Swing runtime problems / Java installation problems

Hello all.  I have a very simple problem.  I am seeking to develop
java apps on mepis linux (ver. 3.4-3).  I have installed jdk 1.6.0 and
i am having runtime error problems.  It seems like a simple matter,
but i do not know how to solve the problem i am having.  I have
compiled the following code directly from the sun website...

package start;

/*
 * HelloWorldSwing.java requires no other files.
 */
import javax.swing.*;

public class HelloWorldSwing {
    /**
     * Create the GUI and show it.  For thread safety,
     * this method should be invoked from the
     * event-dispatching thread.
     */
    private static void createAndShowGUI() {
        //Create and set up the window.
        JFrame frame = new JFrame("HelloWorldSwing");

        //Add the ubiquitous "Hello World" label.
        JLabel label = new JLabel("Hello World");
        frame.getContentPane().add(label);

        //Display the window.
        frame.pack();
        frame.setVisible(true);
    }

        //Schedule a job for the event-dispatching thread:
        //creating and showing this application's GUI.
        javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
            public void run() {
                createAndShowGUI();
            }
        });
    }
}

when i compile, nothing seems to be wrong...

Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ ls
HelloWorldSwing.java
Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
bin/javac HelloWorldSwing.java
Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ ls
HelloWorldSwing$1.class  HelloWorldSwing.class  HelloWorldSwing.java
Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$

when i try to run the program the following happens...

Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
bin/java HelloWorldSwing
HelloWorldSwing (wrong name: start/HelloWorldSwing)
        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:
124)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:
260)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:56)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:
276)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:
319)
Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
bin/java .HelloWorldSwing
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /
HelloWorldSwing
Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ unset CLASSPATH
Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
bin/java HelloWorldSwing
HelloWorldSwing (wrong name: start/HelloWorldSwing)
        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:
124)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:
260)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:56)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:
276)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:
319)
Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
bin/java .HelloWorldSwing
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /
HelloWorldSwing

As you all see, I have tried several methods of running the program,
but it will not work.  I feel like a simpleton, but does anyone have
any suggestions? It seems that java is having a hard time finding
my .class file.  I dunno...

J.P.

0
jpaez1020 (2)

Johnny Danger wrote:
>Hello all.  I have a very simple problem.  I am seeking to develop
>java apps on mepis linux (ver. 3.4-3).  I have installed jdk 1.6.0 and
>i am having runtime error problems.
>package start;
>Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
>bin/java HelloWorldSwing

The fully qualified name of this class is 'start.HelloWorldSwing'.

Perhaps you might run it using
...java start.HellowWorldSwing

OTOH - I guess then you will be getting a 'wrong package'
or similar error.

As an initial test, I would recommend commenting out
or removing the package statement, then recompiling it
and trying again with.
...java HelloWorldSwing

Then you might (later) figure how to compile and run
packaged code.
>As you all see, I have tried several methods of running the program,
>but it will not work.  I feel like a simpleton, but does anyone have
>any suggestions? It seems that java is having a hard time finding
>my .class file.  I dunno...

For best help, it is advisable to use the more
common forms of expressions (no 'slang').
Note that *many* of the people who contribute
to these forums speak Engilsh as a Second
(3rd.. etc.) Language, and might not recognise
'dunno' as 'do not know'.  Also, many of us who
*do* speak English as a native tongue, simply
don't like seeing such abbreviations.

That being said, I myself occasionally use slang
words, but usually only in replies to people whom
I am confident would understand what I mean.

(Oh, and the word 'I' should always be Upper Case
in English - *always*.)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Andrew
9/21/2007 6:04:35 AM
On Sep 21, 12:04 am, "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> wrote:
> Johnny Danger wrote:
> >Hello all.  I have a very simple problem.  I am seeking to develop
> >java apps on mepis linux (ver. 3.4-3).  I have installed jdk 1.6.0 and
> >i am having runtime error problems.
> ..
> >package start;
> ..
> >Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
> >bin/java HelloWorldSwing
>
> The fully qualified name of this class is 'start.HelloWorldSwing'.
>
> Perhaps you might run it using
> ..java start.HellowWorldSwing
>
> OTOH - I guess then you will be getting a 'wrong package'
> or similar error.
>
> As an initial test, I would recommend commenting out
> or removing the package statement, then recompiling it
> and trying again with.
> ..java HelloWorldSwing
>
> Then you might (later) figure how to compile and run
> packaged code.
> ..
>
> >As you all see, I have tried several methods of running the program,
> >but it will not work.  I feel like a simpleton, but does anyone have
> >any suggestions? It seems that java is having a hard time finding
> >my .class file.  I dunno...
>
> For best help, it is advisable to use the more
> common forms of expressions (no 'slang').
> Note that *many* of the people who contribute
> to these forums speak Engilsh as a Second
> (3rd.. etc.) Language, and might not recognise
> 'dunno' as 'do not know'.  Also, many of us who
> *do* speak English as a native tongue, simply
> don't like seeing such abbreviations.
>
> That being said, I myself occasionally use slang
> words, but usually only in replies to people whom
> I am confident would understand what I mean.
>
> (Oh, and the word 'I' should always be Upper Case
> in English - *always*.)
>
> --
> Andrew Thompsonhttp://www.athompson.info/andrew/

please limit replies to those directly relating to the conversation at
hand...

0
Johnny
9/21/2007 6:45:07 AM
On Sep 21, 12:45 am, Johnny Danger <jpaez1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 12:04 am, "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> wrote:
>

> > Johnny Danger wrote:
> > >Hello all.  I have a very simple problem.  I am seeking to develop
> > >java apps on mepis linux (ver. 3.4-3).  I have installed jdk 1.6.0 and
> > >i am having runtime error problems.
> > ..
> > >package start;
> > ..
> > >Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
> > >bin/java HelloWorldSwing
>
> > The fully qualified name of this class is 'start.HelloWorldSwing'.
>
> > Perhaps you might run it using
> > ..java start.HellowWorldSwing
>
> > OTOH - I guess then you will be getting a 'wrong package'
> > or similar error.
>
> > As an initial test, I would recommend commenting out
> > or removing the package statement, then recompiling it
> > and trying again with.
> > ..java HelloWorldSwing
>
> > Then you might (later) figure how to compile and run
> > packaged code.
> > ..
>
> > >As you all see, I have tried several methods of running the program,
> > >but it will not work.  I feel like a simpleton, but does anyone have
> > >any suggestions? It seems that java is having a hard time finding
> > >my .class file.  I dunno...
>
> > For best help, it is advisable to use the more
> > common forms of expressions (no 'slang').
> > Note that *many* of the people who contribute
> > to these forums speak Engilsh as a Second
> > (3rd.. etc.) Language, and might not recognise
> > 'dunno' as 'do not know'.  Also, many of us who
> > *do* speak English as a native tongue, simply
> > don't like seeing such abbreviations.
>
> > That being said, I myself occasionally use slang
> > words, but usually only in replies to people whom
> > I am confident would understand what I mean.
>
> > (Oh, and the word 'I' should always be Upper Case
> > in English - *always*.)
>
> > --
> > Andrew Thompsonhttp://www.athompson.info/andrew/

> please limit replies to those directly relating to the conversation at
> hand...

got a *useful* reply to this question on another thread.  'thanx'
anyway. i really appreciate it.

0
Johnny
9/21/2007 7:00:13 AM
On Sep 21, 5:00 pm, Johnny Danger <jpaez1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 12:45 am, Johnny Danger <jpaez1...@gmail.com> wrote:

Being a multi-poster is a fairly siple problem to
fix.  Your other problems, incluung the over
inflated sense of self entitlement, are more
tricky.

> > >I am seeking to develop
> > > ..
> > > ..
>
> > > The fully qualified name of this class is 'start.HelloWorldSwing'.
>
> > > Perhaps you might run it using
> > > ..java start.HellowWorldSwing
>
> > > OTOH - I guess then you will be getting a 'wrong package'
> > > or similar error.
>
> > > As an initial test, I would recommend commenting out
> > > or removing the package statement, then recompiling it
> > > and trying again with.
> > > ..java HelloWorldSwing
>
> > > Then you might (later) figure how to compile and run
> > > packaged code.
> > > ..

> > > For best help, it is advisable to use the more
> > > common forms of expressions (no 'slang').
> > > Note that *many* of the people who contribute
> > > to these forums speak Engilsh as a Second
> > > (3rd.. etc.) Language, and might not recognise
> > > 'dunno' as 'do not know'.  Also, many of us who
> > > *do* speak English as a native tongue, simply
> > > don't like seeing such abbreviations.
>
> > > That being said, I myself occasionally use slang
> > > words, but usually only in replies to people whom
> > > I am confident would understand what I mean.
>
> > > (Oh, and the word 'I' should always be Upper Case
> > > in English - *always*.)
> > please limit replies to those directly relating to the conversation at
> > hand...

Pleas get yourself a help-desk.  These are
discussion forums.

> got a *useful* reply to this question on another thread.

Sure you did.  Six minutes later than my
reply on your first thread, that pointed
out the same thing.

(Title changed, and x-posted to c.l.j.p./h.
in effots to combine the multi-post, with
follow-ups to c.l.j.h. only)

Andrew T.

0
Andrew
9/21/2007 7:24:23 AM
Johnny Danger wrote:
> please limit replies to those directly relating to the conversation at
> hand...

What are you, the topic police?

Andrew's replies were relevant, and helpful if you take them right.

--
Lew
0
On Sep 21, 3:24 am, Andrew Thompson <andrewtho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 5:00 pm, Johnny Danger <jpaez1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Being a multi-poster is a fairly siple problem to
> fix.

Nor is it an obviously relevant one here.

[unprovoked insults aimed at the OP snipped]

[lots of quoted material snipped, most of which is totally bogus --
none of the other articles in this thread contain e.g. this:]

> > > please limit replies to those directly relating to the conversation at
> > > hand...

[snip rest]

> Pleas get yourself a help-desk.  These are
> discussion forums.

The original post seemed perfectly polite and on-topic to me. It is
detailed; it even contains an SSCCE. Yet you respond not only
negatively, but in a manner that makes it seem you are actually
replying to something else entirely and your reply was posted to the
wrong thread.

Your response is frankly baffling, Andrew.

AFAICT, either you posted your response to thread A into thread B, or
at least you're referencing events in thread A in thread B instead of
confining your reply in thread B to subject matter raised in thread B.
Thread B in this case not having previously involved any grammar
quibbles, nor any of the other mostly non-Java-related things you rave
and ramble on about in your post.

Contrast your response with Gordon's, which follows quite logically
from the OP's post and which resulted in a polite thank-you from the
OP.

0
nebulous99
9/21/2007 1:44:43 PM
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:39:39 -0700, Johnny Danger
<jpaez1020@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>Aesotericon@5[HelloWorldSwing]$ /home/Aesotericon/Documents/jdk1.6.0/
>bin/java HelloWorldSwing

your class's name is start.HelloWorldSwing not HelloWorldSwing

see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/runerrormessages.html#NOCLASSDEFFOUNDERROR
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
said :

>got a *useful* reply to this question on another thread.  'thanx'
>anyway. i really appreciate it.

Like gold, the good stuff usually comes with a "ore" you have to dig
through.  If you are rude to people who give you less than perfect
answers, you will find not just that person, but others won't answer
you pleas in future because they don't want to risk being chastised
for imperfection.

Keep in mind you are not ENTITLED to any answer at all.  ANYTHING you
get is a gift.  If you start acting in the least  like a little
potentate ordering around the servants, you will head straight to the
killfiles.

As you will likely be reminded many times in future, this is not a
help desk.  This is a discussion group.  Your posts are merely fodder
for the free-ranging discussion, not commands to the staff.  If some
of it turns out to be useful to you, that is a lucky happenstance.