CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean

Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error.

My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass".

Thank you,

compile:
run:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
	at javax.swing.JTable$BooleanRenderer.getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable.java:5412)
	at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5735)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCell(BasicTableUI.java:2114)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCells(BasicTableUI.java:2016)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paint(BasicTableUI.java:1812)
	at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(ComponentUI.java:161)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:778)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1054)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5221)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(RepaintManager.java:1482)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1413)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1206)
	at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5169)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4980)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:770)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:728)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:677)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.access$700(RepaintManager.java:59)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(RepaintManager.java:1621)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:251)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:701)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:102)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:662)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:660)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:244)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:147)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:139)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:97)

--------
The below project runs perfectly. Without seeing my large project, how can I modify the below project to get my other large project to work.

package sorttable;

import javax.swing.*;
   import javax.swing.table.*;
   import java.awt.*;
import java.util.ArrayList;

   public class SortTable {
       Runnable runner = new Runnable() {
        public void run() {
           JFrame frame = new JFrame("Sorting JTable");
           Object rows[][] = {
               {"VOD",  "Vodafone Group", 26.02, new Boolean(false), new Boolean(false)},
               {"SUNW", "Sun Microsystems", 3.86, new Boolean(true), new Boolean(false)},
               {"EBAY", "eBay", 41.57, new Boolean(false), new Boolean(false)},
               {"GOOG", "Google", 388.33, new Boolean(false), new Boolean(false)},
               {"MSFT", "Microsoft", 26.56, new Boolean(true), new Boolean(false)},
               {"NOK", "Nokia Corp", 17.13, new Boolean(false), new Boolean(false)},
               {"ORCL", "Oracle Corp.", 12.52, new Boolean(true), new Boolean(false)},
               {"TWX",  "Time Warner", 17.66, new Boolean(false), new Boolean(false)},
               {"AMZN", "Amazon", 41.28, new Boolean(false), new Boolean(false)},
               {"YHOO", "Yahoo!", 37.69, new Boolean(false), new Boolean(false)}
             };
           String columns[] = {"Symbol", "Name", "Price", "OK", "Cheap"};
           TableModel model =
               new DefaultTableModel(rows, columns) {
             public Class getColumnClass(int column) {
               Class returnValue;
               if ((column >= 0) && (column < getColumnCount())) {
                 returnValue = getValueAt(0, column).getClass();
               } else {
                 returnValue = Object.class;
               }
               return returnValue;
             }
           };

           JTable table = new JTable(model);
           RowSorter<TableModel> sorter =
             new TableRowSorter<TableModel>(model);

           java.util.List sortKeys = new ArrayList();
           sortKeys.add(new RowSorter.SortKey(3, SortOrder.ASCENDING));
           sorter.setSortKeys(sortKeys);

           table.setRowSorter(sorter);
           JScrollPane pane = new JScrollPane(table);
           frame.add(pane, BorderLayout.CENTER);
           frame.setSize(300, 150);
           frame.setVisible(true);
         }
       };
       EventQueue.invokeLater(runner);
     }
   }

0
clusardi2k (507)

FYI: The following doesn't prevent the error message:

             public Class getColumnClass(int column) {
               Class returnValue;
               if (column > 2)
                 return Boolean.class;
               else if ((column >= 0) && (column < getColumnCount())) {
                 returnValue = getValueAt(0, column).getClass();
               } else {
                 returnValue = Object.class;
               }
               return returnValue;
             }
0
clusardi2k (507)
9/21/2012 3:01:16 PM
Within DefaultTableModel, I think I have to somehow redefine the below method. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks,

                   public Object getValueAt(int row,int column)
                    {
                        switch(column)
                        {
                            case ...: return (a String);
                        }
                    }
0
clusardi2k (507)
9/21/2012 3:32:57 PM
On 9/21/2012 10:57 AM, clusardi2k@aol.com wrote:
> [... an exception is thrown ...]]
> The below project runs perfectly. Without seeing my large project, how can I modify the below project to get my other large project to work.

     Are you serious?

     Q: My program X fails.  Here's a program Y that works.  I won't
        show you X, but please tell me how to make X work like Y.

     A: Copy Y to X.

--
Eric Sosman
esosman@ieee-dot-org.invalid
On 9/21/12 7:57 AM, clusardi2k@aol.com wrote:
> Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error.
>
> My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass".
>
> Thank you,
>
> compile:
> run:
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
You are returning "Boolean.class" somewhere, but the actual content of
the cell is a String.  That is *exactly* what the exception says. Your
other program isn't updating the column with anything but a Boolean.

Make sure nothing in your code puts a String where it doesn't belong.
Unit tests can be a helpful tool in that regard.

On Friday, September 21, 2012 7:57:55 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
> Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error.
> [snip] --------
>
> The below project runs perfectly. Without seeing my large project, how can I modify the below project to get my other large project to work.

I'm pretty sure you need to see your large project in order to get it to work.

[snip]
>              public Class getColumnClass(int column) {
>                Class returnValue;
>            java.util.List sortKeys = new ArrayList();

Don't use raw types.

--
Lew
0
On Friday, September 21, 2012 1:31:41 PM UTC-4, Daniel Pitts wrote:
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException:
> java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean You are
> returning "Boolean.class" somewhere, but the actual content of the cell is a
> String.

If I use the below code I don't get the error, but I get "false" strings in the column.
             public Class getColumnClass(int column) {
               Class returnValue;
               if (column == 1) returnValue = String.class;
               else if ((column >= 1) && (column < getColumnCount())) {
                 returnValue = getValueAt(0, column).getClass();
               } else {
                 returnValue = Object.class;
               }
               return returnValue;
             }
0
clusardi2k (507)
9/21/2012 6:43:04 PM
(unknown) wrote:
> If I use the below code I don't get the error, but I get "false" strings in the column.
>
>              public Class getColumnClass(int column) {
>
>                Class returnValue;

Don't use raw types.

--
Lew
0

What can I say. I am lost! Basically, one possibility is that my large proj=
ect was working one second and it wasn't the next second. What could have g=
one wrong.

I'm going to walk down and try the following reasoning path.

Since I have been working on my toy project for months, I have a series of =
old/saved backup copies of my earlier projects.

Basically, it appears that 20 of my last projects are no longer working. Th=
ey probably were working, and now they are giving the same error mentioned =
in my first posting above. I would not have saved non-working projects. Why=
 would I save non-working projects. So, 20 of my backup copies are not work=
ing, but they were.

But, saved backup project 21 ago is still working! This is both my blessing=
 and my monster.

Anyway, all of my web services are still working. Project 20 ago uses fewer=
 web services than project 21 ago. I.E.: My problem is not with my web serv=
ices. They all work.

Here is what I have done. After making the java code in the non-working pro=
ject 20 ago look exactly like the java code in the working project 21 ago, =
I looked at a windiff of the two projects. Windiff allows me to compare all=
 the files in the two projects. I use windiff a lot.

(This new project is used in option (2) below.)

The 2 projects only differ in the non-java code now, but the non-working pr=
oject 20 ago is still not working! =20
But, when I compare the resulting new modified old 20 project ago with the =
already working 21 project ago some of the "non-java code" still differs. A=
gain, this new modified project is not working. It gives the same error mes=
sage that I have been seeing when this problem first reared its head. I.E.:=
 A checkbox in a JTable gives an error message.

At this juncture, I have three options to try. It appears to be the wisest =
things to try. I have partly started option (1). Options (1) and (3) are ve=
ry similar.

(1) Throwing away the NetBeans form files produced by the NetBeans Design v=
iew, quickly copy and paste all the 'java code' from my most recent project=
 that appears to have just stop working to the working old backup project 2=
1 ago.

(2) Over write the 2 non-java files (dot xml files) in the new modified pro=
ject with the non-java files in the old working 21 project ago.

(3) Carefully preserving the NetBeans form files produced by the NetBeans D=
esign view, copy and paste all the 'java code' from my most recent project =
that appears to have just stop working to the working old backup project 21=
 ago.

That's what I'm going to try today. Again, I am lost! I feel I'm hitting a =
dead-end. Yesterday, I followed the recommended Internet solution for my ch=
eckbox in a JTable error message, and it did not work, see my earlier posts=
 in this thread. Today, I'm going to try the above 3 options. It's the wise=
st thing I can try unless you have better ideas.

What do you think. Is NetBeans flaky. Could there be problems in the java/N=
etBeans libraries. Did I find a bug. Did I do something that I shouldn't ha=
ve.

I'm still looking for a really good idea that will help me.

Thank you,

0
clusardi2k (507)
9/22/2012 4:16:40 AM
It's possible that what appears to be a checkbox problem is a side-effect o=
f a bigger problem.=20

What can I say. I am lost! Basically, one possibility is that my large proj=
ect was working one second and it wasn't the next second. What could have g=
one wrong.=20

I'm going to walk down and try the following reasoning path.=20

Since I have been working on my toy project for months, I have a series of =
old/saved backup copies of my earlier projects.=20

Basically, it appears that 20 of my last projects are no longer working. Th=
ey probably were working, and now they are giving the same error mentioned =
in my first posting above. I would not have saved non-working projects. Why=
 would I save non-working projects. So, 20 of my backup copies are not work=
ing, but they were.=20

But, saved backup project 21 ago is still working! This is both my blessing=
 and my terrible monster.=20

Anyway, all of my web services are still working. Project 21 ago uses fewer=
 web services than project 20 ago. I.E.: My problem is not with my web serv=
ices. They all work.=20

Here is what I have done. After making the java code in the non-working pro=
ject 20 ago look exactly like the java code in the working project 21 ago, =
I looked at a windiff of the two projects. Windiff allows me to compare all=
 the files in the two projects. I use windiff a lot.=20

(This new project is used in option (2) below.)=20

The 2 projects only differ in the non-java code now, but the non-working pr=
oject 20 ago is still not working!  =20
But, when I compare the resulting new modified old 20 project ago with the =
already working 21 project ago some of the "non-java code" still differs. A=
gain, this new modified project is not working. It gives the same error mes=
sage that I have been seeing when this problem first reared its head. I.E.:=
 A checkbox in a JTable gives an error message.=20

At this juncture, I have three options to try. It appears to be the wisest =
things to try. I have partly started option (1). Options (1) and (3) are ve=
ry similar.=20

(1) Throwing away the NetBeans form files produced by the NetBeans Design v=
iew, quickly copy and paste all the 'java code' from my most recent project=
 that appears to have just stop working to the working old backup project 2=
1 ago.=20

(2) Over write the 2 non-java files (dot xml files) in the new modified pro=
ject with the non-java files in the old working 21 project ago.=20

(3) Carefully preserving the NetBeans form files produced by the NetBeans D=
esign view, copy and paste all the 'java code' from my most recent project =
that appears to have just stop working to the working old backup project 21=
 ago.=20

That's what I'm going to try today. Again, I am lost! I feel I'm hitting a =
dead-end. Yesterday, I followed the recommended Internet solution for my ch=
eckbox in a JTable error message, and it did not work, see my earlier posts=
 in this thread. Today, I'm going to try the above 3 options. It's the wise=
st thing I can try unless you have better ideas.=20

What do you think. Is NetBeans flaky. Could there be problems in the java/N=
etBeans libraries. Did I find a bug. Did I do something that I shouldn't ha=
ve.=20

I'm still looking for a really good idea that will help me.=20

Thank you,
0
clusardi2k (507)
9/22/2012 4:23:29 AM
The project that was not working yesterday is working today. I made no changes to the project at all. The exact same project that was giving me an error all day yesterday is working today.

What do you think about this. What should I do. How should I investigate this further. Should I be weary of using this project in the future.

Thank you,
0
clusardi2k (507)
9/22/2012 3:22:44 PM
On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 07:57:55 -0700 (PDT), clusardi2k@aol.com wrote,

>new Boolean(false)
Just a thought. These would be more efficiently coded as
Boolean.FALSE
The iPhone 5 is a low end Rolex.

0
see_website (5876)
9/22/2012 10:30:41 PM
On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:32:15 -0700 (PDT), Lew <lewbloch@gmail.com>

>I'm pretty sure you need to see your large project in order to get it to work.

What OP needs to do is create SSCCE that is small, but has enough of
the logic of the big project to demonstrate the error.  Without seeing
your code, and without being able to run it, all we can do is guess
what you might have done wrong. That is a rather large number of
possibilities.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sscce.html
The iPhone 5 is a low end Rolex.

0
see_website (5876)
9/22/2012 10:37:33 PM
On 9/22/12 clusardi2k wrote:
> The project that was not working yesterday is working today.
 > I made no changes to the project at all. The exact same project
> that was giving me an error all day yesterday is working today.
>
> What do you think about this. What should I do. How should I
> investigate this further. Should I be weary of using this
> project in the future.
>
> Thank you,

Don't give up hope!

It's only natural that every once in a while you have to struggle with
your toolchain. Especially if you have to work with Eclipse. My 2 cents:
If anything stops working unexpectedly,
(1) restart Eclipse,
(2) clean any caches of Eclipse and restart it,
(3) do a complete checkout of the last revision of your project into
another directory and restart Eclipse,
(4) start again with step (1).

Regards,
Stuart

0
DerTopper (398)

Hi, I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help me. Below is the stack trace. Stack Trace: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.SQLAllocEnv(Native Method) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<init>(DB2Driver.java:245) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<clinit>(DB2Driver.java:130) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:120) Thanks in advance, Ganesh Majji ganesh.m@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I > don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help > me. Unfortunately my crystal bowl stays dark because you didn't mentioned your operating system and which DB2 version you're using. For Windows, *nix and OS/2 please ensure that your application is using the db2java.zip from SQLLIB\java. Check if there are multiple db2jdbc.dll on your system, remove any extra db2jdbc.dll files on the system. Ensure that you can connect to DB2 with the DB2 workstation tools from your machine. sorry for not mentioning the system details. Operation System is SunOS (Solaris) and DB2 SDK 8.2.2 Thank you very much for the kind response, Ganesh Bernd Hohmann wrote: > ganesh.m@gmail...

to use import java.lang.* or import java.lang.Math or none at all?
Hi guys, i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a matter at all? the answer to this post will definitely affect my programming style in the future when i'm considering "to import or not to import"... hmm,,, thanks in advance. JPractitioner wrote: > i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the > compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, > should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action > will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a > matter at all? Whether and how you import classes has exactly zero effect at runtime. Imports (with or without wildcards) are only a kind of abbreviation provided by the compiler to save us the effort of typing in fully-qualified type names every time. In theory explicit importing should make compilation faster -- by a very tiny amount. I've never heard anyone claim that they've even managed to measure a difference let alone found a case where it made a practical difference. So the question comes down to how to write your code for maximum clarity. One school of thought asserts that you should always import each class explicitly (rather than by a wildcard). There's a fai...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these commands: # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object # ls /usr/jdk/instances/ jdk1.5.0 jdk1.6.0 # uname -a SunOS sun1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 Please help to fix the error. Thanks. TsanChung wrote: > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > commands: > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > Error occurred during initialization of VM > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object It's missing or can't find rt.jar, right? How does the Solaris version find it's runtime files? Can you show us where rt.jar is? On Aug 20, 6:24=A0pm, Mark Space <marksp...@sbc.global.net> wrote: > TsanChung wrote: > > I downloaded jdk-6u7-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z and installed it by these > > commands: > > # zcat jdk-6u7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf - > > # pkgadd -d . SUNWj6rtx SUNWj6dvx SUNWj6dmx > > > # /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9/java -version > > Error occurred during initialization of VM > > java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object > > It'...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type of problem and has solved it if he/she could give me a hand or if anyone could just point out what I should be looking for in this type of problem. Thanks in advance... gek ...

java.io.File to java.lang.String
What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by ajava.io.File object into a String? Benjamin wrote:> What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by a> java.io.File object into a String?> You don't specify what you consider best so how about simple as best? Now for my curiosity, why would you want to do this?import java.io.*;public class test { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); File f = new File(args[0]); FileInputStream fis = new ...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
Hi, I'm trying to use the httpclient within Jython (see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/ for more information on the httpclient). My Jython version is: Jython 2.1 on java1.4.2_04 (JIT: null) My Java version is: java version "1.4.2_04" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode) My CLASSPATH includes: jdom.jar xerces.jar jython.jar jt400.jar log4j-1.2.8.jar commons-httpclient-2.0.jar When I just try to perform the import statements from example code I get the error pasted below....

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

NEWBIE: Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java/
Dear Readers, the last time I saw people asking this question was in 2000 and 2001 and no one has concluded it as to how they resolved the issue. I wrote my sample program using Eclipse. that compiled and ran to display the results at the bottom. wanted to familiarize with the tool. so wrote the program and compiled the program. when i compiled at command line, the program compiled fine. when i try to ran it: it gave the Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java/ error. eclipse had a bunch of jar files from the c:\jsdk1.4.2._05 lib files under it. so i changed the classpath in the environmental variable to have all the jar files as displayed on the eclipse editor. ENV: WINXP. Java: C:\>echo %classpath% ..;C:\TOMCAT4129\common\lib\servlet.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\lib\dt.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\lib\tools.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\jce.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\jsse.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\plugin.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\dnsns.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\ldapsec.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\localedata.jar;C:\ j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\sunjce_provider.jar >java -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java >javac -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Compiled well. >java -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFo...

warning: [deprecation] in java.util.Date(java.lang.String) has been deprecated
Dear Java Programmers, When compiling my Java program I get the following warning: "warning: [deprecation] in java.util.Date(java.lang.String) has been deprecated" on for example this statement: new Date("09/23/2003") The code is used to generate the dates on a webpage. Depending on the language of the webpage the generated format is different. For example English (see "Date" and "Choose publication" on the page opened): http://home.scarlet.be/kenya-belgium/list_5_en/a_kenyan_birthday_party_and_a_belgian_birthday_party.html French: http://home.scarlet....

java.lang vs java.util
Surprising to see something defined in java.lang <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on something defined in java.util <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > Surprising to see something defined in java.lang > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on > something defined in java.util > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. > > Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? I think Iterable may make it into java.lang because of its significance in the foreach statement. Patricia On 04/02/2011 12:23 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote: > On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: >> Surprising to see something defined in java.lang >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on >> something defined in java.util >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. >> >> Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? Not if it wants to be consistent with http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/ don't'cha think? And the so-called "hierarchy" of java.util and java.lang is that they are equal. The language reserves for itself the entire panoply of java.* and javax.* packages. > I think It...

Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please reply with YES or NO.
Hi, Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments after it if you wish. I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. Kind regards, Paka Paka Small wrote: > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > java.lang.reflect.Method? It's not subject to vote. It's defined by the language. You might as well ask, "Is 'int' a primitive or a reference type?". Your vote will not change reality. > Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments > after it if you wish. > > I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. And what exactly do you hope to accomplish by this exercise? Distinguish who knows Java from those who don't? A method is not a class, and a class is not a method. That's reality in Java. The law of gravity is not subject to repeal by opinion, and neither is this. Instead of wasting your time and trying to waste ours conducting meaningless polls, why don't you read the material linked upthread and learn the truth for yourself? Learn the truth and it will set you free, or at least keep you from making errors like claiming that methods and classes are the same in Java. -- Lew On 5 feb, 20:38, Lew <lewbl...@gmail.com> wrote: > Paka Small wrote: > > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > > java.lang.reflect.Method? > > It's not sub...

Hello all, how is everyone doing; good I hope. Anyways, I was wondering how I can edit the jvm settings. I have the following error: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space I read that this is caused by not having the jvm set high enough in memory; or an infinite loop. If I try to edit the jvm settings; do I do this in eclipse or add some commands to my actually code? Any thoughs, always apprecited thanks again. "Michael" <mbialowas@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:TtWZf.8710$nf7.4484@pd7tw1no... > Hello all, how is everyone doing; good I hope. Anyways, I was wondering how > I can edit the jvm settings. I have the following error: > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space > > I read that this is caused by not having the jvm set high enough in memory; > or an infinite loop. > > If I try to edit the jvm settings; do I do this in eclipse or add some > commands to my actually code? > > Any thoughs, always apprecited thanks again. Hi, If you're using Eclipse, try adding the following: choose the menu option "run", the "run" again, and you get an option screen. There, you choose "new" to define a new configuration for your current project. As soon as you have done that (or select an existing project), there are several tabs on the right. One of them reads "(x)= Arguments". Select that one, and add th...

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError when running java tests
Hi, When execute the junit test we get: java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError at se.company.wcdma.rbs.boam.pms.impl.RBScanner.preperAndPush(RBScanner.java:526) at se.company.wcdma.rbs.boam.pms.impl.RBScanner.scan(RBScanner.java:766) at se.company.wcdma.rbs.boam.mao.rmo.iub.tb.sut.IubDataStreamMoImplTest.testNewCounters(IubDataStreamMoImplTest.java:254) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:22) at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:19) at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:23) 0.086 testOldCounters Error N/A Any ideas what IncompatibleClassChangeError is and how we can correct it? Cheers, //mikael The cause for this is probably that the RBScanner classes depends on another class which has changed. This can happen if you didn't perform a full recompile of the sources. Delete your class output, recompile the whole source tree and fix any errors that pop up BartCr wrote: > The cause for this is probably that the RBScanner classes depends on > another class which has changed. This can happen if you didn't perform > a full recompile of the sources. > > Delete your class output, recompile the whole source tree and fix any > errors that pop up > Hi, Than...

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Java compiler available
tearing my hair out on this one.Thuis started as an upgrade issue till i realised that my un-usedtomcat5 installation didn't work either with my test jsp.I have, in desparation, un-installed all java / tomcat libs and re-installed only those required to get thetomcat6-6.0.14-1jpp.noarch.rpm (and the band-waggon) loadedfirst I installed java_app_platform_sdk-5_02-linux.binthis shows (after I set alternatives to point to the /opt/SDK/jdkdirecrtory)[root@squirrel ~]# javac -versionjavac 1.6.0java shows the same.I have set the following in profileCLASSPATH=$JDKHOME:$JDKHOME/lib/tools.jarJAVA_H...

java matlab error: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
Hello Im using matlab 2010 and 2007 with windows 7 and i have install the new java. Matlab array editor doesnt work right even though i can see the values of an array in the workspace when i try to edit them in the variable editor i cant see the values and i get an error: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException at com.mathworks.mlwidgets.array.ValueTableModel.setValuesAt(ValueTableModel.java:195) at com.mathworks.mlwidgets.array.ValueTableModel.setValueAt(ValueTableModel.java:190) at com.mathworks.widgets.spreadsheet.ResizingTableModelWrapper.s...

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
I'm using matlab 7.9.0 and I got this error: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space how can I solve this error? I create a file C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2009b\bin\win32 with the name java.opts with -Xmx2024m and I got the same error "Norberto Barroca" <norberto.barroca@hotmail.com> wrote in message <hh5gga$nc8$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I'm using matlab 7.9.0 and I got this error: > Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space > > how ...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space JEditor Pane
Folks i have a simple program mport java.awt.*; import java.awt.event.*; import javax.swing.*; import javax.swing.event.*; import javax.swing.event.HyperlinkListener; import javax.swing.event.HyperlinkEvent; import java.util.*; public class MyPanel extends JPanel implements HyperlinkListener { private JEditorPane J; private JTextArea jt; public MyPanel() { //construct components J = new JEditorPane (); jt=new JTextArea(5,5); //adjust size and set layout setPreferredSize (new Dimension (781, 508)); setLayout (null); //add co...

SGI Java issue "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: poll0"
Hello all; I'm trying to debug an issue with a java script called, SelectSockets. It appears to be a fairly common one found on the web. I downloaded the SGI Java v1.4.1 installation from SGI's webpage and installed it using SGI's swmgr application. The installation was very straight forward and there were no errors when I installed the package. Then I ran /usr/java2/bin/javac SelectSockets.java to make the SelectSockets.class file. Then I ran /usr/java2/bin/java SelectSockets, and got the following error message: =================================================...

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space #3
2007a, student version on windoz XP SP2. I use GUIDE, and after sometime of using it, I notice it gets sluggish in its response to editing and I see the following Java errors on the console: "Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" I am not sure why it runs out of RAM so fast. as I have 4 GB of physical RAM. I did a google on the above and I see that others have seen this. I wonder if there is any update on this problem that someone from Mathworks or others can comment on. Is this still a problem in later Matlab releases...

exception java.lang....
Helo sirs i am getting exception :"java.langnosuchmethod:main" when i run simple follwing program class Helo { public static void main(String args[]) { System.out.println("Hello"); } } i saved it in d:colon & i compiled it d:\>javac Helo.java D:\>java Helo at this time i got this exception.in my system ihave classpath&path.for this i used JDK1.6 used please solve Everything seems to be fine! you need to type/re-run properly. On Feb 27, 1:49 pm, Reddikishore <yourkish...@gmail.com> wrote: > Helo sirs > i am getting exception :"java.langnosuchmethod:main" This is NOT what you are getting... If there is a problem copy it as it is, DO NOT rephrase... > when i run simple follwing program > class Helo > { > public static void main(String args[]) > { > System.out.println("Hello"); > }} > > i saved it in d:colon & > i compiled it d:\>javac Helo.java > D:\>java Helo > at this time i got this exception.in my system ihave > classpath&path.for this i used JDK1.6 used > please solve if java.lang.NoSuchMethodException is thrown that means JVM can not find your class/method... Check your class path... Reddikishore <yourkish...@gmail.com> wrote: >> i [sic] am getting exception :"java.langnosuchmeth...

java.lang.String.
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two assignmentsString ref = "HAI";String obj = new String("HAI"); On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:24:43 -0000, "M.Ponmalar@gmail.com" <M.Ponmalar@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two assignments >String ref = "HAI"; >String obj = new String("HAI"); The second creates a duplicate object, needlessly. The first just assigns a reference to an existing interned string literal object -- Roedy Green Can...

java.lang.string
I need someones help with the following problem. When trying to compile:"can't find symbol,symbole:constructor sam(java.lang.string,java,lang,string) location :class Mine" appears please help me. <<import easyIO.*; class Mine { public static void main(String[] args) { Mine mn= new Mine(args); } Mine(String[] input) { String fill="data.txt"; String fil="cur.txt"; if (inputfil.length>0) fill=input[0]; if (input.length>1) fil=input[1]; Sam sam= new Sam(fill,fil); sam.menu(); } ......... >> ...

Web resources about - CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean - comp.lang.java.programmer