pool for my web application.  Was trying to do
> similar thing for a standalone server (not a web based).  I tried
> using DBCP but i am getting strange results.  In my string variables,
> i am getting "???" as output whereas for int variables i am getting
> correct values when i m trying to read from database.

Make sure you use the correct encoding when connecting to the databse,
for example, UTF-8. Refer to the manual of the database and JDBC driver
for specifics.
0
Sabine
11/17/2008 9:30:46 AM
On Nov 17, 2:30=A0pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
wrote:
> Yogi wrote:
> > I am new to java and db connection pooling. I tried using Apache's
> > DBCP for connection pool for my web application. =A0Was trying to do
> > similar thing for a standalone server (not a web based). =A0I tried
> > using DBCP but i am getting strange results. =A0In my string variables,
> > i am getting "???" as output whereas for int variables i am getting
> > correct values when i m trying to read from database.
>
> Make sure you use the correct encoding when connecting to the databse,
> for example, UTF-8. Refer to the manual of the database and JDBC driver
> for specifics.

Thanks Sabine for your reply.  I understand your point. But same DB
and jdbc driver is working fine when i m hitting this db from web
based application.  There I am getting correct values.  Anything
specific to non-web based servers?
0
Yogi
11/17/2008 9:44:41 AM
On Nov 17, 5:30=A0pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
wrote:
> Yogi wrote:
> > On Nov 17, 2:30 pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Make sure you use the correct encoding when connecting to the databse=
,
> > > for example, UTF-8. Refer to the manual of the database and JDBC driv=
er
> > > for specifics.
>
> > Thanks Sabine for your reply. =A0I understand your point. But same DB
> > and jdbc driver is working fine when i m hitting this db from web
> > based application. =A0There I am getting correct values. =A0Anything
> > specific to non-web based servers?
>
> This could be only a display problem then - on your other environment
> you don't have the correct locales installed.
>
> You'll need to be more specific as to where and how you see the "???" in
> string values obtained from DB.
>
> If you write them into a file, and open that with something that can't
> display multi-byte characters, you might get question marks.

I am using Eclipse to execute my program and getting "???" in
Eclipse's console.  One of my friend suggested to check for dependent
jars while using Apache's DBCP.  But what I am bothered about is, if
dependent jars are not available, it should not give me correct values
for integer placeholders as well.  Any comments?
0
Yogi
11/17/2008 12:45:35 PM
On Nov 17, 5:45=A0pm, Yogi <yogeshkagra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 5:30=A0pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
> wrote:
>

> > Yogi wrote:

> > > Thanks Sabine for your reply. =A0I understand your point. But same DB
> > > and jdbc driver is working fine when i m hitting this db from web
> > > based application. =A0There I am getting correct values. =A0Anything
> > > specific to non-web based servers?
>
> > This could be only a display problem then - on your other environment
> > you don't have the correct locales installed.
>
> > You'll need to be more specific as to where and how you see the "???" i=
> > string values obtained from DB.
>
> > If you write them into a file, and open that with something that can't
> > display multi-byte characters, you might get question marks.
>
> I am using Eclipse to execute my program and getting "???" in
> Eclipse's console. =A0One of my friend suggested to check for dependent
> jars while using Apache's DBCP. =A0But what I am bothered about is, if
> dependent jars are not available, it should not give me correct values
> for integer placeholders as well. =A0Any comments?

I am using Eclipse v3.4
0
Yogi
11/17/2008 12:46:33 PM
Yogi wrote:

> On Nov 17, 5:30 pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
> wrote:
> > Yogi wrote:

> > This could be only a display problem then - on your other environment
> > you don't have the correct locales installed.
> >

> I am using Eclipse to execute my program and getting "???" in
> Eclipse's console.  One of my friend suggested to check for dependent
> jars while using Apache's DBCP.  But what I am bothered about is, if
> dependent jars are not available, it should not give me correct values
> for integer placeholders as well.  Any comments?

If you were missing libraries, you would get an Exception telling you
so.

Ok, from the Javadocs [0]:

"public void print(String s)
Prints a string. If the argument is null then the string "null" is
printed. Otherwise, the string's characters are converted into bytes
according to the platform's default character encoding, and these bytes
are written in exactly the manner of the write(int) method.

Parameters:
s - The String to be printed"

Instead of using System.out.println, use a logging facility?
Or set your environments default character encoding to UTF-8 [1]?

[0]
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/PrintStream.html#print(java.lang.String)>

[1] <http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/aspectj-users/msg07331.html>

0
Sabine
11/17/2008 12:57:06 PM
On Nov 17, 5:57=A0pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
wrote:
> Yogi wrote:
> > On Nov 17, 5:30 pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
> > wrote:

> > > This could be only a display problem then - on your other environment
> > > you don't have the correct locales installed.
>
> > I am using Eclipse to execute my program and getting "???" in
> > Eclipse's console. =A0One of my friend suggested to check for dependent
> > jars while using Apache's DBCP. =A0But what I am bothered about is, if
> > dependent jars are not available, it should not give me correct values
> > for integer placeholders as well. =A0Any comments?
>
> If you were missing libraries, you would get an Exception telling you
> so.
>
> Ok, from the Javadocs [0]:
>
> "public void print(String s)
> Prints a string. If the argument is null then the string "null" is
> printed. Otherwise, the string's characters are converted into bytes
> according to the platform's default character encoding, and these bytes
> are written in exactly the manner of the write(int) method.
>
> Parameters:
> s - The String to be printed"
>
> Instead of using System.out.println, use a logging facility?
> Or set your environments default character encoding to UTF-8 [1]?
>
> [0]
> <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/PrintStream.html#print(...=
)>

> [1] <http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/aspectj-users/msg07331.html>

Ok. This might be one of the issues.  I will check your solutions and
will update you. Thanks a ton for your inputs. :)
0
Yogi
11/17/2008 1:02:20 PM
On Nov 17, 6:02=A0pm, Yogi <yogeshkagra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 5:57=A0pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
> wrote:
>

> > Yogi wrote:

C driver

> > > I am using Eclipse to execute my program and getting "???" in
> > > Eclipse's console. =A0One of my friend suggested to check for depende=
nt
> > > jars while using Apache's DBCP. =A0But what I am bothered about is, i=
> > > dependent jars are not available, it should not give me correct value=
> > > for integer placeholders as well. =A0Any comments?
>
> > If you were missing libraries, you would get an Exception telling you
> > so.
>
> > Ok, from the Javadocs [0]:
>
> > "public void print(String s)
> > Prints a string. If the argument is null then the string "null" is
> > printed. Otherwise, the string's characters are converted into bytes
> > according to the platform's default character encoding, and these bytes
> > are written in exactly the manner of the write(int) method.
>
> > Parameters:
> > s - The String to be printed"
>
> > Instead of using System.out.println, use a logging facility?
> > Or set your environments default character encoding to UTF-8 [1]?
>
> > [0]
> > <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/PrintStream.html#print(.=
...)>

> > [1] <http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/aspectj-users/msg07331.html>
>
> Ok. This might be one of the issues. =A0I will check your solutions and
> will update you. Thanks a ton for your inputs. :)

Still no progress.  Here is how I modified my Test class:
--------------
   public static void main(String[] args){
  	   Test t1 =3D new Test();

	   List <DInfo> dList =3D EngineDBManager.getDInfo();
	   BufferedWriter out=3Dnull;
	   try {
  	       out =3D new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter("c:\\test.out"));
	   }catch(Exception e){
		  System.out.println("Not able to open file for writing");
	   }

	   OutputStreamWriter out1 =3D new OutputStreamWriter(new
ByteArrayOutputStream());
	   System.out.println("Printing Encoding type here:" +
out1.getEncoding());

	   DInfo d =3D null;
	   if (dList =3D=3D null){
	      System.out.println("DInfo is null");
	   }else{
		   for (int i=3D0;i < dList.size(); i++){
			     d =3D (DInfo) dList.get(i);
			     System.out.println("Id=3D" + d.getDID() + " Desc=3D" + d.getDDesc
());
			     try{
			        out.write("\nId=3D"+ d.getDID() + " Desc=3D" + d.getDDesc());
			     }catch(Exception e){
			    	System.out.println("error writing to file for=3D" +
dist.getDistrictID());
			     }
		   }
	   }
	   try{
	      out.close();
	   }catch(Exception e){

	   }

   }
--------------------
I am getting "???" description.  I changed encoding of Eclipse to UTF8.
0
Yogi
11/17/2008 3:17:07 PM
On Nov 17, 8:17=A0pm, Yogi <yogeshkagra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > Instead of using System.out.println, use a logging facility?
> > > Or set your environments default character encoding to UTF-8 [1]?
>
> > > [0]
> > > <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/PrintStream.html#print=
(...)>

> > > [1] <http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/aspectj-users/msg07331.html=
>

> > Ok. This might be one of the issues. =A0I will check your solutions and
> > will update you. Thanks a ton for your inputs. :)
>
> Still no progress. =A0Here is how I modified my Test class:
> --------------
> =A0 =A0public static void main(String[] args){
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Test t1 =3D new Test();
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0List <DInfo> dList =3D EngineDBManager.getDInfo();
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0BufferedWriter out=3Dnull;
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0try {
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0out =3D new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(=
"c:\\test.out"));
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}catch(Exception e){
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 System.out.println("Not able to open =
file for writing");
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0OutputStreamWriter out1 =3D new OutputStreamWriter=
(new
> ByteArrayOutputStream());
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0System.out.println("Printing Encoding type here:" =
+
> out1.getEncoding());
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0DInfo d =3D null;
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0if (dList =3D=3D null){
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 System.out.println("DInfo is null");
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}else{
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0for (int i=3D0;i < dList.size(); i=
++){
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0d =3D (DInfo) =
dList.get(i);
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0System.out.pri=
ntln("Id=3D" + d.getDID() + " Desc=3D" + d.getDDesc
> ());
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0try{
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 out.write=
("\nId=3D"+ d.getDID() + " Desc=3D" + d.getDDesc());
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}catch(Excepti=
on e){
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 System.ou=
t.println("error writing to file for=3D" +
> dist.getDistrictID());
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0try{
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 out.close();
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}catch(Exception e){
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
>
> =A0 =A0}
> --------------------
> I am getting "???" description. =A0I changed encoding of Eclipse to UTF8.

I tried all possible ways but still no success.  Any setting required
in eclipse or at db level?  Any suggestions?
0
Yogi
11/21/2008 2:53:44 PM
On Nov 21, 7:53=A0pm, Yogi <yogeshkagra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}catch(Excep=
tion e){
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 System.=
out.println("error writing to file for=3D" +
> > dist.getDistrictID());
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0try{
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 out.close();
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}catch(Exception e){
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
>
> > =A0 =A0}
> > --------------------
> > I am getting "???" description. =A0I changed encoding of Eclipse to UTF=
8.

> I tried all possible ways but still no success. =A0Any setting required
> in eclipse or at db level? =A0Any suggestions?

Hi Guys,
got it working.  Its my stupidity that I did not include
"nls_classes12.jar" in my classpath.  After doing that it is working
perfectly fine.
If you have Oracle installed, you will get this jar from $ORACLE_HOME/
jdbc/lib path. Hope this helps. :)
0
Yogi
11/21/2008 3:15:02 PM
Yogi wrote:

> On Nov 21, 7:53 pm, Yogi <yogeshkagra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> got it working.  Its my stupidity that I did not include
> "nls classes12.jar" in my classpath.  After doing that it is working
> perfectly fine.
> If you have Oracle installed, you will get this jar from $ORACLE HOME/
> jdbc/lib path. Hope this helps. :)

Ah, great! :)

Odd that that didn't produce an error. I'm glad you worked it out.
0
Sabine
11/24/2008 9:44:23 AM
  To: comp.lang.java.databases
Yogi wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2:30 pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <no.s...@here.invalid>
> wrote:
> > Yogi wrote:
> > > I am new to java and db connection pooling. I tried using Apache's
> > > DBCP for connection pool for my web application.  Was trying to do
> > > similar thing for a standalone server (not a web based).  I tried
> > > using DBCP but i am getting strange results.  In my string variables,
> > > i am getting "???" as output whereas for int variables i am getting
> > > correct values when i m trying to read from database.
> >
> > Make sure you use the correct encoding when connecting to the databse,
> > for example, UTF-8. Refer to the manual of the database and JDBC driver
> > for specifics.
>
> Thanks Sabine for your reply.  I understand your point. But same DB
> and jdbc driver is working fine when i m hitting this db from web
> based application.  There I am getting correct values.  Anything
> specific to non-web based servers?

This could be only a display problem then - on your other environment
you don't have the correct locales installed.

You'll need to be more specific as to where and how you see the "???" in
string values obtained from DB.

If you write them into a file, and open that with something that can't
display multi-byte characters, you might get question marks.

---
 * Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- whitehouse.hulds.com --- check it out free usenet!
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
Sabine

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Dear all, While trying to load a big table, I received the following error. Is there any way to circumvent this problem without doing additional programming? Thanks you help, Kirill Andreev ??? Java exception occurred: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source) at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source) at java.util.Vector.ensureCapacityHelper(Unknown Source) at java.util.Vector.addElement(Unknown Source) at com.mathworks.toolbox.database.fetchTheData.dataFetch(fetchTheData.java: 740) Error in ==> cursor....

Java Applets connecting to Databases: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission ... resolve)
Hi folks,I'm new about developing Java applets and I need some help.I'm developing a Web Application based on JSPs and Tomcat in Netbeans.I've also developed a Java Applet which its package has some classes.This Applet connects to a Sybase Database (JConnect) in order to querysome information. It works fine when I run the Applet Class atNetbeans.The Jar containing this Applet (and the Jar supporting the DB driver)is embedded into a JSP of my Web Application through JSP Plugin tag.When I call for this JSP (where the Applet is embedded) I get thiserror (at the Client Java Console):ja...

SN#10373 Tutorial on Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Database Access
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 65 Issue 2 2003-07-07 Article 10373 from section "Java Technology" "Keeping Simple Things Simple" The tutorial on Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) API Database Access by Maydene Fisher covers the basics of the API features of version 2.0. Fisher states, "The JDBC API was designed to keep simple things simple. This means that the JDBC API makes everyday database tasks, like simple SELECT statements, very easy." This trail (section in the tutorial) is divided i...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each secti...

DBPool 5.0 released : Java database connection pooling
Flashes of lightening pierce the dark clouded sky, and rumbling thunder echoes around the labyrithine corridors of the snaq.net laboratory complex. On command the trust lab assistant throws the switch on the cold damp wall; flashes of electricity arc around the room, crackling and sizzling. Whisps of smoke creep up from the plinth in the centre of the room, and behold...the tiniest of movements. The long nights have finally come to an end; at last all can be revealed...a new creation! DBPool 5.0 is finally ready to see the light of day. This new major release incorporates numerous stability improvements, includes additional functionality, and is thoroughly recommended for all those either currently using a previous release, or those looking for a connection pooling solution. This version requires Java 1.4+ and JDBC 3.0 or greater, and includes some backward-incompatible changes for those not just using the pool manager. Changes in this release include: Overhaul of logging mechanism; now uses Apache Commons Logging, and recommend to use with Apache log4j. Changes to pooling logic, including: Addition of minpool property (specifies minimim target pool size) Changed from maxconn to maxsize (for codebase consistency). Significant changes to thread-safety, improving robustness of library. Changed event listener methods to fully asynchronous dispatch mechanism. Simplification of ConnectionPoolManager release logic (no longer tracks client co...

java.lang.NullPointerException

Oracle JDBC connect problems-ojdbc6.jar using Native Java commands OK from Matlab,but database toolbox not working -pls help with database toolbox configuration
Hi, I am having some trouble using oracle and jdbc drivers. When I use the native java commands it works from Matlab and I can connect to a database, here is how I do this: javaaddpath('T:\tmp\ojdbc6.jar') aa = oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource() aa.setDriverType('thin') aa.setNetworkProtocol('tcp') aa.setDatabaseName('TESTDB') aa.setServerName('192.0.0.1') aa.setPortNumber(1521) aa.setUser('testuser') aa.setPassword('testpassword') aa.setServiceName('TESTING') conn = aa.getConnection() stmt = conn.createState...

java.lang.NoSuchMethodException when trying to connect to DB2 with a connection pool
Hi, I've set up a DB2 8 database and I'm trying to connect to it with Sun ONE webserver 6.1 on AIX 5.2. When I test the webapp I get "auth failed server does not support this method/mechanism". After looking into it I found out the server only allows "Username only authentication" After adding "SecurityMechanism" to the Connection Pool parameters I get java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2SimpleDataSource.setSecurityMechanism(boolean). I'm not sure why it's sending the 4 as a boolean rather than as an int or short. ...

Help with Java Database Connectivity
Hey guys(or girls), I was wondering if i could get some help with Connecting to my Microsoft SQL server which is on my laptop. I have my program written and it compiles but im having problems with my connection to my database, or more accurately my Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC. I have set my classpath so im not really sure what my problem is. My error is somewhere within this code. String url = "jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://local:1433;User=me;Password=tom"; connection = DriverManager.getConnection(url,User,Password); Class.forName("com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLS...

Connecting to a MySQL Database in Java
Hi all. I am trying to connect to a MySQL Server running locally on my machine. I have written a program before using MySQL which worked fine. I have copied over the MySQL.library program from the program that I have written before and adding the details into the project that I am doing now. I have tested the old program and that connects to the MySQL Database fine. However on the new program which uses the same MySQL connector and the same logon details to the MySQL Server except it keeps on coming up with the following error and I can't see why. The error message is java.sql.SQLException...

Java client connected to non-Java server problems
I'm trying to connect a java client application to a chat server i wrote in vb. i know the server works, and i know the client works(when used with a java server), but when i use the vb server and the java client, the client doesn't get the data sent from the server. But then when i send back from the client to the server, then what i sent from the server shows up, so it's like the buffer isn't getting read or flushed when i send from the server. What is the best approach i should take on this? illusionistx@gmail.com (Illusionistx) wrote in message news:<cbfebe80.0411091822...

Java Web Server 6.1 & Pooled SQL Server 2000 JDBC Connections
If anyone can shed some light on this problem I would greatly appreciate it. I am unsuccessfully trying to use a database connnection retrieved from a pool configured using Java System Web Server 6.1 with the SQL Server 2000 JDBC Driver. The background: 1. I have downloaded the SQL Server 2000 JDBC Driver and installed it on the web server. 2. I used the Administration GUI to add the .jars(namely msbase.jar, msutil.jar, and mssqlserver.jar), to the classpath. 3. Upon creating a simple JSP to access connection metadata using the direct connect method, ie., Class.forName( com.m...

Java Web Server 6.1 & Pooled SQL Server 2000 JDBC Connections
If anyone can shed some light on this problem I would greatly appreciate it. I am unsuccessfully trying to use a database connnection retrieved from a pool configured using Java System Web Server 6.1 with the SQL Server 2000 JDBC Driver. The background: 1. I have downloaded the SQL Server 2000 JDBC Driver and installed it on the web server. 2. I used the Administration GUI to add the .jars(namely msbase.jar, msutil.jar, and mssqlserver.jar), to the classpath. 3. Upon creating a simple JSP to access connection metadata using the direct connect method, ie., Class.forName( com.m...

Java in Java
Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a desktop Java app? -- Dirk http://www.transcendence.me.uk/ - Transcendence UK http://www.theconsensus.org/ - A UK political party http://www.onetribe.me.uk/wordpress/?cat=5 - Our podcasts on weird stuff Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote: > Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a > desktop Java app? > Quite likely, but you won't necessarily get the same security model, unless you were careful about it. -- Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/&g...

EMC Job Vacancy--Database developer-Linux-Java-Database
General summary: EMC, a worldwide leader in information infrastructure, is seeking a senior software engineer. You will be working on an R&D initiative to explore new system architecture and programming models in enterprise data cloud. The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience designing, developing and delivering database and/or cloud management system software. We are looking for a passionate and brilliant individual to join our dynamic world-class team. The candidate will play an important role in this project that will revolutionize the entire data warehousing industr...

Web resources about - Java Database connection pooling for standalone server - comp.lang.java.databases

Alec Baldwin, Tommy Hilfiger and a Designer With a ‘Downton’ Connection
It was something of a British invasion at Michael’s today with plenty of posh folks (Majesty magazine EIC Ingrid Seward , the always dashing ...

Igniting Brand Growth Via Emotional Connections
Nobel Prize winning research in neuroscience and behavioral economics proves that all humans are irrational, emotional creatures. Both marketers ...

4G Connections Hit One Billion as Mobile Broadband Momentum Extends to the Developing World
The number of 4G mobile connections worldwide has surpassed the one billion mark and is on track to account for a third of all mobile connections ...

Deadpool Really Did Have A Major Connection To Marvel And The Avengers, Here's How
The Deadpool movie was full of a ton of Marvel related easter eggs, literally more than we could count. Most of them were obvious, a few were ...

Zika virus-microcephaly connection hunted in Brazil - CNN.com
Is the Zika virus linked to microcephaly? The CDC and Brazilian health officials are leading the first-ever large scale investigation to find ...

Larch Corrections Center’s father-daughter dance a time for connection
YACOLT Fathers wearing ties, suspenders and suit jackets wandered around the gymnasium, anxiously awaiting their daughters' arrival. As the girls ...

Smart city tech shows complex connections between data and sensors
... MWC, Parkeon and Sierra Wireless announced that Sierra Wireless AirPrime HL Series embedded modules will be used to enable cellular connections ...