running a native application inside a java frame

Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor, inside a Java
Frame,
so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm looking
for
a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.

Thanks,

Jeff

0
Jeff
11/2/2003 6:12:16 AM
comp.lang.java.gui 8282 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

It depends on what you mean as the "app".
Is it some window class sitting in DLL? Or just exe?

Theoretically you can "reparent" any window by SetParent() windows API.
But I think you should find other way.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terra-informatica.org

"Jeff Bronte" <nospamhere@nospam.net> wrote in message
| Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor, inside a Java
| Frame,
| so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm looking
| for
| a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Jeff

0
Andrew
11/2/2003 6:24:46 AM
"Jeff Bronte" wrote:

> Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor,
> inside a Java Frame,
> so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm
> looking for
> a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.

You would have to be extremely lucky if you find a hack to do this.
Judging from your other question I would highly recommend to go for
another language, e.g. some system programming language, or rethink
what you want to do.
0
Harald
11/2/2003 6:27:29 AM
Jeff Bronte wrote:

> Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor, inside a Java
> Frame, so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm
 > looking for a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.

The glassPane is a Swing-only thing and I doubt that you can combine
this with heavy-weight application windows.  If you could restrict
yourself to Windows and your app is an OCX or OLE document that could be
embedded into an OLE container, you could use SWT (UI toolkit from the
eclipse project) to add that app to an SWT window.  You could then add
your graphics in a custom paint() method.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  // "Ist es normal, nur weil alle es tun?" -F4

0
Stefan
11/2/2003 10:18:26 AM
"Jeff Bronte" <nospamhere@nospam.net> wrote in message news:4f1pb.1528$qh2.325@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Is it possible to run a standard native app, like an editor, inside a Java
> Frame,
> so that I can use the 'glass pane' to overlay the application? I'm looking
> for
> a way to put Java popup menus over native apps.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/awt/1.3/enhancements.html#native

may be your best hope.

0
Sandip