java error message java.io not found in import

Hi i'm trying to run a code like but i'm getting all the time the same
error
Class java.io not found in import
import Java.io

i guess the problem is that i dont have the header in the include
folder,doenst anyone have solution for me?
0
yaniv.dg (61)

thread wrote:
> Hi i'm trying to run a code like but i'm getting all the time the same
> error
> Class java.io not found in import
> import Java.io

1. Capitalization matters. The package name is `java.io', not `Java.io'
2. The first-person subjective pronoun is `I', not `i'.
3. There is no class `java.io'; there is a package `java.io' which
contains such useful classes as Reader or Writer... Perhaps you wanted
to import all of java.io, in which case the syntax is `import java.io.*'

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
0
Pidgeot18 (1520)
5/15/2009 12:48:40 PM
On May 15, 9:55=A0pm, thread <yaniv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...i'm trying to run a code like but i'm getting all the time the same
> error
> Class java.io not found in import
> import Java.io
>
> i guess the problem is that i dont have the header in the include
> folder,doenst anyone have solution for me?

Try starting here(1) and here(2)

(1) <http://pscode.org/javafaq.html#exact>
(2) <http://pscode.org/sscce.html>

For example, this is an SSCCE..
<SSCCE>
import java.io;

class TestCompile {
}
</SSCCE>

...and here is the *exact* error message

<OP>
Running tool: Java Compile

/media/all/TestCompile.java:1: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class io
location: package java
import java.io;
           ^
1 error
</OP>

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org
On May 15, 9:00=A0am, Andrew Thompson <andrewtho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 15, 9:55=A0pm, thread <yaniv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...i'm trying to run a code like but i'm getting all the time the same
> > error
> > Class java.io not found in import
> > import Java.io
>
> > i guess the problem is that i dont have the header in the include
> > folder,doenst anyone have solution for me?
>
> Try starting here(1) and here(2)
>
> (1) <http://pscode.org/javafaq.html#exact>
> (2) <http://pscode.org/sscce.html>
>
> For example, this is an SSCCE..
> <SSCCE>
> import java.io;
>
> class TestCompile {}
>
> </SSCCE>
>
> ..and here is the *exact* error message
>
> <OP>
> Running tool: Java Compile
>
> /media/all/TestCompile.java:1: cannot find symbol
> symbol =A0: class io
> location: package java
> import java.io;
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0^
> 1 error
> </OP>
>
> --
> Andrew T.
> pscode.org

Hi thread,
I add this advice to that which is given above.
This may be your first program in Java. Know that in this computer
language that capitalization or lack of it matters.
An "import java.io.*;" is not the same as =93import Java.io.*;=94
It may be a good idea to start by looking at examples provided by
your
recent download of your IDE and copy paste an example
program into your IDE, compile and run it. If it does run then change
a few letters from lower case letters to upper case letters or
vise versa, compile it to see where the errors are. Replace your
typing changes one at a time back to the original example and note the
effects
of lowering the number of errors. I believe that you created the
errors
by the capitalization or lack of it.

bH

0
bherbst65 (267)
5/15/2009 1:24:42 PM
On 15 =D7=9E=D7=90=D7=99, 14:48, Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeo...@verizon.invalid>=
 wrote:
> thread wrote:
> > Hi i'm trying to run a code like but i'm getting all the time the same
> > error
> > Class java.io not found in import
> > import Java.io
>
> 1. Capitalization matters. The package name is `java.io', not `Java.io'
> 2. The first-person subjective pronoun is `I', not `i'.
> 3. There is no class `java.io'; there is a package `java.io' which
> contains such useful classes as Reader or Writer... Perhaps you wanted
> to import all of java.io, in which case the syntax is `import java.io.*'
>
> --
> Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
> tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

its not the problem
0
yaniv.dg (61)
5/15/2009 8:40:55 PM
In article
<0edf6124-dea0-4ed6-a411-d624ef0db803@s28g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
 thread <yaniv.dg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 ��Ȩ�14:48��Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeo...@verizon.invalid> wrote�
> > thread wrote:
> > > Hi i'm trying to run a code like but i'm getting all the time the same
> > > error
> > > Class java.io not found in import
> > > import Java.io
> > >
> > 1. Capitalization matters. The package name is `java.io', not `Java.io'
> > 2. The first-person subjective pronoun is `I', not `i'.
> > 3. There is no class `java.io'; there is a package `java.io' which
> > contains such useful classes as Reader or Writer... Perhaps you wanted
> > to import all of java.io, in which case the syntax is `import java.io.*'

> its not the problem

Perhaps you could post a short example demonstrating the problem.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

dgeo...@verizon.invalid> wrote=E2=80=A0

> > > 1. Capitalization matters. The package name is `java.io', not `Java.i=
o'
> > > 2. The first-person subjective pronoun is `I', not `i'.
> > > 3. There is no class `java.io'; there is a package `java.io' which
> > > contains such useful classes as Reader or Writer... Perhaps you wante=
> > > to import all of java.io, in which case the syntax is `import java.io=
..*'
> > its not the problem
>
> Perhaps you could post a short example demonstrating the problem.
>
> --
> John B. Matthews
> trashgod at gmail dot com
> <http://sites.google.com/site/drjohnbmatthews>

i found the problem,it was suppose to be import java.il.* ,thank you
for all your help
0
yaniv.dg (61)
5/15/2009 10:04:55 PM
On Fri, 15 May 2009 04:55:56 -0700 (PDT), thread <yaniv.dg@gmail.com>

>Class java.io not found in import
>import Java.io

see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/compileerrormessages.html#CLASSNOTFOUNDINIMPORT
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"It wasn�t the Exxon Valdez captain�s driving that caused the Alaskan oil spill. It was yours."
~ Greenpeace advertisement New York Times 1990-02-25
0
see_website (5876)

to use import java.lang.* or import java.lang.Math or none at all?
Hi guys, i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a matter at all? the answer to this post will definitely affect my programming style in the future when i'm considering "to import or not to import"... hmm,,, thanks in advance. JPractitioner wrote: > i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the > compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, > should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action > will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a > matter at all? Whether and how you import classes has exactly zero effect at runtime. Imports (with or without wildcards) are only a kind of abbreviation provided by the compiler to save us the effort of typing in fully-qualified type names every time. In theory explicit importing should make compilation faster -- by a very tiny amount. I've never heard anyone claim that they've even managed to measure a difference let alone found a case where it made a practical difference. So the question comes down to how to write your code for maximum clarity. One school of thought asserts that you should always import each class explicitly (rather than by a wildcard). There's a fai...

Java Java
Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. Working on a second right now. Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS. It will be at www.black-and-company.com tab wrote: > Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. > Working on a second right now. > > Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS. > > It will be at www.black-and-company.com > Wasn't that the whole point of Lindows? Oh, right, we didn't care for that either. tab wrote: > Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. > Working on a second right now. > > Coming out with a ...

Java in Java
Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a desktop Java app? -- Dirk http://www.transcendence.me.uk/ - Transcendence UK http://www.theconsensus.org/ - A UK political party http://www.onetribe.me.uk/wordpress/?cat=5 - Our podcasts on weird stuff Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote: > Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a > desktop Java app? > Quite likely, but you won't necessarily get the same security model, unless you were careful about it. -- Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/&g...

java.io.File to java.lang.String
What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by ajava.io.File object into a String? Benjamin wrote:> What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by a> java.io.File object into a String?> You don't specify what you consider best so how about simple as best? Now for my curiosity, why would you want to do this?import java.io.*;public class test { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); File f = new File(args[0]); FileInputStream fis = new ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these commands: # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object # ls /usr/jdk/instances/ jdk1.5.0 jdk1.6.0 # uname -a SunOS sun1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 Please help to fix the error. Thanks. TsanChung wrote: > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > commands: > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > Error occurred during initialization of VM > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object It's missing or can't find rt.jar, right? How does the Solaris version find it's runtime files? Can you show us where rt.jar is? On Aug 20, 6:24=A0pm, Mark Space <marksp...@sbc.global.net> wrote: > TsanChung wrote: > > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > > commands: > > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > > Error occurred during initialization of VM > > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object > > It'...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type o...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Hi, I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help me. Below is the stack trace. Stack Trace: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.SQLAllocEnv(Native Method) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<init>(DB2Driver.java:245) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<clinit>(DB2Driver.java:130) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:120) Thanks in advance, Ganesh Majji ganesh.m@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I > don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help > me. Unfortunately my crystal bowl stays dark because you didn't mentioned your operating system and which DB2 version you're using. For Windows, *nix and OS/2 please ensure that your application is using the db2java.zip from SQLLIB\java. Check if there are multiple db2jdbc.dll on your system, remove any extra db2jdbc.dll files on the system. Ensure that you can connect to DB2 with the DB2 workstation tools from your machine. sorry for not mentioning the system details. Operation System is SunOS (Solaris) and DB2 SDK 8.2.2 Thank you very much for the kind response, Ganesh Bernd Hohmann wrote: > ganesh.m@gmail...

java.io.FileReader and java.io.FileWriter encoding
Hi, I recently changed the hosting for my website (from Linux to Linux) and now I'm experiencing some trouble with java.io.FileReader and java.io.FileWriter: their getEncoding() method returns ASCII (returned ISO8859_1 on the previuos host). I've set -Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1 but nothing has changed, except that javax.mail.internet.MimeUtility.getDefaultJavaCharset() effectively returns ISO-8859-1. Does anyone know how the default encoding is selected? I report some system properties: file.encoding.pkg: sun.io user.country: US java.runtime.version: 1.4.2_04-b05 os.version: 2...

cast java.io.PushbackReader to java.io.Reader?
Hi all, I have a function in Matlab that makes a database call and returns a java.io.Reader instance. Matlab seems to automatically convert this to a PushbackReader. Is there a way to force it to remain as just a Reader, or cast it to a Reader after the fact? Here's what it looks like: try xmlReader = myDBClient.read(java.lang.String(myXMLDocumentIdentifierString)) ... catch display([lasterr]); end result: xmlReader 1x1 java.io.PushbackReader where DBClient.read() signature is: public Reader read(String xmlDocumentIdentifier) {} The XML document identifier i...

hey i am just started java,, can anyone tell me the use , application, why java , importance of java..
hey i am just started java,, can anyone tell me the use , application,why java , importance of java.. "manish sahu" <rocky_msit@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:77dcb69d-953e-454f-8411-7947b75aad78@q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...> hey i am just started java,, can anyone tell me the use , application,> why java , importance of java..1st learn Java - then the other languages - and in no time you'll see. On 13 Feb., 21:00, manish sahu <rocky_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:> hey i am just started java,, can anyone tell me the use , application,> why java , importance o...

XML-RPC
Hello, I am getting an error "XML-RPC - java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.Date" when I call the "XmlRpcClient" execute method. I believe the underlying classes are having trouble parsing the result from the time.xmlrpc.com/RPC2:80 XML-RPC service. I apologize that I could not navigate the Apache bug reporting and search system. I hope someone can recognize what is up with this. Thank you in advance for any help, Michael import java.util.Vector; import java.util.Hashtable; import org.apache.xmlrpc.*; public class GetTime { private final static String serv...

Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please reply with YES or NO.
Hi, Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments after it if you wish. I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. Kind regards, Paka Paka Small wrote: > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > java.lang.reflect.Method? It's not subject to vote. It's defined by the language. You might as well ask, "Is 'int' a primitive or a reference type?". Your vote will not change reality. > Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments > after it if you wish. > > I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. And what exactly do you hope to accomplish by this exercise? Distinguish who knows Java from those who don't? A method is not a class, and a class is not a method. That's reality in Java. The law of gravity is not subject to repeal by opinion, and neither is this. Instead of wasting your time and trying to waste ours conducting meaningless polls, why don't you read the material linked upthread and learn the truth for yourself? Learn the truth and it will set you free, or at least keep you from making errors like claiming that methods and classes are the same in Java. -- Lew On 5 feb, 20:38, Lew <lewbl...@gmail.com> wrote: > Paka Small wrote: > > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > > java.lang.reflect.Method? > > It's not sub...

java.security.AccessControlException:access denied (java.io.FilePermission help.txt read)
Hello to everyone, i have written a java applet. I use Jcreator.My applet runs successfully both with appletviewer and jcreator. However when i test my applet in browsers(IE,MOZILLA) i 'm always getting the error message applet notinited.Then i open JavaConsole and i see the error message: "java.security.AccessControlException:access denied (java.io.FilePermission help.txt read)". Help.txt is a text file which feeds help text to a TEXTAREA of my applet. I've tried the java policytool but i didn't solve the problem yet. Thanks in advance Thanasis ...

Compiling Java from Java
I wish to write a Java program which can compile and run java source code. Can this be done without resorting to OS-specific calls to javac? I've seen suggestions that Ant might allow me to do this, but I've looking through the Ant manual, I can't see anything about it. Any hints? Malcolm Malcolm Ryan wrote: > I wish to write a Java program which can compile and run java source > code. Can this be done without resorting to OS-specific calls to javac? > I've seen suggestions that Ant might allow me to do this, but I've > looking through the Ant manual, I can&#...

java to java networking
I have not written any socket code before or done any RMI. I'd like to do the developer certification and also I have my own project waiting in the wings that would benefit from this. The latter is my primary concern. I have a distibuted java application (is this the right term?) that exists on many users PCs on a network. This is essentially just gui code. I then have a central java 'server' application that applies the model & all the business rules. The view application needs to deal just with the business app, which in turn deals with the data layer, MySQL, Flatfile or ...

java.io.WriteAbortedException: writing aborted; java.io.NotSerializableException:
I have an application that came to a grinding halt yesterday for no apparent reason. After looking into it I discovered that the file system had reached its capacity. My java guru is on holidays and wont be back for a week so I have been left to try and resolve this in his absence. In the tomcat logs directory the file "localhost_log-YYY-MM-DD.txt" is growing to 45MB in size every day. When looking into the file it contains the same error message over and over again: java.io.WriteAbortedException: writing aborted; java.io.NotSerializableException: I have checked the Catalina.lo...

java error after OSX java update
Hello all, sorry this is not much of a stats problem, more a computer problem, but I can't find anything about this error on the internet anywhere so thought I'd try here. Basically, the OS X software update system told me there were some updates available this morning (one of which was a Java update). After installing and re-starting, SPSS 16.0.2.1 would not start up again, giving an error: "Cannot launch Java application, Uncaught exception in main method: java.lang.AbstractMethodError: com.spss.java_client.ui.B.=C1(Z)V" Hmmmm.... No idea at all what that might mean, except that it looks like it has something to do with Java.. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks! On May 7, 5:40 am, Hamish <hinnesbr...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello all, sorry this is not much of a stats problem, more a computer > problem, but I can't find anything about this error on the internet > anywhere so thought I'd try here. > > Basically, the OS X software update system told me there were some > updates available this morning (one of which was a Java update). > After installing and re-starting, SPSS 16.0.2.1 would not start up > again, giving an error: > > "Cannot launch Java application, Uncaught exception in main method: > java.lang.AbstractMethodError: com.spss.java_client.ui.B.=C1(Z)V" > > Hmmmm.... No idea at all what that might mean, except that it looks > like it has somethi...

java.lang vs java.util
Surprising to see something defined in java.lang <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on something defined in java.util <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > Surprising to see something defined in java.lang > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on > something defined in java.util > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. > > Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? I think Iterable may make it into java.lang because of its significance in the foreach statement. Patricia On 04/02/2011 12:23 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote: > On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: >> Surprising to see something defined in java.lang >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on >> something defined in java.util >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. >> >> Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? Not if it wants to be consistent with http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/ don't'cha think? And the so-called "hierarchy" of java.util and java.lang is that they are equal. The language reserves for itself the entire panoply of java.* and javax.* packages. > I think It...

modifying java.lang.String.java
Hi, I'm trying to modify java.lang.String.java and add the modified String.class to rt.jar [THIS IS FOR MYSELF ONLY AND WILL NOT BE DEPLOYED]. I cannot add "private final boolean tainted[] = new boolean[5];" to String.java. If I do, it still compiles and I can add it to rt.jar and compile a test program against it. However, the JVM crashes with a strange message: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: name can't be empty at java.security.BasicPermission.init(Unknown Source) at java.security.BasicPermission.<init>(Unknown Source) at java....

Help debugging Java code with Java 1.3.1_01 Java HotSpot Client VM (jvm.dll)
Hi everybody, I am seeking help in my attempt to configure proper debugging functionality for my classes with an application on a win32 platform that uses Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (JRE 1.3.1_01 - jvm.dll). For those of you that may actually know this application, it is Matlab. For those not familiar, it is an executable that links jvm.dll. I have a number of Java IDEs (Sun ONE Studio, JBuilder, NetBeans) and I would appreciate help in setting up at least one of them to be able to debug my classes. Does anybody have an idea where to start? I think I have figured out a way to pass...

Web resources about - java error message java.io not found in import - comp.lang.java.help

Message - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A message is a discrete unit of communication intended by the source for consumption by some recipient or group of recipients. A message may ...

Grindr founder Joel Simkhai has a Mardi Gras message for Malcolm Turnbull
Gay entrepreneur urges Turnbull government to support equality. Grindr gay dating app founder Joel Simkhai is in Sydney for his first Mardi Gras ...

Shaun Kenny-Dowall texts: The explicit messages to and from Jessica Peris - DailyTelegraph Search Search ...
HE scolded her for taking cocaine, accused her of cheating on him and threatened to throw her out of his house.

Apple releases OS X 10.11.4 beta 6 with improved Messages, Notes, and more
Just ahead of its expected release later this month, Apple has released the sixth OS X 10.11.4 developer beta for Mac users to test. The update ...

Anonymous hacks Donald Trump's voicemail and leaks the messages
In the run-up to the presidential election, few days go by when Donald Trump isn't hitting the headlines for something he's said or done. The ...

A Message From Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of Her other Realms ...
By Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender ...

Do Twitter direct messages boost sales?
One of the ‘best practices’ touted by social media ‘experts’ is to never use direct messaging features in a social network to advertise. This ...

Educators update anti-bullying messages to protect Muslims
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) — In response to a surge in reports of anti-Muslim bullying — students being called terrorists, having their head scarves ...

Great Tits Use Syntax to Chirp Complex Messages
The birds use complex syntax in their calls to convey two meanings at once.

Pandora will let bands insert voice messages into your music stream
Social media has increasingly broken down the walls between musicians and their fans, allowing bands to have more direct conversations with the ...