Editing styled text, converting to HTML and plain text

Hi all. I'd like to create a fairly simple styled text
editor (JTextPane?) for brief announcements which are
stored in a database, and then presented to users on a
website (in HTML), as well as emailed to them in both
text/plain and text/html formats. I want users on multiple
platforms (especially Linux, Windows and MacOS X) to be
able to paste styled text into the editor, coming from a
word processor. Are there examples of this sort of thing,
especially:

1) An editor window, into which you can paste styled text,
and save it as HTML
2) A way to remove the styling, for the text/plain version
of the email

Thanks.

Dave Briccetti
Lafayette, California
www.davebsoft.com
www.dbschools.com

0
Dave
6/2/2004 4:48:52 PM
comp.lang.java.gui 8286 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:48:52 GMT, Dave Briccetti <daveb@davebsoft.com>
wrote or quoted :

>2) A way to remove the styling, for the text/plain version
>of the email

For that cannibalise the strip tags and strip entities code in Quoter.

See http://mindprod.com/products.html#QUOTER

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
Roedy

Call a Edit text from Edit text in another gui ?
PhatHienLSB.m function PushMo_Callback(hObject, eventdata, handles) % hObject handle to PushMo (see GCBO) % eventdata reserved - to be defined in a future version of MATLAB % handles structure with handles and user data (see GUIDATA) [filename, pathname] = uigetfile( ... { '*.bmp','BMP (*.bmp)'; ... '*.png','PNG(*.png)'; ... '*.jpg', 'JPG (*.jpg)'; ... '*.*', 'All Files (*.*)'}, ... 'Moi ban chon tep anh'); set(handles.Edit1,'String',[filename,pathname]); TachTin.m function TachThongDiep_OpeningFcn(hObject, eventdata, handles, varargin) % This function has no output args, see OutputFcn. % hObject handle to figure % eventdata reserved - to be defined in a future version of MATLAB % handles structure with handles and user data (see GUIDATA) % varargin command line arguments to TachThongDiep (see VARARGIN) % Choose default command line output for TachThongDiep handles.output = hObject; filename=get(handles.PhatHienLSB.Edit1,'String'); set(handles.Edit2,'String','filename'); % Update handles structure guidata(hObject, handles); ...

Best way to convert html to plain text in java?
Hello, I have a java servlet that processes plain text. I'd like to point to a specific url and pull over a webpage, then convert it to plain text for further processing. I have written some code that simply strips tags from the html, but this only does an OK job as it fails on poorly written html and javascript (to name a few). Are there any java APIs that would perform a better conversion? I've looked into JEditorPane and HTMLEditorKit, but haven't had any luck in getting these to perform the conversion. Thanks for any help! On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:20:01 +0100, <google@lrla...

Save Text from GUI Edit Text Box
Hi there! I'm very new to MatLab, this is probably very easy to do - please, if you can, give me very explicit instructions. I'm creating a GUI in GUIDE that has a editable text box. I want a button that, when clicked, will write that text to a text file (in this case, directory.txt). If there is a way to browse for a directory and input the directory into the text box in the GUI, that would be way awesome, but it's not a priority. Thanks very much everybody! "Kyle " <kylebshr@gmail.com> wrote in message <jucb5d$s0b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi there! > > I'm very new to MatLab, this is probably very easy to do - please, if you can, give me very explicit instructions. > > I'm creating a GUI in GUIDE that has a editable text box. I want a button that, when clicked, will write that text to a text file (in this case, directory.txt). > > If there is a way to browse for a directory and input the directory into the text box in the GUI, that would be way awesome, but it's not a priority. Thanks very much everybody! Kyle...did you get the answer! if yes, then , please tell me too! thanks in advance! ...

How to convert markup text to plain text in python?
I have some marked up text and would like to convert it to plain text, by simply removing all the tags. Of course I can do it from first principles but I felt that among all Python's markup tools there must be something that would do this simply, without having to create an XML parser etc. I've looked around a bit but failed to find anything, any tips? (e.g. convert "<B>Today</B> is <U>Friday</U>" to "Today is Friday") Regards, Geoff > I have some marked up text and would like to convert it to plain text, > by simply removing all th...

Converting flowed text messages to plain text
Is it possible to "convert" the flowed text the Eudora messages are saved in the mailboxes as, to truly plain text? I've switched from Eudora to Pine as my e-mail client, and the html formatting in my archived messages is _really_ annoying. Gwen Gwen Morse wrote: >Is it possible to "convert" the flowed text the Eudora messages are >saved in the mailboxes as, to truly plain text? > >I've switched from Eudora to Pine as my e-mail client, and the html >formatting in my archived messages is _really_ annoying. > >Gwen > > Gwen, I don't believe there IS any HTML in the Format=Flowed messages. Html messages, when replied to, will have a line that looks similar to F=F. Plain text IS plain text. If there is HTML in a message, then F=F doesn't apply. That said, there IS a way to turn it off, but I'll have to try to find the commands. (If you really want to. You will break 'selective quoting' if you do that.) Rick -- Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants. On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:49:38 -0500, Rick <Rick@privacy.net> wrote: >Gwen Morse wrote: > >>Is it possible to "convert" the flowed text the Eudora messages are >>saved in the mailboxes as, to truly plain text? >> >>I've switched from Eudora to Pine as my e-mail client, and the html >>formatting in my archived mes...

'GUI-Edit text ui control'-Way to detect mouse click in the edit text
Hi I am designing a graphical user interface. I have an edit text box. I would like that when a user double clicks inside the text box a new window open up with the options of inserting the text, else user can himself enter the text from the keyboard. The problem is that I am struggling to find a way to detect the mouse click inside the text box. I know about 'keypressfcn' but I suppose that does not check the mouse click. Please help me in this regard. Thank you in advace. Sumit "Olivier " <sumit.iitkgp@gmail.com> wrote in message <hq6ca7$r79$1@fred.mathwork...

text + text

text-text

HTML Text and Photoshop Text
Hey Folks: I thought it best to do title text in photoshop and bring into my webpage for a better quality look. But, using Composer, the HTML looks pretty darn OK. Thoughts? Composer? what is that.. I would much prefer using Adobe Photoshp for text titles. Their effects are nice & customizable & with CS2, you can do more with that. "Raoul" <gaycat56@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1132628078.236760.142570@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hey Folks: > > I thought it best to do title text in photoshop and bring into my > webpage for a better quali...

Copy text from edit text box on MATLAB GUI to specific cell on an excel file
Good day! I would like to copy or transfer the text from an edit box on MATLAB GUI (via push button) to a specific cell on an excel file. Can you suggest on how to accomplish this one or even cite sample codes? If this is not possible, can you suggest anything on how to allow the user to input texts using the MATLAB GUI (via push button) and automatically transfer the texts to a specific cell on excel? It is preferable to have the texts copied/stored to the excel file without opening the actual excel file. Thank you so much. "Mary Requilman" <maryrose.requilman@gmail....

Converting html documents to plain text using LabVIEW
I have a large number of html test reports that were created in TestStand that I want to post process (search through for data) using LabVIEW. Currently if I open them I see all the html tags and I want to know if there is an easy way to clean that out and get the raw information...(similar to opening a document in a web browser and doing a "save as text file"). I have the internet toolkit and the "Internet Applications in LabVIEW" text, but couldn't find what I wanted in either place. Anyone ever do this before? My next course of action would be to use ActiveX and try to save it as text through the browser, but that would be very slow (open IE, open file, save as text, close IE, open text file, process, delete text file...repeat thousands of times). Any info would be appreciated. Hi John, I have not personally explored this stuff myself, but, On your functions palette goto Advanced>>>Data manipulation>>>XML and you will find a sub-palette full of stuff that looks good to me. Let us know if any of thes are useful. Ben Excellent advice, Dennis! Dennis, Thanks for the response. You're preaching to the choir here. Back in '97 or 98 I presented at NI week a system I designed using the old Test Executive Toolkit coupled to a MS SQL Server DB, so I'm well aware of the value in that. In 2000 I started working at my present job and the first 3 years we were running full tilt just trying to get test programs written...

slrn can't convert HTML to plain text. ( emails, websites, posts )
<PRE> Below is some code ( Jeff-Relf.Me/X.CPP ) I wrote to convert HTML to plain text. ( emails, websites, posts ) As simple as it is, slrn can't do it. Forte Agent tries but fails; it's mostly about NZB files, videos. Mozilla Thunderbird is flawless, Win Live Mail is OK⋅ish. I use one of three browsers, depending on what I want to do. 1: X.EXE ( X.CPP, like Lynx but with images ) 2: FireFox ( NoScript, Jeff-Relf.Me/userContent.CSS.TXT, etc. ) 3: Internet Explorer ( for animations/crap ) typedef wchar_t *LnP ; typedef LnP *LnA ; Sh( LnP S, ... ); // Like "printf()", for my custom console. struct LnT { LnA BB, PP, EE ; }; // The console lines, a dynamic array of pointers. LnT Ln ; // Allocate from a temporary heap; never use "free()" or "realloc()". LnP MallocTmp( int Sz ) { LnP M ; if ( Sz <= 0 || ( M = (LnP)HeapAlloc( Heap, 0, Sz ), !M ) ) exit(1); // Panic ! ( never happens [ borked heap ] ) return M ; } // Grow the console line ( *Ln.PP ) // Sz² characters ( from B², as passed ). Cat( LnP B², int Sz² ) { if ( Sz² <= 0 ) return; LnP &amp;B = *Ln.PP, B³ ; int Sz³ = szStr( B ) + Sz² + 1 ; B³ = MallocTmp( Sz³ * szChr ), Str( B³, L"%s%.*s", B, Sz², B² ), B = B³ ; } Cat( wchar_t Ch ) { Cat( &amp;Ch, 1 ); } ⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅ // Handy macros. #define LOOP while(1) #define Loop( N ) int J = - 1, LL...

Different text styles in the same text box
I am developing a bibliographic database. I am creating a report with bibliographic references like this: - Joyce, Ulysses, London, Penguin Press, 2002. The last string has been obtained by an expression like this: [author] & [text] & [city] & [publisher] & [date] Now there's a problem. I'd like to get different styles for the different fields (ex: italics for the author, underlined for the book title, etc). Is it possible? Thanks in advance Davide If I'm not mistaken there is a rich-text control that comes with VB that would allow you to do this, but I don't think anything in Access will allow it. Mike Storr www.veraccess.com "Davide" <madhorse@tin.it> wrote in message news:16bd25b3.0402090650.54e4ee34@posting.google.com... > I am developing a bibliographic database. > I am creating a report with bibliographic references like this: > - Joyce, Ulysses, London, Penguin Press, 2002. > The last string has been obtained by an expression like this: > [author] & [text] & [city] & [publisher] & [date] > Now there's a problem. I'd like to get different styles for the > different fields (ex: italics for the author, underlined for the book > title, etc). > Is it possible? > Thanks in advance > Davide ...

How to extract the plain text from a rich text ?
Hi everybody ! I can't find how to get a wxstring containing the plain text from a wxstring containing rich text. Does anybody how to do that ? Thanks ! ...

Converting Text to Proper Text in SQL
Given a string it should convert it to a proper text. Example: if you passed a string 'Cat in the hat', I want 'Cat In The Hat' Curious about few things, Does sql have Instr OR Split(like VB) functionality Anybody can help?? (m.ramana@gmail.com) writes: > Given a string it should convert it to a proper text. > Example: if you passed a string 'Cat in the hat', I want 'Cat In The > Hat' I though "Cat in the Hat" was the proper title text in English, and "Cat In The Hat" is what you get when you use a computer? SQL Server is not strong on text maninpulation. You would have to loop over the string, either one by one, or possibly piece by piece with charindex(). There is no built-in for this. > Curious about few things, Does sql have Instr OR Split(like VB) > functionality I would encourage you to look at Functions->String Functions in the T-SQL References in Books Online. There you can learn about all functions to manipulate strings in T-SQL. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp m.ramana@gmail.com wrote: > Given a string it should convert it to a proper text. > Example: if you passed a string 'Cat in the hat', I want 'Cat In The > Hat' > > Curious about few things, Does sql have Instr OR Split(like VB) > functionality > > Anybody can h...

Plain text or HTML?
In checking reject mail file came across the following. I was under the impression that postings were to be in plain text. If so, shouldn't SAIC reject such mail? 6-APR-2004 17:51:26.90: MX SMTP server: rejected message from <Info-VAX-Request@Mvb.Saic.Com> sent by [198.151.12.104] due to RFC822 header rule [Content-Type: text/html*] [rule id 122] --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.593 / Virus Database: 376 - Release Date: 2/20/2004 ...

converting text to HTML
I know there are a couple of freeware that convert plain text to html. Any idea as to which ones & where I could find the good ones out there? Thanks pai.priya@gmail.com wrote: > I know there are a couple of freeware that convert plain text to html. > Any idea as to which ones & where I could find the good ones out there? http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite/ -- +-----------------------------------------------------+ | Lorenzo Bettini ICQ# lbetto, 16080134 | | Home Page : http://www.lorenzobettini.it | | http://tronprog.blogspot....

html to plain text
Okay, I have played with Hpricot and I am a convert. Amazing stuff. I am struggling up to speed and I can't find what must be a basic function. I've scraped the FAA site and they store all their stuff wrapped in td's, wrapped in tr's, wrapped in tables. Thank you Hpricot. Now that I have "<b>Manufacturer</b>" isn't there a simple call to get rid of the last bit of html? Thanks, --Colin Hi Colin, consult api doc for Hpricot.inner_text: require 'rubygems' require 'hpricot' require 'open-uri' doc =3D open( 'http://www.goo...

How to get selected text from a text edit control?
I created a text edit control using CreateEditTextControl. I can get the current text by calling char buf[256]; Size textSize = 0; GetControlData(controlRef, kControlEditTextPart, kControlEditTextTextTag, 255, buf, &textSize); but how do I get only the text that is currently selected (highlighted)? thanks, Shai In article <1111086224.345185.78280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, shai@waves.com wrote: > I created a text edit control using CreateEditTextControl. > I can get the current text by calling > > char buf[256]; > Size textSize = 0; ...

Scanned text (image) needs to be converted to text
Hello all, I have a PDF of a contract that was scanned in and stored as an image (so we can't select the text). Is there any way to convert an image to text (preferably built in to Adobe Acrobat or a free plug-in)? We are using Adobe Acrobat 5.0. Thanks for any help anyone can provide, Conan Kelly Conan Kelly wrote: > Hello all, > > I have a PDF of a contract that was scanned in and stored as an image > (so we can't select the text). > > Is there any way to convert an image to text (preferably built in to > Adobe Acrobat or a free plug-in)? > &...

PDF Converter Mac
PDF Converter for Mac can help you: Convert PDF to Word Document (*.doc); Convert PDF to Excel spreadsheets (*.xls); Convert PDF to PowerPoint presentations (*.pptx); Convert PDF to EPUB eBooks (*.epub); Convert PDF to Text files (*.txt); Convert PDF to HTML pages (*.html); Print restricted PDF files; Resize images of PDF files; Edit PDF files in Microsoft Office; Share PDF files on internet easily; Change contents in any existing PDF files; Modify typos and misspellings in PDF files; Calculate and edit data in Microsoft Excel; Read PDF eBooks on mobile devices, such as iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Sony reader and more; Extract the text, images, graphics, tables and hyperlinks for reusing in other applications. More Info: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/ PDF to Word Converter for Mac: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/pdf-to-word/ PDF to Word Converter for Mac is specially designed for Mac users, which helps to convert PDF to Word on Mac OS X. PDF to PPT Converter for Mac: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/pdf-to-ppt/ PDF to PPT Converter for Mac empowers Mac users to convert PDF to Microsoft PowerPoint accurately. PDF to Excel Converter for Mac: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/pdf-to-excel/ PDF to Excel Converter for Mac extracts the data in the PDF file to Excel spreadsheets for easy editing and calculating. PDF to ePub Converter for Mac: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/pdf-to-epub/ PDF to EPUB Converter for Mac is an efficient PDF to E...

when I add HTML to innerHTML, FireFox renders it as HTML, but IE shows it as plain text
This weekend I wanted to learn AJAX, so I set up a little toy page where I could experiment. The idea of this page is that you click in one of the boxes to get some controls, at which point you can add text, images, or HTML to the box. This seems to work fine in FireFox, but not in IE. You can see the problem here: http://www.publicdomainsoftware.org/ajaxExperiment.htm In FireFox, if you click in a box and then select "Add HTML" you could type in this: <h1>Hello!</h1> and it shows up as the word "Hello!" done as a first level header. But if you do the same ...

converting html/text to palmDOC
I've been searching the internet for the last several days and trying out various programs to convert text and html (including MakeDocJ and MakeDocW). The twist is that I've been trying to convert Spanish text (a la Gutenberg) which contains all those funky accents. �, �, etc And they don't play nicely with any of the converters that I've found. Does anyone know how to do a conversion to palm DOC and preserving those accented characters? On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:50:15 GMT, Holy Batman! <reply@thegroups.thx> wrote: >I've been searching the internet f...

Web resources about - Editing styled text, converting to HTML and plain text - comp.lang.java.gui

PastBook’s Filepicker.io Integration Eases Process Of Converting Facebook Content To Books
PastBook , one of several companies that allow Facebook users to publish their content on the social network in actual books , announced the ...

Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store on iTunes
Get Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

"Occupier" Thanked Former Soviet Citizen for "Converting" Him to Capitalism, Pro-Israel, Pro-USA - YouTube ...
May Day Demonstration on Union Square in New York City Zionism & Birth of Modern Israel in 1948: Former Soviet Citizen Pays Tribute to Ben-Gurion ...

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...