running a native application inside a java frame

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor, inside a Java
Frame,
so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm looking
for
a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.

Thanks,

Jeff

0
Reply Jeff 11/2/2003 6:12:16 AM

See related articles to this posting

It depends on what you mean as the "app".
Is it some window class sitting in DLL? Or just exe?

Theoretically you can "reparent" any window by SetParent() windows API.
But I think you should find other way.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terra-informatica.org

"Jeff Bronte" <nospamhere@nospam.net> wrote in message
| Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor, inside a Java
| Frame,
| so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm looking
| for
| a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Jeff

0
Reply Andrew 11/2/2003 6:24:46 AM

"Jeff Bronte" wrote:

> Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor,
> inside a Java Frame,
> so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm
> looking for
> a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.

You would have to be extremely lucky if you find a hack to do this.
Judging from your other question I would highly recommend to go for
another language, e.g. some system programming language, or rethink
what you want to do.
0
Reply Harald 11/2/2003 6:27:29 AM

Jeff Bronte wrote:

> Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor, inside a Java
> Frame, so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm
 > looking for a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.

The glassPane is a Swing-only thing and I doubt that you can combine
this with heavy-weight application windows.  If you could restrict
yourself to Windows and your app is an OCX or OLE document that could be
embedded into an OLE container, you could use SWT (UI toolkit from the
eclipse project) to add that app to an SWT window.  You could then add
your graphics in a custom paint() method.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  // "Ist es normal, nur weil alle es tun?" -F4

0
Reply Stefan 11/2/2003 10:18:26 AM

"Jeff Bronte" <nospamhere@nospam.net> wrote in message news:4f1pb.1528$qh2.325@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor, inside a Java
> Frame,
> so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm looking
> for
> a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/awt/1.3/enhancements.html#native

may be your best hope.

0
Reply Sandip 11/2/2003 7:07:42 PM
comp.lang.java.gui 8294 articles. 15 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Connect using Java RMI to a running Java Application
Hi How can you connect to a java application that uses rmi. The rmi allows server and client to communicate. How do you connect to this running server/client application externally? Can LocateRegistry help? Any reference articles will help me to get RMI stuff clearer from the connection viewpoint? On 12 Aug 2004 09:51:42 -0700, vnssoftware wrote: >Hi >How can you connect to a java application that uses rmi. >The rmi allows server and client to communicate. >How do you connect to this running server/client application >externally? You can add the servername to the URL. Naming.l...

Running java client/server application in JBoss (Application Server)
Hi, Can anyone help me how to run an client/server java application in a application server like JBoss? (sorry, I don't know what is the correct term for this) The scenario: I have to connect to an ISO8583 server, and the server require me to send login, echo periodically, in other words, the session is maintained (let's call it ISOThread). I would like to have something like message-driven bean, that will receive a request, and send to this ISOThread to process the request. I can not figure it out, where should this ISOThread live ? in which container ? Better explanation: 1. A Clien...

ANOMALIES TRYING TO COMPILE JAVA CODE FROM WITH IN A RUNNING JAVA APPLICATION
// __ [root@localhost XSD02]# javac javac02.java javac02.java:33: illegal escape character aCmmnd = new String[]{"echo","\$PATH"}; // __ 1. java reachable from within my box' PATH [root@localhost XSD02]# echo $PATH /usr/kerberos/sbin: /usr/kerberos/bin: /usr/local/sbin: /usr/local/bin: /sbin:/bin: /usr/sbin: /usr/bin: /usr/X11R6/bin: /opt/jdk/jdk1.5.0_03/bin: /usr/local/jwsdp-1_6/jaxb/bin: /usr/local/ant/apache-ant-1.6.5/bin: /root/bin [root@localhost bin]# pwd /opt/jdk/jdk1.5.0_03/bin [root@localhost bin]# ls -l java* -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 64492 Apr 13 06:55 j...

Java handhelds to power the USPS
If you thought java was only robust on the server - think again. When the Northeast lost power last year and paralyzed a large part of the economy in the area, the mail still got through - thanks in large part to java-based RIM Blackberry handhelds. -------------------------------- Postal managers maintained communications using BlackBerry devices from Research in Motion Ltd. of Waterloo, Ontario, to make sure the mail got through. We couldnt get hold of the mail-processing plants because there was no electricity or phone service, but the BlackBerry network worked, USPS vice pr...

Unix help: How to hold a SAS run subsequent to run of another application inside SAS
Hello, I am Unix user. I tried to run an application inside SAS. I need to use the output from the application in a subsequent SAS run. I need to hold the subsequent SAS run until runing the application is done. The problem is that when I tried to run together, the subsequent SAS program always picked up incomplete output. It seems like two applications are running simulatenously. How I can hold SAS run? Thanks. Hi, I know your last line says "running simultaneously". I'm wondering if you might mean running sequentially? (i.e. same SAS job, just multiple steps or procs) In a...

Metrowerks Java Application Will Not Run The Compiled .java Files (Mac OS 9)
CodeWarrior IDE 3.2 PowerBook G3 - Mac OS 9.1 I'm a Java programming novice, and I'm using this old pre-J2SE version of Java together with this old version of CodeWarrior. My programs are simple. So, it's all I need for now. The problem I have is the inability to run compiled Java code. The problem also occurs with the default place-holding class TrivialApplication.java. When I try to run the compiled .java files, the Metrowerks Java application launches. The application window appears with the correct class name (in which the main method exists) already filled in the ...

Re: Unix help: How to hold a SAS run subsequent to run of another application inside SAS
Hi, I know your last line says "running simultaneously". I'm wondering if you might mean running sequentially? (i.e. same SAS job, just multiple steps or procs) In any case, if you have one SAS job with multiple steps, and are executing an external application via the X command for example, the OPTION XWAIT XSYNC are just the ticket, or whatever combination of XWAIT XSYNC NOXWAIT NOXSYNC fits your needs the best. If you truly have timing issues or are running multiple jobs, you may have to create your own semaphoring by crudely creating the existence of a file, testing for it...

Re: Unix help: How to hold a SAS run subsequent to run of another application inside SAS #2
Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: > I am Unix user. > I tried to run an application inside SAS. > I need to use the output from the application in a subsequent SAS run. > I need to hold the subsequent SAS run until runing the application is done. > The problem is that when I tried to run together, the subsequent SAS program always picked up incomplete output. > It seems like two applications are running simulatenously. First off, do you really need to run an external process, or would it be easier to do that part of the work in SAS as well? (Just a thought, ...

No app frame for Java application
I have several GUI-based Java (1.4.2) applications that I run under Win32. No problem. However, when I move that application to my Linux box (RH8.0) and rebuild, the applications no longer have a "main application frame" - no minimiz/maximiz/close buttons. Nor do they have a resizing frame. Becuase of this, I can't resize, reposition, or close an application. I never had this problem before with older versions of Java and older versions of RH Linux. What am I doing wrong? Am Wed, 19 Nov 2003 04:35:31 GMT hat Liam Fry <wtf@nyc.rr.com> geschrieben: > I have severa...

Running Java Application in MATLAB
Can somebody render advice on how can I run a Java application in MATLAB? I tried to compile and run a Java program in MATLAB, but I did not have any success. What should I do if I want to run the following (simple) program in MATLAB? public class HelloWorld { public static void main(String[] args) { System.out.println("Hello World"); } } I hope that if I can do this, I will be able to run my Java application for optimizing a telecommunication network, and run the MATLAB script to plot its result in MATLAB. Thank you. "Sachin Vishisht" <sachin_vishisht...

Exceptions while running Java Applications -- what to do?
When I attempt to run a Java client on Windows XP Pro with Jdk1.5.0_06_b05, I get an error in javaw.exe mod Name symcjit.dll version 3.10.0.107 at an offset of 00051974 After saying not to send the error to Microsoft, I get a second error that seems to be exactly the same. Dismissing the second error, I get to the client and it behaves as it does on other Windows XP Pro .machines. How do I find out what the problem is? Note that I have uninstalled Sun Java and re-installed it. Two other facts may help in diagnosis: 1. In control panel, I have 4 entries labeled Java Plug-in Control Panel: 1...

No app frame for Java application
I have several GUI-based Java (1.4.2) applications that I run under Win32. No problem. However, when I move that application to my Linux box (RH8.0) and rebuild, the applications no longer have a "main application frame" - no minimiz/maximiz/close buttons. Nor do they have a resizing frame. Becuase of this, I can't resize, reposition, or close an application. I never had this problem before with older versions of Java and older versions of RH Linux. What am I doing wrong? Liam Fry wrote: > I have several GUI-based Java (1.4.2) applications that I run under Win32. >...

How to run a java application from VC++?
I have a java application named mmi.jar. There is an environment variable, i.e. MYJAVA_HOME which is my java home path. With Windows cmd, it can run using the following commnad line: > %MYJAVA_HOME%\bin\java mmi.SetupCapture Can I run this java application from VC++? Pls help me. Thank you! "Allen" <chenal@naritech.cn> wrote in message news:1157029591.348337.195180@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... >I have a java application named mmi.jar. There is an environment > variable, i.e. MYJAVA_HOME which is my java home path. > > With Windows cmd, it can run using t...

Running java applications on any platform
If a java application is successfully compiled to a .class file, what else is needed to run the application on another platform (assuming the platform has a JVM)? To put it simply, I compile my application, put the .class file on a CD Rom. Load the .class file onto another PC that does not have a SDK. What else do I need to do? I don't want to have to turn the application into an applet. Many thanks for any help. Rob Hadow PS Now that I have just passed the SCJP1.2 I want to gain some practical experience, as I have none! Hi Rob, rob hadow schrieb: > If a java application is su...

No app frame for Java application
I have several GUI-based Java (1.4.2) applications that I run under Win32. No problem. However, when I move that application to my Linux box (RH8.0) and rebuild, the applications no longer have a "main application frame" - no minimiz/maximiz/close buttons. Nor do they have a resizing frame. Becuase of this, I can't resize, reposition, or close an application. I never had this problem before with older versions of Java and older versions of RH Linux. What am I doing wrong? ...

Running a standalone application in a Java GUI
I am attempting to integrate several small standalone, open-sourceapplications (C++) into a single Java GUI. I have created a JFrame andseveral JDesktopPanes that I envisioned containing the applications. Icurrently am creating a Process and calling Runtime.getRunTime().exec(C++appplication.exe <remoteAddress>/<remote port>). This results in theOS environment running the application on Desktop...not in theJDesktopPane. My questions:1) Is it possible to run the .exe inside a container?2) The .exec has an environment parameter...can this be manipulated torun inside the JDesktopPane?...

Run VBS within Java Application
Hi all, I am currently developing an application in java. In order for the program to get data that it needs it needs to run a script. The script is a VBS script. But I am not sure how I can get this script to run when I press a button. If anyone could help me in this matter I would be very greatful. Thank you. Christopher_board@yahoo.co.uk wrote: ... >I am currently developing an application in java. In order for the >program to get data that it needs it needs to run a script. The script >is a VBS script. But I am not sure how I can get this script to run >when I press a butto...

Calling Java from Javscript (inside frames)
What I'm basically trying to do is call a Java applet public method ( public void setInterval(int i) {...} ) from javascript in Firfox 1.0.7. I've not done this before but most of google agrees that I should call it this way: document.CameraViewer.setInterval(t); That's if I were to call it outside frames. When I googled search for frames it suggested that I use the object name and form name also: document.formCamCtl.objCamCtl.WebCamViewer.setInterval(t); Now I looked at that and started to get confused because I'm working with framesets & frames (not by choice). Now W...

Using Java classes from Native Applications
Hi,Is it possible to access and utilize Java classes from a nativeWindows application, specifically one written in Delphi. There issome functionality that exists in Java classes and to avoid having tore-write this logic in Delphi again, is there a way to "re-use" theseclasses.Any help would be welcome.Thanks,Shubeer On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 04:50:22 -0800 (PST), shubeer wrote:> Is it possible to access and utilize Java classes from a native> Windows application, specifically one written in Delphi. There is> some functionality that exists in Java classes and to avoid having> to...

more than one java script running in the same frame?
Is it possible to run two java scripts in the same frame? I am trying to have a DHTML menu, and a vertical marque appear in the same frame, one above the other. If it is, or otherwise, could someone help me figure it out? TIA Jamie :) JBURROWS@neo.rr.com wrote: > Is it possible to run two java scripts in the same frame? If you mean JavaScript( script)s, since Java != JavaScript: Of course. > I am trying to have a DHTML menu, What about users without client-side script support? > and a vertical marque appear in the same frame, one above the > other. > > [...] cou...

natively compiling kde java application
Hello, I have been lately trying to extend gilt (a Java KDE application) to be a full Gutenberg text reader. I have been trying to natively compile it with gcj but while the compilation itself goes along nicely, at linking time I get some ugly messages. I wonder if anybody already natively compiled an Java KDE application and if he/she could provide me with an example Makefile. Thank you very much in advance. Adrian. Adrian Petru Dimulescu wrote: > I have been lately trying to extend gilt (a Java KDE application) to be a > full Gutenberg text reader. > > I have been trying to...

Using ant inside a java application?
Hi, I have written a source generator which, the name points out :-), generates source code. Now I want to compile the output and do some other stuff with the class files. I have an ant build.xml which has the necessary tasks, but I don't know how to call them from inside my application. I looked at the manual and the javadocs of ant, but it doesn't brought me any further.... Any suggestions? Greetz, Marc Hi, Look at the scripts that launch ant (bat, sh) They all call the class org.apache.tools.ant.Main followed by usual options. This (and maybe ant sources) may help you ...

Running other applications from inside a Delphi app.
I can't seem to find the system call that allows me to launch a windows command line application with arguments. Essentially I need to run a PIC programmer from an application that modifies the hex file with a new serial number. The EPIC progammmeer software can be command line driven and will return success but I need to launch it from within the Delphi app. Suggestions? Thanks John John Dammeyer wrote: > I can't seem to find the system call that allows me to launch a > windows command line application with arguments. Question 1 from the FAQ. http://www...

running java in linux stopping other applications
Dear Sir(s), I am using a javaprogram which will send comands through serial port and get response for the commands it had sent.I am running the program in linux .It works fine if the program alone is active.If I open a browser or if I open a terminal or some other application the program does not get the responses correctly.Is there any way to stop multitasking of linux.I am using Redhat Linux Enterprise edition 3.I want linux not to allow any other program (other my application) to run.We feel because of timesharing between the applications only we are not able to receive the respo...