Convert java.util.Date to java.sql.Date

I convert java.util.Date to  java.sql.Date this way:java.util.Date utilDate = new java.util.Date();java.sql.Date sqlDate = new java.sql.Date(utilDate.getTime());And then send sqlDate to prepareStatement.ps.setDate(1, sqlDate).But I got the date such as dd-mm-yyyy. And I need also take hours,minutes pm(am).How can I get the Date "dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm a"?
0
Bumsys (68)

Bumsys@gmail.com wrote:
> I convert java.util.Date to  java.sql.Date this way:
>
> java.util.Date utilDate = new java.util.Date();
> java.sql.Date sqlDate = new java.sql.Date(utilDate.getTime());
>
> And then send sqlDate to prepareStatement.
> ps.setDate(1, sqlDate).
> But I got the date such as dd-mm-yyyy. And I need also take hours,
> minutes pm(am).
>
> How can I get the Date "dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm a"?

The Java Date holds its data as milliseconds since epoch - you have the hours,
minutes and seconds down to the millisecond in there already.

If you are asking how to *display* the Date down to the second, then consider
using things like
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/text/DateFormat.html>
or
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Calendar.html>

If you're asking how to get the database to *store* the date to a certain
resolution, that depends on how you define the column in which you store the
data, which in turn depends on the SQL dialect your DBMS uses.  Check the docs
for your DBMS, and if necessary redefine the column to hold the correct
resolution of your data.

The SQL standard defines TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE, which is what you need.
Different DBMSes support it differently.  (MySQL is completely non-compliant.
Among other things, it doesn't store time zones.)
<http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/#data_types-date_and_time>

--
Lew
0
Bumsys@gmail.com wrote:
> when I convert java.util.Date to  java.sql.Date I want to get sqlDate
> in formate "dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm a"???

java.sql.Date does not *have* "formats".  As I mentioned, it only stores
milliseconds since epoch.  That means it already contains the time down to the
millisecond.

Review my recommendation about java.text.DateFormat.  Did you consider the
information I provided upthread?

GArlington mentioned java.sql.Timestamp.  Aside from its more natural match to
the SQL TIMESTAMP type, Timestamp holds time to nanosecond resolution.  Just
like java.util.Date and its other offspring, java.sql.Date, Timestamp also
does not have a "format" regarding "hh:mm", etc.

Sidebar: The Javadocs refer to the "precision of a Timestamp object" in terms
of the number of characters in its String representation.  That is bogus.
Like its parent, java.util.Date, Timestamp holds long values that represent
milliseconds (actually seconds) and nanoseconds since epoch.  Its precision
therefore is nanoseconds.  I don't know what they were thinking when they
wrote that part about "precision" being "19" - not even any units specified.

Much as I am in favor of the Javadocs, occasionally they disappoint.

Anyway, OP, for your purposes remember that java.util.Date and its offspring
DO NOT HAVE FORMATS for the date.  The only "format" they have is one or two
long values.

Please review the advice given earlier.

--
Lew
1

Converting java.util.Date to java.sql.Date
Hello Friends In my program i am using the following codes: Date today = new Date(); log.debug("today is"+today); SimpleDateFormat fmt = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-mm-dd"); String todayStr = fmt.format(today); log.debug("todayStr value"+todayStr); java.sql.Date dt = java.sql.Date.valueOf(new String(todayStr)); log.debug("current Dt is:"+dt); The output iam getting is like this: today is Sat Sep 09 19:20:13 IST 2006(from java.util.Date) todayStr value 2006-20-09(from string value) current Dt is: 2007-08-09(from java.sql.Date) So h...

Cast from java.util.DATE to java.sql.DATE
DB ORACLE Calendar stCal = Calendar.getInstance(); stmt.setDate(COLUMN_DATA, stCal.getTime()); doesn't work because setDate method Sorry for the first post.... DB ORACLE Calendar stCal = Calendar.getInstance(); stmt.setDate(COLUMN_DATA, stCal.getTime()); doesn't work because setDate method (int, java.sql.Date) in the type PreparedStatement is not applicable for the arguments (int, java.util.Date) If I try with: stmt.setDate(COLUMN_DATA, (java.sql.Date)stCal.getTime()); I obtain a class cast exception Any solution? How can I insert a java.util.date obtained from a calendar object in a Oracle DB (java.sql.Date)? thanks in advance Dom On 01.02.2005 12:36 Dom wrote: > > Any solution? How can I insert a java.util.date obtained from a calendar > object in a Oracle DB (java.sql.Date)? > Calendar stCal = Calendar.getInstance(); java.util.Date utlDate = stCal.getTime(); java.sql.Date sqlDate = new java.sql.Date(utlDate.getTime()); stmt.setDate(COLUMN_DATA, sqlDate); Thomas "Thomas Kellerer" <NNGNVRDSJEBN@spammotel.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3698dfF4v06i6U1@individual.net... > > > On 01.02.2005 12:36 Dom wrote: > > > > Any solution? How can I insert a java.util.date obtained from a calendar > > object in a Oracle DB (java.sql.Date)? > > > > Calendar stCal = Calendar.getInstance(); > java.util.Date utlDate = stCal.getTime()...

warning: [deprecation] in java.util.Date(java.lang.String) has been deprecated
Dear Java Programmers, When compiling my Java program I get the following warning: "warning: [deprecation] in java.util.Date(java.lang.String) has been deprecated" on for example this statement: new Date("09/23/2003") The code is used to generate the dates on a webpage. Depending on the language of the webpage the generated format is different. For example English (see "Date" and "Choose publication" on the page opened): http://home.scarlet.be/kenya-belgium/list_5_en/a_kenyan_birthday_party_and_a_belgian_birthday_party.html French: http://home.scarlet....

java.lang vs java.util
Surprising to see something defined in java.lang <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on something defined in java.util <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > Surprising to see something defined in java.lang > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on > something defined in java.util > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. > > Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? I think Iterable may make it into java.lang because of its significance in the foreach statement. Patricia On 04/02/2011 12:23 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote: > On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: >> Surprising to see something defined in java.lang >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on >> something defined in java.util >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. >> >> Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? Not if it wants to be consistent with http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/ don't'cha think? And the so-called "hierarchy" of java.util and java.lang is that they are equal. The language reserves for itself the entire panoply of java.* and javax.* packages. > I think It...

Convert from java.sql.Date to GregorianCalendar
Hi, How do I convert from java.sql.Date to GregorianCalendar? Thanks, Tom Tempelaere TT (Tom Tempelaere) wrote: > How do I convert from java.sql.Date to GregorianCalendar? Calendar.setTime( Date ); Just an old weird API name to confuse you. -Paul "P.Hill" <goodhill@xmission.com> wrote in message news:bvb7s9$1bc$2@terabinaries.xmission.com... > TT (Tom Tempelaere) wrote: > > How do I convert from java.sql.Date to GregorianCalendar? > > Calendar.setTime( Date ); > > Just an old weird API name to confuse you. > > -Paul So I should construct...

java.util.Date
I'm trying to extract the day, month, and year fields from a java.util.Date object in Java 1.4. can somebody give me some pointers? Thanks. -james "james tsao" <jtsao@go.com> wrote in message news:8c426184.0404221049.644ed860@posting.google.com... > I'm trying to extract the day, month, and year fields from a > java.util.Date object in Java 1.4. > can somebody give me some pointers? > Thanks. > -james Look at Calendar. Silvio Bierman jtsao@go.com (james tsao) wrote: > I'm trying to extract the day, month, and year fields ...

Abandon java.util.Hashtable and java.util.Vector
Abandon java.util.Hashtable and java.util.Vector. Use other java.util.Map and java.util.List implementations instead, such as java.util.HashMap and java.util.ArrayList, respectively. While you're at it, don't use java.util.Enumeration; stick with java.util.Iterator. -- Lew On Mar 31, 8:24 pm, Lew <l...@nospam.lewscanon.com> wrote: > Abandon java.util.Hashtable and java.util.Vector. Use other java.util.Map and > java.util.List implementations instead, such as java.util.HashMap and > java.util.ArrayList, respectively. Tell that the m*th*f*ck*s at Sun wh...

Java to Forth converter? ( was Re: Java to Forth converter? )
Is possible, to my understanding, IBM, SUN, Microsoft should be very happy to help with the assimilation, not. Java byte code is the key. many simularities, however, because no registers are used, --> the good, clean functional programming, clean return stack usage enforced thru Java bytecode compilers --> the bad, mapping functions, array iteration is slow, DSP work non competative, several 'weird' java byte code instructions to 'make up for' lack of direct register/optimize substituting only a parameter stack, First one to build a Java to Forth converter owns IBM....

Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please reply with YES or NO.
Hi, Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments after it if you wish. I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. Kind regards, Paka Paka Small wrote: > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > java.lang.reflect.Method? It's not subject to vote. It's defined by the language. You might as well ask, "Is 'int' a primitive or a reference type?". Your vote will not change reality. > Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments > after it if you wish. > > I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. And what exactly do you hope to accomplish by this exercise? Distinguish who knows Java from those who don't? A method is not a class, and a class is not a method. That's reality in Java. The law of gravity is not subject to repeal by opinion, and neither is this. Instead of wasting your time and trying to waste ours conducting meaningless polls, why don't you read the material linked upthread and learn the truth for yourself? Learn the truth and it will set you free, or at least keep you from making errors like claiming that methods and classes are the same in Java. -- Lew On 5 feb, 20:38, Lew <lewbl...@gmail.com> wrote: > Paka Small wrote: > > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > > java.lang.reflect.Method? > > It's not sub...

java date
Hi guys, I have a question, How I can get the date from a file? thanks a lot Marco "Slk DSI unimi it" <no_ronchetti_spam@dico.unimi.it> wrote in message news:bmeeiv$1ob$1@sun250.unimi.it... > Hi guys, > > I have a question, > How I can get the date from a file? > last modified date? File f = new File("C:/blah/blah.txt"); System.out.println(new Date(f.lastModified())); -- Mike W Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4 :-) Self congratulation for a limited time only ;-) ...

Compiling Java from Java
I wish to write a Java program which can compile and run java source code. Can this be done without resorting to OS-specific calls to javac? I've seen suggestions that Ant might allow me to do this, but I've looking through the Ant manual, I can't see anything about it. Any hints? Malcolm Malcolm Ryan wrote: > I wish to write a Java program which can compile and run java source > code. Can this be done without resorting to OS-specific calls to javac? > I've seen suggestions that Ant might allow me to do this, but I've > looking through the Ant manual, I can&#...

Ruby to java or java to ruby converter
hi, am a newbie to ruby and was wondering whether there is any ruby2java or java2ruby converter? we are planning to compare both the languages based on some benchmarks..so thought a converter would come in handy. any suggestions? thanx, vinod -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. From: "Vinod Kone" <vinodkone@yahoo.com> > > am a newbie to ruby and was wondering whether there is any ruby2java or > java2ruby converter? we are planning to compare both the languages based > on some benchmarks..so thought a converter would come in handy. any > suggestions? ...

java.sql.Date value truncated using JDBC in MS-SQL Server
Hi, I'm trying to write a java.sql.Date to a database and the minutes/ seconds etc. are not being written. I've seen and tested many examples found via searches and still have come up with nothing. Here's what I have: java.sql.Date formation - recommended constructor forms: java.sql.Date entryDttm = new java.sql.Date(System.currentTimeMillis()); OR java.sql.Date entryDttm = new java.sql.Date(new java.util.Date().getTime()); // prepared statement insert pstmt.setDate(1, entryDttm); // what is written to database 2007-02-07 12:00:00.000 // what needs to be written 2007-02-08 09:37:25.793 The above date value is written when I insert using the SQL method GETDATE() in a straight SQL Insert statement. The field is stored in a MS SQL Server 8.0 database and is defined as a 'datatime' or 'smalldatetime' field. How can I replicate the results of GETDATE() into 'datetime' and 'smalldatetime' fields in a MS-SQL Server database (or is it possible?). Would a timestamp datatype make more sense? I'm using MS_SQL Server JDBC drivers. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! ddog wrote: > Hi, > I'm trying to write a java.sql.Date to a database and the minutes/ > seconds etc. are not being written. I've seen and tested many examples You multi-posted this one to comp.lang.java.programmer as "Re: java.sql.Date truncated when written to DB. How to obtain full date?". F...

java.util.Date Problem on iSeries
Hello, I have a strange Problem with java.util.Date on our iSeries. We are on V5R2 and have actual PTFs on the machine. I have installed JDK1.2 , JDK1.3.1 and JDK1.4.1 Here is a simple code witch I use to find out whats going on: import java.util.*; public class SimpleDateTest { public SimpleDateTest() { } public static final void main(String args[]) { Date date = new Date(); System.out.println(date); } } When I run this on the iSeries with java 1.4.1 or 1.3.1 and got the following error: java SimpleDateTest java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: java...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type of problem and has solved it if he/she could give me a hand or if anyone could just point out what I should be looking for in this type of problem. Thanks in advance... gek ...

java.io.File to java.lang.String
What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by ajava.io.File object into a String? Benjamin wrote:> What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by a> java.io.File object into a String?> You don't specify what you consider best so how about simple as best? Now for my curiosity, why would you want to do this?import java.io.*;public class test { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); File f = new File(args[0]); FileInputStream fis = new ...

Certified Java Programmer (Sun Java 2)
I'm very interested in Java, and I would very much like to work with Java as a professional programmer. I have a degree as an electronics engineer (from 1996), but unfortunately, I can't get a job as a programmer with this diploma, because it is to old, and courses in modern OOP are missing. What should I do to get a Certificate as a Java (2) programmer? -I've heard that Sun Microsystems have examination as "Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer" and "Sun Certified Java 2 Developer". I think, that I could study Java 2 at home with my own computer (With Suns Java 2 S...

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Java compiler available
tearing my hair out on this one.Thuis started as an upgrade issue till i realised that my un-usedtomcat5 installation didn't work either with my test jsp.I have, in desparation, un-installed all java / tomcat libs and re-installed only those required to get thetomcat6-6.0.14-1jpp.noarch.rpm (and the band-waggon) loadedfirst I installed java_app_platform_sdk-5_02-linux.binthis shows (after I set alternatives to point to the /opt/SDK/jdkdirecrtory)[root@squirrel ~]# javac -versionjavac 1.6.0java shows the same.I have set the following in profileCLASSPATH=$JDKHOME:$JDKHOME/lib/tools.jarJAVA_H...

Re: Ruby to java or java to ruby converter
Vinod Kone wrote: > hi, > > am a newbie to ruby and was wondering whether there is any ruby2java or > java2ruby converter? we are planning to compare both the languages based > on some benchmarks..so thought a converter would come in handy. any > suggestions? I have implemented a rudimentary Ruby to Javascript converter. So I don't think it should be much harder to do the same with Java. Of course as Java is static typed, one would need to pass Objects everywhere and do runtime type-casting all the time, unless one implements some kind of type inference for Ruby (w...

CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error. My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass". Thank you, compile: run: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at javax.swing.JTable$BooleanRenderer.getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable.java:5412) at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5735) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCell(BasicTableUI.java:2114) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCells(BasicTableUI.java:2016) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paint(BasicTableUI.java:1812) at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(ComponentUI.java:161) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:778) at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1054) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5221) at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(RepaintManager.java:1482) at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1413) at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1206) at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5169) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4980) at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:770) at javax.swing.RepaintM...

Why so many methods deprecated in java.util.Date.

Java applet converting dates to local timezone
We have recently moved a Java applet from one host to another. Part of this applet retrieves a date from a CORBA server running on the host. We have a problem on the new server where the applet is converting the returned date to the timezone of the local PC. As the time portion of the date is set to 00.00.00 this causes the date to change in locations that are behing GMT (our server is in London). For example if the server returns 18th October 00.00.00 GMT, the applet running on a PC in New York displays 17th October (behind the scenes it has converted to EST). The mystery is why this has started happening when we moved to a new server, the code is identical and there a no major differences in the webserver (iPlanet) config. Anyone any ideas? Can you post the date parsing block of your applet? Do both hosts (old and new) run the same VM? Michael Elliott wrote: > We have recently moved a Java applet from one host to another. Part > of this applet retrieves a date from a CORBA server running on the > host. > > We have a problem on the new server where the applet is converting the > returned date to the timezone of the local PC. As the time portion of > the date is set to 00.00.00 this causes the date to change in > locations that are behing GMT (our server is in London). > > For example if the server returns 18th October 00.00.00 GMT, the > applet running on a PC in New York displays 17th October (behind the > scenes it has co...

java.util.logging for Java 1.3.1
Being stuck in Java 1.3 becuase of application vendors, I would love to have a backwards port of java.util.logging libraries to 1.3. Has anybody out there have such a port? Thanks, Tim "Java script Dude" <despam2004@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:1130428022.062087.173350@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Being stuck in Java 1.3 becuase of application vendors, I would love to > have a backwards port of java.util.logging libraries to 1.3. > > Has anybody out there have such a port? There's one called Lumberjack avalable from Sourceforge. "Java scr...

Web resources about - Convert java.util.Date to java.sql.Date - comp.lang.java.programmer

Coca-Cola made packaging that converts into a free Google Cardboard-style VR viewer [Video]
... if the above experiment turns into reality. The project envisions packaging for a 12-pack of Cokes and other products that is easily converted ...

Coca-Cola made packaging that converts into a free Google Cardboard-style VR viewer for iPhone
... if the above experiment turns into reality. The project envisions packaging for a 12-pack of Cokes and other products that is easily converted ...

The Galaxy S7 Edge may have just made me a Samsung convert
Historically, I've had a begrudging respect for Samsung flagships. I can objectively acknowledge the company makes very good, extremely popular ...

This modular robot tank converts into a tracked hoverboard
Filed under: Etc. , Videos , Autonomous , Military , Off-Road The unmanned vehicle is equal parts hoverboard and tank.