Apache Tomcat https setup

I am using Apache Tomcat 6. I have setup an https site by installing
some certificates. When  I enter https  url a pop-up message comes
showing the certificate. Is there a way to prevent this pop-up message
because it is annoying to users. We are in an intranet and primary
purpose is to encrypt passwords, data etc sent over the network.

I have seen some other websites using https where the pop-up message
does not come. When I installed certificates in certificate store
using java command I trusted all the certificates, so do not know why
popup-up message comes.

Thanks a lot.
0
zigzagdna
10/13/2010 4:17:42 PM
comp.lang.java.programmer 52604 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Oct 13, 12:17=A0pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using Apache Tomcat 6. I have setup an https site by installing
> some certificates. When =A0I enter https =A0url a pop-up message comes
> showing the certificate. Is there a way to prevent this pop-up message
> because it is annoying to users. We are in an intranet and primary
> purpose is to encrypt passwords, data etc sent over the network.
>
> I have seen some other websites using https where the pop-up message
> does not come. When I installed certificates in certificate store
> using java command I trusted all the certificates, so do not know why
> popup-up message comes.

"A pop-up message ... showing the certificate" is a tad imprecise.  I
assume it's the message asking users to accept the certificate, which
comes up when the certificate is not signed by a trusted authority.

You say you "trusted all the certificates", another imprecise
statement.  Do you mean you went to each user's browser and instructed
it to trust the signing authority of the certificate?

If not, that could explain the issue, assuming my assumption of what
you meant is correct.

--
Lew
0
On Oct 13, 12:47=A0pm, Lew <l...@lewscanon.com> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 12:17=A0pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I am using Apache Tomcat 6. I have setup an https site by installing
> > some certificates. When =A0I enter https =A0url a pop-up message comes
> > showing the certificate. Is there a way to prevent this pop-up message
> > because it is annoying to users. We are in an intranet and primary
> > purpose is to encrypt passwords, data etc sent over the network.
>
> > I have seen some other websites using https where the pop-up message
> > does not come. When I installed certificates in certificate store
> > using java command I trusted all the certificates, so do not know why
> > popup-up message comes.
>
> "A pop-up message ... showing the certificate" is a tad imprecise. =A0I
> assume it's the message asking users to accept the certificate, which
> comes up when the certificate is not signed by a trusted authority.
>
> You say you "trusted all the certificates", another imprecise
> statement. =A0Do you mean you went to each user's browser and instructed
> it to trust the signing authority of the certificate?
>
> If not, that could explain the issue, assuming my assumption of what
> you meant is correct.
>
> --
> Lew

Lew:

Yes, pop-up message is for what you say. I did not go to each user's
browser; instead when I was running java commands  on web server to
install certficates in a kety store which is used by Tomcat; java
command asked me whether certificate is to be trusted.
How does browser decides whether
"certificate is not signed by a trusted authority". Is certifcate have
to be installed in some place on user's PC. If yes where?

THANKS A LOT.

Prem
0
zigzagdna
10/13/2010 5:49:31 PM
On 13-10-2010 13:49, zigzagdna wrote:
> Yes, pop-up message is for what you say. I did not go to each user's
> browser; instead when I was running java commands  on web server to
> install certficates in a kety store which is used by Tomcat; java
> command asked me whether certificate is to be trusted.
> How does browser decides whether
> "certificate is not signed by a trusted authority". Is certifcate have
> to be installed in some place on user's PC. If yes where?

This is a security feature.

If a site claims to be java.sun.com and the certificate is
signed by a company that the browser know, then there is no
need to ask.

If the browser does not know the signer of the certificate,
then you get prompted.

There are no way you can disable that server side. For
obvious reasons otherwise the hackers would let their
fake java.sun.com disable the check as well.

You either need to buy a certificate from one of the
known vendors or install the the signing certificate
at each client PC.

How depends on OS and browser.

Arne

0
ISO
10/13/2010 11:57:46 PM
On Oct 13, 7:57=A0pm, Arne Vajh=F8j <a...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> On 13-10-2010 13:49, zigzagdna wrote:
>
> > Yes, pop-up message is for what you say. I did not go to each user's
> > browser; instead when I was running java commands =A0on web server to
> > install certficates in a kety store which is used by Tomcat; java
> > command asked me whether certificate is to be trusted.
> > How does browser decides whether
> > "certificate is not signed by a trusted authority". Is certifcate have
> > to be installed in some place on user's PC. If yes where?
>
> This is a security feature.
>
> If a site claims to be java.sun.com and the certificate is
> signed by a company that the browser know, then there is no
> need to ask.
>
> If the browser does not know the signer of the certificate,
> then you get prompted.
>
> There are no way you can disable that server side. For
> obvious reasons otherwise the hackers would let their
> fake java.sun.com disable the check as well.
>
> You either need to buy a certificate from one of the
> known vendors or install the the signing certificate
> at each client PC.
>
> How depends on OS and browser.
>
> Arne

Arne:

Thanks a lot. As alwyas you are extremely knowledagbale and your
answers are very clear.

0
zigzagdna

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
Hi, I'm trying to use the httpclient within Jython (see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/ for more information on the httpclient). My Jython version is: Jython 2.1 on java1.4.2_04 (JIT: null) My Java version is: java version "1.4.2_04" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode) My CLASSPATH includes: jdom.jar xerces.jar jython.jar jt400.jar log4j-1.2.8.jar commons-httpclient-2.0.jar When I just try to perform the import statements from example code I get the error pasted below....

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Tomcat JDBC setup: DataSource invalid: "java.lang.NullPointerException"
Hi, I am trying to configure JDBC connecting to MS SQL 2000 in Tomcat 5.5.9. I have tried using JDBC drivers from both Microsoft and JTDS. I copied JDBC jar files to [Tomcat_home]shared\lib" in both cases. However, I am getting the following error message from both cases( I am using JSTL in my JSP page.): javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Unable to get connection, DataSource invalid: "java.lang.NullPointerException" org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport.getConnection(QueryTagSupport.java:276) org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport.doSta...

Hi, I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help me. Below is the stack trace. Stack Trace: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.SQLAllocEnv(Native Method) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<init>(DB2Driver.java:245) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<clinit>(DB2Driver.java:130) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:120) Thanks in advance, Ganesh Majji ganesh.m@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I > don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help > me. Unfortunately my crystal bowl stays dark because you didn't mentioned your operating system and which DB2 version you're using. For Windows, *nix and OS/2 please ensure that your application is using the db2java.zip from SQLLIB\java. Check if there are multiple db2jdbc.dll on your system, remove any extra db2jdbc.dll files on the system. Ensure that you can connect to DB2 with the DB2 workstation tools from your machine. sorry for not mentioning the system details. Operation System is SunOS (Solaris) and DB2 SDK 8.2.2 Thank you very much for the kind response, Ganesh Bernd Hohmann wrote: > ganesh.m@gmail...

Apache FileUpload
Hi! I am trying to use Apache FileUpload to read a file and store it in a Oracle Database. I have made a JSP page (page1) witch has a form for submitting the file to another JSP page (page2) for processing it. When submitting the form with a file, I get this error: *** 500 Internal Server Error java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/io/FileCleaner at org.apache.commons.fileupload.disk.DiskFileItem.getTempFile(DiskFileItem.java:579) at org.apache.commons.fileupload.disk.DiskFileItem.getOutputStream(DiskFileItem.java:519) at org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseReques...

java error in apache tomcat
guys, I am getting an java error when i run a java app in tomcat. here it is what I get in the browser ----------------------- type Exception report message description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request. exception javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet execution threw an exception com.unanet.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:39) com.unanet.servlet.AccessLogFilter.doFilter(AccessLogFilter.java:43) root cause java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:833) com.unanet.serv...

to use import java.lang.* or import java.lang.Math or none at all?
Hi guys, i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a matter at all? the answer to this post will definitely affect my programming style in the future when i'm considering "to import or not to import"... hmm,,, thanks in advance. JPractitioner wrote: > i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the > compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, > should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action > will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a > matter at all? Whether and how you import classes has exactly zero effect at runtime. Imports (with or without wildcards) are only a kind of abbreviation provided by the compiler to save us the effort of typing in fully-qualified type names every time. In theory explicit importing should make compilation faster -- by a very tiny amount. I've never heard anyone claim that they've even managed to measure a difference let alone found a case where it made a practical difference. So the question comes down to how to write your code for maximum clarity. One school of thought asserts that you should always import each class explicitly (rather than by a wildcard). There's a fai...

2008 computers.lang for java.programmer
jwehnf iuwhhttp://www.freewebs.com/thuiss/http://indianfriendfinder.com/go/g906725-pmem ashik wrote:Sub: 2008 computers.lang for java.programmerYou have nothing of value to anybody here. Pleasestop wasting our bandwidth.Further, please don't become the latest in a long line of perennial spamming f*ckw*t morons who infestthis usenet newsgroup.-- Andrew Thompsonhttp://www.physci.org/Message posted via JavaKB.comhttp://www.javakb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/java-general/200711/1 Andrew Thompson wrote:> ashik wrote:> > Sub: 2008 computers.lang for java.programmer> > You have nothing of...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these commands: # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object # ls /usr/jdk/instances/ jdk1.5.0 jdk1.6.0 # uname -a SunOS sun1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 Please help to fix the error. Thanks. TsanChung wrote: > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > commands: > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > Error occurred during initialization of VM > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object It's missing or can't find rt.jar, right? How does the Solaris version find it's runtime files? Can you show us where rt.jar is? On Aug 20, 6:24=A0pm, Mark Space <marksp...@sbc.global.net> wrote: > TsanChung wrote: > > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > > commands: > > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > > Error occurred during initialization of VM > > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object > > It'...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type of problem and has solved it if he/she could give me a hand or if anyone could just point out what I should be looking for in this type of problem. Thanks in advance... gek ...

CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error. My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass". Thank you, compile: run: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at javax.swing.JTable$BooleanRenderer.getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable.java:5412) at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5735) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCell(BasicTableUI.java:2114) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCells(BasicTableUI.java:2016) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paint(BasicTableUI.java:1812) at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(ComponentUI.java:161) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:778) at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1054) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5221) at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(RepaintManager.java:1482) at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1413) at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1206) at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5169) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4980) at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:770) at javax.swing.RepaintM...

Programmers, Programmers, Programmers, ...
As Steve Balmer correctly stated, while making his monkey dance, it is applications and hence programmers that make a platform. The fact though is that if you want to do professional programming, then Linux is the platform for you. I know that this statement will get the heckels up on a lot of trolls in C.O.L.A, but I have a recent experience that proves this. I am currently working for a Windows only house producing a system that receives and transmits around 1000 telegrams per second in each direction on a UDP socket, translates them into a different format and creates a log entry for each ...

Help: Tomcat crashes on java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
I am running an application (i.e. Remedy Midtier) on Tomcat. Currently I run into the "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError" when performing some activities from the browser when accessing this application. Basically, the Tomcat crashes when the java process takes about 160MB - 190MB memory usage (I did monitor the "top" for system resources) Background information: OS: Solaris 8 System physical memory: 2048MB Tomcat version: 4.1.29 JDK version: 1.4.1 /etc/system set rlim_fd_cur = 65536 set rlim_fd_max = 65536 This is what I have tried so far: 1) Double the heap size in catali...

Tomcat cache errors !!! and java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError

Apache Tomcat https link goes down but http works
I have setup a web suite in Apache Tomcat 5.5. Web site has lots of java software. I have both https and http. This is production system. We have given users to user https. https works for a few days but then when web site gives some "page not found access". However then I invoke http link; web site is up' why? Why http link brings up the application but https does not. Then when I restart Apache Tomcat https works again; same is true with http. Is this somekind of memory issue; i.e.; https sofwtare implenetaion has memory leaks etc? But then again if there are m...

Load Balancing an https Java Web Application in Tomcat
Greetings! We have implemented an HTTPS application on Tomcat, and we run multiple Application Servers for load-balancing. Without getting into all the details of what and WHY....we have a hardware SSL decoder in front of our load balancer. So, the user browser submits an https request, and the SSL decoder turns it into an http request, and Tomcat processes the http request. The only problem is, every time Tomcat generates a page redirect, it sends a fully qualified URL back to the browser, and it prepends "http" onto the URL. (Tomcat thinks we are running an http side, but we a...

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org/apache/crimson/parser/XMLReaderImpl
Hi, I've recently moved a web application running under Tomcat4.0.6, and java 4.0.2 to JBoss4.0.3 and java 5.0. The application works fine under Tomcat with java 4.0.2. However, I'm getting the exception "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org/apache/crimson/parser/XMLReaderImpl" being thrown from JBoss with java 5.0. The line of code in my application causing all the trouble is: XMLReader parser = XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader("org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl"); Now, this works fine in Tomcat with java 4.0.2, as java 4.0.2 includes the class org.apache....

Apache Tomcat / Java Server Faces Projekt URL anpassen
Hallo, hat jemand einen Tipp wie ich den Pfad zu meinem JSF Projekt http://localhost:8080/myproj/faces/login.jspx umbenennen kann bzw. ich m=F6chte einfach das faces daraus entfernen - offenbar scheint es der Pfad zu den JSF Seiten zu sein, aber wo kann ich das einstellen? in web.xml und applicationcontext.xml jedenfalls nicht. Hat jemand vielleicht einen kleinen Tipp?? Danke euch! Gru=DF Frederik ...

Apache Axis "java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException"
Hi I ran into some issues with my webservice deployed as an axis web service. On pointing my browser to http://localhost:8085/axis/services/SASPort?WSDL I can view the wsdl generated for my web service. I assumed that was an indication for a web service that has been deployed successfully. I tested it by running a service client but I received a terse error saying java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException On checking my SOAPMonitor I could see the SOAP request but no response. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeevak ...

Inserting a Header and Footer in Static Pages with Apache/Tomcat/Java
With AOLserver, you can write procs that modify static HTML files as they are served, and you don't need to use SSIs or include anything inside the HTML file besides generic HTML. For example, I have an AOLserver/OpenACS site with 100K+ static HTML pages, and before a static page is served, an AOLserver proc regexps the file and inserts the site's header and footer HTML code. How would you do this with Apache 2.0/Tomcat/Java? I assume that it would be ideal for Apache to do this since it is faster at serving static pages. Thanks. On 28 Dec 2003 22:04:08 -0800, James Th...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/help/HelpSetException with HTTPS/SSL
I am getting the following error with a Java Applet being served out by IIS over HTTPS/SSL using a Verisign certificate: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/help/HelpSetException at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1590) at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:1762) at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:276) at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:259) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:567) ...

Install SSL (https) certificates in Java/Tomcat (Answering my own problem)
Hi, I just wasted a couple of hours searching for SSL-Certificate-Tomcat-importing-info. Didn't find any so I'm posting it for other people to find. After 2004.01.08 our Tomcat java servlets could not call https pages. I got the error message "CA certificate does not include basic constraints extension " when I tried code like this URL webadress = new URL("https://domain.com/externalservlet"); URLConnection connect_webadresse = webadresse.openConnection(); connect_webadresse.setDoOutput(true); The reason for this was a missing Verisign certificate. This is on a Windows 2000 machine with Tomcat 4.0.6 and j2sdk1.4.1_01 To install the missing certificate I opened an internet browser and called "https://domain.com". I then clicked on the SSL-symbol and exported the key into the file "c:\cacerts.ce" Then I went into "c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin" and typed this: keytool -import -v -alias meincert -trustcacerts -file c:\ ...

Web resources about - Apache Tomcat https setup - comp.lang.java.programmer

Apache Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Apache-US Wars. For other Mexican-Apache wars, see Apache-Mexico Wars . For other wars involving the Apache, see Apache ...

Default settings in Apache may decloak Tor hidden services
World's most widely used Web server often displays geographic locations of Tor sites.

Anadarko Has Approached Apache About Takeover Offer
Anadarko Petroleum Corp. approached Apache Corp. about a combination that would be the largest for an independent U.S. oil and gas producer this ...

Anadarko, Apache fall amid takeover report
Shares of Anadarko Petroleum fell on Tuesday after a report surfaced that the company had approached Apache about a possible takeover deal.

5 things to know about Hadoop v. Apache Spark
Listen in on any conversation about big data, and you'll probably hear mention of Hadoop or Apache Spark. Here's a brief look at what they do ...

WATCH: Apache Gunner Wipes Out Six Terrorists With A Single, Precision Strike
WATCH: Apache Gunner Wipes Out Six Terrorists With A Single, Precision Strike

IBM's SystemML Moves Forward as Apache Incubator Project
SystemML, a machine learning algorithm translator from IBM Research, has been accepted as an Apache incubator project.

At $30 Oil, Apache Corporation is Throwing in the Towel
The oil and gas company joins a growing list of large oil companies that won’t be growing their production in 2016. Image Source: Apache Corporation. ...

Performance Tuning Apache Storm at Keen IO
... of posts. Today, I'll describe how we're working to guarantee consistent performance in a multi-tenant environment built on top of Apache Storm. ...

Did Remix OS violate the GPL and Apache licenses?
In today's open source roundup: Controversy rages around possible license violations by the developers of Remix OS. Plus: 4 questions to ask ...