Java 1.4.2 Vs 1.5 Vs 1.6 #2

I'm sure this question has been posted but I've not found any
definitive answer.

I maintain a product line that consists of a dedicated Linux system
running Java to provide a GUI interface as a control system for
underlying hardware. I've been working to move to jdk 1.5 (not hard
but I'm busy) and now this new DST thing which is not covered by the
version I've been porting to (1.5.0-b64) makes me want to rething
about going to the latest 1.6. It seems every version change had
problems in the beginning and I didn't even try 1.6 because of that.
Now I'm thinking about it again.

Can anyone give me a level of comfort about just going to the latest
jdk and jre? Is there an advantage to going to the latest 1.6 versus
the last 1.5? The liability of 1.6 is, of course, it's not as tested
as the previous releases but, as java has matured, I think that some
of that may be pretty minimal. I don't have enough data to judge.

Can I get opinions? Any input is greatly appreciated.

0
jkimble (58)
3/18/2007 6:28:34 PM
comp.lang.java.gui 8286 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

James Kimble wrote:
> I'm sure this question has been posted but I've not found any
> definitive answer.
>
> I maintain a product line that consists of a dedicated Linux system
> running Java to provide a GUI interface as a control system for
> underlying hardware. I've been working to move to jdk 1.5 (not hard
> but I'm busy) and now this new DST thing which is not covered by the
> version I've been porting to (1.5.0-b64) makes me want to rething
> about going to the latest 1.6. It seems every version change had
> problems in the beginning and I didn't even try 1.6 because of that.
> Now I'm thinking about it again.
>
> Can anyone give me a level of comfort about just going to the latest
> jdk and jre? Is there an advantage to going to the latest 1.6 versus
> the last 1.5? The liability of 1.6 is, of course, it's not as tested
> as the previous releases but, as java has matured, I think that some
> of that may be pretty minimal. I don't have enough data to judge.
>
> Can I get opinions? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Every now and then people find obscure bugs and if it is in your code
that is a PITA.  I wouldn't waste my time updating from 1.4 to 1.5 when
1.6 is already here.  I've been using 1.6 since last summer and have not
run into any bugs.  That doesn't mean that there aren't any just that my
code hasn't found any.  I certainly wouldn't use a version of 1.5 that
isn't the latest subversion, 1.5.0_11 as of today.

I tell all of my clients that updates and bug fixes are contingent upon
them having the latest JRE installed.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/
Knute Johnson wrote:
>> Can I get opinions? Any input is greatly appreciated.

The only problem I've had with 1.6 is also in current levels of 1.5, a
bug involving
    pushbuttons
    containing images
    within a toolbar
    in the Windows XP look and feel.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have
On Mar 19, 2:45 am, "John W. Kennedy" <jwke...@attglobal.net> wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
> >> Can I get opinions? Any input is greatly appreciated.
>
> The only problem I've had with 1.6 is also in current levels of 1.5, a
> bug involving
>     pushbuttons
>     containing images
>     within a toolbar
>     in the Windows XP look and feel.
>
> --
> John W. Kennedy
> "The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have
> always objected to being governed at all."
>    -- G. K. Chesterton.  "The Man Who Was Thursday"
> * TagZilla 0.066 *http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

Thanks! It definately sounds like 1.6 is the way to go.

0
James

Java 1.4.2 Vs 1.5 Vs 1.6
I'm sure this question has been posted but I've not found anydefinitive answer.I maintain a product line that consists of a dedicated Linux systemrunning Java to provide a GUI interface as a control system forunderlying hardware. I've been working to move to jdk 1.5 (not hardbut I'm busy) and now this new DST thing which is not covered by theversion I've been porting to (1.5.0-b64) makes me want to rethingabout going to the latest 1.6. It seems every version change hadproblems in the beginning and I didn't even try 1.6 because of that.Now I'm thinking about it again...

Java 1.2 Swing vs. Java 1.5 Swing
Has much changed from swing in java 1.2 to swing in java 1.5? I was thinking of getting the o'reilly swing book first edition of e-bay for $10 but it is only up to java 1.2 and is 7 years old. Would this book be missing much? Has anyone read it? Big Daddy wrote: > Has much changed from swing in java 1.2 to swing in java 1.5? I was > thinking of getting the o'reilly swing book first edition of e-bay for > $10 but it is only up to java 1.2 and is 7 years old. Would this book be > missing much? Has anyone read it? compare the online apis and see if something's depr...

Changing (1,2,3,4,5...) to (1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5...)
Hi All, I have a column vector of numbers that I would like to extrapolate by "doubling up": e.g. turn 2 4 6 8 into: 2 2 4 4 6 6 8 8 any ideas on an easy vectorised way to do this? TIA, Rob v=repmat([2; 4; 6; 8].',2,1); v=v(:) "Robert Barrie" <askme@ifuwant.com> wrote in message <hlt7kp$rut$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi All, > > I have a column vector of numbers that I would like to extrapolate by "doubling up": > > e.g. turn > 2 > 4 > 6 > 8 > > into: > 2 > 2 > 4 > 4 > 6 > 6 > 8 >...

HELP: Unicode in Java 1.3.1 vs 1.4.2
Hi All, according to http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/i18n/text/string.html: "If a byte array contains non-Unicode text, you can convert the text to Unicode with one of the String constructor methods. Conversely, you can convert a String object into a byte array of non-Unicode characters with the String.getBytes method. When invoking either of these methods, you specify the encoding identifier as one of the parameters." It works fine in Java 1.3.1 ------------------------------------------------------------------ // Convert ASCII to Unicode str_uni = new String(str_ascii.g...

java 1.4 fail with java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError but 1.5, 1.6 ok
My JNI program is working with java 1.5 & 1.6 but fail with java 1.4 on a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer. Please help even though java 1.4 is old. $ /opt/java1.4/bin/java -d32 -jar jHw.jar Failed to load MycompAPI and MycompAPI_64 libraries. java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no MycompAPI_64 in java.library.path at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1542) at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:795) at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:834) at com.chrysalisits.crypto.MycompAPI.<clinit>(MycompAPI.java: 47) at com.chrys...

Java 1.1 vs 1.2 Printing
Hi all, I have a problem. I am working with some GIS software that prints maps. It was originally designed using the Java 1.1 API and is still compiled today using the Java 1.1 compiler. If we run the program in a Java 1.1.x Runtime Environment (IE, Netscape), and print out a map, it gets printed out perfectly. If we run the program in a Java 2 Runtime Environment (Sun plugin), and print out a map, the page origin seems to get shifted to the top and to the left. This leads to the left edge of the map getting cut off. No change in code, just the environment it's being run in. Any ideas?...

Java 1.1 vs 1.2 Printing
Hi all, I have a problem. I am working with some GIS software that prints maps. It was originally designed using the Java 1.1 API and is still compiled today using the Java 1.1 compiler. If we run the program in a Java 1.1.x Runtime Environment (IE, Netscape), and print out a map, it gets printed out perfectly. If we run the program in a Java 2 Runtime Environment (Sun plugin), and print out a map, the page origin seems to get shifted to the top and to the left. This leads to the left edge of the map getting cut off. No change in code, just the environment it's being run in. Any ideas?...

ACE 5.4.2 + TAO 1.4.2 client, ORBacus 4.1.2 NameService, and JACOrb 1.4.1 servants
Hi everyone, Background: ----------- I'm very new to CORBA, ACE & TAO. I'm trying to integrate with a 3rd party system which exposes a CORBA object model to clients. This system is composed of JACOrb 1.4.1 servers registering with an ORBacus 4.1.2 NameService. We've got existing software that uses ACE 5.4.2, and the 3rd party documentation mentions that people have used TAO (no version specified) previously to integrate with their system, so I'm trying out TAO 1.4.2 as a natural solution to the problem. Environment Specifics: ---------------------- - AC...

RE: KRB5 1.4 vs. KRB5 1.3.6 on AIX 5.2 #2
Downloaded KRB5 1.4.1 and the installation worked great with GCC and AIX make. None of the problems that were encountered with 1.4.0 and the unbalanced "(". The problem with: /usr/local/kerberos/bin/kinit -V kinit(v5): Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm while getting initial credentials still exist. If I force it to version 4 KRB it seems to work with the krb5.conf: /usr/local/kerberos/bin/kinit -4 xxxxxxx Password for xxxxxx@xxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx: kinit(v4): Can't send request (send_to_kdc) The krb5.conf file is the same file that worked with the 1.3....

Upgrade from VO 1 - 2 - 2..1 -2.2 - 2.3 -2.4 - 2.5 - 2.6 - 2.7
About upgrade 2.5 - 2.7 at $ 384.00 For most products I'm using - the updates (2.0 - 2.1 - 2.7) are free... 2.0 to 3.0 might be worth + 10-30% of the original price? VO is + full price again & again - Full program price for every minor upgrade/bug-fix? I dropped out of the money/bugs [VO] at 2.5 after starting at 1.0 more than 10 years ago. Certainly whoever is making VO have to make a living; earning moneys: - that is OK! A 10 years old VO site; - 10 years later, how much have changed? http://www.yi.com/prany/cavo/cavofront.htm Even MS is not ...

{{1,2,3},{4,5,6},...} --> {1,2,3,4,5,6,...} ?
What's a simple way to turn an "array of arrays" into one big array? Essentially I want to concatenate every member of a cell array. I was thinking something like this: feval(horzcat,deal(array)) But that doesn't seem to work. Is there a similar form that does? thanks, Tobin http://web.pas.rochester.edu/~tobin/ In article <Pine.GSO.4.64.0604051040090.34@apocalypse.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>, Tobin Fricke <fricke@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote: > What's a simple way to turn an "array of arrays" into one big array? > > Essentially I want to conc...

Serialization between Java 1.1.4 and Java 1.4.1
Hello, It seems to me to be in some kinda trouble. I wanted to implement communication between Java applet and Server through sockets and Serialization. So, I serialize Object, send it to server which deserialize it with no problems. In other direction problems came out since Object serialized under Java 1.4.1 seems to be not deserializable under Java 1.1.4. (MS VM). If applet si run under J2, there are no problems, but I cannot push people to download some 15MB of new JRE just to accomplish my requirements, especially if applet needs not implementation of features of new JRE... ...

Java 1.4.2 on Free BSD 5.2.1
Dear Sir/Madam, I want to install Java 1.4.2 on my FreeBSD 5.2.1 machine. I started by giving make command in /usr/ports/java/jdk14 directory. Each time it asks for a new file having .tar or .gz extension. Noting these files, I have downloaded about 7 to 8 big files from the internet. Each time 'making' it, it asks for a new file. Can we get the list of all files for installing a particular port at one location? Do I have to download all such files from the internet for installing each port? I want to install Gnome also. How many files do I need to download? I have downloaded ports.tar.gz which is about 25 MB and carries most of the patches? How to extract it and in which folder? Please help me in learning FreeBSD. -Sameer Shinde, Chiplun Begin <1105108695.896944.49700@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> On 2005-01-07, smshinde <smshinde@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to install Java 1.4.2 on my FreeBSD 5.2.1 machine. [snip: manual download of the java source] > Do I have to download all such files from the internet for installing > each port? > I want to install Gnome also. How many files do I need to download? You've picked java as a first port to install, which is unfortunate, as it isn't the easiest port to install. For most other ports, the system should fetch the needed sources automatically; that is part of why it exists. Java is one of the few exceptions, for legal reasons. http://www.freebsd.org/jav...

Upgrade of Xalan 1.2.2 and Xerces 1.4.4 to Xalan 2.6 and Xerces 2.6.2
I've been tasked with upgrading the JVM from 1.3 to 1.4, and the third party libraries used by my company on our existing Java framework. I'm most worried about any problems that may occur due to upgrading Xalan and Xerces as our framework performs much XML transformation and processing. Does anyone have a link to known issues with such an upgrade (besides the Xalan / Xerces sites) ? Or has anyone done such an upgrade and can share their pearls of wisdom? Thanks Chris ...

Mozilla 1.2.1 vs 1.5
Hi, I was originally using Mozilla 1.2.1 pre-installed with RH9 during installation. The chinese character in mozilla interface is smooth and nice. However, when I installed mozilla 1.5 from the web with chinese interface, the fonts are not smooth and they are ugly... How can I set the font in moz 1.5 with the fonts used in moz 1.2.1? Thanks for your help~~. In <bukqlt$quc$1@www.csis.hku.hk>, young_child wrote: > Hi, > > I was originally using Mozilla 1.2.1 pre-installed with RH9 during > installation. The chinese character in mozilla interface is smooth and > nice...

Load average differences between Apache 1.3.37/PHP 4.4.6 and Apache 2.2.4/PHP 5.2.1
Hi folks, I've encountered something rather strange. This morning, I upgraded our production server, providing web services for our library website, from Apache 1.3.37/PHP 4.4.6 to Apache 2.2.4/PHP 5.2.1. The server, which normally exhibits a load average below 1 most of the time, spiked to loads that approached 100 if left alone. The interesting part of this is that this load average seems to be almost artificial - it appears to be caused by httpd processes stuck in a "closing connection" state (TIME_WAIT, in netstat). These processes are still running according t...

SN#21034 Java News Bites: J2SE 1.4.2 EOL, Jersey 1.0.1, JavaFX and Java's Future, Multilingual GlassFish Updates, Sun Supports Alice, JavaFX Samples, JBoss 5
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 130 Issue 3 2008-12-19 Article 21034 from section "Java Technology" Short Items of Interest to the Java Community - J2SE 1.4.2 End Of Life - Jersey 1.0.1 Implements JAX-RS 1.0 - Sun's Director of Technology Outreach on JavaFX, future of Java - Recent Updates to Multilingual GlassFish - Sun Teams with Carnegie Mellon in Support of Alice - Get More Samples of JavaFX - Redhat's JBoss AS 5.0 Complies with JSR 244 [url "http://blogs.systemnews....

how can i write this statement labels=[1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;]; in compress fo
How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition "shah " <shahkhn3@gmail.com> wrote in message <lodugh$8hr$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition You'll find in this thread different solutions for similar question http://www.mathworks.fr/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/335814 Bruno ...

[tao-users] Use of TAO_OutputCDR and ACE_Message_Block in CORBA::Any from TAO 1.4.1|ACE 5.4.1 to TAO2.2.0|ACE 6.2.0
This is a multipart message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00BF_01CEA8D4.9E005C80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable TAO VERSION: 2.2.0 ACE VERSION: 6.2.0 =20 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: x86_64 and Red Hat - Linux 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 =20 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: =20 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): gcc (GCC) 4.8.1 =20 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE: config-linux.h =20 THE $ACE...

java 1.5 on 1.4.2
Just need to verify something. You can not use a java 1.5 war file on a machine with java 1.4.2 loaded on it. Is this not right??? Thanks Yeah the compiled .class files shouldn't match. oracle schreef: > Just need to verify something. > > You can not use a java 1.5 war file on a machine with java 1.4.2 loaded > on it. > That depends, you can compile Java 1.5 source code to a 1.4 class file. Then it will run fine on a java 1.4.2 JVM, even with the use of generics, and other java 1.5 extensions. On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 03:00 +0200, Gerbrand van Dieijen wrote: >...

[tao-users] The differences between TAO 1.4.1.2 and 1.5.1.0 #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C74A75.80E5ABB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello all, =20 Could someone tell me where can I find a document which describes about the differences between TAO 1.4.1.2 and 1.5.1.0? =20 Thanks with regards, Shi Lei ------_=_NextPart_001_01C74A75.80E5ABB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> &...

KRB5 1.4 vs. KRB5 1.3.6 on AIX 5.2
I was hoping someone might be able to help me fix an issue I have encountered. I tested KRB5 1.3.6 on AIX 5.2 using C for AIX and the installed make. Created a krb5.conf and krb5.keytab to talk to a Windows 2k AD Domain Controller. Had no issues, connected and received tickets fine. I recently installed KRB5 1.4 on the same machine after removing the 1.3.6 footprint. I encountered an issue seen by others with the error: "Syntax error at line 1 : `(' is not matched" when using AIX's make; but it seems to work fine using GNU Make. After compiling and doing a make instal...

RE: KRB5 1.4 vs. KRB5 1.3.6 on AIX 5.2
The compile with CC works with no issues. The other issue still remains. "Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm while getting initial credentials" I tried kinit with the -k and verbose; but not with a password. I will post the results once I get it accomplished. Thanks, Lamar -----Original Message----- From: Tom Yu [mailto:tlyu@MIT.EDU] Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 2:18 PM To: Saxon, Lamar Cc: kerberos@mit.edu Subject: Re: KRB5 1.4 vs. KRB5 1.3.6 on AIX 5.2 >>>>> "Lamar" == <Lamar.Saxon@americredit.com> writes: Lamar>...

KRB5 1.4 vs. KRB5 1.3.6 on AIX 5.2 (fwd)
I have done some research on this problem. The host resolve code does not complete successfully. I have traced the error to the routine at /kerberos/mit/krb5-1.4/src/lib/krb5/os/dnsglue.c. In the routine a call is made to res_ninit to provide dns information for the kdc. res_ninit updates the structure at statbuf but overlays memory 72 bytes past the structure boundary. I have opened a problem with IBM on res_ninit. The problem is not yet resolved but IBM suggested using a malloc for the structure instead of static storage. I am trying to get IBM to correct the error in res_ninit...

Web resources about - Java 1.4.2 Vs 1.5 Vs 1.6 #2 - comp.lang.java.gui

Java - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Indonesian island. For the programming language, see Java (programming language) . For other uses, see Java (disambiguation) ...

Indonesian Air Force plane crashes in residential East Java
An Indonesian Air Force plane has crashed in East Java.

Good riddance to the Java plugin
... cut down dramatically on the number of computers infected with malicious software. Good news: Oracle says the next major version of its Java ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541

Indonesian Air Force plane crashes in residential East Java
An Indonesian Air Force plane has crashed in East Java.

Deal: learn to code in Java and make Android apps for $29
... a variety of different Android-related subjects. Included classes: Learn Android Lollipop Development (& Marshmallow!) The Complete Java Developer ...

Java Slams The Door On The Era Of The Web Plugin
The Java plugin will be deprecated by Oracle in the next release of the Java Development Kit.

Java “RAT-as-a-Service” backdoor openly sold through website to scammers
The JSocket website: open for business on the open Web (at least right now). (credit: Sean Gallagher) A family of Java-based malware that has ...

Oracle issues an emergency patch to Java for Windows
Security problems are not new to Java, though it is, admittedly, not the only platform that suffers from these problems. Now Oracle has acknowledged ...

Malaysian white coffee is NYC's hottest new java - Business Insider
Kopitiam, a Malaysian café, is making white coffee, a Malaysian favorite that is still basically unknown in the US.