Certified Java Programmer (Sun Java 2)

I'm very interested in Java, and I would very much like to work with
Java as a professional programmer. I have a degree as an electronics
engineer (from 1996), but unfortunately, I can't get a job as a
programmer with this diploma, because it is to old, and courses in
modern OOP are missing.

What should I do to get a Certificate as a Java (2) programmer? -I've
heard that Sun Microsystems have examination as "Sun Certified Java 2
Programmer" and "Sun Certified Java 2 Developer".

I think, that I could study Java 2 at home with my own computer (With
Suns Java 2 SDK), and then go to the examinations later. How is it
working with these examinations? -Where is it possible to take these
examinations, and how much does it cost?

I would be vary happy, if someone could tell me something about this.

Rgds,
Peter C

see http://www.javaprepare.com/

--
Andrei Kouznetsov
http://uio.dev.java.net Unified I/O for Java

spam381 (211)
7/31/2004 12:07:33 PM
"PC" <peterchristensen@lycos.com> wrote in message
> I'm very interested in Java, and I would very much like to work with
> Java as a professional programmer. I have a degree as an electronics
> engineer (from 1996), but unfortunately, I can't get a job as a
> programmer with this diploma, because it is to old, and courses in
> modern OOP are missing.
>
> What should I do to get a Certificate as a Java (2) programmer? -I've
> heard that Sun Microsystems have examination as "Sun Certified Java 2
> Programmer" and "Sun Certified Java 2 Developer".
>
> I think, that I could study Java 2 at home with my own computer (With
> Suns Java 2 SDK), and then go to the examinations later. How is it
> working with these examinations? -Where is it possible to take these
> examinations, and how much does it cost?
>
> I would be vary happy, if someone could tell me something about this.
>
> Rgds,
> Peter C

Where are you locarted? That would play a factor.

aAa

Have a look at these and see if they are of any help -

http://www.geocities.com/technofundo/tech/scjp/scjp1_4.html
http://www.geocities.com/technofundo/tech/scjp/scjp.html
http://www.geocities.com/technofundo/tech/scjp/scjpnotes.html

and don't forget -
http://www.javaranch.com/

HTH,
- Manish

"PC" <peterchristensen@lycos.com> wrote in message
> I'm very interested in Java, and I would very much like to work with
> Java as a professional programmer. I have a degree as an electronics
> engineer (from 1996), but unfortunately, I can't get a job as a
> programmer with this diploma, because it is to old, and courses in
> modern OOP are missing.
>
> What should I do to get a Certificate as a Java (2) programmer? -I've
> heard that Sun Microsystems have examination as "Sun Certified Java 2
> Programmer" and "Sun Certified Java 2 Developer".
>
> I think, that I could study Java 2 at home with my own computer (With
> Suns Java 2 SDK), and then go to the examinations later. How is it
> working with these examinations? -Where is it possible to take these
> examinations, and how much does it cost?
>
> I would be vary happy, if someone could tell me something about this.
>
> Rgds,
> Peter C

"PC" <peterchristensen@lycos.com> wrote in message

> I think, that I could study Java 2 at home with my own computer (With
> Suns Java 2 SDK), and then go to the examinations later.

Yep, that's fine, worked for me.  I did that for 2.5 years then did SCJP.
That is far too long though you could do it in 6 months.

> How is it
> working with these examinations? -Where is it possible to take these
> examinations, and how much does it cost?

follow links from java.sun.com

SCJP is ~120 GBP inc taxes - 1 multi choice exam, pass is 52%
SCJD is ~300 GBP inc taxes - 2 steps, assignment & exam, pass is 80%

exams are at local centers, see above url, mine was just 4 miles away.

SCJD in progress for myself.

--
Mike W

0
spam19 (1056)
7/31/2004 5:54:44 PM
VisionSet wrote:
<snip>
> SCJP is ~120 GBP inc taxes - 1 multi choice exam, pass is 52%

Are you sure about that? When I took it, I thought that you needed
80%; I just missed at 78% if memory serves me correctly. If it's
now only 52% then almost anyone could make it...

0
bitbucket44 (1435)
7/31/2004 6:17:59 PM
But now java 1.5 already released, and its called Java 5. That means
Java 2 exam is outdated. Just wonder if this is released from Sun yet.
0
jrefactors (362)
7/31/2004 6:51:31 PM
"Sudsy" <bitbucket44@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> VisionSet wrote:
> <snip>
> > SCJP is ~120 GBP inc taxes - 1 multi choice exam, pass is 52%
>
> Are you sure about that? When I took it, I thought that you needed
> 80%; I just missed at 78% if memory serves me correctly. If it's
> now only 52% then almost anyone could make it...

fairly sure, but I got 88% :-)

I know the pass mark changed (got lower) when they went from 1.2 to 1.4

However, pass mark is only half the story, perhaps the questions are harder.
In fact I know they are.

--
Mike W

0
spam19 (1056)
7/31/2004 10:08:29 PM
did the certificate look cool?  did it get you a job?

Thufir Hawat

0
thufir.hawat (363)
8/1/2004 4:42:35 AM
<thufir.hawat@mail.com> wrote in message

> did the certificate look cool?

Errrrr, it has got yellow & purple bits and a big shiny silver embossed
star.
It is a bit creased, because I've got a naff letter box, which is a bit like
the infamous cash-till on 'Open All Hours' starring Ronnay Barkay.
Does that help?

> did it get you a job?

No, but then my degree is not in IT, so I'm doing another in tandem with the
certs.

One day before I retire, I'll do the job I want to do.

--
Mike W

0
spam19 (1056)
8/1/2004 10:23:46 AM
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, VisionSet wrote:

> <thufir.hawat@mail.com> wrote in message
>
> > did the certificate look cool?
>
> Errrrr, it has got yellow & purple bits and a big shiny silver embossed
> star.
> It is a bit creased, because I've got a naff letter box, which is a bit like
> the infamous cash-till on 'Open All Hours' starring Ronnay Barkay.
> Does that help?

"till," very un-american of you. ya'll must be eeenglish or other
foreign-type ;)

> > did it get you a job?
>
> No, but then my degree is not in IT, so I'm doing another in tandem with the
> certs.
>
> One day before I retire, I'll do the job I want to do.
>
> --
> Mike W

Hmm.  It's nice to poke along at my own speed, but trying to guage the
financial investment in a certificate like this.

Thufir Hawat, mentat, house atreides

0
thufir.hawat (363)
8/2/2004 5:29:02 AM
In article <8f944897.0407310402.503512c6@posting.google.com>,
 peterchristensen@lycos.com (PC) wrote:

> I'm very interested in Java, and I would very much like to work with
> Java as a professional programmer. I have a degree as an electronics
> engineer (from 1996), but unfortunately, I can't get a job as a
> programmer with this diploma, because it is to old, and courses in
> modern OOP are missing.

I must admit, I have never had trouble getting a job with my diploma in
computational physics from 1989, so I suspect the problem is not the age
of the diploma, but how it is presented.  Consider how your resume/cv
look to a potential programming employer, and perhaps recast some of
your experience.  Never lie on a resume, but do focus it towards what
the potential employer cares about.

At the end of the day, all potential employers have just one question:
can this potential employee solve my problems for less money than it
would cost for me to do it myself?  If your resume tells them how you
can solve their problems and how you can save them money, then they are
more likely to hire you.

Certifications may help that, but so might other coursework.  Studying
for the programmer exam might take about six months, and in the same
time, you could probably plow through a JC course in programming, or
perhaps SQL or web design or something else that will help you stand
out.  You can then provide real code to the potential employer at the
interview, which always helps.

 > What should I do to get a Certificate as a Java (2) programmer? -I've
> heard that Sun Microsystems have examination as "Sun Certified Java 2
> Programmer" and "Sun Certified Java 2 Developer".

Others have given good links.  If you do go the cert route, be very
clear in your own head how it helps you and how it helps them.  If you
expect it to get you a job, you are going to be disappointed, but if you
use it to showcase your other skills and talents, with the cert as icing
on the cake, then it can be very handy.

Scott
0
scott4 (469)