Accessing Access database files

Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
database?

I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
it because all my computers run Linux.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
> program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
> database?
>
> I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
> contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
> it because all my computers run Linux.

I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says:

"You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling:

Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver")

Then you can use JDBC database URL in form:

jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb

or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias:

jdbc:odbc:northwind

"

You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed
in JDK 8.  You can find drivers in a couple of places:

http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/
http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html

0
markspace
7/1/2014 4:55:30 PM
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -0700, markspace wrote:

> On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>> program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>> database?
>>
>> I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
>> contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
>> it because all my computers run Linux.
>

> I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says:
>
> "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling:
>
> Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver")
>
> Then you can use JDBC database URL in form:
>
> jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb
>
> or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias:
>
> jdbc:odbc:northwind
>
> "
>
> You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed
> in JDK 8.  You can find drivers in a couple of places:
>
> http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/
> http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html

Does this stuff work without a copy of the Access software?
I'm puzzled because EasySoft makes a big fuss about leaving the .mdb file
on the PC its always lived on, but I have the .mdb files I'd like to look
at already on my Linux box.

What this is about: I'm in the process of taking over the Roster Manager
role for my gliding club. The task is primarily concerned with looking
after the rosters database. There is currently no ERD for it, so it would
be nice if I could use the jsql tool to look at the schema by accessing
the .mdb file.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On 7/1/2014 12:55 PM, markspace wrote:
> On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>> program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>> database?
>>
>> I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
>> contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
>> it because all my computers run Linux.
>

> I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says:
>
> "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling:
>
> Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver")
>
> Then you can use JDBC database URL in form:
>
> jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb
>
> or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias:
>
> jdbc:odbc:northwind
>
> "

If you are on Windows then it works somewhat OK.

The JDBC ODB bridge has some problems (at least early version did not
support multi-threaded usage) and Access has some limitations as
database.

But many people including me has used it. One just need to
know what not to do with the config.

Arne

0
UTF
7/2/2014 1:01:01 AM
On 7/1/2014 12:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
> program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
> database?
>
> I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
> contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
> it because all my computers run Linux.

I don't think you can get it to work.

The semi-official way to do it is to use the JDBC ODBC bridge.

But that uses the Access ODBC driver which only exist on Windows.

You need a Windows computer.

Arne

0
UTF
7/2/2014 2:47:54 AM
On 7/1/2014 7:47 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> The semi-official way to do it is to use the JDBC ODBC bridge.
>
> But that uses the Access ODBC driver which only exist on Windows.
>
> You need a Windows computer.

Two of the links I posted used Java only, and therefore will run on any
system that runs a JRE/JDK.

0
markspace
7/2/2014 3:11:39 AM
Martin Gregorie <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

>Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>database?
>
>I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
>contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
>it because all my computers run Linux.

You need a JDBC driver for the Access database. Google turned up this
one <http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html>. The site includes
some details to help connect the database to Open Office so you can
examine the tables without writing any Java code.

I haven't tried it because I use the JDBC-ODBC bridge on a Windows
machine but that would require an ODBC driver on your Linux computer.

0
Gordon
7/2/2014 6:57:27 AM
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -0700, markspace wrote:

> You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed
> in JDK 8.  You can find drivers in a couple of places:
>
> http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/
> http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html

Thanks for those references. They look like exactly what I was hoping to
find. So does the SQLeo application which is referenced from the
UCanAcccess website.

I kind of skipped over them  at first: my bad. My excuse is that I'd been
searching for ODBC/JDBC drivers earlier and had only found expensive paid-
for offerings (the same price or more than Access itself) that all
targeted Access the database server rather than reading the file directly
as I now see that Jackcess does.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 16:57:27 +1000, Gordon Levi wrote:

> Martin Gregorie <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>>program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>>database?
>>
>>I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
>>contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
>>it because all my computers run Linux.
>
> You need a JDBC driver for the Access database. Google turned up this
> one <http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html>. The site includes
> some details to help connect the database to Open Office so you can
> examine the tables without writing any Java code.
>
> I haven't tried it because I use the JDBC-ODBC bridge on a Windows
> machine but that would require an ODBC driver on your Linux computer.

Actually, UCanAccess fits the bill almost perfectly and using SQLeo
rather than Office Libre as the client application gets closer to what I
need for looking at the DB schema. Either oocalc or a very simple bit of
Java that can write query results into a text file can handle my data
extraction needs.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
someone who said :

>Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>database?

have a look at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html

under the ODBC bridge.  I that is how you can get at them, not wildly
efficient, but I doubt you need it.

A program is only as good as its worst piece of code.
~ Joshua Cramer
0
Roedy
7/2/2014 4:40:30 PM
On 02.07.2014 12:20, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> Actually, UCanAccess fits the bill almost perfectly and using SQLeo
> rather than Office Libre as the client application gets closer to what I
> need for looking at the DB schema. Either oocalc or a very simple bit of
> Java that can write query results into a text file can handle my data
> extraction needs.

Thanks for the pointer!  I always used Open/Libre Office when in needed
to access an Access database - even for modifications.

Kind regards

	robert

0
Robert
7/2/2014 6:22:26 PM
On 07/01/2014 12:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
> program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
> database?
>
> I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
> contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
> it because all my computers run Linux.

I'm pretty sure Open Office will open Access databases?

0
Jeff
7/2/2014 9:08:56 PM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 09:40:30 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 16:28:25 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
> <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>>Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>>program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>>database?
>
> have a look at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html
>
> under the ODBC bridge.  I that is how you can get at them, not wildly
> efficient, but I doubt you need it.

There appear to be better solutions than the ODBC bridge.

I haven't tried using it yet, but UCanAccess + Jackcess + HSQLDB together
make up a JDBC driver, it says, that can read and write Access databases
without a byte of Windows code being involved. It appears that the whole
thing fits together like this:
 - Jackcess 2.0 understands the Access file structure at the
   schema/table/locking(I think) level
 - HSQLDB 2.25 contributes the SQL engine
 - UCanAccess 2.x.x binds it all together and turns it into a functional
   JDBC driver.

I like JDBC: I've been using it for a while now to access a PostgreSQL
database. Performnance is better than I initially expected and it pretty
much 'just works' and keeps on doing so despite software, hardware and OS
upgrades.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:08:56 -0400, Jeff Higgins wrote:

> On 07/01/2014 12:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>> program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>> database?
>>
>> I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table
>> contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run
>> it because all my computers run Linux.
>>

> I'm pretty sure Open Office will open Access databases?

Yes, its known to do that, but the usual run of ODBC/JDBC drivers almost
certainly expect the JET database server to be involved. I don't have JET
or an OS it would run on, hence my interest in using UCanAccess.

UCanAccess is a JDBC driver written in Java that incorporates Java class
libraries to give it direct access to the Access database files and an
SQL engine. Because if this it has been shown to let Libre Office and
Open Office, running under Linux, read and write Access database files
installed locally on the same Linux box. This is exactly what I need.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On 7/1/2014 11:11 PM, markspace wrote:
> On 7/1/2014 7:47 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> The semi-official way to do it is to use the JDBC ODBC bridge.
>>
>> But that uses the Access ODBC driver which only exist on Windows.
>>
>> You need a Windows computer.
>
> Two of the links I posted used Java only, and therefore will run on any
> system that runs a JRE/JDK.

Really just one. The second software use the first software
for file access.

Such software do exist.

But it is based on reverse engineering. If it works then fine, but
if it don't then little to do about it.

Arne

0
UTF
7/3/2014 1:05:19 AM
On 7/2/2014 6:03 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -0700, markspace wrote:
>> You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed
>> in JDK 8.  You can find drivers in a couple of places:
>>
>> http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/
>> http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html
>>
> Thanks for those references. They look like exactly what I was hoping to
> find. So does the SQLeo application which is referenced from the
> UCanAcccess website.

If they suit your needs then fine.

> I kind of skipped over them  at first: my bad. My excuse is that I'd been
> searching for ODBC/JDBC drivers earlier and had only found expensive paid-
> for offerings (the same price or more than Access itself) that all
> targeted Access the database server rather than reading the file directly
> as I now see that Jackcess does.

There are no such thing as a MS Access database server.

MS Access is always embedded.

Arne

0
UTF
7/3/2014 1:06:37 AM
On 7/2/2014 5:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 09:40:30 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 16:28:25 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
>> <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
>> someone who said :
>>
>>> Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>>> program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>>> database?
>>
>> have a look at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html
>>
>> under the ODBC bridge.  I that is how you can get at them, not wildly
>> efficient, but I doubt you need it.
>>
> There appear to be better solutions than the ODBC bridge.
>
> I haven't tried using it yet, but UCanAccess + Jackcess + HSQLDB together
> make up a JDBC driver, it says, that can read and write Access databases
> without a byte of Windows code being involved. It appears that the whole
> thing fits together like this:
>   - Jackcess 2.0 understands the Access file structure at the
>     schema/table/locking(I think) level
>   - HSQLDB 2.25 contributes the SQL engine
>   - UCanAccess 2.x.x binds it all together and turns it into a functional
>     JDBC driver.

I would be reluctant to consider some reverse engineered code
better in general than what Oracle and MS support.

But you have a requirement to run on Linux and the Oracle & MS
solution only runs on Windows so in that context it is definitely better.

Arne

0
UTF
7/3/2014 1:09:38 AM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:06:37 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> On 7/2/2014 6:03 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -0700, markspace wrote:
>>> You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed
>>> in JDK 8.  You can find drivers in a couple of places:
>>>
>>> http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/
>>> http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html
>>>
>> Thanks for those references. They look like exactly what I was hoping
>> to find. So does the SQLeo application which is referenced from the
>> UCanAcccess website.
>
> If they suit your needs then fine.
>
>> I kind of skipped over them  at first: my bad. My excuse is that I'd
>> been searching for ODBC/JDBC drivers earlier and had only found
>> expensive paid-
>> for offerings (the same price or more than Access itself) that all
>> targeted Access the database server rather than reading the file
>> directly as I now see that Jackcess does.
>
> There are no such thing as a MS Access database server.

What about the JET server?

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On 7/3/2014 5:48 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:06:37 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

>>> Thanks for those references. They look like exactly what I was hoping
>>> to find. So does the SQLeo application which is referenced from the
>>> UCanAcccess website.
>>
>> If they suit your needs then fine.
>>
>>> I kind of skipped over them  at first: my bad. My excuse is that I'd
>>> been searching for ODBC/JDBC drivers earlier and had only found
>>> expensive paid-
>>> for offerings (the same price or more than Access itself) that all
>>> targeted Access the database server rather than reading the file
>>> directly as I now see that Jackcess does.
>>
>> There are no such thing as a MS Access database server.
>>
> What about the JET server?

Never heard about it.

Google seems to indicate that it is a Solaris admin tool of
some kind.

What is it?

Arne

0
UTF
7/3/2014 8:31:33 PM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:31:33 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> On 7/3/2014 5:48 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> What about the JET server?
>
> Never heard about it.
>
> Google seems to indicate that it is a Solaris admin tool of some kind.
>
> What is it?

I think a number of products from different sources share the JET moniker
but AFAIK only MS use it for a database engine.

Its the database server part of MS Access. Add a graphical package to it
and there's your desktop Access app. It can use ODBC to connect to other
databases or to accept ODBC connections from clients. And, of course,
wherever ODBC goes, JDBC can go too.

More than yo ever wanted to know can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Access

I've known the name for years (it stands for Joint Engine Technology) and
that it was the guts of Access but never more than  that. Now you know
why I was surprised and gratified to find that there is a JDBC driver
that can access .MDB files without talking to the MS Jet database engine.

There is also an ODBC equivalent, written in C++, to the JDBC UCanAccess
driver but it can only read .mdb files.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
someone who said :

>Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>database?

Would a solution of this form be feasible?

1. Persuade Access to export its data in some simple form, e.g. CSV
2. import into some more tractable database like PostGre.
A program is only as good as its worst piece of code.
~ Joshua Cramer
0
Roedy
7/5/2014 11:28:02 PM
On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 16:28:02 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 16:28:25 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
> <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>>Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>>program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>>database?
>
> Would a solution of this form be feasible?
>
> 1. Persuade Access to export its data in some simple form, e.g. CSV 2.
> import into some more tractable database like PostGre.

Thats not needed: just install the UCanAccess JDBC driver.

There can be major problems with moving data from one RDBMS to another.
While its relatively simple to do if the source schema was fully
normalised, i.e. all tables are in 3NF, there are still potential
problems that arise from differences between SQL dialects since very few
RDBMSs implement fully standards-compliant SQL: PostgreSQL is one of the
better ones. Common problem areas include migrating schemas between RDBMSs
that implement auto-incrementing data types and those that use sequences
and there can be problems with BLOBs and CLOBs.

A big issue with Access databases is that they have often been cobbled
together by a non-specialist who have never heard of normalisation,
referential integrity or prime keys and who think that tables containing
arrays and lots of derived values are the bee's knees. Don't ask me how I
know.....

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Martin Gregorie <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 16:28:02 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 16:28:25 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
>> <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
>> someone who said :
>>
>>>Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>>>program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>>>database?
>>
>> Would a solution of this form be feasible?
>>
>> 1. Persuade Access to export its data in some simple form, e.g. CSV 2.
>> import into some more tractable database like PostGre.
>
>Thats not needed: just install the UCanAccess JDBC driver.

Did it all work as expected? My application needs a major upgrade and
it would be a good time to throw out the JDBC-ODBC bridge.

[snip]
0
Gordon
7/6/2014 9:01:18 AM
On 7/5/2014 7:28 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 16:28:25 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
> <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>> Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java
>> program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access
>> database?
>
> Would a solution of this form be feasible?
>
> 1. Persuade Access to export its data in some simple form, e.g. CSV
> 2. import into some more tractable database like PostGre.

If he had had a Windows system: yes. But apparently he do not.

Anyway he has found a library that can read the MDB file, so
he should be good.

Arne

0
ISO
7/6/2014 3:55:48 PM
On 7/3/2014 6:03 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:31:33 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>
>> On 7/3/2014 5:48 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>
>>> What about the JET server?
>>
>> Never heard about it.
>>
>> Google seems to indicate that it is a Solaris admin tool of some kind.
>>
>> What is it?
>>
> I think a number of products from different sources share the JET moniker
> but AFAIK only MS use it for a database engine.
>
> Its the database server part of MS Access.

There are no database server in MS Access. It is embedded database only.

> More than yo ever wanted to know can be found here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Access

That articles not not mention any "JET server" at all. In fact it
explicit states:

"Microsoft Access is a file server-based database"

> I've known the name for years (it stands for Joint Engine Technology) and
> that it was the guts of Access but never more than  that. Now you know
> why I was surprised and gratified to find that there is a JDBC driver
> that can access .MDB files without talking to the MS Jet database engine.

The data exist in a disk file. Of course you can write Java code that
can read that file.

But MS only supports going through the Jet Engine.

Arne

0
UTF
7/6/2014 4:01:32 PM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 12:01:32 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> On 7/3/2014 6:03 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

>>> Never heard about it.
>>>
>>> Google seems to indicate that it is a Solaris admin tool of some kind.
>>>
>>> What is it?
>>>
>> I think a number of products from different sources share the JET
>> moniker but AFAIK only MS use it for a database engine.
>>
>> Its the database server part of MS Access.
>
> There are no database server in MS Access. It is embedded database only.
>
>> More than yo ever wanted to know can be found here:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Access
>
> That articles not not mention any "JET server" at all. In fact it
> explicit states:
>
> "Microsoft Access is a file server-based database"

This is "no mention at all"?

"Microsoft Access, also known as Microsoft Office Access, is a database
management system from Microsoft that combines the relational Microsoft
Jet Database Engine with a graphical user interface and software-
development tools."
- the first sentence on the page I posted the URL for.

> The data exist in a disk file. Of course you can write Java code that
> can read that file.

Of course, and the Java code exists. Jackcess is a Java class library
that implements low level access to it and UCanAccess is a Java class
library is a JDBC driver which delegates file access to Jackcess and SQL
interpretation to the HSQLDB class library.

> But MS only supports going through the Jet Engine.

Indeed, and very many of the ODBC Access drivers connect to it, though it
can be quite difficult to understand exactly what any particular driver
does because descriptions provided by the authors and vendors of third
party drivers are often anything but clear. I think MS-provided ODBC
drivers use the JET Database Engine.

And, since at least some JDBC Access drivers are wrappers for ODBC
drivers, its safe to say that the same applies to them too. My original
search, which was probably for "JDBC Access", only found a few commercial
drivers with eye-watering prices and which failed to say whether or not
they used the JET Database Engine to handle Access database files.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On 7/6/2014 12:42 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 12:01:32 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

>>> I think a number of products from different sources share the JET
>>> moniker but AFAIK only MS use it for a database engine.
>>>
>>> Its the database server part of MS Access.
>>
>> There are no database server in MS Access. It is embedded database only.
>>
>>> More than yo ever wanted to know can be found here:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Access
>>
>> That articles not not mention any "JET server" at all. In fact it
>> explicit states:
>>
>> "Microsoft Access is a file server-based database"
>>
> This is "no mention at all"?

Correct.

> "Microsoft Access, also known as Microsoft Office Access, is a database
> management system from Microsoft that combines the relational Microsoft
> Jet Database Engine with a graphical user interface and software-
> development tools."
> - the first sentence on the page I posted the URL for.

I can really not see the term "JET server" anywhere in that paragraph.

It talks about DBMS and engine, which does not imply a server. They
apply to both database servers and embedded databases.

Arne

0
UTF
7/6/2014 4:45:01 PM
On 7/6/2014 12:42 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 12:01:32 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> The data exist in a disk file. Of course you can write Java code that
>> can read that file.
>>
> Of course, and the Java code exists. Jackcess is a Java class library
> that implements low level access to it and UCanAccess is a Java class
> library is a JDBC driver which delegates file access to Jackcess and SQL
> interpretation to the HSQLDB class library.
>
>> But MS only supports going through the Jet Engine.
>>
> Indeed, and very many of the ODBC Access drivers connect to it, though it
> can be quite difficult to understand exactly what any particular driver
> does because descriptions provided by the authors and vendors of third
> party drivers are often anything but clear. I think MS-provided ODBC
> drivers use the JET Database Engine.

I am sure it does.

> And, since at least some JDBC Access drivers are wrappers for ODBC
> drivers, its safe to say that the same applies to them too. My original
> search, which was probably for "JDBC Access", only found a few commercial
> drivers with eye-watering prices and which failed to say whether or not
> they used the JET Database Engine to handle Access database files.

Very likely they do. Selling a commercial product based on reverse
engineering of MDB format would be rather risky.

Arne

0
UTF
7/6/2014 4:47:29 PM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:01:18 +1000, Gordon Levi wrote:

> Martin Gregorie <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 16:28:02 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 16:28:25 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
>>> <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted

>>> Would a solution of this form be feasible?
>>>
>>> 1. Persuade Access to export its data in some simple form, e.g. CSV 2.
>>> import into some more tractable database like PostGre.
>>
>>Thats not needed: just install the UCanAccess JDBC driver.
>
> Did it all work as expected? My application needs a major upgrade and it
> would be a good time to throw out the JDBC-ODBC bridge.

I haven't got around to trying it yet: sorry. I'm still in the process of
getting my head round the system I'm taking over as superuser/webmaster.
Its written in ASP.net running under IIS and using an Access database
(obviously) which is 'soon' to be replaced by an equivalent level SQL
Server[1]. As I wouldn't know ASP.net from S/360 BAL and anyway there
seems to be no schema definition or ERD. Since I don't have anything that
can run Access code but do have copies of the .mdf files, I'm hoping to
use UCanAccess plus a client such as SQLeo to extract a schema diagram I
can make sense of and, as a bonus, use that or write a simple Java app
that can extract one or two lists that I'd find useful as webmaster.

Hopefully I'll find time over the next week or two to install UCanAccess
and try some of this stuff out.

When I do, I'll post my findings here.

However, I believe MS is in the process of dumping Access in favour of
supporting just SQL Server, which is why we're due to migrate our system
to SQL Server Compact which seems to be a free version of the DBMS. You
might want to consider that too. And before you ask, no, I haven't even
begun to look for stand-alone JDBC drivers for it.

[1] SQL Server Compact. Literally all I know about it at this point is
that it stores data in .sdf files just as Access stores data in .mdb
files, so its no use at all to ask me anything more about it.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On 7/6/2014 1:11 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:01:18 +1000, Gordon Levi wrote:
>
>> Martin Gregorie <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

>>> Thats not needed: just install the UCanAccess JDBC driver.
>>
>> Did it all work as expected? My application needs a major upgrade and it
>> would be a good time to throw out the JDBC-ODBC bridge.
>>
> I haven't got around to trying it yet: sorry. I'm still in the process of
> getting my head round the system I'm taking over as superuser/webmaster.
> Its written in ASP.net running under IIS and using an Access database
> (obviously) which is 'soon' to be replaced by an equivalent level SQL
> Server[1]. As I wouldn't know ASP.net from S/360 BAL and anyway there
> seems to be no schema definition or ERD. Since I don't have anything that
> can run Access code but do have copies of the .mdf files, I'm hoping to
                                                 ^^^^
> use UCanAccess plus a client such as SQLeo to extract a schema diagram I
> can make sense of and, as a bonus, use that or write a simple Java app
> that can extract one or two lists that I'd find useful as webmaster.

Pull the break!

Is is a MDB file or a MDF file?

MDB => Access

MDF => SQLServer

Arne

0
UTF
7/6/2014 7:17:10 PM
On 7/6/2014 1:11 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> However, I believe MS is in the process of dumping Access in favour of
> supporting just SQL Server, which is why we're due to migrate our system

That process has been ongoing for the past 15+ years and I suspect that
it will be ongoing for the next 15 years as well.

With the widely usage of MS Office, the large number of MS Access
databases out there and the support for MS Access databases by
third party tools then it is like getting rid of COBOL.

> to SQL Server Compact which seems to be a free version of the DBMS. You
> might want to consider that too. And before you ask, no, I haven't even
> begun to look for stand-alone JDBC drivers for it.
>
> [1] SQL Server Compact. Literally all I know about it at this point is
> that it stores data in .sdf files just as Access stores data in .mdb
> files, so its no use at all to ask me anything more about it.

Contrary to the name SQLServer CE is not an edition of SQLServer.

SQLServer CE is an embedded database that are not very widely known,
but it is actually quite nice. If I had to use an embedded database
in .NET environment, then it would be my pick too.

Unfortunately no JBDC driver.

MS do supply a JDBC driver for the real SQLServer.

Arne

0
UTF
7/6/2014 7:27:47 PM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:17:10 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> Is is a MDB file or a MDF file?

MDB (unspotted finger trouble).

I haven't had anything to do with Sybase since version 11. That was just
before MS bought a license for version 12, applied their own tweaks and
started to sell it as SQL Server. I imagine its diverged quite a bit
since then. For starters, Sybase 11 used raw disk partitions as its data
store, rather than files.

I haven't knowingly used SQL Server at all.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:27:47 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> Contrary to the name SQLServer CE is not an edition of SQLServer.

Yes, I know that: I've read the summary. Presumably SQL Server CE is now
as dead as WinCE.

I don't know what exactly  SQL Server Compact is, but it isn't SQL Server
CE. Maybe MS has (slightly) reused a name, but SQL Server Compact seems
to be a free-to-download replacement for Access - it certainly uses the
same paradigm of having mapping both metadata (schema) and data into a
single file with an .sdf extension.

> SQLServer CE is an embedded database that are not very widely known, but
> it is actually quite nice. If I had to use an embedded database in .NET
> environment, then it would be my pick too.

Maybe SQL Server Compact is SQL Server CE recompiled to run on Windows
Server boxes?

> MS do supply a JDBC driver for the real SQLServer.

Good, and if SQL Server is a true server family, as opposed to IBM-style
product naming kludge[*], it will work with all members of the family?
That would be a really good thing to have.

[*] I'm thinking of SNA, where any commonality between SNA/LU2 (aka 3270
Bisync) and SNA/LU6 is a figment of a salesdroid#s imagination.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On 7/6/2014 6:37 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:27:47 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>
>> Contrary to the name SQLServer CE is not an edition of SQLServer.
>>
> Yes, I know that: I've read the summary. Presumably SQL Server CE is now
> as dead as WinCE.
>
> I don't know what exactly  SQL Server Compact is, but it isn't SQL Server
> CE. Maybe MS has (slightly) reused a name, but SQL Server Compact seems
> to be a free-to-download replacement for Access - it certainly uses the
> same paradigm of having mapping both metadata (schema) and data into a
> single file with an .sdf extension.
>
>> SQLServer CE is an embedded database that are not very widely known, but
>> it is actually quite nice. If I had to use an embedded database in .NET
>> environment, then it would be my pick too.
>>
> Maybe SQL Server Compact is SQL Server CE recompiled to run on Windows
> Server boxes?

SQLServer Compact is often abbreviated SQLServer CE.

I think:
   CE = Compact Edition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Server_Compact

Arne

0
UTF
7/6/2014 11:06:30 PM
On 7/6/2014 3:30 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:17:10 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> Is is a MDB file or a MDF file?
>>
> MDB (unspotted finger trouble).

It happens.

> I haven't had anything to do with Sybase since version 11. That was just
> before MS bought a license for version 12, applied their own tweaks and
> started to sell it as SQL Server.

????

The last Sybase version MS got from Sybase was 4.x in 1992. They did
not get 10.x from 1993 / 11.x from 1995 / 12.x from 1999.

Arne

0
UTF
7/6/2014 11:10:46 PM
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:10:46 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> On 7/6/2014 3:30 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:17:10 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>> Is is a MDB file or a MDF file?
>>>
>> MDB (unspotted finger trouble).
>
> It happens.
>
>> I haven't had anything to do with Sybase since version 11. That was
>> just before MS bought a license for version 12, applied their own
>> tweaks and started to sell it as SQL Server.
>
> ????
>
> The last Sybase version MS got from Sybase was 4.x in 1992. They did not
> get 10.x from 1993 / 11.x from 1995 / 12.x from 1999.

OK, if you say so. Are you sure they didn't get an initial license in '92
and then re-licensed for a later version on '96 or therabouts?

My recollection is that I was working with Sybase 11 in 95/96 on NCR UNIX
boxes and that was when MS announced that it had bought a license for
Sybase. Back in '92 I'd been involved in briefly looking at Sybase for a
project we'd been designing as an alternative for using ICL mainframe
kit: I'd didn't do any serious work with Sybase databases before the mid
1990s and so the news that MS had bought a license in '92 would likely
have gone straight over my head: most of the database stuff I did back
then was with IDMS rather than relational databases.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:06:30 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> On 7/6/2014 6:37 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:27:47 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>
>>> Contrary to the name SQLServer CE is not an edition of SQLServer.
>>>
>> Yes, I know that: I've read the summary. Presumably SQL Server CE is
>> now as dead as WinCE.
>>
>> I don't know what exactly  SQL Server Compact is, but it isn't SQL
>> Server CE. Maybe MS has (slightly) reused a name, but SQL Server
>> Compact seems to be a free-to-download replacement for Access - it
>> certainly uses the same paradigm of having mapping both metadata
>> (schema) and data into a single file with an .sdf extension.
>>
>>> SQLServer CE is an embedded database that are not very widely known,
>>> but it is actually quite nice. If I had to use an embedded database in
>>> .NET environment, then it would be my pick too.
>>>
>> Maybe SQL Server Compact is SQL Server CE recompiled to run on Windows
>> Server boxes?
>
> SQLServer Compact is often abbreviated SQLServer CE.
>
> I think:
>    CE = Compact Edition.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Server_Compact

Thanks for that: it clarifies things a lot.

I use the LK8000 gliding navigation app, which runs on Win CE based
Personal Navigation Assistants (PNAs), so I was reading the CE
abbreviation and references to mobile devices as equating CE with Windows
CE 5/6 and applications that run on it. Pardon my confusion.

So, it looks as though SQL Server Compact is intended to be pretty much a
drop-in replacement[*] for Access, particularly for systems that use ODBC
or JDBC as their DBMS interface. I'd wondered, too, if it might suffer
from the general MS filesize limitation of 4GB. It does.

[*] if you ignore the differences between SQL dialects and, possibly,
differences in the way commit works.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On 7/7/2014 7:45 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:06:30 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>>>
>>> Maybe SQL Server Compact is SQL Server CE recompiled to run on Windows
>>> Server boxes?
>>
>> SQLServer Compact is often abbreviated SQLServer CE.
>>
>> I think:
>>     CE = Compact Edition.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Server_Compact
>>
> Thanks for that: it clarifies things a lot.

> So, it looks as though SQL Server Compact is intended to be pretty much a
> drop-in replacement[*] for Access,

It is.

>                                   particularly for systems that use ODBC
> or JDBC as their DBMS interface.

Not so.

SQLServer CE does not come with ODBC or JDBC at all.

It only comes with OLE DB (ADO) and ADO.NET providers.

>                              I'd wondered, too, if it might suffer
> from the general MS filesize limitation of 4GB. It does.

The general MS file size limitation is 16 TB for older Windows
and 256 TB for newer Windows.

(well it was 2/4 GB if we go back to Win9x in the 1990's)

But yes - SQLServer CE is limited to 4 GB.

I don't think it is that bad. If you need more space, then you
should probably go SQLServer anyway.

Arne

0
UTF
7/7/2014 9:50:19 PM
 The general MS file size limitation is 16 TB for older Windows and 256
> TB for newer Windows.
>
> (well it was 2/4 GB if we go back to Win9x in the 1990's)

Yep - FAT32 limitation.

> But yes - SQLServer CE is limited to 4 GB.
>
> I don't think it is that bad. If you need more space, then you should
> probably go SQLServer anyway.

True enough.

I get the impression that FAT-32 is still alive and kicking as the
default FS on a lot of small/medium flash drives, so they just might have
retained the 4GB limit to make it easier to backup or transfer database
files on these media.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On 7/7/2014 6:34 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> But yes - SQLServer CE is limited to 4 GB.
>>
>> I don't think it is that bad. If you need more space, then you should
>> probably go SQLServer anyway.
>>
> True enough.
>
> I get the impression that FAT-32 is still alive and kicking as the
> default FS on a lot of small/medium flash drives, so they just might have
> retained the 4GB limit to make it easier to backup or transfer database
> files on these media.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/stevelasker/archive/2006/11/13/doc-storage-in-sqlce-and-the-4gb-limit.aspx

indicates that it is the device ancestry that is the main cause.

Arne

0
UTF

Java access to Microsoft Access database through Samba
Hi, I need to access from an JSP application in a Linux server to a Microsoft Access database (only read) that is in another Windows server (only accepts users in its domain, that are different from Linux server users) I have configured Samba so that I can access to the database file. When I access through the folder navigator of Linux it requests me user, domain and password and access without problems. I do not know, how to access from a Java/JSP application, it's possible to do it? what driver I must use? it is necessary to configure Samaba to have permission some user in parti...

[...]

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soam...

access to Access
I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect to an Access database with RB. Is that (still) true? If so, that would be a show stipper for us. Thanks for any insight, dave In article <1187719558.603002.257260@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Dave <davegp2@msn.com> wrote: > I've been reading some old posts that talk of an inability to connect > to an Access database with RB. Is that (still) true? If so, that > would be a show stipper for us. I've never tried it, but I think you should be able to access Access via ...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and mo...

Accessing access
Can anyone help me please? This has been driving me nuts for ages. I want to use vb 6.0 to control data in a database (an access database). I've looked at tutorial all over the net but I don't want to use a data grid or anything like that because I want to control the database, not see it. So far, from one tutorial I've managed to get something on the lines of this ****************************************** dim db as Database Set db = OpenDatabase("E:\BT.mdb") dim rspeople as recordset set rspeople = db.openrecordset("people") **************...

No access to .dbf files in access 97 after installing access 2003
Hello, I need to maintain an access97 database that is linked to dbf's, but after having installed access 2003, when I try to link a .dbf file to an access97 database, I only have access and odbc when the dialog box to choose the external table comes up. I tried going to control panel and change my office 97 setup. When I go to the data access option, dbf is grayed out with a checkmark in it and it states that dbf access is already installed. Yet, I don't have access to that option when trying to link my dbf table to the access97 database. Any way to get that option back on? Than...

Open Access Database Form from within Access database
I have included the following code to open an Access database form from within an exsisting Access database. But when I run the code, it appears that it opens the database because in windows explorer I can see the database has the .ldb file extension. So it appears that it's open, but I can't see the database or the form that I've tried to open. What am I doing wrong. The following is the code: 'This is in the declaration part of the module Dim appAccess As Access.Application ' Initialize string to database path. Const strConPathToSamples = "C:\Documents a...

Access Security
Hello, What is the best way (if it can be done) to Access a Microsoft Access 2002 database using VB? I can connect to one no problem until I set up security and have a workgroup file. I can't find any kind of connection that lets you change which workgroup information to use. At the moment I get kicked out because I am an unknown user (which is true in the default system.mdw file...). Anyone got any ideas? TIA, Neil. ...

Function to Prevent Open MDB via Access File Menu (Access 2000 AND Access 2002
Hello Does anyone know where I can obtain a function to test whetber my front-end is open via the provided icon vs. the Access 2000/2002 file menu? I want to test the open.mdb and if opened via the Access file menu prevent opening the mdb. I know I saw something way back on such a function or test on startup in this group.. THank you. -D What are you trying to accomplish? There's probably some other way to go about this... D Kanagh wrote: > Hello > > Does anyone know where I can obtain a function to test whetber my front-end > is open via the provided icon vs. the Acce...

Access file conversion without Access
The shipping software we currently use stores our customer address in an Access database file. I need to import these records into a new shipping system that does not read Access files. Does anyone know of a stand-alone utility that can convert an Access file into, for example, a tabbed text file? I don't have Access and the shipping software offers no export options. Thanks. Phil http://www.datajunction.com "PhilBTL" <philbtl@aol.com> wrote in message news:20031105122054.21256.00000133@mb-m13.aol.com... > The shipping software we currently use stores our customer add...

Web resources about - Accessing Access database files - comp.lang.java.programmer

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...