Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
From: "rjb" <rjbl...@worldonline.nl>
Date: 2000/05/23
Subject: java.util.zip Problem?? Help
We have a servlet that creates a report and attaches it as a .ZIP file
attachment. The problem seems to be that the format of the .ZIP file is not
quite right. We can open this with most programs for .ZIP files, but the
following fails:

When a user receives the attachment in Lotus Notes4.6.x, and chooses the
View Attachment option, the system returns the following error message:-

The file is corrupt.

Is there some deviation from the .ZIP file standard by Sun. I have tried
this using both JDK1.1.7 on Linux, and JDK1.2.2 on Win9X/NT and Linux - both
result in the same problem. If I create a file using WinZip or PKZIP, Lotus
Notes does not have a problem with the file at all.

Any suggestions?
REPLY 1:

Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
From: p...@best.com (Peter van der Linden)
Date: 2000/05/23
Subject: Re: java.util.zip Problem?? Help

rjb <rjbl...@worldonline.nl> wrote:
 >When a user receives the attachment in Lotus Notes4.6.x, and chooses the
 >View Attachment option, the system returns the following error message:-

 >The file is corrupt.

 >Is there some deviation from the .ZIP file standard by Sun.

The zip format used in Java is intended to be absolutely the
standard zip format.

Can you use a binary dump program to see where the difference is?
Can you use that to try to boil it down into the simplest example that
fails? Also check for bugs at the JDC site (address in Java FAQ).

Please report back what you find, this looks interesting.

The Java FAQ is at
http://www.afu.com
REPLY 2:

Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
From: "rjb" <rjbl...@worldonline.nl>
Date: 2000/05/25
I have zipped a sinlge 2KB file using both methods, and there is a
difference. However, even using the basic no frills options in all other
programs, I cannot put my finger on the reason for this.
FYI -
Zipped with Zip under Linux - Lotus Notes recognises
Zipped with PKZip under Dos - Lotus Notes recognises
Zipped with WinZip7.0 - Lotus Notes recognises
Zipped with WinZip8.0 - Lotus Notes recognises
Zipped with java.util.zip - Lotus Notes says it is corrupt, but I can open
with WinZip et al.

Now, if I was a betting man, I'd have my money on Sun either doing something
funny. Will check the JDC.

regards
REPLY 3:

Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
From: Marco Schmidt <marcoschm...@geocities.com>
Date: 2000/05/26
On Thu, 25 May 2000 17:04:27 +0200, "rjb" <rjbl...@worldonline.nl>
wrote:

 >I have zipped a sinlge 2KB file using both methods, and there is a
 >difference. However, even using the basic no frills options in all other
 >programs, I cannot put my finger on the reason for this.

Maybe you can make that ZIP archive created from your Java app
available for download via HTTP?! I would take a look at it.

There usually is a small difference in ZIP archives created by
different programs (or with different compression ratio settings).

Regards,
Marco

Notes Viewer not opening ZIP files created with Java
I created a Notes Java agent which zip's a file on my hard drive. When I attach it to a Notes R6 document it will not open when clicking the Attachment View button. If I manually Zip the same file using WinZip and attach it to a Notes document it open fine with the Attachment View button. Both the Java Zip file and the WinZip file are approx. the same size and I can open the Excel spreadsheet in both of them. Any ideas ? Thanks, Larry ...

to use import java.lang.* or import java.lang.Math or none at all?
Hi guys, i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a matter at all? the answer to this post will definitely affect my programming style in the future when i'm considering "to import or not to import"... hmm,,, thanks in advance. JPractitioner wrote: > i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the > compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, > should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action > will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a > matter at all? Whether and how you import classes has exactly zero effect at runtime. Imports (with or without wildcards) are only a kind of abbreviation provided by the compiler to save us the effort of typing in fully-qualified type names every time. In theory explicit importing should make compilation faster -- by a very tiny amount. I've never heard anyone claim that they've even managed to measure a difference let alone found a case where it made a practical difference. So the question comes down to how to write your code for maximum clarity. One school of thought asserts that you should always import each class explicitly (rather than by a wildcard). There's a fai...

Creating Zip file like java jar file
Hi, I want to create zip file equivalent to java jar file,I created a zip file of my sources and added some __main__.py some how I am getting an error saying __main.py does not exist in the zip file Copyproject(main folder) | |_____src(folder) | | | |__Nertworkpackage | | | | | |__Storepackage | | | | |__FtpPackage |__module1.py | |__module2.py |____ tests ...

java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
I am using SuSE Linux 9.0, JDK 1.4.2, JBoss 4.2. I have simple hello.java file and created hello.class filw without any problems. I also set my CLASSPATH to point to SERVLET.JAR file. and then put this HELLO.CLASS file under jboss/server/default/deploy directory on which I get following ERROR... wonder why: I am trying to run this Hello World Servlet from browser as: http://localhost:8080/hello Here is the ERROR I get on JBOSS COnsole when I start JBoss: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 10:37:11,220 WARN [JARDeployer] Failed to add d...

java.util.zip
I'm returning to a project I left off a short while ago. One of the problems I had was that java.util.zip was having problems opening some zip files that opened just fine in winzip. When I get my hand into the code again (tonight perhaps) I can maybe reproduce the actual error, but as I recall, java.util.zip thought that the zip file was corrupt. Anyone had experience with OK zip files getting rejected by the zip package in this way? Will post more info when I have it. ta, alex On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:58:13 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote: > Anyone had experience with OK zip files gett...

java.io.File to java.lang.String
What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by ajava.io.File object into a String? Benjamin wrote:> What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by a> java.io.File object into a String?> You don't specify what you consider best so how about simple as best? Now for my curiosity, why would you want to do this?import java.io.*;public class test { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); File f = new File(args[0]); FileInputStream fis = new ...

java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file #2
I am using SuSE Linux 9.0, JDK 1.4.2, JBoss 4.2. I have simple hello.java file and created hello.class filw without any problems. I also set my CLASSPATH to point to SERVLET.JAR file. and then put this HELLO.CLASS file under jboss/server/default/deploy directory on which I get following ERROR... wonder why: I am trying to run this Hello World Servlet from browser as: http://localhost:8080/hello Here is the ERROR I get on JBOSS COnsole when I start JBoss: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 10:37:11,220 WARN [JARDeployer] Failed to add d...

How to define java.lang.Object using java IDL
Hi all, I have a function like: boolean method(java.lang.Object param). How can I define this using java IDL? In another words, I need to pass an instance of java.lang.Object from Client to Server using CORBA. Is this possible? I would be nice simply to typecast the Object at Server-side into whatever needed. How about without typecasts, is this possible in any way, for example using a helper function like: java.lang.Object anyToJavaLangObject(Any value) Code examples ?!? Thanks in advance Juha Rossi ...

Creat a DLL File from python code, and use that DLL file in other Platform (Labview, Java .NET etc)
Hi, I would like to request your attention for this very specific issue: I have several classes in Python, and now I want simply re-use it, in other language. The closest to solution I think I came was with this site: http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Py2exeAndCtypesComExeServer?highlight=%28%28Py2exeAndCtypesComDllServer%29%29 but I not able to solve questions related with TLB files and __init__.py files. So, could anyone give a tip about HOW TO CREAT a dll file from Python? thank in advance AMMS macedo.silva@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to request your attention ...

Hi, I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help me. Below is the stack trace. Stack Trace: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.SQLAllocEnv(Native Method) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<init>(DB2Driver.java:245) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<clinit>(DB2Driver.java:130) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:120) Thanks in advance, Ganesh Majji ganesh.m@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I > don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help > me. Unfortunately my crystal bowl stays dark because you didn't mentioned your operating system and which DB2 version you're using. For Windows, *nix and OS/2 please ensure that your application is using the db2java.zip from SQLLIB\java. Check if there are multiple db2jdbc.dll on your system, remove any extra db2jdbc.dll files on the system. Ensure that you can connect to DB2 with the DB2 workstation tools from your machine. sorry for not mentioning the system details. Operation System is SunOS (Solaris) and DB2 SDK 8.2.2 Thank you very much for the kind response, Ganesh Bernd Hohmann wrote: > ganesh.m@gmail...

Java Java
Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. Working on a second right now. Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS. It will be at www.black-and-company.com tab wrote: > Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. > Working on a second right now. > > Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS. > > It will be at www.black-and-company.com > Wasn't that the whole point of Lindows? Oh, right, we didn't care for that either. tab wrote: > Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. > Working on a second right now. > > Coming out with a ...

Help creating java.lang.String
Hallo NewsGroup, I have this Java to create a blank string of defined size. Is there a nicer way of doing this? Thank you Michelle private String makeString(int sizeOfString) { StringBuffer sb=new StringBuffer(""); for (int i=0;i<sizeOfString;i++) sb.append(" "); return sb.toString()); } Miss. Michelle Heigardt wrote: > Hallo NewsGroup, I have this Java to create a blank string of defined > size. Is there a nicer way of doing this? > > Thank you > Michelle > > > private String makeString(int sizeOfString) > { > StringB...

Java in Java
Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a desktop Java app? -- Dirk http://www.transcendence.me.uk/ - Transcendence UK http://www.theconsensus.org/ - A UK political party http://www.onetribe.me.uk/wordpress/?cat=5 - Our podcasts on weird stuff Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote: > Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a > desktop Java app? > Quite likely, but you won't necessarily get the same security model, unless you were careful about it. -- Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/&g...

Query about compression and decompression in Java using java.util.zip package
I am compressing/decompressing objects and sending them over http as per the article mentioned in the URL below:- http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/compression/ However I have a query regarding some code in which the following sequence is depicted. import java.io.*; import java.util.zip.*; public class SaveEmployee { public static void main(String argv[]) throws Exception { // create some objects Employee sarah = new Employee("S. Jordan", 28, 56000); Employee sam = new Employee("S. McDonald", 29, 5800...

creating a .exe file using Java Launcher
Hi, I have created .jar file successfully using eclipse .Now want to create ..exe file.I tried using java launcher 3.201 but it gives the following error. =========================== start launching main class Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdesktop/jdic/tray/SystemTray at Tray.<init>(Tray.java:29) at Tray.main(Tray.java:227) =========================== end of launching main class Is it because I m using jdic? Will I need to include jdic.jar file ? If yes where exctly to include it? In eclipse its not giving any problem since jdic.jar fi...

how to use jar file created by java builder ?
hello, i try to run the .jar file made by java builder without success. i searched informations on the web but there is not a lot of doc about this. i tried with a very simple .m code (test_plot.m) : -------------------------------- function test_plot x=1:100; y=x.^2; plot(x,y); end -------------------------------- After build with deploytool , i have two directories (src and distrib). i did the following command under debian : $ cd src/classes/test_plot/ $ls test_plot.ctf Test_plotMCRFactory.class Test_plot$1.class Test_plotRemote.class Test_plot.class $ jar cvmf manifest.mf t...

Filtering Ascii file using Java Help
I am by no means a programmer, but I was given the task of reducing the size of a very large Ascii document using certain criteria. I chose to write this in Java, since this is the language that is most fresh on my mind. The data for the input file was obtained using some instruments and it has a certain format. The format is 3 header lines at the top and then a series of six description lines followed by six data lines. There are 14 columns total in each data row. I was to filter out data in two of these columns according to certain specification and only write the six description lines if at...

Oracle Java or Open Java?
Last time I remember any discussion of using the Open JDK there was a general opinion that Sun^WOracle Java was still the way to go. Is this still the case? -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 11/7/2012 6:42 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Last time I remember any discussion of using the Open JDK there was a > general opinion that Sun^WOracle Java was still the way to go. > > Is this still the case? I think so. Unless you have good reasons to prefer the OpenJDK open source license. Arne On 11/07/2012 07:42 PM, ...

Calling compiled m-file under Linux from Java using Java Native Interface (JNI).
I am calling a compiled matlab function under Linux from Java using the Java Native Interface (JNI). I've been able to achieve the integration under Windows following the instructions in "Mathworks Solution Number: 27671". When I try under Linux(Redhat9), following the instructions in "Mathworks Solution Number: 35847" I manage to build the shared library, but when I run my java application I recieve the following run-time link error: libmwlapack: load error: /usr/MatlabR12/bin/glnx86/atlas_PIII.so: undefined symbol: ieeeck_ libmwlapack: load error: /usr/MatlabR12/ex...

reading data from a spooled file with java or c (without using the toolkit for java preferably)
hi, I'm trying to programmatically read (and later analize) data that gets written to a spooled file. My approach with java and CL has been to get the copy the spooled file into an IFS file. (the way i found to do something which i think is what i want is to go from spooled file -> database file -> ifs file (import file?)). Here are the commands in CL: (i'm trying to capture the command for showing jvm jobs but it could be any other command) PGM DSPJVMJOB OUTPUT(*PRINT) /* Show jvm jobs. */ CRTPF FILE(ITESTJ50/DMPJVMDBFL) RCDLEN(132) /* create physical/databas...

Using java.util.zip on .tar.gz files
I'd like to decompress .tar.gz files and get at the individual files within. It appears that the java.util.zip package handles that nicely for regular .zip files, and it will do GZip files, but getting the tarred files within the .gz isn't within its capabilities. Or am I wrong? What's the easiest way to do this? Chris wrote: > I'd like to decompress .tar.gz files and get at the individual files > within. It appears that the java.util.zip package handles that nicely > for regular .zip files, and it will do GZip files, but getting the > tarred files within th...

opening a pdf file using java web application
HI, can anyone please help me out to solve this problem i developed a webapplication and deployed in tomcat server. in my web application i need to open a pdf file which is located in my machine and not in tomcat server.so when i click on the pdf link i should be able to open the pdf. onClick="window.open('C:/rajesh/abc.pdf ','mywindow','width=400,height=200,toolbar=yes, location=yes,directories=yes,status=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,copyhistory=y es, resizable=yes')" this is the code i had written in my jsp,onclicking the link i am not able to open the ...

Web resources about - Lotus Notes Viewer not opening ZIP files created using Java - comp.lang.java.help

Opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway ( L&M ) took place on 15 September 1830. Work on the L&M began in the 1820s, to connect the ...

Facebook Weekly Highlights Brings You The NFL’s Opening Week, More U.S. Open Action
Facebook Weekly Highlights features photos posted to the social network by celebrities and athletes. This week’s edition featured the photo to ...

Gold Coast Titans grab NRL season opening win against Newcastle Knights
In just his second game, Ashley Taylor has outpointed NSW No.7 Trent Hodkinson to help steer Gold Coast Titans to a 30-12 NRL season-opening ...

NRL's biggest stars facing lengthy stints on the sidelines after injury-riddled opening round
Some of the game's biggest names in the NRL are facing extended periods on the sidelines after the opening round of the season. Michael Chammas ...

Gold Coast Titans grab NRL season opening win against Newcastle Knights
In just his second game, Ashley Taylor has outpointed NSW No.7 Trent Hodkinson to help steer Gold Coast Titans to a 30-12 NRL season-opening ...

NRL's biggest stars facing lengthy stints on the sidelines after injury-riddled opening round
Some of the game's biggest names in the NRL are facing extended periods on the sidelines after the opening round of the season. Michael Chammas ...

CPPCC members mobbed by media at opening session(2/4)
Ecns.cn is the official English-language website of China News Service (CNS), a state-level news agency sponsored and established by Chinese ...

Candiria playing Studio at Webster with So Hideous & Tiger Flowers, opening for Killswitch Engage at ...
Reunited Brooklyn metal/hip-hop/jazz/hardcore polymaths Candiria have two upcoming hometown shows.

'Zootopia' has Disney's biggest box office opening ever for an animated movie
... weekend as it took the top spot at the box office with an estimated $73.7 million, according to pro.boxoffice.com . That's the biggest opening ...

Lupita Nyong’o in green lace Balmain at ‘Eclipsed’ opening night: lovely or doily?
... night. I’m sorry I didn’t get to these photos yesterday, but they came in later than I was expecting. Lupita attended the big Broadway opening ...