LONG: Java student getting String Exception/String Index errors

Hello, all, I'm back with more questions from my Java I class.

I'm writing a simple text editor. According to the specs set out by my
professor, we're to use the built-in methods 'substring(), indexOf(),
and length()' to edit a single long string of text.

The "edited" text will be built by taking the original text and
finding the text that preceeds the change, the text of the change, and
the text that follows the change and concatonating them in order.

So, for example, a "delete" would be:
original preceeding text + original following text
while an "insert" would be:
original preceeding text + entered inserted text + original following
text.

And so on.

We could do this any way we wanted within the scope of using these
concatonations. So, I chose to define 2 worker-class methods
"doFindLead()" and "doFindFollow()" that would find the leading and
following text, and rebuild the strings in my app class.

App class:

        case 2: // Insert
          if (flagDoneText == true) { // make sure text has been
entered before you try to edit it!
            String tempB = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Before what
character(s) do you want to insert text:");
            editorObject.setTextFind(tempB);
            String tempC = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("What text do
you want to insert before the character(s):");
            editorObject.setTextPlace(tempC);
            editorObject.doFindLead();
            editorObject.doFindFollow();
            String lead = editorObject.getLead();
            String follow = editorObject.getFollow();
            //
            // Build a new string: Leading text. Insert text.
Characters after insert. Following text.
            //
            holdText = lead + tempC + tempB + follow;
            // return this edited text to the object
            editorObject.setText(holdText);
          }// end if flagDoneText

Worker Class:

/ One set method for each string that has to be passed from the app
class.
   // set initial value of textString.
  public void setText(String text1) {
    textString = text1;
  }// end setText

   // set initial value of textInsertFind
  public void setTextFind(String text2) {
    textFind = text2;
  }// end setInsert

   // set initial value of textInsertPlace
  public void setTextPlace(String text3) {
    textPlace = text3;
  }// end setInsert

// Find the "leading text" (preceeding text) for any string to be
manipulated
// That is -- any text before but not including the change. Set
variable to
// that value.
    public void doFindLead() {
      textLead = textString.substring(0,textString.indexOf(textFind));
    }// end doFindLead

// Find the "following text" for any string to be manipulated. That is
-- any
// text after but not including the change. Set variable to that
value.
      public void doFindFollow() {
        textFollow =
textString.substring(textString.indexOf(textFind)+textString.length());
      }// end doFindFollow

ERROR MESSAGE:
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range:
-12
	at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1480)
	at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1447)
	at
lab6_texteditor.WorkerClass.doFindFollow(WorkerClass.java:58)
	at lab6_texteditor.AppClass.main(AppClass.java:77)

Reading up via google and other Java resources, it seems that these
errors indicate I'm using a number that's too large for substring
calls.

Looking at the actual error message, it seems to be telling me that
doFindFollow has the problematic line (#58), which happens to read:
 textFollow =
textString.substring(textString.indexOf(textFind)+textString.length());

I tried altering the method and following the trace in the debugger:

      public void doFindFollow() {
        int ab=textString.indexOf(textFind);
        int bc=textString.length();
        textFollow = textString.substring(ab + bc - 1);
      }// end doFindFollow

and checking to see what ab and bc became, but, I keep getting dropped
into pre-defined classes I don't really _want_ to see. But, we've only
just started with using the debugger and I don't really know how it
works, yet.

Would someone look at my doFindFollow() and see what the "problem" is
with the substring call? What I'm "trying" to say is:

select a substring that immediately _follows_ the index of the
following position: the position of the insert following text + the
length of the insert following text.

So, if I wanted to take the phrase "the yellow cat" and insert "big"
before yellow, I'd want: to get 4+5 which would return position 9, or
the space " " just before "cat".

Gwen

0
goldmoon (65)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:07:01 -0500, Gwen Morse
<goldmoon@geocities.com> wrote:

>Hello, all, I'm back with more questions from my Java I class.

>Would someone look at my doFindFollow() and see what the "problem" is
>with the substring call? What I'm "trying" to say is:
>
>select a substring that immediately _follows_ the index of the
>following position: the position of the insert following text + the
>length of the insert following text.
>
>So, if I wanted to take the phrase "the yellow cat" and insert "big"
>before yellow, I'd want: to get 4+5 which would return position 9, or
>the space " " just before "cat".

Okay, looking over my code for the millionth time, I think I realize
the problem.

I'm not telling length() what I actually want the _length_ of (or,
more properly, I'm telling it I want the length of the whole
textString object + the other value). That neatly explains why my
index is too large, because I only want the length of the textFind
string.

Preliminary testing shows I'm now on the right track and it's simply a
matter of refinding my app class to get everything working.

I'm sorry to have posted a big long message that I don't need
answered, but, I'm glad to have figured out my mistake. Thanks for
listening as much as you may have done. :)

Gwen

0
goldmoon (65)

CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error. My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass". Thank you, compile: run: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at javax.swing.JTable$BooleanRenderer.getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable.java:5412) at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5735) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableU...

modifying java.lang.String.java
Hi, I'm trying to modify java.lang.String.java and add the modified String.class to rt.jar [THIS IS FOR MYSELF ONLY AND WILL NOT BE DEPLOYED]. I cannot add "private final boolean tainted[] = new boolean[5];" to String.java. If I do, it still compiles and I can add it to rt.jar and compile a test program against it. However, the JVM crashes with a strange message: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: name can't be empty at java.security.BasicPermission.init(Unknown Source) at java.security.BasicPermission.<init>(Unknown Source) at java....

java.io.File to java.lang.String
What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by ajava.io.File object into a String? Benjamin wrote:> What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by a> java.io.File object into a String?> You don't specify what you consider best so how about simple as best? Now for my curiosity, why would you want to do this?import java.io.*;public class test { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); File f = new File(args[0]); FileInputStream fis = new ...

Help creating java.lang.String
Hallo NewsGroup, I have this Java to create a blank string of defined size. Is there a nicer way of doing this? Thank you Michelle private String makeString(int sizeOfString) { StringBuffer sb=new StringBuffer(""); for (int i=0;i<sizeOfString;i++) sb.append(" "); return sb.toString()); } Miss. Michelle Heigardt wrote: > Hallo NewsGroup, I have this Java to create a blank string of defined > size. Is there a nicer way of doing this? > > Thank you > Michelle > > > private String makeString(int sizeOfString) > { > StringBuffer sb=new StringBuffer(""); > for (int i=0;i<sizeOfString;i++) > sb.append(" "); > return sb.toString()); > } Question is: Why would you want to make a String filled with white-spaces? If it's for format purposes, "\t" (tab) works fine, usually. -- ------------- - ByteCoder - ...I see stupid people ------------- Curiosity *Skilled* the cat "Miss. Michelle Heigardt" <michelleheigardt@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:87d7e814.0412260921.3499b875@posting.google.com... > Hallo NewsGroup, I have this Java to create a blank string of defined > size. Is there a nicer way of doing this? > > Thank you > Michelle > > > private String makeString(int sizeOfString) > { > StringBuffer sb=new StringBuffer(""); > for (int i=0;i<sizeOfStrin...

Function Based Index and java.lang.String
Hi. I have a java stored procedure whose spec is as follows: CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION DECODE_SEQUENCE(SEQUENCE VARCHAR2) RETURN VARCHAR2 DETERMINISTIC AS LANGUAGE JAVA NAME 'kr.ac.dke.protein.compression.SequenceCompressor.decode(java.lang.String) return java.lang.String'; / AND I want to make an index like below: CREATE INDEX K0_IDX ON K0(DECODE_SEQUENCE(TYPESTR), TYPELEN) NOLOGGING COMPRESS 2 / However, above statement raises an error, saying that 'Maximum size of index field is excceded.' Hence, I've changed the index creation statement. CREATE INDEX K0_IDX ON K0(SUBSTR(DECODE_SEQUENCE(TYPESTR),1,1), TYPELEN) NOLOGGING COMPRESS 2 / This works. Here's the question. Can't I create an index on java.lang.String without using SUBSTR function? Regards, Minkoo Seo "Min-Koo Seo" <pool0078@hanmail.net> wrote in message news:4c458db8.0406210740.561bf50c@posting.google.com... > Hi. > > I have a java stored procedure whose spec is as follows: > > CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION DECODE_SEQUENCE(SEQUENCE VARCHAR2) RETURN > VARCHAR2 > DETERMINISTIC > AS LANGUAGE JAVA > NAME 'kr.ac.dke.protein.compression.SequenceCompressor.decode(java.lang.String) > return java.lang.String'; > / > > AND I want to make an index like below: > > CREATE INDEX K0_IDX ON K0(DECODE_SEQUENCE(TYPESTR), TYPELEN) > NOLOGGING > COMPRESS 2 > / ...

JNI C calling java with String gets null pointer in Java
I have a c program that calls a java method. When trying to access the string parms passed into the jave pointer, I get null pointer exception. Here is part of the code: char *urlChar = "http://this_host/service"; char *userChar = "tester"; char *passwordChar = "tester"; char *phoneNumberChar = "1234567890"; jmethodID mid = (*env)->GetStaticMethodID(env, cls, "getPhoneMessage", "(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/String;"); if (mid == NULL) { printf("unable to get method g...

Java String to Javascript String
Hi Everyone, I am converting an image file into a Java string (via an applet) and would like to pass the Java string back to the Javascript function that calls the applet's. I know the simple string return is straightforward. But in this case, is there something I should do in either/both Javascript function and Java applet to make sure that the image data is not lost during the transfer due to difference in the structure of Java and Javascript strings? Thanks, Sanj. Sanjay wrote: > I am converting an image file into a Java string (via an applet) and > would like to pass the Java string back to the Javascript function > that calls the applet's. Why ? On Jul 10, 5:55=A0pm, Stevo <n...@mail.invalid> wrote: > Sanjay wrote: > > I am converting an image file into a Java string (via an applet) and > > would like to pass the Java string back to the Javascript function > > that calls the applet's. > > Why ? I am making an image upload tool in AJAX. Now, I am wondering whether I might just as well do the upload within Java applet unless there is an easy solution for my query. Sanjay wrote: > On Jul 10, 5:55 pm, Stevo <n...@mail.invalid> wrote: >> Sanjay wrote: >>> I am converting an image file into a Java string (via an applet) and >>> would like to pass the Java string back to the Javascript function >>> that calls the applet's. >> Why ? > > I am making an image ...

warning: [deprecation] in java.util.Date(java.lang.String) has been deprecated
Dear Java Programmers, When compiling my Java program I get the following warning: "warning: [deprecation] in java.util.Date(java.lang.String) has been deprecated" on for example this statement: new Date("09/23/2003") The code is used to generate the dates on a webpage. Depending on the language of the webpage the generated format is different. For example English (see "Date" and "Choose publication" on the page opened): http://home.scarlet.be/kenya-belgium/list_5_en/a_kenyan_birthday_party_and_a_belgian_birthday_party.html French: http://home.scarlet....

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 34
Dear Gurus I m reading XML file in the form of string. Below is the code. => XML string that pass to parseDocument(String receivedMessage) in Parser class as follows <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <IFX xmlns:pain001="urn:swift:xsd:$pain.001.001.01" xmlns:pain002="urn:swift:xsd:$pain.002.001.01" xmlns:pain004="urn:swift:xsd:$pain.004.001.01" xmlns:remit="http://www.ifxforum.org/RemitDetailInfo/ 2004/07" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="C:\IFX170_XSD.xsd" > <SignonRq> <ClientDt>2006-02-16</ClientDt> <CustLangPref>EN</CustLangPref> <ClientApp> <Org>abc</Org> <Name>a</Name> <Version>1</Version> </ClientApp> </SignonRq> <BankSvcRq> <RqUID>51dc8bf5-70c3-4e36-8d03-d0fb5fc58fbd</RqUID> <XferAddRq> <RqUID>51dc8bf5-70c3-4e36-8d03-d0fb5fc58fbd</RqUID> <XferInfo> <DepAcctIdFrom> <AcctId>112</AcctId> <AcctType/> <AcctCur>INR</AcctCur> <BankInfo/> </DepAcctIdFrom> <DepAcctIdTo> <AcctId>54</AcctId> <AcctType/> ...

java matlab error: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
Hello Im using matlab 2010 and 2007 with windows 7 and i have install the new java. Matlab array editor doesnt work right even though i can see the values of an array in the workspace when i try to edit them in the variable editor i cant see the values and i get an error: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException at com.mathworks.mlwidgets.array.ValueTableModel.setValuesAt(ValueTableModel.java:195) at com.mathworks.mlwidgets.array.ValueTableModel.setValueAt(ValueTableModel.java:190) at com.mathworks.widgets.spreadsheet.ResizingTableModelWrapper.s...

OEM
Hi, We receive 'VNI-4002 : Unknown gateway exception java.lang.String' when trying to register an adapter down event in OEM. w2k v5.00.2195 sp 4 IC/Adapters v9.0.4.0.2 OEM 9.2.0.1 DB 9.2.0.6 (HUB Install - separate server install from the OEM repository) DB 9.2.0.6 (OEM repository) In OEM the node 'Interconnect' is visable and under that node both adapters and the IC repository are visable and functional also from connections from clients, but we are unfurtunately unable to register UpDown events. We have searched both metalink, google and these fine oracle groups without much to go from, so we would be more than grateful if someone could give us some clues as to solve the problem. The IC/OEM post installation steps have - to the best of our knowledge - been performed (as we otherwise would not have been able to 'see' the Interconnect node, the hub etc.) Kind Regards, Keld Nielsen ...

java.lang.String.
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two assignmentsString ref = "HAI";String obj = new String("HAI"); On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:24:43 -0000, "M.Ponmalar@gmail.com" <M.Ponmalar@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two assignments >String ref = "HAI"; >String obj = new String("HAI"); The second creates a duplicate object, needlessly. The first just assigns a reference to an existing interned string literal object -- Roedy Green Can...

String index out of range: -1 only occurs when using java.lang.Thread

java.lang.string
I need someones help with the following problem. When trying to compile:"can't find symbol,symbole:constructor sam(java.lang.string,java,lang,string) location :class Mine" appears please help me. <<import easyIO.*; class Mine { public static void main(String[] args) { Mine mn= new Mine(args); } Mine(String[] input) { String fill="data.txt"; String fil="cur.txt"; if (inputfil.length>0) fill=input[0]; if (input.length>1) fil=input[1]; Sam sam= new Sam(fill,fil); sam.menu(); } ......... >> ...

Javadoc including "java.lang.String" instead of just "String" for return values
How does one get the javadoc utility to show just "String" instead of "java.lang.String" in its output? I've noticed that, for example, Sun's "awt.TextField.ParamString()" method is documented as follows, and I'd like to make mine appear this way for extremely well-known objects such as "String" as well: protected String paramString() Thanks in advance. -- Randolf Richardson - kingpin+nntp@lumbercartel.ca The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch) http://www.lumbercartel.ca/ Randolf Richardson wrote: > How does one...

Convert a java String to matlab string
If I have constructed two strings of "java.lang.String", and I want to concatenate them together, but I can't use str1 + str2 as in Java, and the java method of "concat" doen't seem to work. Another way is to convert a java string to matlab string and then concatenate them together. However, I also don't know the correct way for the conversion. Somebody can help me? Thank you for reading. In article <gkngb9$jr8$1@fred.mathworks.com>, "Lihua Pan" <plhalice@gmx.de> wrote: > If I have constructed two strings of "java.lang.String&qu...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type of problem and has solved it if he/she could give me a hand or if anyone could just point out what I should be looking for in this type of problem. Thanks in advance... gek ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these commands: # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object # ls /usr/jdk/instances/ jdk1.5.0 jdk1.6.0 # uname -a SunOS sun1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 Please help to fix the error. Thanks. TsanChung wrote: > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > commands: > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > Error occurred during initialization of VM > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object It's missing or can't find rt.jar, right? How does the Solaris version find it's runtime files? Can you show us where rt.jar is? On Aug 20, 6:24=A0pm, Mark Space <marksp...@sbc.global.net> wrote: > TsanChung wrote: > > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > > commands: > > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > > Error occurred during initialization of VM > > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object > > It'...

getting {string} from \${string}
Hi folks. Perl newbie here. Having a heck of a time with something which probably isn't that hard... When debugging code in progress, I often find myself typing: print "\$var1=$var1, \$var2=$var2 \n"; not a big deal, but when you do it all the time, it would be nice to save some typing by putting it in a subroutine, such as: dbg_pr($var1,$var2); Easy enough if I just wanted the values, but I want to print both the variable names and the values, and I'd like to get both from one string. If I pass $var1 or \$var1 I can get the value but not the variable name, and if I p...

String to Long and then to String
I have a String: "This is a test" and I need to convert it into a long value. Then I need to convert the long value back to the original String. Can I use: long test = Long.valueof("This is a test"); String string = Long.valueof(test).toString(); Now string is: "This is a test"? If not, any better way to do it? <usgog@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1152333011.741588.251710@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have a String: "This is a test" and I need to convert it into a long > value. Then I need to convert the long value back to the or...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Help : Breaking the string in Java
Hi, Can anyone help in breaking a lengthy string.. The scenario is.. 1. It should break by 15 char using "-" at the 15th char. 2. Whenever it encounters URL, it should break without "-" 3. While breaking it should not afftect the tags.. 4. When parsing we should not consider the length of tags. I'll give some examples so that it will be easy to understand. Example 1: Input : thisisalengthywordtobebrokenintostrings Output: thisisalengthy- wordtobebroken- intostrings Example 2: Input: this is a lengthy word to be broken into strings Output: this is a lengthy word to be ...

Web resources about - LONG: Java student getting String Exception/String Index errors - comp.lang.java.help

Motor vehicle exception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The exception is based on the idea that there is a lower expectation of privacy in motor vehicles due to the regulations they operate. Additionally, ...

Podcast #42 – It’s The Exception That Proves The Rule
... Language and Usage , which was frustrated by the high number of certain types of questions that were coming in. Is this podcast the exception ...

Santorum: No Rape or Incest Exceptions - YouTube
Santorum: No Rape or Incest Exceptions - YouTube

Can Tunisia, the 'Arab exception', hold on to democractic ideals amid turmoil?
The terrorist attack on the Bardo Museum, in Tunis, represents yet another episode of senseless, barbaric violence in the name of Islam.

Exception to Origin rule
Exception to Origin rule

Peter FitzSimons: Sydney siege met with courage, wisdom and one exception
Senator David Leyonhjelm's response to the Sydney siege was gobsmacking.

Remakes are all the rage, and sport's no exception
Over the past year or so, franchises such as Star Wars and Rocky have solidified what many pundits already believed, and that is that people ...

Most consumers better off after carbon tax scrapped – with one possible exception
Households are roughly $550 a year better off since the scraping of the carbon tax, but air travellers may wonder if they are being overcharged, ...

Men Need to Admit That Jian Ghomeshi Is No Exception
That men like Jian Ghomeshi are a terrible exception and if we as men simply stand up and say we are not as bad as that, or that we are not rapists ...

No exception in punishing the corrupt: People's Daily
No exception in punishing the corrupt: People's Daily People's Daily Online BEIJING, June 30 People's Daily , the flagship newspaper of the ...