Java Fonts under Microsoft JVM

Hello,

I have an applet which I want to run under various VM's, including the
Microsoft VM that (used to) be part of Internet Explorer.

When I create a font for a component, as so:

    setFont (new Font ("DIALOG", Font.PLAIN, 20));

the font show up just right -- it's 20 units high.  Except when the applet
is running inside the Microsoft VM, which always shows the same, small,
sans-serif font.

Has anyone else experienced this, and found a workaround?

Thanks!

Gregory Hassett

0
Gregory
6/27/2003 3:21:35 PM
comp.lang.java.gui 8286 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Gregory Hassett" <ghassett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an applet which I want to run under various VM's, including the
> Microsoft VM that (used to) be part of Internet Explorer.
>
> When I create a font for a component, as so:
>
>     setFont (new Font ("DIALOG", Font.PLAIN, 20));
>
> the font show up just right -- it's 20 units high.  Except when the applet
> is running inside the Microsoft VM, which always shows the same, small,
> sans-serif font.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this, and found a workaround?

is the font installed on the computer that's running the MS VM?

also try copy that font file into the directory you run your java program
from. (dont know if that will work.)

0
JuddMan
6/27/2003 3:25:36 PM
> > the font show up just right -- it's 20 units high.  Except when the
applet
> > is running inside the Microsoft VM, which always shows the same, small,
> > sans-serif font.

> also try copy that font file into the directory you run your java program
> from. (dont know if that will work.)

It doesn't matter if that works, because that's not the answer to the
question.

The MS VM doesn't do Java Fonts, if you want equal result in all browsers,
then pick a font similar to Dialog

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:21:35 +0200, "Gregory Hassett"
<ghassett@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted :

>the font show up just right -- it's 20 units high.  Except when the applet
>is running inside the Microsoft VM, which always shows the same, small,
>sans-serif font.

I suppose detect you are in the MS vm and use some font that does work
there. See http://mindprod.com/font.html for how to test.

0
Roedy