Desktop icon with Java Web Start

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am trying to find any reliable information, wether or not Java WebStart icons can create desktop icons on other systems than Windows.Specifically, I'd been interested in Linux and Mac OSX. I have a JNLPfile, which creates the icons on Windows, but not on Linux (at leastnot Knoppix 5.1.1). In fact, the javaws program immediately removesthe shortcut tag from the JNLP file. But I could not find anydocuments on this behavior.Maybe someone knows, where this is documented, or how I could enforcean icon on Linux?
0
Reply mga010 (30) 3/12/2007 1:04:29 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Mar 13, 12:04 am, "Rene Grothmann" <mga...@gmx.de> wrote:> I am trying to find any reliable information, wether or not Java Web> Start icons can create desktop icons on other systems than Windows.> Specifically, I'd been interested in Linux and Mac OSX.I recall a thread on the Sun JNLP forum where it wasmentioned that no shortcuts were (expected to be) createdon some *nix systems, but cannot recall the details.OTOH - the chances are best if you stick to the limitedtypes/colors mentioned in the JNLP Spec. and other docs.Andrew T.
0
Reply Andrew 3/13/2007 2:54:48 AM
comp.lang.java.programmer 51948 articles. 38 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Desktop icon with Java Web Start #2
I am trying to find any reliable information, wether or not Java WebStart can create desktop icons on other systems than Windows.Specifically, I'd been interested in Linux and Mac OSX. I have a JNLPfile, which creates the icons on Windows, but not on Linux (at leastnot Knoppix 5.1.1). In fact, the javaws program immediately removesthe shortcut tag from the JNLP file. But I could not find anydocuments on this behavior.Maybe someone knows, where this is documented, or how I could enforcean icon on Linux?...

Drag an icon/object (which is an exe. and has short cut, for example java web start icon
Hi.. " Does anybody know how I can Drag an icon/object (which is an exe. and has short cut, for example java web start icon) from windows desktop to Java GUI application ? If so, where can I Find More info/demo source code" Regards, rakesh ...

Java web start icon
I am going to get an icon professionally prepared to represent JavaWeb Start. You could use it to mark JAWS apps on your web pages, orto mark JNLP files. It will come as a multi-resolution ico file andas a set of pngs. I will release it to the public.What should it look like?Sun should have done this, but they haven't so I would like to do it.--Roedy Green Canadian Mind ProductsThe Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:34:11 GMT, Roedy Green<see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quotedsomeone who said :>What should it look like?there is...

Java Web Start Icon bug
If you change the short name of a JNLP app say from "XXX 1.0" to "XXX 1.1" Java web start creates a new icon on the desktop, but does not remove the old one. If you click REFRESH, the old one goes away, but leaves a hole. This may be a Win2K, bug, but I figure the new Icon should go in the same screen slot as the one it replaces. -- Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green. Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html for The Java Glossary. ...

Java Web Start Icons, please register your preference.
I commissioned a Java Web Start icon for public use from Ahasoft.com, e.g. to mark JNLP files in listings, to mark JNLP links, to decorate esssys about Java Web start. The artist has given me three designs to choose from: please have a look and tell be which one you like best: http://mindprod.com/jgloss/image/start_java_1.png http://mindprod.com/jgloss/image/start_java_2.png http://mindprod.com/jgloss/image/start_java_3.png One concern is how it will look in small sizes. Just looking at the size they gave me, the spring version tickles my sense of whimsy. The winged version looks a little...

Java Web Start app icons keep going in user profile not All Users profile
We are deploying a java web start application that has been programmed and delivered to us by an outside vendor onto several machines that are shared by different users. All of the users log onto our network and authenticate to a windows domain. We would like all of the icons and java items to be deployed into the All Users profile so that other people that use these PCs don't have to keep reinstalling the applications and the icons. We have changed some of the jnlp files and the temporary files section of the javaws preferences to point to the all users profile section and have told ...

non-java files with Java Web Start?
Can JWS handle updating non-java files as well as java? Part of a java program that I want to deploy has some .dll's for a browser component that I am using. Any info is appreciated. Thanks. Frank G. On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:33:38 -0400, Frank D. Greco <fgreco@REMOVEcrossroadstechNOSPAM.com> wrote or quoted : >Can JWS handle updating non-java files as well as java? >Part of a java program that I want to deploy has some .dll's >for a browser component that I am using. You can put the dlls in a jar, and use the nativelib tag in the JNLP file to get the contents put on ...

java web start with security web access
I have deployed a Java Web Start Application into a web server with restriction area. If i use tomcat user when I start Jws application there is this error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\JNFOKRZK\admin[1].jnlp (The system cannot find the file specified) at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source) at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source) at com.su...

Use Java web start to start application on the command line by the file name
I can use Java web start to start my Swing GUI application on the command line by the url: javaws http://localhost:7001/webstart/myapp/launch.jnlp How to use Java web start to start my Swing GUI application on the command line by the file name? The following ways do not work: javaws -codebase "" -J-Xrunjdwp:transport=3Ddt_socket launch.jnlp javaws -J-Xdebug -J-Xnoagent -J- Xrunjdwp:transport=3Ddt_socket,server=3Dn,suspend=3Dy launch.jnlp javaws -codebase "" -J-Xrunjdwp:transport=3Ddt_socket,server=3Dn,suspend=3D= n launch.jnlp javaws -codebase "" -J-...

Java Web Start
I made a program, which uses javax.swing (JFrame, JPanel and so on), but when I try to execute the application using the launch.html, Netbeans created I just can't see it In the task manager (in Windows Vista) it shows, that javaw.exe is starting each time You can see the application at http://lsmc.dk/test/launch.html What have I done wrong? If necessary I could also upload the source code In article <07fa65d7-e4dc-405f-a080-9d9dbd11710a@s20g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, The87Boy <the87boy@gmail.com> wrote: > I made a program, which uses javax.swing (JFrame, J...

Java Web Start
Using Solaris 9 and JWS 1.4.2. In JWS, under the proxy settings, the Browser settings tab is unusable and says "unable to determine settings". So it seems as if JWS can't see the correct netscape info. Any ideas? At all? Thanks ...

java web start

Java Web Start
Hi, I'm Alessandro. I have the following problem: I have transformed my java application in a jar file because I use Java Web Start (Jaws) to download and execute application from a remote host. I signed the jar to obtain any rights. My application needs an external executable file. I put it in a directory into jar file, but Jaws can't find the path. I tried to create another jar file only for the directory containing external tool, but it's was unavailing. If I put an absolute path Jaws can find the external tool. I can't understand from where Jaws starts to follow the relati...

Java Web Start
Hi, I'm Alessandro. I have the following problem: I have transformed my java application in a jar file because I use Java Web Start (Jaws) to download and execute application from a remote host. I signed the jar to obtain any rights. My application needs an external executable file. I put it in a directory into jar file, but Jaws can't find the path. I tried to create another jar file only for the directory containing external tool, but it's was unavailing. If I put an absolute path Jaws can find the external tool. I can't understand from where Jaws starts to follow the relati...

Start Here Desktop icon
When I start Fedora core 2 the start here text is displayed on tne screen and when I ckick on the Icon It says protocal not supported vfolder ...

Java Web Start
I've got a jar file that I'm loading with Java's Web Start. When I load the ..jnlp file from a browser, the application installs and runs properly the first time. If I close the application and click on the link in the browser a second time, the Web Start splash screen loads for 15-20 seconds and disappears without launching the app. If I delete the application from the Web Start utility it will again download and execute the first time but not subsequently. Web Start is configured to "Use Browser Settings" under Network Settings. I've tried Direct...

How can I pass "-verbosegc" to a java application which is launched by "Java Web Start"
I have a JAVA Application, which is launched by "Java Web Start". Now I want to get Information about Gabage Collction. Normally in JAVA I just set the JVM-option "-verbosegc" to activate logging. But How can I pass that option to my JVM through "Java Web Start". Is there any to set tis option whitin my ".jnlp" File ??? Thanks for any help Willi ...

Sun/Java would win BIG if they included xml based RIA in Java Web Start (think Adobe Flex)
Hello, Adobe Flex is awesome for front ends -it is simple XML based GUI design that make swing look like the stone ages. I keep wondering why sun/java doesn't enhance Java Web Start to include XML based Rich Internet Application functionality. Seems they would have a big home run if they did? kwiatekfamily@gmail.com wrote: > Adobe Flex is awesome for front ends -it is simple XML based GUI > design that make swing look like the stone ages. I keep wondering why > sun/java doesn't enhance Java Web Start to include XML based Rich > Internet Application functionality. Seems t...

java web start #8
Hi All, I was wondering what is required for java web start to work. If I wanted to get web hosting that supported java web start applications what is required and does anyone recommend any web hosting companies for doing this. thanks. C Student wrote: .... > I was wondering what is required for java web start to work. 1) A JNLP file (that connects to all the correct resources etc.) 2) A server that will serve the JNLP file as the correct content-type. 3) As a bonus, add a web page that checks for JWS and prompts download if not found. >...If I > wanted to get web hosting that...

Java Web Start and Socket
Hi All Im trying to convert an application in to web start. The application uses socket connection to connect remote server (like messenger). It is working fine when it is standalone but when im converting in to Java Web Start the following error occurs Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system NLPException[category: Security Error : Exception: null : LaunchDesc: null ] I signed the jar file also and it is verified even though im getting the same message Please help me in doing s Regards and Adv.Thanks Hariharan.S -- Message posted via http://www.javakb.com ...

java web start jars
Hello, I'm a student at the university of Antwerp Belgium and I'm writing a program for java web start that has to support plugins. Now my question is why does java web start download 3 versions of the resources specified in the jnlp file: RC*.jar, RM*.jar and RT*.jar and is there any way in which I can acces the jar files in the following way: String url = "location of jar file downloaded by java web start" URL u = new URL("jar", "", url + "!/"); JarURLConnection uc = (JarURLConnection)u.openConnection(); JarFile jar = uc.getJarFile(); Man...

Java Web Start problem
We've developed a downloadable java software application that uses Sun's Java Web Start technology. We've had no problems with 98, 2000 or XP Home users downloading and installing it but we've had a few calls from XP Pro users experiencing problems. We know it's a either an OS or IE (possibly IE5?)issue but we can't track down what the exact problem is. If any of you can download and install our software and let me know if you experience any problems it would be greatly appreciated. The error message one user received is posted below. http://www.chartfilter.com Click o...

Java web start and jars...
I have a couple of questions about this, and Im hoping a couple of you can share your thoughts. With java web start, if I were to pack everything into a single jar and have someone download it. Then update a single class file within that jar, is the whole jar downloaded onto their computer for the next update? Or is the single class file downloaded to their machine for the update? If the answer is that the entire jar file is downloaded... then.... can java webstart support multiple jar files as a single application? meaning, if I were to supply 3 jar files (one with the graphics, one with...

Java Web Start misbehaving
Hi, I'm using java ws for the first time and I can't seem to figure out why my application will download and run (according to my task manager), but I can't see the GUI or a console. I get no errors from jws. I went through the list of application considerations and I seemt o fulfill all the requirements. I'm running on jre 1.6. Also, for whatever reason I couldn't get the $$codebase macro to work. Javaws throws an exception saying it's an invalid argument, even though it says right here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/javaws/developersguide/downloadservlet...