JDBC+Linux -> MS Access/MS SQL??

I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database,
however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and
Linux.
I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,....
However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to
configure.
Do anyone can give me a solution?

Thanks
Vincent
0
vincenthkh
8/7/2003 1:46:09 AM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

You can try the jTDS driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtds), performs
really good. Or you can buy some other jdbc driver for MS SQL Server.

/Klas

"Vincent Ho" <vincenthkh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database,
> however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and
> Linux.
> I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,....
> However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to
> configure.
> Do anyone can give me a solution?
>
> Thanks
> Vincent

0
Klas
8/7/2003 8:48:34 AM
Vincent Ho wrote:
> I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database,
> however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and
> Linux.
> I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,....
> However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to
> configure.
> Do anyone can give me a solution?
>
> Thanks
> Vincent

Accessing SQL server from a remote linux client thru' JDBC works just
fine. Even MS has a JDBC driver that can do the job for free (search for
jdbc at msdn), albeit not very good. No need to use any ODBC stuff for
that. Access is another story ... I only know enough about Access to
avoid it.

--
jonmartin.solaas@mail.link.no

0
Jon

How to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL Database from JSP on Linux?
I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and Linux. I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to configure. Do anyone can give me a solution? Thanks Vincent ...

access MS SQL/ACCESS from linux?
Hello all, We need to access MS SQL 2000 database from RHEL platforms. I've tested unixODBC and Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge (under trial license). They work together pretty well. Unfortunately Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge is not a free solution. Anybody have any experiences with other ODBC solutions that can make MS SQL accessible to unix? I've heard of iodbc but without any hands-on details. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience. Bing dubing@gmail.com (dubing@gmail.com) writes: > We need to access MS SQL 2000 database from RHEL platforms. I've > tested unixODB...

how do you update a java.sql.date type in an ms access database
when i update a row in an access database the date field does not update to the correct date it brings up some funny date which i dont know where it comes from. Below is the method i use to update. maybe the date types are not compatable? thanks in advance, public static void bookIN(int custID, int rNumber,java.sql.Date bkInDate ){ try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); String filename = "hotelDB.mdb"; String database = "jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ="; database+=...

MS Access conversion to MS SQL
Hi, I've been developing a database for a department in a local organisation. The database is in Microsoft Access and uses tables, queries, forms and reports. Written into the forms is vast amounts of visual basic. There are also a couple of macros. In the time I've been developing this database (a year now, as I went back to university, and then finished university and returned to finish off the DB) the organisation I've been working for have decided to start using MS SQL. The department I am working for aren't to happy as not only my database but most of theirs are in Access...

MS SQL to MS Access ASP problem
Hi, I am sorry to post this msg here but i could not find any group on ASP. Please forgive me for posting OT msg here but I need to get this ASP program to work with ms access instead of ms SQL... I have converted the DB now I just wanted to know should I just change the DB connection settings or there is more to be seen and taken care of. will I have to change the intire sql commands or its just the database connection setting. Warm Regards Jaunty Edward "Jaunty Edward" <smilesinblues@hotpop.com> wrote in message news:1ec8978e.0409040206.451ee990@posting.google.com... > ...

Any MS Access that is NOT MS Access in WinXP?
Hi all, I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I don't want to use Access anymore. I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road. Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program, and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how it could work. Has anybody tried it? Or I can use a database solution with the full support of SQL, reliable, not memory-resident, and JAVA compatible (better JDBC). If a similar program does not exist, a java class may be enough, if it works! (I'd like to have the GUI and the possibility to work directly on the data without using Java, but if it is impossible...) Of course if everything could work also under linux, that wouldn't be too bad! :-) Do you know of any solution? Thank you, Duccio. Try hsqldb - 100% Java Database. http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/ "Duccio" <dmg1978@libero.it> wrote in message news:442cgvchha97g43he7hlrhr3clg4hm1d83@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in > Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I > don't w...

Accessing linked tables in MS Access database using JDBC ODBC Bridge
Does anyone know if JDBC can access linked tables in a Microsoft Access? We have a Mictosoft Access database that contains linked tables that are physically on a network drive. On a windows machine, We set up a java servlet that uses JDBC to connect to a microsoft access database using a DSN name set up in the ODBC administrator. We are able to run a query using a table that is physically on the database but not on tables linked into the database. The linked tables are comng from another Microsoft Access database on a mapped network drive. The java servlet and the database containing the linked tables are on the same computer drive. > Does anyone know if JDBC can access linked tables in a Microsoft > Access? HXTT Access( http://www.hxtt.net/access.html ), a pure Java JDBC package, supports Linked Table and View of MS Access. Yonghong Zhao System Analyst www.hxtt.net ...

Problems with MOD-Function by accessing MS-Access Database via SQL in Delphi
Hello, the following problem: I use Delphi 6 to access a MS Access Database. In short, the Delphi Code looks like this: ADOConnection1.Open; ADOQuery1.Close; ADOQuery1.SQL.Text :=3D 'SELECT * FROM database1 WHERE value1=3D1 AND value2=3D ' + inttostr(array[3]); ADOQuery1.Open; Label5.Caption:=3DADOQuery1.Fiel=ADdByName('value4').AsString; Now I only want to select these rows, where the Integer value3 ends on 1=2E So I need the Modulo-Function. I found in the Internet these two functions: MOD(x,y) und x % ...

java.sql.Date value truncated using JDBC in MS-SQL Server
Hi, I'm trying to write a java.sql.Date to a database and the minutes/ seconds etc. are not being written. I've seen and tested many examples found via searches and still have come up with nothing. Here's what I have: java.sql.Date formation - recommended constructor forms: java.sql.Date entryDttm = new java.sql.Date(System.currentTimeMillis()); OR java.sql.Date entryDttm = new java.sql.Date(new java.util.Date().getTime()); // prepared statement insert pstmt.setDate(1, entryDttm); // what is written to database 2007-02-07 12:00:00.000 // what needs to be w...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you create...

Database connection to MS Access & MS Foxpro
Hi, When we select new project ,can "MFC AppWizard(exe)" make connection to database ? or only "database project" can make connection to database ? How do i make connection to database(MS Access/Foxpro) and perform sql using MFC Appwizard(exe) with ODBC --CDatabase? Any sample code ? Thanks. CBTan wrote: > Hi, > > When we select new project ,can "MFC AppWizard(exe)" make connection > to database ? or only "database project" can make connection to > database ? > > How do i make connection to database(MS Acce...

MS SQL to MS Access Stored Proc. for Deletes
I have this stored procedure below that works great in SQL Server. The sql purges rows out of a table, leaving "x" # of rows in the table ("x" = s.RetainHistoryNum below). Now I need it to run in MS Access. The thing that throws me off is the multiple "from" statements. I have tried a dozen different queries, nothing seems to do the trick. Either I end up with an syntax error, or I end up with inaccurate results. Dan -------------------------------------------------- -Here is the stored proc I need to work in Access ------------------------------------------...

Accessing linked tables in MS Access database using JDBC ODBC Bridge #2
Does anyone know if JDBC can access linked tables in a Microsoft Access? We have a Mictosoft Access database that contains linked tables that are physically on a network drive. On a windows machine, We set up a java servlet that uses JDBC to connect to a microsoft access database using a DSN name set up in the ODBC administrator. We are able to run a query using a table that is physically on the database but not on tables linked into the database. The linked tables are comng from another Microsoft Access database on a mapped network drive. The java servlet and the database containing the linked tables are on the same computer drive. ...

Ms Access frontend / Oracle backend problem
Hi all, I'm developing a database using Ms Access 97 as the frontend and Oracle 8.17 as the backend under win2k os. Using Oracle ODBC to link the tables in Ms Access. This database is supposed to be used by 10 users at anyone time. Everything else is working as I expected but one. The one problem is, everytime I update or insert records using SQL*Plus, the changes or the new records do not show when I open the linked table in Ms Access frontend. I had to restart my computer before the table in Ms Access showed the correct records/data. Has anyone else had the same problem? Anyone knows how to overcome this? Regards, Sid ...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

RE: Access to MS SQL from Linux?
[Joe Wong] > Hi, > Is there any Python library for accessing MS SQL server > from a Linux machine? Either open source or commerical one will do for me. (Assuming you have FreeTDS installed: http://www.freetds.org/): http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/ or http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/ will both do the trick. Or if you have ODBC: mxODBC: http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html TJG ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The service is powered by MessageL...

Java with MS Access 2000 Database
Hi All I am trying to connect with MS Access database but faild. Please let me know what are the alternatives, so that I can connect to an Access Database. Thanks in Advance Zee What are you failing with? Make sure you have your data source/DB setup via control panel. The following pice of code shows how I connect to a ms access database called myDB. ------------------ // Load the driver class Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); // Define the data source for the driver String sourceURL = "jdbc:odbc:myDB"; // Create a connection thr...

How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ?
Hi I am new to database programming on Linux. Can anybody tell me how can I access MS SQL server database from Linux. Thanks Nileshshastri32@gmail.com wrote: > Hi > > I am new to database programming on Linux. Can anybody tell me how can > I access MS SQL server database from Linux. > > Thanks you have to establish a TCP/IP connection to port 3306. -- SF Games are very educational. Scrabble teaches us vocabulary, Monopoly teaches us cash-flow management, and Dungeons & Dragons teaches us to loot dead bodies. On 2008-08-01, Nileshshastri...

jdbc connection to MS access database
Im trying to connect my database. im using ms access when i try to execute my program it gives me this error i create my database by going to the odbc in the administrative tools. and when i try to execute my code it gives me this error: java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:545) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:193) at Transit.main(Transit.java:16) and this is the code im using. try{ Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); } catch(Exception e){ ...

MS Access Database SQL Problem
Hello, I'm a Belgian student and I'm having a problem with SQL in cobol. At school we use a simple MS Access database. An example of a table "Student" in the database could be: Student ------- id Automatic Numeration name Text adress Text age Numeric The problem is that I can only read fields with the type "Text". I use this code: ******************************************************* $SET SQL(dbman=ODBC, pass=admin, init, db=student) .... Working-storage section. EXEC SQL INCLUDE SQLCA END-EXEC EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION END-EXEC. 01 sstud...

left() and right() function in MS SQL vs MS ACCESS
I normally use MS ACCESS vs MS SQL,, which has a left() and right() function. I need to use MS SQL for this project but I am not familiar with it. I have read a few books, but can not figure out how to do this. Please help. If I need to compare the first 4 letters of a field, with the first four letters of another field, how can I do this? Select field1, field2 FROM table1 Where left(field1,4)=left(field2,4) (MS SQL does not have left() and right() functions) Please help. In addition, I have a CSV file with data like 10.20, which I import inrto a numberic field. Unforunately the value...

Writing to TEXT Field in MS SQL SERVER with MS JDBC Driver
Has anyone out there gotten this message java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Invalid parameter binding(s). upon executing a PreparedStatement when using TEXT fields? I am not sure how to properly set my TEXT field parameter. Do I use stmt.setObject(...) stmt.setAsciiStream(...) stmt.setBinaryStream(...) I did use a non-prepared statement e.g. INSERT INTO mytable (textfield) VALUES ('my test text') And it worked. However, I'd like do this the right way so as not to fall into some sort of SQL string size limitation. My prepared statement looks something like this INSERT INTO mytable (textfield) VALUES (?) Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Moran Ben-David "Moran Ben-David" <moran@rogers.com> wrote in message news:Tm6xb.63360$X2W1.36370@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > Has anyone out there gotten this message > > java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for > JDBC]Invalid parameter binding(s). > > upon executing a PreparedStatement when using TEXT fields? I am not sure > how to properly set my TEXT field parameter. Do I use > > stmt.setObject(...) > stmt.setAsciiStream(...) > stmt.setBinaryStream(...) > > I did use a non-prepared statement e.g. > > INSERT INTO mytable (textfield) VALUES ('my test text') > > And it worked. How...

Web resources about - JDBC+Linux -> MS Access/MS SQL?? - comp.lang.java.databases