Client server to web based server conversion

Hi all,
I have been asked to play a crusial role in converting an existing
Java based client server application to a web server based
application.
How should I proceed ?

We have to use websphere/Oracle/J2EE. I know these.

How do I approach this problem ? What will be the best way to think
about a design approach for this kind of problems ?

Please help.
All suggestions welcome!!!

Thanks
0
maya_java (1)
9/16/2004 7:29:30 PM
comp.lang.java.programmer 52711 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Shreya Menon wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been asked to play a crusial role in converting an existing
> Java based client server application to a web server based
> application.
> How should I proceed ?

Suggest to your employers that they contract with someone familiar
with the appropriate technologies? Not meaning to offend, but it
sounds like you're out of your depth on this one.

0
bitbucket44 (1435)
9/16/2004 8:14:03 PM
Shreya Menon <maya_java@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have been asked to play a crusial role in converting an existing
> Java based client server application to a web server based
> application.
> How should I proceed ?
>
> We have to use websphere/Oracle/J2EE. I know these.
>
> How do I approach this problem ? What will be the best way to think
> about a design approach for this kind of problems ?

There are two distinctions to keep in mind:
1. Business logic versus interface
2. "Normal" GUI versus web application

The first thing to do is to ensure that the current application has a
clean separation between the business logic and the interface. Then, drive
this separation even further: no automatic updates to the interface (the
interface must take all initiative).

Then, design the web pages for the web application to match the screens
you already have. Follow this by several redesigns until you're satisfied
with the result.

The last step is to connect the business logic with the new interface.

Of course, this assumes three additional requirements are met:
- You're familiar enough with "normal" gui's to understand if the
  interface has all initiative or not.
- The application can actually function as a web application.
- The application has a good design.

--
Oscar Kind                                    http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/
Software Developer                    for contact information, see website

PGP Key fingerprint:    91F3 6C72 F465 5E98 C246  61D9 2C32 8E24 097B B4E2
0
oscar1 (512)