Desktop icon with Java Web Start

I am trying to find any reliable information, wether or not Java WebStart icons can create desktop icons on other systems than Windows.Specifically, I'd been interested in Linux and Mac OSX. I have a JNLPfile, which creates the icons on Windows, but not on Linux (at leastnot Knoppix 5.1.1). In fact, the javaws program immediately removesthe shortcut tag from the JNLP file. But I could not find anydocuments on this behavior.Maybe someone knows, where this is documented, or how I could enforcean icon on Linux?
0
mga010 (30)
3/12/2007 1:04:29 PM
comp.lang.java.programmer 52299 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Mar 13, 12:04 am, "Rene Grothmann" <mga...@gmx.de> wrote:> I am trying to find any reliable information, wether or not Java Web> Start icons can create desktop icons on other systems than Windows.> Specifically, I'd been interested in Linux and Mac OSX.I recall a thread on the Sun JNLP forum where it wasmentioned that no shortcuts were (expected to be) createdon some *nix systems, but cannot recall the details.OTOH - the chances are best if you stick to the limitedtypes/colors mentioned in the JNLP Spec. and other docs.Andrew T.
0
Andrew

DBRecovery Desktop 2006.0644
DBRecovery Desktop suite provides a set of database recovery utilities in convenient setup package at cost-saving price. With DBRecovery Desktop one can recover tables and table data from damaged database. The suite provides recovery solution for such formats as Microsoft Access (.mdb), FileMaker Pro, Works Database, Paradox. Also features an utility for DBF recovery (file format used in Microsoft Visual FoxPro and other database applications). All the components are easy in use, no special skills required. More Info: http://www.officerecovery.com/dbrecovery/index.htm?submit/ Downlo...

SN#13334 The Father of Java[TM] Technology Reveals its Conception
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 77 Issue 2 2004-07-12 Article 13334 from section "Features" Gosling Reflects on this Revolutionizing Programming Language James Gosling has been described as starting one of the most powerful of the industry's contrarian currents into motion with the creation of the Java[TM] programming language. According to Gosling, his inspiration for Java came by taking a step back, observing and absorbing the changing context of computing during the mid-90s. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=13334 Have ...

DI604 connection taskbar icon timeout
Just purchased a brand new D-Link DI604. I use it to share a Time Warner Cable connection. It is connected to an onboard SiS900 NIC and a Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem. Both my taskbar icons for network "Local Area Connection Status" and "Internet Connection Status" keep randomly dissapearing and then reapearing as if they are constantly timing out and going off line and then back on again. I have already flashed to the latest firmware and still notice internet timeouts and the taskbar connection dissapearing/reapearing problem. Any advice or suggestions wo...

Mac Desktop
I'm one who keeps my desktop "pristine", that is with normally no folders or such on the desktop and a disappearing dock. A good friend is quite the opposite having probably around forty folders or such on the desktop and a non-disappearing dock. I'm not going to say which is better or more productive, but that I find it interesting that the Mac interface provides such a variance in appearance choice. it would be interesting to hear from others as to where their choices lie and why. -- James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@me.com> wrote: &...

US-TX-Fort Worth: APPLICATION PROGRAMMING, Java, C++, Unix (45354532420)
US-TX-Fort Worth: APPLICATION PROGRAMMING, Java, C++, Unix (45354532420) ======================================================================== Position: APPLICATION PROGRAMMING Reference: MLS00016 Location: Fort Worth TX Duration: Skills: Java, C++, Unix Scope: Support/Development for Integrated Computing Environment which consists of 3 main components, a mainframe/TPF component, a mid-range (Solaris) CORBA service and a client library which implements client-side business rules and encapsulates...

Java Vs Perl
Disclamer i use perl to make the point clearer i'm not saying that perl is the perfict languige but perl is just a languige thats populer and im lerning it Java is staticly typed and slower than perl and espeshaly consitering perl has to parse Sourse Code Most of the time. it has all the cons of a scripting languige with none of its pros wich is Loose Dinamic Typeing. lets compare some perl code to some java. Hello World Perl print "hello world\n"; Java class hello{ public static void main(){ System.out.println("hello world&quo...

graphic for rounding out edges on web pages
Ok, I have a web site set up with a title area and a left navigation, both let the body background show thru, which is (for those who want to replicate it): transparent background with html #D18F55 on both stroke and fill and textured woodgrain on stroke and fill and a fill to cover the entire 125 x 125 px square. The body of the page has a white background making where the title bar and left nav meet look like an upside-down L. I'm trying for the boomerang shape I mentioned before and am having problems implementing it. I come close but not quite... I've taken a copy of the squar...

US-LA-Lafayette: Web Developer, Lotus Notes/Domino, HTML, DHTML, JavaScript, CSS (45287357606)
US-LA-Lafayette: Web Developer, Lotus Notes/Domino, HTML, DHTML, JavaScript, CSS (45287357606) ============================================================================================== Position: Web Developer Reference: SMC01178 Location: Lafayette LA Duration: C-P Skills: 4+ years of Web Design experience developing Lotus Notes/Domino, interactive web sites using HTML, DHTML, JavaScript, and CSS. Graphic design & page layout experience using Photoshop (or similar high-quality graphics software). Scope: ...

Icon in Browser Location Bar and in Tabbed Browser Pages
Icon in Browser Location Bar and in Tabbed Browser Pages Using browsers like Mozilla FireFox and Opera V7, you'll notice quite an increase in companies displaying an icon in Browser Address Location Bar and in Tabbed Browser Pages. And it shows up in the Internet Explorer's Favorites menu (V5 and up) as well. See the example image included with this message: favicon_example.png to see a Mozilla Firefox screen shot Here are some hints on how to accomplish this: Do a google on "favicon.ico" to locate a number of pages with more detailed instructions. However, it can be...

Force Sun Java to install?
Since this is a "Set-up problems, catch-all first aid." group, and I don't find a more appropriate one, I'll post here. If I missed the appropriate group, just let me know. I am trying to install Sun Java 5 bulids onto stations that already have older builds. The command line is below, and ran under the SYSTEM user. jre-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p.exe /s /v"/qn IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 NETSCAPE6=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress JAVAUPDATE=0 WEBSTARTICON=0" Sometimes when this runs, it creates the directorys but no registry settings. Then when I go to re-run the install, MSI te...

looking for personal desktop or embedded database engine
Subject: personal desktop or embedded database engine Hello, I am looking for a database engine with the following characteristics: a) It should handle up to 2GB-4GB of raw data (total database size storing 4GB of raw data should not exceed dozen or so gigabytes), allocated into dozen or so tables, and several million rows; many of rows holding CLOB and BLOB data (most of them will be no longer than few kilobytes, but no artificial limit of 1MB, for instance, should be put on LOB size). Disk space consumption should be reasonably proportional to raw data size stored, for example...

VB and java
can vb and java work together??? On 27 Sep 2004 04:25:07 -0700, Marco.Macauley@westlothian.gov.uk (mm2430) wrote: >can vb and java work together??? They can write to the same database, they could launch each other's programs. They can't directly modify values on each other's forms...What are you trying to do? _______________________ Michael B. Johnson ...

Java 1.5 for Irix 6.5
My searches for a JRE 1.5 for Irix 6.5 have been futile. 1.5 was released by Sun in September 2004. How long does SGI lag behind in getting a JRE out? I'm new to Java on the SGI...does anyone know more about this? thanks, Jeff jeff.lyons@ngc.com wrote: > My searches for a JRE 1.5 for Irix 6.5 have been futile. 1.5 was > released by Sun in September 2004. How long does SGI lag behind in > getting a JRE out? I'm new to Java on the SGI...does anyone know more > about this? I'm afraid we're stuck at 1.4.1_06 which came out in April 2004... ...

Dual Monitors laptop/desktop
I am not quite sure how to do this. I got a Dell Laptop (9200) on the way and I want to use my existing monitor for both my desktop computer and my laptop. I know the only way it would probably work is with some sort of A/B switch like some people have done with TV. I assume you can't have two different computers hooked up to the same monitor at the same time, or can you run a split screen thing? Is there anything like this out there and what is it called, and how would I do it? Thank you! There are switches available to allow one keyboard, monitor and mouse to be shared by 2 or mor...

Seeking feedback on Password Protection via Java/JavaScript ONLY (no cgi)
Seeking feedback on Password Protection via Java/JavaScript ONLY (no cgi): SEE: http://online_tools.home.att.net/tools.html *AND* http://online_tools.home.att.net/extraCode.htm Thanks. Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote: > Seeking feedback on Password Protection via Java/JavaScript ONLY (no cgi): Its rubbish. No different from just keeping the URL secret (except it requires the user to have a JVM installed). -- David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/> Home is where the ~/.bashrc is In article <5f5b576f74bbac23dedc77ed...

Java Online Training in India #2
Java Online Training in India Mail Us: info@enrollmytraining.com Call Us:+91-9705981289 Course content: Features of Java Java and Internet Programming Environment of Java Java Virtual Machine Fundamental Programming Structures in Java A Simple Java Program Compiling Java Programs Bytes Codes Classloaders Where are classes stored How are objects created Memory Management in Java Garbage Collection Types of Garbage Collectors Comments Datatypes and Variables Assignments and Initializations Operators Strings Compile Time String Runtime Strings Co...

starting J2EE
Hi, I am teaching myself J2EE. I have couple of books but how can I get practical experience? I installed trial version of IBM-websphere but it seems too complex for a beginner in J2EE. I have WindowsXP. Suggestions are welcome. Cheers, prabhat have a look at either tomcat (not the complete j2ee api - but some interesting stuff) or jboss. Just unzip jboss to the dir of your choice, cd to ./bin and type run (will start default server). Its much easier than most of the commercial servers to get familiar with. "prabhat" <prabhat143@yahoo.com> wrote in me...

How do I get started programming?
Well.... After my last question, it seems obvious that I am going to have to wade into the HP clear up to my armpits (i.e. get happy with programming). So I have never programmed an HP (or any other calculator for that matter). Where is the best place to start learning the syntax and command structure? I have written a lot of PC code, but somehow I think that isn't going to translate so well. Are there any 'bone head' tutorials available somewhere? Just what I wanted to do; learn another programming language..... cripes. I am up to my ears in alligators trying to get my nearly 50 ...

The New Desktop Paradigm: Blame the Success of Linux on the Desktop
<http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2012/04/the-new-desktop-paradigm-blame.html> <quote> The new Windows 8 Metro desktop, the latest incarnation of Mac OSX, Android, Ubuntu's Unity desktop and GNOME 3, love them or hate them, all came about because of the success of Linux on the desktop. No, you didn't misread that and, no, I'm not talking about market share. The new desktop paradigm originated on the very successful Linux desktop designs of the early netbooks: Xandros Presto! introduced the current style of desktop on the ASUS Eee PC in 2007. Those sold like proverbial ho...

help with java assignment
Was just hoping someone could shed a bit of light on how to approach this assignment. It would seem we have to determine the value of a in order to determine how many times the method m() is called, but there doesn't seem to be enough information to determine a's value. Any tips would be greatly appreciated... Many Thanks For each of the following snippets of code, give the number of times method m() is called, with a brief explanation. Assume that a and b are nonnegative integers. Snippet A for (int i = a; i < a*a; ++i) { m(); } int i = 0; int j = a; while (i <...

HELP
I'm trying to get rid of Palm Desktop When I try to install the desktop for the TX I get the error message 1714 cannot remove old installation, I've been to the Palm website and tried all the ideas but they don't work, I've been through the registry and deleted every occurrence of "Palm, Palmone, Handspring, U.S. Robotics". There is no file on my system with palm in it's name If I try and reinstall the old desktop I get an error about corruption, some where on my computer there is something which is telling the Palm installer that the desktop is stil...

DisAssembler... Where to start...
I really hated assembler. I didn't want to admit to myself that it was because I didn't understad it at all... But now I learn assembler in school and I started to like it. But I would like to extend my knowledge and write DisAssembler for x86. Where should I start? Where can I get info on executables... I read guide from MSDN about portble executable but I still don't know how to know where is .code, .text, .data, .idata, .rsrc, and .reloc address... For start I would like to get .code address start and end... Hope you could help me... By SysCold hi SysCold: for windows lo...

ramdisk: how give it a name? (on desktop it's 'untitled')
My system (G5, OSX 10.4.11) creates a ramdisk at boot time, using a script based on an example on the hdid manpage: device="`hdiutil attach -nomount ram://1024`" #device="`/usr/bin/hdid -nomount ram://1024`" /sbin/newfs $device /sbin/mount $device /nmk/ram0 (I changed the first line to one using hdiutl because the manpage for hdid said hdid was mildly deprecated). The disk works perfectly well. My only niggle is that its ikon on my desktop is labelled 'Untitled'. I'd like to be able to change that. The wish is purely aesthetic; I never interact with the ...

Serious Vulnerability in PGP Desktop 10.0.3 and 10.1 -- No Fix for Free Version #2
PGP issued security advisory SYM10-012. See <http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/securityupdates/detail.jsp?fid=security_advisory&pvid=security_advisory&year=2010&suid=20101118_00>. In Vulnerability Note VU#300785 of US-CERT (an agency of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security), this vulnerability is described as > > An attacker could add a message part (attachment) > > to a valid, signed PGP message and the entire message, > > including the attacker's message part, would be > > reported to the reader as having a valid si...

US-TX-Austin: Software Architect, UML, OOA/OOD, RUP, Java, J2EE, JSP, JMS; 1Y (45284632403)
US-TX-Austin: Software Architect, UML, OOA/OOD, RUP, Java, J2EE, JSP, JMS; 1Y (45284632403) =========================================================================================== Position: Software Architect Reference: SMC01139 Location: Austin TX Duration: 1Y Skills: BS degree in Computer Science (graduate degree preferred). Verifiable record of developing and delivering quality internet- based scalable software on time, on budget, and in compliance with customer requirements. Expert knowledge of a...