MS Access Memo field question?

Hi I was wondering is it possible to read write to a memo field in ms
access, the same way you would read write to a text field? I have my
database set up and reading writeing to the databse ok using text field
but I have to now store strings which will contain 316 characters e.g

I need to do it beacuse Im encrypting ever thing in the database,

Thank if you can help
Niall

0
nialltimpson
4/1/2005 9:52:50 AM
comp.lang.java.databases 3049 articles. 0 followers. samyaksulabh (16) is leader. Post Follow

Problem concatenating memo fields in MS access database
I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving non-predictably. The code is: Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting problem? (I just want to append the text...

Memo fields in MS Access
Is there anyone that really uses DB2 8.1 memo fields in MS Access? I'm experiencing a lot of problems with them. I tried both using LONG VARCHAR fields and CLOB ones. Wich is the best way to define these fields for using them with Access? Thanks a lot. Bye Franco ...

MS Access Memo Fields
Hi I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any records. Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, all the field contents or just not work at all The query I am running is: SELECT Emails.* FROM Emails WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; I was a...

Database MS Access question
i need help about matlab database toolbox, when i use the "database" function, matlab return an object with the message "[1x100 char]" any other function called on this object return the message "closed or invalid connection" the odbc defaul had been set correctly and the MS Access database had an only one empty table...... WHAT'S UP?????? ...

Question: MS Access-equivalent Database
Hi all... I'm looking for an MS Access equivalent database solution for my Java application. My equivalent I mean the database is contained in a single file, i.e. mdb file (where I can distribute the application with the single MDB for the application to work). It should support SQL and all the rest of it, but no fancy stuff like triggers are needed. The reason I don't use Access mdb itself is because the internals of Access can change between Office versions (like the one between Access 95 and Access 97/2000), and I don't want the situation where I suddenly find my...

Java with MS Access 2000 Database
Hi All I am trying to connect with MS Access database but faild. Please let me know what are the alternatives, so that I can connect to an Access Database. Thanks in Advance Zee What are you failing with? Make sure you have your data source/DB setup via control panel. The following pice of code shows how I connect to a ms access database called myDB. ------------------ // Load the driver class Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); // Define the data source for the driver String sourceURL = "jdbc:odbc:myDB"; // Create a connection thr...

ask me a question ms access databases
I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order request is received. The web site is at www.jaxdatasolutions.com. This is for a limited time only. ivanmendoza@comcast.net (Ivan) wrote: >I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order >request is received. The web site is at <snipped> This >is for a limited time only. Umm, hows about we ask questions in this newsgroup? Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messages. Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips &...

paltalk MS ACCESS, general database questions
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable www.Paltalk.com: Welcome to the ms access database programmer Group = unsha ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-88...

help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions
Hi to all, I need some help deciding on the best database system for our specific application. OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include data from the last 30 years. The other 30 files are created by year and are about 1000 records and 10 columns. There are only 2 or 3 people keying in data, never at the same time. We also have a sonic digitizer (measures...

help MS ACCESS\SAS, general database questions
Hi to all, I need some help deciding on the best database system for our specific application. OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include data from the last 30 years. The other 30 files are created by year and are about 1000 records and 10 columns. There are only 2 or 3 people keying in data, never at the same time. We also have a sonic digitizer (measures...

How to link fields in MS word document to Access database
Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an access database? What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in an Access database. I also want to later select the document (from a file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields from the database. Of course if there are then any updates I want to put them back into the database. Workable? Anyone with sample code? Bob Alston...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions
Without having enough time to analyze excatly, what are your needs: if there are no important reasons why the data must be keept in MS Access: why you don't keep it all in SAS? If you are analyzing in SAS, there is no real reason to have any other DB to hold the data. For users you have many possibilities to give them comfortable possibilities to enter data, in or outside SAS. In SAS, the most easy idea is to use SAS/FSP. But that is not necessary. You can use nearly any tool for data entry and bring the (standard formatted) data into SAS. To get a consultant for realizing a proper solution might be a good idea. It sometime is not easy trying to learn to program in SAS by developing a productive solution, because it might be not easy to get it in time with all the obstacles, there might be in your way. If you have time (and money) enough, you should take the chance to learn how to do some steps further in SAS programming together with a good consultant. On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:26:59 -0500, Rob Cheshire <rob.cheshire@NOAA.GOV> wrote: >Hi to all, > I need some help deciding on the best database system for our >specific application. >OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be >updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the >other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 >files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include >data from the last 30 yea...

MS Access Question for Access Gurus
I have one table called Album another table called Song One Album has many songs I created an Album form that contains a Song Subform. in the Song table I have a field id which is the primary key, and another field called index The song index is a number that represents the song number on the record. For example on the Beatle's Album: Abbey Road the song indices are as follows: Track Listings 1. Come Together 2. Something 3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer 4. Oh! Darling 5. Octopus's Garden 6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) 7. Here Comes the Sun ...

how do you update a java.sql.date type in an ms access database
when i update a row in an access database the date field does not update to the correct date it brings up some funny date which i dont know where it comes from. Below is the method i use to update. maybe the date types are not compatable? thanks in advance, public static void bookIN(int custID, int rNumber,java.sql.Date bkInDate ){ try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); String filename = "hotelDB.mdb"; String database = "jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ="; database+=...

How Do I Get Rid Of Coded Characters In An Access Database Memo Fields
The letter or symbol " � " appears in the memo field of my Access database. I tried to use search and replace to delete it, but even though I can see it the search and replace feature can not find it. It appears that the " � " is a line feed symbol because when I paste a passage into Microsoft Word it appears at the end of a line before a paragraph mark. The memo field is the passage field in my KJV Bible database, so there are over 31,000 records affected by the symbol. Below is a sample: And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness {was} � upon the fa...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #2
You're describing my project with the Department of Education! We had a dbase database and used a Clipper application to massage it into 'presentable' form. And I thought I was on the bleeding edge (back edge, that is) 8 years ago. As with everything, it depends on what your main purpose is. In my case, it was to disseminate the information to as many people as possible in a format that could be read by/into as many applications as possible. So, we converted our data to flat files and supplied an 'application' that generated sas code that would read the flat files into a sas dataset (complete with formats and labels), so the researcher could write their own code to run against the sas dataset. It sounds like your project isn't quite as ambitious, but the reason I include this example is that it's hard to predict what form data will take, say, 5 years from now. I'll bet you've already run into difficulties in using Clipper, and you'd like to avoid these kind of problems the next time you update/analyze your data. Sas has had some changes in going from one version to another--generally, upgrading to the next version involves updating your dataset to the next version's format. So, if you're purpose is to archive your data for the next iteration of your survey, unless you're going to be active in the data, sas might not be the best choice for data storage. Somewhat more stable would be something like SQL server (cheap, ...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #3
Rob: MS Access imports data easily from dBase (*.dbf) files. I see no advantage in moving to SAS for that feature, especially if you would prefer to use the basic DE form controls in MS Access to develop what should be a simple DE capability. Although ODBC transfers of data from MS Access (*.mdb) databases has some pitfalls, as does OLEdb or other middleware (in particular, conversions of integers to floating point numbers, date/time values, and nulls/missings), a bit of Q/C will help you iron out the wrinkles and set up a reliable connection. It often helps as well to separate a data collecti...

Question about field design when planning a VB front-end to Access database
I apologize in advance for the x-post, but I am really not sure where this would best be addressed. I am designing a database in MSAccess for which I want to make the front-end in VB. I have planned out the basic structure of the tables and fields. However, my experience with Access is limited to doing all the work within Access, so I have a couple of issues I'm confused about. 1) Relationships: If I want a One-to-Many relationship between two tables based on an ID number, in Access I used the auto-number feature and then used the lookup feature in the other table, and viola, that's...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

ODBC/OLE DB MS Access Question 10G Database Upgrade Issues?
Hi There We currently have the following setup: Server: Oracle Database on Unix @ 9.2 Client: Windows XP Pro (SP1) MS Access 2000 Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle pile of databases that connect to oracle via ODBC/OLE DB Oracle Client 8.1.7 (MSDTC keys are pointing at oracle 8 dll's) We will be upgrading our database to Oracle 10G, and are concerned that the connection between MS access and the database will fail, or we will have data issues. I have read some reports of this, but have seen no consistant data accross the board. Testing will be done of course, but sometimes its easy to as...

Get the real type of columns from MS Access databases(OLEObject, text, memo, numeric)
Hello, I made one application that opens MS Access databases.And I have one problem.How can I find the real data type of columns(text, memo, OLEObject, numeric) like it is into Access.I tried with resultSetMetaData.getColumnType(columnIndex) but I receive java.sql.Types.I have two columns that contains OLEObjects(images).But I receive two different types for columns : VARCHAR once, and for second column SMALLINT.I only want to see the types like in Access(OLEObjects, Text, Numeric, Memo...).Thanks in advance! Best regards, Calin Pop ...

Java access to Microsoft Access database through Samba
Hi, I need to access from an JSP application in a Linux server to a Microsoft Access database (only read) that is in another Windows server (only accepts users in its domain, that are different from Linux server users) I have configured Samba so that I can access to the database file. When I access through the folder navigator of Linux it requests me user, domain and password and access without problems. I do not know, how to access from a Java/JSP application, it's possible to do it? what driver I must use? it is necessary to configure Samaba to have permission...

Web resources about - MS Access Memo field question? - comp.lang.java.databases

Apple, the FBI and ‘the most dangerous question in America’
When the contentious issue of government surveillance is brought up, a common sentiment expressed by individuals who see no problem with expanded ...

Survey raises questions about corporate cybersecurity
As tech leaders gather for RSA Cybersecurity Conference, study suggests companies aren't prepared to handle cyberattacks

Three questions to ask when God seems silent
While we may celebrate in times of answered prayer, sooner or later we must face an opposite truth: sometimes God is silent too.

Super Tuesday takeaways: Winners, losers & questions
Nearly every candidate scored results that will keep their campaigns afloat, so the nomination processes will remain contentious.

Clinton Talks To Traveling Press After 88 Days Of Avoiding Questions
Clinton Talks To Traveling Press After 88 Days Of Avoiding Questions

Here's a thought, CNN. Sign DiCaprio as guest-moderater to ask climate questions at Sunday's debate
You’ve probably seen this snippet from Leonardo DiCaprio’s Best Actor acceptance speech at the Academy Awards Sunday night: x YouTube Video ...

‘Nightline’s Dan Harris To Host ‘500 Questions’ Season 2 On ABC
Nightline co-anchor Dan Harris has been tapped as host for Season 2 of ABC 's event game show 500 Questions , from Mark Burnett and Mike Darnell. ...

Ask Your Clients These Questions To Drive Dramatic Business Growth
I often get asked about different techniques that business can use to close more business. However, the greatest impact you can have happens ...

Justice Clarence Thomas breaks 10-year streak, asks question in court
TIME Justice Clarence Thomas breaks 10-year streak, asks question in court fox2now.com Justice Clarence Thomas reflected on his long journey ...