java.lang errors

I have a program that takes in data from the user, calculates the data and is
supposed to display the results in a window. The program compiles and the
user is able to type in data, but when you click the calculate button, the
errors that come up are the following:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Enter Length"
        at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString
(NumberFormatException.
java:48)
        at Program81$ButtonHandler.actionPerformed(Program81.java:38)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:
17
86)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed
(Abstra
ctButton.java:1839)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed
(DefaultButtonModel
..java:420)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:
258
)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased
(BasicButtonL
istener.java:245)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5100)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:
3483
)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:
3198)

        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3128)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1613)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy
(EventDispatchTh
read.java:201)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
(EventDispatchThre
ad.java:151)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:
145)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:
137)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

The code that the error is referencing is:

	private class ButtonHandler implements ActionListener {

			public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent event)  {

				rectangle r = new rectangle();

				r.setWidth(Integer.parseInt(dataWidth.getText()));

				r.setLength(Integer.parseInt(enterLength.getText()));

				calculateArea.setText("The area of your rectangle is " + r.calcArea());

				calculatePerim.setText("The perimeter of your rectangle is " + r.
calcPerimeter());
			}
	}//end of action handler

What is the cause of this and how do I remedy it? I have no experience with
IO. thank you so much for your help.

--
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
cannot read them."

janicethorne

Integer.parseInt returns this NumberFormatException error if the input
is not numeric.

>From the error it appears that enterLength.getText() returns the string
"Enter Length" which means the user has not entered a proper number.
You can either check if the string is numeric first, or enclose it in a
try{} catch{} block with a handler to catch NumberFormatExceptions.

0
fuzzybr80 (10)

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these commands: # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object # ls /usr/jdk/instances/ jdk1.5.0 jdk1.6.0 # uname -a SunOS sun1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 Please help to fix the error. Thanks. TsanChung wrote: > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > commands: > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > Error occurred during initialization of VM > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object It's missing or can't find rt.jar, right? How does the Solaris version find it's runtime files? Can you show us where rt.jar is? On Aug 20, 6:24=A0pm, Mark Space <marksp...@sbc.global.net> wrote: > TsanChung wrote: > > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > > commands: > > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > > Error occurred during initialization of VM > > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object > > It'...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type o...

Hi, I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help me. Below is the stack trace. Stack Trace: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.SQLAllocEnv(Native Method) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<init>(DB2Driver.java:245) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<clinit>(DB2Driver.java:130) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:120) Thanks in advance, Ganesh Majji ganesh.m@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I > don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help > me. Unfortunately my crystal bowl stays dark because you didn't mentioned your operating system and which DB2 version you're using. For Windows, *nix and OS/2 please ensure that your application is using the db2java.zip from SQLLIB\java. Check if there are multiple db2jdbc.dll on your system, remove any extra db2jdbc.dll files on the system. Ensure that you can connect to DB2 with the DB2 workstation tools from your machine. sorry for not mentioning the system details. Operation System is SunOS (Solaris) and DB2 SDK 8.2.2 Thank you very much for the kind response, Ganesh Bernd Hohmann wrote: > ganesh.m@gmail...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

to use import java.lang.* or import java.lang.Math or none at all?
Hi guys, i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a matter at all? the answer to this post will definitely affect my programming style in the future when i'm considering "to import or not to import"... hmm,,, thanks in advance. JPractitioner wrote: > i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the > compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, > should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action > will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a > matter at all? Whether and how you import classes has exactly zero effect at runtime. Imports (with or without wildcards) are only a kind of abbreviation provided by the compiler to save us the effort of typing in fully-qualified type names every time. In theory explicit importing should make compilation faster -- by a very tiny amount. I've never heard anyone claim that they've even managed to measure a difference let alone found a case where it made a practical difference. So the question comes down to how to write your code for maximum clarity. One school of thought asserts that you should always import each class explicitly (rather than by a wildcard). There's a fai...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
Hi, I'm trying to use the httpclient within Jython (see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/ for more information on the httpclient). My Jython version is: Jython 2.1 on java1.4.2_04 (JIT: null) My Java version is: java version "1.4.2_04" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode) My CLASSPATH includes: jdom.jar xerces.jar jython.jar jt400.jar log4j-1.2.8.jar commons-httpclient-2.0.jar When I just try to perform the import statements from example code I get the error pasted below....

CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error. My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass". Thank you, compile: run: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at javax.swing.JTable$BooleanRenderer.getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable.java:5412) at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5735) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableU...

XML-RPC
Hello, I am getting an error "XML-RPC - java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.Date" when I call the "XmlRpcClient" execute method. I believe the underlying classes are having trouble parsing the result from the time.xmlrpc.com/RPC2:80 XML-RPC service. I apologize that I could not navigate the Apache bug reporting and search system. I hope someone can recognize what is up with this. Thank you in advance for any help, Michael import java.util.Vector; import java.util.Hashtable; import org.apache.xmlrpc.*; public class GetTime { private final static String serv...

java matlab error: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
Hello Im using matlab 2010 and 2007 with windows 7 and i have install the new java. Matlab array editor doesnt work right even though i can see the values of an array in the workspace when i try to edit them in the variable editor i cant see the values and i get an error: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException at com.mathworks.mlwidgets.array.ValueTableModel.setValuesAt(ValueTableModel.java:195) at com.mathworks.mlwidgets.array.ValueTableModel.setValueAt(ValueTableModel.java:190) at com.mathworks.widgets.spreadsheet.ResizingTableModelWrapper.s...

modifying java.lang.String.java
Hi, I'm trying to modify java.lang.String.java and add the modified String.class to rt.jar [THIS IS FOR MYSELF ONLY AND WILL NOT BE DEPLOYED]. I cannot add "private final boolean tainted[] = new boolean[5];" to String.java. If I do, it still compiles and I can add it to rt.jar and compile a test program against it. However, the JVM crashes with a strange message: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: name can't be empty at java.security.BasicPermission.init(Unknown Source) at java.security.BasicPermission.<init>(Unknown Source) at java....

java.lang vs java.util
Surprising to see something defined in java.lang <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on something defined in java.util <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > Surprising to see something defined in java.lang > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on > something defined in java.util > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. > > Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? I think Iterable may make it into java.lang because of its significance in the foreach statement. Patricia On 04/02/2011 12:23 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote: > On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: >> Surprising to see something defined in java.lang >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on >> something defined in java.util >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. >> >> Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? Not if it wants to be consistent with http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/ don't'cha think? And the so-called "hierarchy" of java.util and java.lang is that they are equal. The language reserves for itself the entire panoply of java.* and javax.* packages. > I think It...

Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please reply with YES or NO.
Hi, Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments after it if you wish. I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. Kind regards, Paka Paka Small wrote: > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > java.lang.reflect.Method? It's not subject to vote. It's defined by the language. You might as well ask, "Is 'int' a primitive or a reference type?". Your vote will not change reality. > Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments > after it if you wish. > > I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. And what exactly do you hope to accomplish by this exercise? Distinguish who knows Java from those who don't? A method is not a class, and a class is not a method. That's reality in Java. The law of gravity is not subject to repeal by opinion, and neither is this. Instead of wasting your time and trying to waste ours conducting meaningless polls, why don't you read the material linked upthread and learn the truth for yourself? Learn the truth and it will set you free, or at least keep you from making errors like claiming that methods and classes are the same in Java. -- Lew On 5 feb, 20:38, Lew <lewbl...@gmail.com> wrote: > Paka Small wrote: > > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > > java.lang.reflect.Method? > > It's not sub...

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError when running java tests
Hi, When execute the junit test we get: java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError at se.company.wcdma.rbs.boam.pms.impl.RBScanner.preperAndPush(RBScanner.java:526) at se.company.wcdma.rbs.boam.pms.impl.RBScanner.scan(RBScanner.java:766) at se.company.wcdma.rbs.boam.mao.rmo.iub.tb.sut.IubDataStreamMoImplTest.testNewCounters(IubDataStreamMoImplTest.java:254) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:22) at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:19) at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:23) 0.086 testOldCounters Error N/A Any ideas what IncompatibleClassChangeError is and how we can correct it? Cheers, //mikael The cause for this is probably that the RBScanner classes depends on another class which has changed. This can happen if you didn't perform a full recompile of the sources. Delete your class output, recompile the whole source tree and fix any errors that pop up BartCr wrote: > The cause for this is probably that the RBScanner classes depends on > another class which has changed. This can happen if you didn't perform > a full recompile of the sources. > > Delete your class output, recompile the whole source tree and fix any > errors that pop up > Hi, Than...

java.io.File to java.lang.String
What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by ajava.io.File object into a String? Benjamin wrote:> What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by a> java.io.File object into a String?> You don't specify what you consider best so how about simple as best? Now for my curiosity, why would you want to do this?import java.io.*;public class test { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); File f = new File(args[0]); FileInputStream fis = new ...

Is there any free utilities I can use to view the memory used by all objects so I can track down the offending code? thanks Tim Maybe JConsole will help you out enough. Cheers. Opalinski opalpa@gmail.com http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/ Thanks, I figured out how to use hprof and it seems that something went nuts around date formatting - this trace is repeat hundereds of times... sun.text.resources.DateFormatZoneData.getContents(DateFormatZoneData.java:164) sun.text.resources.DateFormatZoneData.loadLookup(DateFormatZoneData.java:144) TRACE 304641: java.text.DateFormat$Field.&l...

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Java compiler available
tearing my hair out on this one.Thuis started as an upgrade issue till i realised that my un-usedtomcat5 installation didn't work either with my test jsp.I have, in desparation, un-installed all java / tomcat libs and re-installed only those required to get thetomcat6-6.0.14-1jpp.noarch.rpm (and the band-waggon) loadedfirst I installed java_app_platform_sdk-5_02-linux.binthis shows (after I set alternatives to point to the /opt/SDK/jdkdirecrtory)[root@squirrel ~]# javac -versionjavac 1.6.0java shows the same.I have set the following in profileCLASSPATH=$JDKHOME:$JDKHOME/lib/tools.jarJAVA_H...

java.lang.NumberFormatException error
Hi, I've been getting this error in the command window... it is a large stack so please bear with me: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "" at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Integer.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.mathworks.mlservices.MatlabDebugServices.createStackInfo(MatlabDeb ugServices.java:740) at com.mathworks.mlservices.MatlabDebugServices$StackDispatch.completed(M atlabDebugServices.java:1662) at com.mathworks.jmi.Matlab$CompletionHandler.messageReceived(...

java.lang.OutOfMemory Error
Hi, In a servlet, I am reading from the database and writing to PrintWriter stream. The database returns around 50,000 rows. I create a StringBuffer object just once outside the ResultSet loop and then append all my database data to it and write it to PrintWriter at the end of each iteration. In the beginning of each iteration I set the length of the StringBuffer to zero. I think this is an optimized code as there are no object creations inside the loop and I am re-using the same object for each iteration. But still when that loop is executed the memory consumption goes up by 50MB. I am usin...

HELP!! java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Hi all, in a java-application i've got the following problem: In a JPanel with several JTextFields i start a sql-query to a address table. This query will be started on the CaretUpdate-Event, because i want to get the result when ever i change the field-contents. This query runs on 8 fields in a very good performance (e.g. on name, city,street,phonenumber ...), but if i change the entry for the areacode the performance is really terrible (about 20 sec) and after 4 or 5 queries i get the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError!!?? The resultset contains as max. 7000 records, but i think that&#...

java.lang.UnsupportedClass error
> java -jar squirrel-sql-2.4-install.jar> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/> izforge/i> zpack/installer/Installer (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)> at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)> at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)> at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)> at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown So...

java.lang.NullPointerException..help me!
Hy guys, I'm developing a Jsf application and i have a question. My application allow user to upload a file and show to user number of columns and rows,thanks to a javabean called MyBean.java. My error is message description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request. exception javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: javax.faces.FacesException: javax.faces.FacesException: Can't instantiate class: 'com.devsphere.articles.jsfupload.MyBean'.. class com.devsphere.articles.jsfupload.MyBean : java.lang.NullPo...

Web resources about - java.lang errors - comp.lang.java.help

Pilot error - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pilot error (sometimes called cockpit error ) is a term used to describe the cause of an accident involving an airworthy aircraft where the pilot ...

Scott Morrison under fire after BIS Shrapnel report used to attack Labor contained crucial error
... negative gearing policy, after the report's authors clarified it was prepared before Labor's policy was announced and contained crucial errors. ...

More cancer patients caught up in chemo dosing error investigation
The inquiry into treatment of cancer patients in the care of Associate Professor John Grygiel has been expanded.

This week’s top stories: Apple vs FBI, Apple Pay in China, Error 53, Kanye West ditches Apple Music ...
... as a huge number of users rushed to register their credit and debit cards. Apple updates iOS 9.2.1 to restore iPhones affected by ‘error 53’, ...

Porsche sees error of ways, next 911 GT3 to offer manual transmission
Filed under: Porsche , Coupe , Performance The man behind the Porsche 911 GT3 says the next generation of the high performer will get an optional ...

Dayton Flyers Cheerleader Uses Wrong Sign, Leads to Glaring Error - Bleacher Report
Saturday was just a day to forget for the Dayton Fayers...err, Flyers. Not only did the 15th-ranked basketball team get upset by the St. Bonaventure ...

Herbalife sinks on database error report
Herbalife said it had overstated growth in the number of "active new members" in some instances in the past three quarters due to database errors. ...

CDC Corrects Error, Finds Health Risk Of Laminate Flooring Higher Than Previously Announced
Two weeks ago, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released their report on formaldehyde levels emitted by certain types of laminate ...

Apple Apologizes for 'Error 53" iPhone Bricking, Issues iOS Fix
The "Error 53" issue affected newer iPhones that underwent third-party repairs and received iOS updates via iTunes, according to reports.

Instrument error: AMD, FCAT, and Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks
There's a report making the rounds that claims AMD cards perform terribly in Ashes of the Singularity based on results captured using Nvidia's ...