java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

I'm stumped.

I've created a little applet with some buttons.  It runs fine on machine
with NetBeans IDE 3.5.1 installed, where I wrote it.  I "net use" the same
directory on another Windows XP machine, and instead of running the Java
Console tells me this:

Error loading class: but.Buttons
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: but.Buttons
        at com/ms/vm/loader/URLClassLoader.loadClass
        at com/ms/vm/loader/URLClassLoader.loadClass
        at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedClassLoad
        at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
        at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
        at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.run
        at java/lang/Thread.run

The bbb.html file I use to start the applet is pretty trivial:

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#00CC00">
<H2><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica">FreeCell</FONT></H2>
<APPLET
CODE="but/Buttons.class"
HEIGHT=450 WIDTH=680>
</APPLET>
<P>
</BODY></HTML>

More confusing is that a solitaire application which I found on the web
seems to work fine on both machines.

I did try to follow suggestions at
http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/java/newsgroups.html before submitting this
question.  That pointed me to the link: http://www.afu.com/javafaq.html but
that just dumps me at suns java weblogs.

Thanks for any help.
Matt Fisher

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:04:31 GMT, Matt Fisher wrote:

> I'm stumped.

I have an explanation.

MS IE sometimes use the MS 1.1.4 VM
You need to set the Sun VM as default.
<http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp?pt=deselect>

But *before* you do, could you do this
little test for me?  Follow URL
<http://www.physci.org/ms/msclassfile.jsp>
and 'forward information'.

In relation to your comment about the missing
FAQ.  For a much more up to date document than
the *still* *not* *updated* *Mr* *Lamb*
mini-FAQ, see..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp>

(In fact, that discusses IE in various places as well.)

[ Oh, and good to see you are reading the docs.,
I just wish folks were not being fed those old,
broken links.. ]

--
Andrew Thompson
SeeMySites (5478)

Thank you for the quick response and information.

I'm afraid I don't follow your explanation, as I still don't understand why
the application I downloaded from the web and compiled locally works on both
machines, but my application does not.  Because the web downloaded
application works, I know IE has a MSVM that works at least minimally.

I'm looking to do some minimal applets that I'd like to work without
requiring users to download Sun's latest VM.  That download takes a while
with broadband connection.  I'm afraid I'd make enemies of my family if I
asked them to download it over their phone line.

Matt Fisher

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:38:50 GMT, Matt Fisher wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response and information.

You are welcome.  Could I ask you to in-line
quote as I am about to?
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#netiquette>

> "Andrew Thompson" <SeeMySites@www.invalid> wrote in message
>> MS IE sometimes use the MS 1.1.4 VM
>> You need to set the Sun VM as default.
>> <http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp?pt=deselect>
> I'm afraid I don't follow your explanation, as I still don't understand why
> the application I downloaded from the web and compiled locally works on both
> machines, but my application does not.  Because the web downloaded
> application works, I know IE has a MSVM that works at least minimally.

OK.. sorry, I did not pick up that you were
*targetting* 1.1.

Are you using the '-target 1.1' switch at compile?

Can you upload the HTML/class/.java to GeoCities?

Is the source small enough for you to
post it to the group?
<http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>
[ though I prefer an URL.. ]

--
Andrew Thompson
SeeMySites (5478)

The bbb.html file shows off the source Java souce code.  Compiling the
source code creates three .class files, which I upload to the server in BIN
mode in the same directory as the bbb.html file.

It runs fine on the PC with the Sun  Java VM and development tools.

It generates the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError on the PC without Sun Java
VM installed, though this PC does run other Java Applets.

I'd really like to understand why.

<mapifisher@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted :

>NoClassDefFoundError

see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/errormessages.html#NOCLASSDEFFOUNDERRROR

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
look-on (4215)
<mapifisher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The applet that is giving me grief can be run from:
>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mattsteph/bbb.html
>
>The bbb.html file shows off the source Java souce code.  Compiling the
>source code creates three .class files, which I upload to the server in BIN
>mode in the same directory as the bbb.html file.
>
>It runs fine on the PC with the Sun  Java VM and development tools.
>
>It generates the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError on the PC without Sun Java
>VM installed, though this PC does run other Java Applets.
>
>I'd really like to understand why.

Works fine on my machine (which, incidentally, has Sun Java VM.

As mentioned before, if they don't have the Sun VM, then its using the
MS VM. You will need to write your applet to run using that VM, as it
is NOT necessarily compatable

--
now with more cowbell
0
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:33:14 GMT, "Matt Fisher"
>>The applet that is giving me grief can be run from:
>>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mattsteph/bbb.html

That code is rubbish.  I recommend you
do *not* attempt to learn Java by looking
at such code.

>>The bbb.html file shows off the source Java souce code.

Yes, with all it's warts..

It uses deprecated methods.  There is a class
(imaginitively called 'MyButton') that extends
button, only to declare a public member 'button'
to which a button is assigned, that member is
then accessed directly by other classes.

Further, and this is important..
*that* *code* *does* *not* *work* *in* *MSVM*

I checked it off the site.  Works fine in
Sun 1.4.2, fails in MSVM 1.1.4.

Ignore it and move on.

If you want some good code that compiles and runs
in 1.1, see my site..
<http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp>
Most of the sources without 'J', but
check them in the on-line compiler..
<http://www.physci.org/javac.jsp?bcp=MS>
...as some of the codes stupidly use constants defined in 1.4
<http://www.physci.org/javac.jsp?bcp=MS&fl=/codes/AWT1/CardTest.java>
One (applet) that *should* compile and run under
MSVM is ..(looks around for good example..)
<http://www.physci.org/codes/display.jsp?fl=/codes/java/JavaVersionApplet.java>
You can 'see' it in operation here..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp>

>>I'd really like to understand why.

The code is fundamentally broken.

But you need to figure how to tell which VM
the IE browser is using, check here..
<http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp?pt=deselect>
When you have done that, this URL ..
<http://www.physci.org/pc/properties.jsp?prop=java.vendor>
...should report 'Microsoft Corp.'

And when you select the MSVM (the opposite of
the advide I give there) could you do this little
test for me?
<http://www.physci.org/ms/msclassfile.jsp>

--
Andrew Thompson
SeeMySites (5478)
5/29/2004 6:25:41 AM
On Sat, 29 May 2004 06:25:41 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> But you need to figure how to tell which VM
> the IE browser is using, check here..
> <http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp?pt=deselect>
> When you have done that, this URL ..
> <http://www.physci.org/pc/properties.jsp?prop=java.vendor>
> ..should report 'Microsoft Corp.'
>
> And when you select the MSVM (the opposite of
> the advide I give there) could you do this little
> test for me?
> <http://www.physci.org/ms/msclassfile.jsp>

I can tell from an earlier post that I
am confusing you here.  The problem may
be this.

That 1st URL actually advises the *exact*
*opposite* of what you need to do..

It is prepared for the *general* *public* and
describes hot to unselect the MSVM, and activate
SunVM, ready for my software* to *remove* the MSVM,
it was made for this page..
* <http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

You are a *Java* *developer* who needs to ensure
that your (safe) code can *run* in the obsolete
MSVM, so that the members of the general public
with IE/MSVM (there are still a lot of them)
can see your applet..

So you need to select MSVM, and deactivate
Sun JRE while testing.  (I would not recommend
surfing the net generally like that though..)

Does that make it clearer?

--
Andrew Thompson
SeeMySites (5478)

This link discusses my exact problem AND gives a solution other than install
Sun's newest JVM:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=481&thread=494217&tstart=15&trange=15
It points out that using "-target 1.1" when compiling with javac.exe will
allow result to run on old MSJVM if the code does not attempt to use any
features that were not present in MSJVM.

I've been using NetBeans IDE 3.5.1.  To make "-target 1.1" the default
command option I did the following:
    right click on a class source (.java) file
    pull down to properties
    click "Execution" tab at bottom of Properties window
    click "External Compilation"
    click "..." that appears to the right of "External Compilation"
    click "External Compiler" in the "Compiler" window that pops up
    click "..." that appears to the right
    in the "Arguments" field of the "External Compiler" window that pops up
add
        -target 1.1
    at the very beginning (before {debuginfo}on my system).

While reading many other bits of Java info in hunting down this info there
were vague suggestions that MSJVM has security problems, and that was the
reason to push everyone to update to Sun's newest JVM.  I saw no details,
and remain unanxious to force others to download a 15M package.

Andrew Thompson pointed out how confused I was about inheritence in my
button code.  Rather than take his suggestion that I ignore my own code, I
instead removed the unneeded member button in MyButton class, which helped
me verify that I now understand the proper Java linguistics for implementing
inheritence.  I did keep the unimaginitive name "MyButton" out of curiousity
to see how Andrew responds.

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:28:38 GMT, Matt Fisher wrote:

> As Roedy Green's error list
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/errormessages.html#NOCLASSDEFFOUNDERRROR
> mentions,  "Most commonly you are trying to use a program compiled under
> Java 1.4.1 with a Java 1.15 runtime,

I do not think *1.15* exists..

I was wonderring where the reference to 1.15
was coming from, somebody else mentioned it
recently.

Roedy, the MSVM only ever reached version
1.1.4, are you referring to a Sun 1.15?

The earliest Sun JRE's I have heard of
are 1.1.7/1.1.8, was there an earlier
version of the 1.1 Sun VM that I missed?

--
Andrew Thompson
SeeMySites (5478)
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:28:38 GMT, Matt Fisher wrote:

> I did keep the unimaginitive name "MyButton" out of curiousity
> to see how Andrew responds.

LOL.  Keep the name and 'damn the torpedoes'!  ;-)
0
SeeMySites (5478)
6/1/2004 6:19:51 PM
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:18:51 GMT, Andrew Thompson
<SeeMySites@www.invalid> wrote or quoted :

>I do not think *1.15* exists..

that's a typo, now corrected. It should read 1.1.5.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
look-on (4215)
6/1/2004 8:22:54 PM
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:19:51 GMT, Andrew Thompson
<SeeMySites@www.invalid> wrote or quoted :

>> I did keep the unimaginitive name "MyButton" out of curiousity
>> to see how Andrew responds.

The use of the word "My" is used in examples to make clear something
is not a keyword, but rather an example of or an extension of an X.
so MyButton is an example of a Button.

It is not the sort of name you would use in real code.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
look-on (4215)
6/1/2004 8:24:28 PM
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:22:54 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:18:51 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote or quoted :
>
>>I do not think *1.15* exists..
>
> that's a typo, now corrected. It should read 1.1.5.

It should read -1.1.4- (to my knowledge)

That is what the 3810 build* of the
MSVM reports as the Java version.

* The 3810 build was the last (and
least insecure) build of the MSVM.

--
Andrew Thompson
SeeMySites (5478)

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
Hi, I'm trying to use the httpclient within Jython (see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/ for more information on the httpclient). My Jython version is: Jython 2.1 on java1.4.2_04 (JIT: null) My Java version is: java version "1.4.2_04" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode) My CLASSPATH includes: jdom.jar xerces.jar jython.jar jt400.jar log4j-1.2.8.jar commons-httpclient-2.0.jar When I just try to perform the import statements from example code I get the error pasted below....

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these commands: # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object # ls /usr/jdk/instances/ jdk1.5.0 jdk1.6.0 # uname -a SunOS sun1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 Please help to fix the error. Thanks. TsanChung wrote: > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > commands: > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > Error occurred during initialization of VM > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object It's missing or can't find rt.jar, right? How does the Solaris version find it's runtime files? Can you show us where rt.jar is? On Aug 20, 6:24=A0pm, Mark Space <marksp...@sbc.global.net> wrote: > TsanChung wrote: > > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > > commands: > > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > > Error occurred during initialization of VM > > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object > > It'...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type of problem and has solved it if he/she could give me a hand or if anyone could just point out what I should be looking for in this type of problem. Thanks in advance... gek ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Hi, I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help me. Below is the stack trace. Stack Trace: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.SQLAllocEnv(Native Method) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<init>(DB2Driver.java:245) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<clinit>(DB2Driver.java:130) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:120) Thanks in advance, Ganesh Majji ganesh.m@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I > don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help > me. Unfortunately my crystal bowl stays dark because you didn't mentioned your operating system and which DB2 version you're using. For Windows, *nix and OS/2 please ensure that your application is using the db2java.zip from SQLLIB\java. Check if there are multiple db2jdbc.dll on your system, remove any extra db2jdbc.dll files on the system. Ensure that you can connect to DB2 with the DB2 workstation tools from your machine. sorry for not mentioning the system details. Operation System is SunOS (Solaris) and DB2 SDK 8.2.2 Thank you very much for the kind response, Ganesh Bernd Hohmann wrote: > ganesh.m@gmail...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

to use import java.lang.* or import java.lang.Math or none at all?
Hi guys, i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a matter at all? the answer to this post will definitely affect my programming style in the future when i'm considering "to import or not to import"... hmm,,, thanks in advance. JPractitioner wrote: > i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the > compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, > should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action > will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a > matter at all? Whether and how you import classes has exactly zero effect at runtime. Imports (with or without wildcards) are only a kind of abbreviation provided by the compiler to save us the effort of typing in fully-qualified type names every time. In theory explicit importing should make compilation faster -- by a very tiny amount. I've never heard anyone claim that they've even managed to measure a difference let alone found a case where it made a practical difference. So the question comes down to how to write your code for maximum clarity. One school of thought asserts that you should always import each class explicitly (rather than by a wildcard). There's a fai...

NEWBIE: Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java/
Dear Readers, the last time I saw people asking this question was in 2000 and 2001 and no one has concluded it as to how they resolved the issue. I wrote my sample program using Eclipse. that compiled and ran to display the results at the bottom. wanted to familiarize with the tool. so wrote the program and compiled the program. when i compiled at command line, the program compiled fine. when i try to ran it: it gave the Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java/ error. eclipse had a bunch of jar files from the c:\jsdk1.4.2._05 lib files under it. so i changed the classpath in the environmental variable to have all the jar files as displayed on the eclipse editor. ENV: WINXP. Java: C:\>echo %classpath% ..;C:\TOMCAT4129\common\lib\servlet.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\lib\dt.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\lib\tools.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\jce.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\jsse.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\plugin.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\dnsns.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\ldapsec.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\localedata.jar;C:\ j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\sunjce_provider.jar >java -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java >javac -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Compiled well. >java -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFo...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/aspectj/lang/Signature
Hi, Can anyone help me for this exception which I am getting whil trying to conenct to MYSQL server thru TOMCAT. Thanks Maneesh org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'com.mysql.jdbc.Driver', cause: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/aspectj/lang/Signature at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164) at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:730) at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:518) at foo.DBTest.init(DBTest.java:23) at org.apache.jsp.test_jsp._jspService(test_jsp.java:51) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:210) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256) at org.apache...

Help needed on java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
Hi all, I have added my classes to a project.I am using JBuilder.On compilation I do not get any errors for the classes I have added.But when I run the project I get java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError for the classes I have added.I tried setting the environment variable CLASS_PATH for that specific class.But it did not work.Please let me know if you know anything about this. Regards, Abhijit. On 30 Sep 2004 06:44:20 -0700, Abhijit Gadekar <abhijitgadekar@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I have added my classes to a project.I am using JBuilder.On > compilation I do not get any errors for the classes I have added.But > when I run the project I get java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError for the > classes I have > added.I tried setting the environment variable CLASS_PATH for that > specific class.But it did not work.Please let me know if you know > anything about this. While i can only guess what you actually mean, i guess you have a problem with your CLASSPATH (no underscore). Set it to the directory that contains the root of your package tree (if your class my.package.MyClass is saved as C:\somedir\my\package\MyClass.class, set CLASSPATH to C:\somedir\). Also, NoClassDefFoundError's are often thrown if you try to run a java program and type java MainType.class instead of java MainType. -- Whom the gods wish to destroy they first call promising. ...

CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error. My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass". Thank you, compile: run: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at javax.swing.JTable$BooleanRenderer.getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable.java:5412) at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5735) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableU...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/help/HelpSetException with HTTPS/SSL
I am getting the following error with a Java Applet being served out by IIS over HTTPS/SSL using a Verisign certificate: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/help/HelpSetException at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1590) at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:1762) at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:276) at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:259) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:567) ...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError (AGAIN!)
Searching google, I know this question has been asked tens of thousands of times, and after reading hundreds of answers I'm still perplexed. After 2 weeks, I thrown in the towel and implore you for some assistance. I wrote a program using NetBeans 4.0. Naturally, I can run the program within the IDE. I can also run the class file with the vendor jar file from the command line just fine, but when I try to run my program as a jar file, I'm running into problems. (why am I getting this error?) K:\FTPTest\FTP\dist>java classpath=.;k:\edtftpj.jar -jar FTP.jar Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: classpath=/;k:\edtftp j/jar (So, I copy the jar file to my current directory) K:\FTPTest\FTP\dist>copy k:\edtftpj.jar . 1 file(s) copied. (this error mystifies me) K:\FTPTest\FTP\dist>java classpath=.;edtftpj.jar -jar FTP.jar Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: classpath=/;edtftpj/j ar (but when I explicitly set the classpath, that error disappears) K:\FTPTest\FTP\dist>set classpath=.;edtftpj.jar (but now I'm faced with the infamous java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError K:\FTPTest\FTP\dist>java -jar FTP.jar Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/enterprisedt/net/ ftp/FTPMessageListener What am I doing wrong? "Bob" <Bob@nospam.net> wrote in message news:RmYsd.183$HH6.136@fe07.lga... > Searching google, I know this question ha...

java.lang vs java.util
Surprising to see something defined in java.lang <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on something defined in java.util <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > Surprising to see something defined in java.lang > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on > something defined in java.util > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. > > Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? I think Iterable may make it into java.lang because of its significance in the foreach statement. Patricia On 04/02/2011 12:23 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote: > On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: >> Surprising to see something defined in java.lang >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on >> something defined in java.util >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. >> >> Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? Not if it wants to be consistent with http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/ don't'cha think? And the so-called "hierarchy" of java.util and java.lang is that they are equal. The language reserves for itself the entire panoply of java.* and javax.* packages. > I think It...

modifying java.lang.String.java
Hi, I'm trying to modify java.lang.String.java and add the modified String.class to rt.jar [THIS IS FOR MYSELF ONLY AND WILL NOT BE DEPLOYED]. I cannot add "private final boolean tainted[] = new boolean[5];" to String.java. If I do, it still compiles and I can add it to rt.jar and compile a test program against it. However, the JVM crashes with a strange message: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: name can't be empty at java.security.BasicPermission.init(Unknown Source) at java.security.BasicPermission.<init>(Unknown Source) at java....

Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please reply with YES or NO.
Hi, Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments after it if you wish. I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. Kind regards, Paka Paka Small wrote: > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > java.lang.reflect.Method? It's not subject to vote. It's defined by the language. You might as well ask, "Is 'int' a primitive or a reference type?". Your vote will not change reality. > Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments > after it if you wish. > > I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. And what exactly do you hope to accomplish by this exercise? Distinguish who knows Java from those who don't? A method is not a class, and a class is not a method. That's reality in Java. The law of gravity is not subject to repeal by opinion, and neither is this. Instead of wasting your time and trying to waste ours conducting meaningless polls, why don't you read the material linked upthread and learn the truth for yourself? Learn the truth and it will set you free, or at least keep you from making errors like claiming that methods and classes are the same in Java. -- Lew On 5 feb, 20:38, Lew <lewbl...@gmail.com> wrote: > Paka Small wrote: > > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > > java.lang.reflect.Method? > > It's not sub...

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Java compiler available
tearing my hair out on this one.Thuis started as an upgrade issue till i realised that my un-usedtomcat5 installation didn't work either with my test jsp.I have, in desparation, un-installed all java / tomcat libs and re-installed only those required to get thetomcat6-6.0.14-1jpp.noarch.rpm (and the band-waggon) loadedfirst I installed java_app_platform_sdk-5_02-linux.binthis shows (after I set alternatives to point to the /opt/SDK/jdkdirecrtory)[root@squirrel ~]# javac -versionjavac 1.6.0java shows the same.I have set the following in profileCLASSPATH=$JDKHOME:$JDKHOME/lib/tools.jarJAVA_H...

Is there any free utilities I can use to view the memory used by all objects so I can track down the offending code? thanks Tim Maybe JConsole will help you out enough. Cheers. Opalinski opalpa@gmail.com http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/ Thanks, I figured out how to use hprof and it seems that something went nuts around date formatting - this trace is repeat hundereds of times... sun.text.resources.DateFormatZoneData.getContents(DateFormatZoneData.java:164) sun.text.resources.DateFormatZoneData.loadLookup(DateFormatZoneData.java:144) TRACE 304641: java.text.DateFormat$Field.&l...

Web resources about - java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError - comp.lang.java.help

Facebook Stack Overflow
Stack Exchange log in - careers - chat - meta - about - faq Questions Tags Users Badges Unanswered Ask Question Top Questions active 5 featured ...

SDK for Android M (preview) is available now
Android-er For Android development, from beginner to beginner. Thursday, May 28, 2015 SDK for Android M (preview) is available now Android SDK ...

Post New Query
Post New Query in core java, spring, hibernate, jquery, maven, windows OS and many more.

Developer Testing
About Us [ On The Cover! ] [ About Us ] Agitation [ Tests Vs Specifications ] [ Agitator is Not a Test Generator ] [ Violent Agreement ] ...

DocJar: Search Open Source Java API
Search Java source code, javadoc, jar files.

Sun GlassFish Enterprise Server v2.1 - Error report
HTTP Status 500 - type Exception report message description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this ...

Issues - mockito - simpler & better mocking - Google Project Hosting
My favorites ▼ - Sign in mockito simpler & better mocking Project Home Downloads Wiki Issues Source New issue Search Search within: All issues ...

Clojure - Google Groups
Welcome to the Clojure mailing list. Please note that posts by new members are moderated to prevent spam.

Samsung + Material Support Library Leave it to Samsung to Samsung it up.…
Samsung + Material Support Library Leave it to Samsung to Samsung it up. Various Samsung phones are including older versions of the android support… ...

TorqueBox 2.10 comes with new leadership and JDK workarounds
A new version, new leadership, new support and a workaround for a bug in JDK 7's InvokeDynamic are the latest developments for the project that ...