Apache Tomcat https setup

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am using Apache Tomcat 6. I have setup an https site by installing
some certificates. When  I enter https  url a pop-up message comes
showing the certificate. Is there a way to prevent this pop-up message
because it is annoying to users. We are in an intranet and primary
purpose is to encrypt passwords, data etc sent over the network.

I have seen some other websites using https where the pop-up message
does not come. When I installed certificates in certificate store
using java command I trusted all the certificates, so do not know why
popup-up message comes.

Thanks a lot.
0
Reply zigzagdna 10/13/2010 4:17:42 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Oct 13, 12:17=A0pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using Apache Tomcat 6. I have setup an https site by installing
> some certificates. When =A0I enter https =A0url a pop-up message comes
> showing the certificate. Is there a way to prevent this pop-up message
> because it is annoying to users. We are in an intranet and primary
> purpose is to encrypt passwords, data etc sent over the network.
>
> I have seen some other websites using https where the pop-up message
> does not come. When I installed certificates in certificate store
> using java command I trusted all the certificates, so do not know why
> popup-up message comes.

"A pop-up message ... showing the certificate" is a tad imprecise.  I
assume it's the message asking users to accept the certificate, which
comes up when the certificate is not signed by a trusted authority.

You say you "trusted all the certificates", another imprecise
statement.  Do you mean you went to each user's browser and instructed
it to trust the signing authority of the certificate?

If not, that could explain the issue, assuming my assumption of what
you meant is correct.

--
Lew
0

On Oct 13, 12:47=A0pm, Lew <l...@lewscanon.com> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 12:17=A0pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I am using Apache Tomcat 6. I have setup an https site by installing
> > some certificates. When =A0I enter https =A0url a pop-up message comes
> > showing the certificate. Is there a way to prevent this pop-up message
> > because it is annoying to users. We are in an intranet and primary
> > purpose is to encrypt passwords, data etc sent over the network.
>
> > I have seen some other websites using https where the pop-up message
> > does not come. When I installed certificates in certificate store
> > using java command I trusted all the certificates, so do not know why
> > popup-up message comes.
>
> "A pop-up message ... showing the certificate" is a tad imprecise. =A0I
> assume it's the message asking users to accept the certificate, which
> comes up when the certificate is not signed by a trusted authority.
>
> You say you "trusted all the certificates", another imprecise
> statement. =A0Do you mean you went to each user's browser and instructed
> it to trust the signing authority of the certificate?
>
> If not, that could explain the issue, assuming my assumption of what
> you meant is correct.
>
> --
> Lew

Lew:

Yes, pop-up message is for what you say. I did not go to each user's
browser; instead when I was running java commands  on web server to
install certficates in a kety store which is used by Tomcat; java
command asked me whether certificate is to be trusted.
How does browser decides whether
"certificate is not signed by a trusted authority". Is certifcate have
to be installed in some place on user's PC. If yes where?

THANKS A LOT.

Prem
0
Reply zigzagdna 10/13/2010 5:49:31 PM

On 13-10-2010 13:49, zigzagdna wrote:
> Yes, pop-up message is for what you say. I did not go to each user's
> browser; instead when I was running java commands  on web server to
> install certficates in a kety store which is used by Tomcat; java
> command asked me whether certificate is to be trusted.
> How does browser decides whether
> "certificate is not signed by a trusted authority". Is certifcate have
> to be installed in some place on user's PC. If yes where?

This is a security feature.

If a site claims to be java.sun.com and the certificate is
signed by a company that the browser know, then there is no
need to ask.

If the browser does not know the signer of the certificate,
then you get prompted.

There are no way you can disable that server side. For
obvious reasons otherwise the hackers would let their
fake java.sun.com disable the check as well.

You either need to buy a certificate from one of the
known vendors or install the the signing certificate
at each client PC.

How depends on OS and browser.

Arne

0
Reply ISO 10/13/2010 11:57:46 PM

On Oct 13, 7:57=A0pm, Arne Vajh=F8j <a...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> On 13-10-2010 13:49, zigzagdna wrote:
>
> > Yes, pop-up message is for what you say. I did not go to each user's
> > browser; instead when I was running java commands =A0on web server to
> > install certficates in a kety store which is used by Tomcat; java
> > command asked me whether certificate is to be trusted.
> > How does browser decides whether
> > "certificate is not signed by a trusted authority". Is certifcate have
> > to be installed in some place on user's PC. If yes where?
>
> This is a security feature.
>
> If a site claims to be java.sun.com and the certificate is
> signed by a company that the browser know, then there is no
> need to ask.
>
> If the browser does not know the signer of the certificate,
> then you get prompted.
>
> There are no way you can disable that server side. For
> obvious reasons otherwise the hackers would let their
> fake java.sun.com disable the check as well.
>
> You either need to buy a certificate from one of the
> known vendors or install the the signing certificate
> at each client PC.
>
> How depends on OS and browser.
>
> Arne

Arne:

Thanks a lot. As alwyas you are extremely knowledagbale and your
answers are very clear.

0
Reply zigzagdna 10/14/2010 1:53:58 AM
comp.lang.java.programmer 51970 articles. 38 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Apache Tomcat https link goes down but http works
I have setup a web suite in Apache Tomcat 5.5. Web site has lots of java software. I have both https and http. This is production system. We have given users to user https. https works for a few days but then when web site gives some "page not found access". However then I invoke http link; web site is up' why? Why http link brings up the application but https does not. Then when I restart Apache Tomcat https works again; same is true with http. Is this somekind of memory issue; i.e.; https sofwtare implenetaion has memory leaks etc? But then again if there are m...

Difference between Apache Tomcat and Jakrata Tomcat
Hi, Please tell me the difference between http://jakarta.apache.org/ and http://tomcat.apache.org/ Both are called tomcat and they both are used to run JSP and servlets. Do let me know 1) what I have to get installed to run JSP and servlets on windows 2) explain why there are two variations. 3) which one is more popular / secure / efficient Thanks "twins" <rohanroshan@gmail.com> wrote in news:1132940569.489319.265540 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > Hi, > > Please tell me the difference between http://jakarta.apache.org/ and > http://tomcat.apache.org/ > B...

Virtual hosting with apache-httpd and apache-tomcat
Hi, I was just reading the VirtualHost documentation on the net, so a question popped up in my mind. I apologise if im posting on the wrong but I needed to clarify my doubts because I would be going in for an interview. So, straight to the question: In my scenario: I have a physical machine with apache webserver, IP: 192.168.10.1 if i want to set up virtual hosts on the apache webserver machine, I would create different sites with unique domain names but the same apache webserver IP. using the VirtualHost directive. Now, if I have apache-tomcat servlet container, which I install on a differ...

tomcat: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows..........
hi, I'm trying to run Tomcat 5.5.23... but now get this error when turn on tomcat: INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_18\bin;.;C:\WINNT \system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C: \BATCH;C:\Program Files\Java\ I have sdk/jre 1.5.0_08 installed and have set the Path, JAVA_HOME, and CATALINA_HOME env variables properly.. I have installed and run tomcat many times before, on many different machines, I don't understand what...

Standalone Tomcat vs. Tomcat w/ Apache
Can someone please outline for me the tradeoffs involved between deploying standalone Tomcat vs. Tomcat using apache as the http server. I am aware that apache is better for large amount of static pages and ssl connections. What are the security implications? What are the performance implications? Can anyone point me to any good resources. Thanks ..... On 26 Dec 2003 08:22:06 -0800, aryehgolob@hotmail.com (Aryeh Golob) wrote: >Can someone please outline for me the tradeoffs involved between >deploying standalone Tomcat vs. Tomcat using apache as the http >server...

apache tomcat?
Hi, As a tomcat newbie, I am confused if apache tomcat is a web server itself. Some information I read on the web talks about how to configure tomcat and then apache to make them work together. Some web sites talk about why you can choose to connect tomcat to apache or not connect it to apache depending on what you need. My question is: is tomcat a web server itself without the help of apache? Thanks you in advance, Eddy Hi, tomcat is a standalone web server that can serve static content (html files and images) and dynamic content (Servlet and JSPs). To your other question about your f...

Apache Setup
How do I set up multiple WebHotels on my apache server. I'm running Apache 2.0 on Windows XP Professional.. KM KM wrote: > How do I set up multiple WebHotels on my apache server. > > I'm running Apache 2.0 on Windows XP Professional.. I'm not quite sure what you mean by WebHotel, but you likely want to look at the VirtualHost and NamedVirtualHost directives. You'll need a unique IP or DNS name for each "WebHotel". JP ...

apache tomcat
kindly anyone please tell me how to configure apache tomcat and use it for J2EE projects , on a windows machine , i am disparately waiting for the answer by experienced people , this will help a novice developer a lot , if possible also tell me how to use java beans with jsp focode wrote: > kindly anyone please tell me how to configure apache tomcat and use it > for J2EE projects , on a windows machine , i [sic] am disparately waiting > for the answer by experienced people , this will help a novice > developer a lot , if possible also tell me how to use java [sic] beans with >...

Apache and Tomcat
Hello All, This may sound like a silly question, but I need to ask it. I have installed Apache 2.1, MySQL and PHP on a Windows XP PRO box (temporarily on a dev box) and everything is working great. I now want to run Java for servlets and jsp. I installed the Apache Tomcat and set it up with the defaults (Port 8080) to run as a service. It seems that when I run http://localhost/test.php I am able to display with no problem. I can also run http://localhost/index.html. When I try and run java stuff I need to type http://localhost:8080/ to get to the tomcat root. I understand that this is part o...

Apache + Tomcat
I am looking for connectors enabling communication between Apache/2 v.2.0.xx and Tomcat 4.1 compiled for OS/2. I have not found compiled modules (mod_jk or mod_jk2) for OS/2. Should I compile these modules from sources or can I download them from somewhere? Jan N. Waliszewski ...

Apache Setup
How do I set up multiple WebHotels on my apache server. I'm running Apache 2.0 on Windows XP Professional.. KM KM wrote: > How do I set up multiple WebHotels on my apache server. > > I'm running Apache 2.0 on Windows XP Professional.. I'm not quite sure what you mean by WebHotel, but you likely want to look at the VirtualHost and NamedVirtualHost directives. You'll need a unique IP or DNS name for each "WebHotel". JP ...

Tomcat and Apache
Hi there! GREAT Problems with Apache and Tomcat. After I finally installed the mod_jk with Apache 2.0.x and Tomcat 1.4.x I have heavy problems when processing my jsps: It all works well as long as I call my server by typing "localhost". The static sites are processed by Apache and the jsps are passed to Tomcat. But when I call the server via its IP-Adress the problems start: I still can call Apache on Port 80 and I still can call Tomcat on Port 8080 but when I try to process the jsps by calling my server on its real ip-Adress I receive a "File not found" error....

apache tomcat
When i start tomcat the index page is not getting loaded on typing localhost:8080 and when in the url i give my machine no at port 8080 the default page of the tomcat is getting loaded..whats the reason for it.how do put it right. abhi_rec@yahoo.com (abhijith merve) wrote in message news:<43e7d286.0312222142.79f3fdfb@posting.google.com>... > When i start tomcat the index page is not getting loaded on typing > localhost:8080 and when in the url i give my machine no at port 8080 > the default page of the tomcat is getting loaded..whats the reason for > it.how do put ...

Apache Tomcat 4.1.24: problem with Tomcat Administration link
Hello to everyone, I installed Apache Tomcat 4.1.24 (jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24.exe) in Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4). At the start of the installation, the installer found correctly the directory of the j2sdk (C:\j2sdk1.4.2_03). During the installation I chose the Normal Installation Option and at the end I left the HHTP Connector Port to 8080 as it was by default. After the successful installation I started the server and tried to test it. I opened a browser and I gave the address http://localhost:8080/. The start page of the server showed up successfully! I clicked on the Tomcat Ad...

Tomcat 6 / Apache 2.2 integration problem (no images / tomcat deploys to temp dir)
Hi, I have integrated my tomcat 6 instance with apache 2.2. I have used the auto configuration of tomcat and it seems to work. When I access my deployt web application no image will be displayed. Does anybody knows why? Another problem is, that when I deploy my webapp (myWebapp) tomcat extracts the war in the webapps folder and an instance in the temp folder (temp/0-myWebapp). When I now look in my auto generated mod_jk.conf there is a new entry for the web applcation. The problem is that the <Directory> tag points to the temp dir. Is it possible to change the auto generation behaviour...

Apache 2.2: Reject https for http-only sites on server w/ 1 https site?
Hi, I have a handful of sites (name virtual hosts) being served on the same physical server (and IP address), using Apache 2.2.15. One of the sites also has an https version (in fact, the http version of that site redirects straight to the https version), but the other sites are http-only. Unfortunately, if somebody inadvertently attempts to access any of the other http-only sites using https, then the server will attempt to serve the corresponding URI on the (sole) https site instead (and causing web browsers to disable a security certificate warning page, for obvious reasons...

tomcat-maven-plugin problem
Hi, I'm trying to use tomcat-maven-plugin from http://mojo.codehaus.org/tomcat-maven-plugin/ But when I type mvn tomcat:deploy, i get [INFO] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- [INFO] Building Design Council [INFO] task-segment: [tomcat:deploy] [INFO] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- [INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'tomcat'. [ERROR] project-execute : myapp:myapp:war:0.1.0-SNAPSHOT ( task-segment: [tomcat:deploy] ) Diagnosis: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-t...

Intermittent Error 500 - Internal Server Error
Hi, We recently had a server crash and we have rebuilt it from scratch. We have installed Linux 2.4.21-4.ELsmp and have setup Apache 2.0.54. We currently run 5 separate instances on Tomcat, 1 instance is run on Tomcat 5.0.27 and the rest are run on Tomcat 4.1.24. The problem we are having is that intermitently (quite regularly) you get an error page - Error 500 - Internal Server Error - displaying the standard windows - Page Could Not be displayed error page. We have Error 500 pages setup for both Tomcat & Apache but it is not either of these pages we see, it is th...

OT on Tomcat and Apache
Not totally OT, but close. Building a new CGI with Perl and mod_perl, I was given a Windows server that runs (and is running) Tomcat. Rather than configuring Tomcat to run CGI, I installed Apache 2.2.11, but when I started Apache I got the following error message: <error> (OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit. </error> Can I run...

apache tomcat and .NET
Could somebody tell me if Apache tomcat supports .NET. If so, Some sources to the info would be great. Mukhiya mukhesh@gmail.com wrote: > Could somebody tell me if Apache tomcat supports .NET. If so, Some > sources to the info would be great. > > Mukhiya > Yes, I can tell you. No, it doesn't. Apache: <URL:http://www.apache.org/> Tomcat: <URL:http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/> "Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the official Reference Implementation for the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages technologies." If y...

basic apache setup
Ok, I have gotten bits and pieces of info reading some posts and have learned a lot but still need some help. I have installed apache 2 and have configured it to: Listen 8004 since my ISP blocks 80 and 8080 my documentroot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/apache2/htdocs" and directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/apache2/htdocs" my server name I have set to my ip address and port even though I have a domain name since i eventually hope to use my virtual host config once I get this going my router and firewall are allowing the port and i can access local host why cant i...

Tomcat down message from Apache
I connect to tomcat from apache, which serves all web pages and both are on 2 different boxes. Would like to know, How should I show a text page if whole of my site is down on tomcat ?? Any suggestions... ...

eComStation+Apache+tomcat
It may over topic. I want use eComStation to create a Web Server, I want it support php+jsp, I successful install apache+php+jdk 1.4.2.+mySQL. I have unzip tomcat 5.x in eComStation. But I don't know how to config and startup it in eComStation. Would you help me? I want d:\webroot\index.htm--->http://ip or domain/index.htm d:\webroot\index.html--->http://ip or domain/index.html d:\webroot\index.php--->http://ip or domain/index.php d:\webroot\index.jsp--->http://ip or domain/index.jsp I don't want d:\tomcat\jsproot\index.jsp--->http://ip or domain/jsproot/index.jsp How...

Plone Setup on Https
Hi Gays, I have setup plone , its workingon port 8080 , now i need to plone work on secure layer, ie on https, my apache is configure ssl and localhost is also working on https , but plone is not working.... Any ideas how to setup on https plone............ Madhu ...