EJB 3.0 simplifies enterprise bean types

"EJB 3.0  simplifies   enterprise bean types"

what is the *possible*  meaning to this wording ? There is not much
relevant context I can give here.

Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
is some more meaning attached to this ?

comments please.
0
gk
10/8/2010 4:32:18 AM
comp.lang.java.programmer 52271 articles. 40 followers. Post Follow

6 Replies
209 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44
On 08-10-2010 00:32, gk wrote:
> "EJB 3.0  simplifies   enterprise bean types"
>
> what is the *possible*  meaning to this wording ? There is not much
> relevant context I can give here.
>
> Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
> is some more meaning attached to this ?

It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
* annotations instead of XML
* simpler model for interfaces and implementation class

In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
but ...

Arne
0
ISO
10/8/2010 8:50:04 PM
On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 08-10-2010 00:32, gk wrote:
>> "EJB 3.0 simplifies enterprise bean types"
>>
>> what is the *possible* meaning to this wording ? There is not much
>> relevant context I can give here.
>>
>> Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
>> is some more meaning attached to this ?

That is what it means, from a programmer's perspective.  It also means that 
there's a lot less boilerplate code in your EJBs.

It doesn't mean that EJBs are now automatically the right thing to use in any 
particular application.

> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
> * annotations instead of XML
> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>
> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
> but ...

The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope.  The coding model is 
much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between EJBs and the 
interfaces they implement.  Deployment is not simplified.

-- 
Lew
0
Lew
10/8/2010 10:22:25 PM
On 08-10-2010 18:22, Lew wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
>> * annotations instead of XML
>> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>>
>> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
>> but ...
>
> The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope. The coding
> model is much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between
> EJBs and the interfaces they implement. Deployment is not simplified.

It is simpler, but how much does it really impact the big picture.
I would be surprised if that simplification reduced development
hours with more than 0.5%.

Arne

0
UTF
10/11/2010 9:11:52 PM
Arne Vajh�j wrote:
> On 08-10-2010 18:22, Lew wrote:
>> On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>>> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
>>> * annotations instead of XML
>>> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>>>
>>> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
>>> but ...
>>
>> The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope. The coding
>> model is much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between
>> EJBs and the interfaces they implement. Deployment is not simplified.
>
> It is simpler, but how much does it really impact the big picture.
> I would be surprised if that simplification reduced development
> hours with more than 0.5%.
>
> Arne

Depends on the size and composition of the project, but you won't be far 
off. Thing is too, even with EJB 1.x once you figured out the techniques for 
one class of beans - CMP entity beans, BMP entity beans, SFSBs, SLSBs, how 
to set them up and code them and call them - it was all boilerplate after, 
and didn't add that much to the effort. For any project that has hundreds 
(or more) EJBs of various types I don't suppose the simplifications matter 
all that much. I'll agree with Lew that the coding model is indisputably 
cleaner, but I doubt we're saving much time because of it.

AHS
-- 
The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the
latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has
not been caught. -- H.L. Mencken 


0
Arved
10/11/2010 9:36:11 PM
Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> Depends on the size and composition of the project, but you won't be far
> off. Thing is too, even with EJB 1.x once you figured out the techniques for
> one class of beans - CMP entity beans, BMP entity beans, SFSBs, SLSBs, how
> to set them up and code them and call them - it was all boilerplate after,
> and didn't add that much to the effort. For any project that has hundreds
> (or more) EJBs of various types I don't suppose the simplifications matter
> all that much. I'll agree with Lew that the coding model is indisputably
> cleaner, but I doubt we're saving much time because of it.

It's been bugging me since EJBs came out - when is it worthwhile to use 'em?

Many developers I knew were gun-shy of EJBs, having used them.  I've used them 
on jobs - unwieldy sometimes, but always a few folks in the shop understand 
them well.  Heck, I've written and debugged them, too, but the rationale for 
their existence never seemed much beyond, "The architect said to put 'em 
here."  Excuse me, "The Architect said ..."

One alternative is POJOs; repeat for each web app.  It's not too hard to write 
the same component many times (copy-and-paste helps, natch).  True, there are 
fragilities in the build-from-common-skeleton approach.  Are they worse than 
the difficulties with EJBs?  Holistically, you must consider both coding and 
operational effort.

Maybe it's the way people used them that's soured me.  Maybe I just haven't 
seen well-rationalized EJBs in practice.

I'm playing with Glassfish now, and portal, seeking the Renaissance ideal of 
rapid development AND deployment.  Facility with the tools should yield 
insight into their proper niche.

One place I see the call for EJBs is Transaction World.  and the work world 
abounds with demands for multiple access points to common application 
services.  (Example: Separate GUI, custom XML and SOAP web service endpoint 
access to an online shopping site.)

The mentality of the "new" EJB appeals to the way I think.  Instead of 
thinking about "Home" and "Remote" interfaces and keeping them straight from 
the Java keyword sense, I'm thinking about business logic and message flow 
with hooks into the enterprise framework.  It's more like aspect-oriented 
programming - the EJB-ness offers hatchways into shared context.

It is possible to deploy EJBs now, and JPA stuff, with relatively light 
reliance on orthogonal XML deployment descriptors.  Too many deployment 
environments I've seen have put the "ugh" in "spaghetti".  At least with the 
3.0 way that is not required.

What is the true power of EJBs?
What is the right way to use them?

-- 
Lew
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
- Crowther and Woods
0
Lew
10/12/2010 3:14:26 AM
On 11-10-2010 23:14, Lew wrote:
> It's been bugging me since EJBs came out - when is it worthwhile to use
> 'em?
>
> Many developers I knew were gun-shy of EJBs, having used them. I've used
> them on jobs - unwieldy sometimes, but always a few folks in the shop
> understand them well. Heck, I've written and debugged them, too, but the
> rationale for their existence never seemed much beyond, "The architect
> said to put 'em here." Excuse me, "The Architect said ..."
>
> One alternative is POJOs; repeat for each web app. It's not too hard to
> write the same component many times (copy-and-paste helps, natch). True,
> there are fragilities in the build-from-common-skeleton approach. Are
> they worse than the difficulties with EJBs? Holistically, you must
> consider both coding and operational effort.
>
> Maybe it's the way people used them that's soured me. Maybe I just
> haven't seen well-rationalized EJBs in practice.

> One place I see the call for EJBs is Transaction World. and the work
> world abounds with demands for multiple access points to common
> application services. (Example: Separate GUI, custom XML and SOAP web
> service endpoint access to an online shopping site.)
>
> The mentality of the "new" EJB appeals to the way I think. Instead of
> thinking about "Home" and "Remote" interfaces and keeping them straight
> from the Java keyword sense, I'm thinking about business logic and
> message flow with hooks into the enterprise framework. It's more like
> aspect-oriented programming - the EJB-ness offers hatchways into shared
> context.

> What is the true power of EJBs?
> What is the right way to use them?

If you have some business logic where you can use one or more of:
- container managed transactions
- container managed thread pool
- container managed security
- strong rules about what Java features are not allowed
then using EJB's is simpler than creating custom solutions
achieving the same.

SLSB's and MDB's are quite nice. And even SFSB's can be useful.

(EB's were a great solution for a non-existing problem)

10 years ago they looked very complex, but today they look very simple.

A little bit because EJB 3.x simplified some things and a lot because
other frameworks has become much more complex.

 > It is possible to deploy EJBs now, and JPA stuff, with relatively light
 > reliance on orthogonal XML deployment descriptors. Too many deployment
 > environments I've seen have put the "ugh" in "spaghetti". At least with
 > the 3.0 way that is not required.

I have never seen the big benefits of having deployment information
spread out in dozens of source files instead of a central deployment
descriptor.

Arne
0
UTF
10/13/2010 12:12:44 AM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

Sybase 11.0.3 - QRL Filter
I am trying to add a "system" onto a repository using a 3rd party tool. Whenever I do this, I get "I/O while writing to QRL filter temporary file - no space left on device" I have tried to do a google search and it yields nothing. Sybase installation is on Solaris 8 - any suggestions? Geezer From Freezer <Geezer@Freezer.com> wrote in message news:<40449F84.787BEDC@Freezer.com>... > I am trying to add a "system" onto a repository using a 3rd party tool. > Whenever I do this, I get > "I/O while writing to QRL filter temporary...

Type mismatch error
What is the meaning for the error expression syntax and type mismatch error.I am using turbo c++.can anybody correct the errors in the folowing program. Following program is to find matrix addition. Thanks in advance. #include<stdio.h> int rows,cols,a[3][3],b[3][3]; void main() { int mat_add[3][3],i,j; int enter(void); int getting_mat_1(int a[][3]); int getting_mat_2(int b[][3]); enter(); getting_mat_1(a[][3]); /*line 10 expression syntax*/ getting_mat_2(b[][3]); /*line 11 same as above*/ for(i=0;i<rows;i++) for(j=0;j<cols;j++) mat_add[i][j]=a[i][j]+b[i][j]; for(i=0;i&...

[gnu.bash.bug] BASH Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ version 3.36) #2 #3
Archive-name: unix-faq/shell/bash Posting-Frequency: monthly Submitted-By: chet@po.cwru.edu (Chet Ramey) Last-Modified: Fri May 11 16:18:55 EDT 2007 FAQ-Version: 3.36 Bash-Version: 3.2 URL: ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/FAQ Maintainer: chet@po.cwru.edu (Chet Ramey) This is the Bash FAQ, version 3.36, for Bash version 3.2. This document contains a set of frequently-asked questions concerning Bash, the GNU Bourne-Again Shell. Bash is a freely-available command interpreter with advanced features for both interactive use and shell programming. Another good source of basic information about shell...

ANN: Magic CD/DVD Burner (ActiveX)
Magic CD/DVD Burner (ActiveX) - ActiveX based Data CD/DVD writing solution for Developers. Magic CD/DVD Burner is developed to fulfill the requirement of Data CD/DVD burning needs. The latest technologies are used to get the maximum output and to meet the future needs. Magic CD/DVD Burner Includes all the features required by the developers in such software plus more, offering the reliability, stability and ease of use in affordable price. For getting complete features details, please visit: http://www.binarymagics.com Salient Features: * Add Full Featured Data CD/DVD recordi...

[News] New Version of Googlised GNU/Linux (Rocket gOS 2.0) Coming Shortly
gOS 2.0 "Rocket" To Blast Off Next Week ,----[ Quote ] | We've just been notified that gOS 2.0 will be released next week at the 2008 | Consumer Electronic Show. This Linux distribution started making news two | months ago as the conceptual Google Operating System and shipping on a | sub-$200 (USD) Everex PC. This distribution is very easy to use and features | integration with popular Web 2.0 services such as YouTube, Google Calendar, | and Google Maps. This next gOS release, codenamed "Rocket", adds a few | features and more Google love. Accompanying this relea...

Re: Flash Drives Make any Computer Personal #3
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:27:32 -0700,Telecom Digest Editor wrote: > I had to run a driver disk with the Win 2000 also on the 'flash > device' and also on the Win 98 as well. They sure do want people to > buy newer computers, don't they? PAT] Let's have a little reality check here. Windows 95 which you used on one of your systems. That's *10* years ago! Windows 2000. That's *5* years ago. Time marches on. That's part of the reason Mac OSX works as well as it does. They don't *have* to have absolute compatibility with OS's that are m...

Unique function #3
For example: a = [content1] [content 2] [ ] [ ] [content 3] [content 4 ] content is actually a matrix --> [1;1] I want to pass the content from column 2 to Equ. Equ = x*[content2] + y*[content3] As there are only 2 variables(x and y), only column 2 meets the requirement. My idea is to let z = unique(a,'columns'), after which pass the content from column 2 to the equation, but there is an error. Please advise. Thanks. Hello, I can actually pass the content to the Equ by using [x*a{1,2} + y*a{2,2}]. Whenever I change the data, I need to change the content addre...

reusing EJB
hi, i have an existing EJB jar that performs about 90% of the tasks that i need, and the other 10% is to perform related tasks but was not present in the original EJB jar. i wanted to reuse the original EJB and possibly extend some of its classes to accomplish the 10%. but how do i structure my new EJB jar such that I don't need to copy the codes from the original EJB jar to my new EJB jar? my idea is to just include the original EJB jar to a library folder or something. i have no problem with copying the ejb-jar.xml from the original to the new EJB jar, just not the codes. ...

DEC-style STRUCTUREs vs. derived types in a Fortran 95 compiler
Hi, Does anyone have a reference to a reasonably complete description of the STRUCTURE/RECORD extension that many Fortran 77 compilers implemented? I'm curious about what can appear syntactically and what it means. A few that I have found so far are: http://absoft.com/Products/Compilers/Fortran/Linux/IA32/f90.ext.html#f90.dec http://www.nikhef.nl/~templon/fortran/absoft_notes_2.html http://docs.hp.com/en/B3908-90002/ch10s86.html The latter of the three seems OK, but it's not very formal and I'd like to know if there are ugly corner cases to be aware of. (Funny note about the se...

Compiling 3.0.1 on Solaris 8 with SUN compiler
Has anyone been successful at building Samba 3.0.1 for Solaris 8 with the Sun compiler (I think 7.0; not the latest third party fancy compiler). Do I need to use the compiler that is default /usr/ucb/cc? I get problems with compiling some fo the final utilities. I used the following flags: ../configure --with-pam --with-winbind --with-ldapsam --with-winbind-auth-challenge Came from someone on this list who was successful with 2.2.7a. Most of the system builds: libraries, smbd, mnbd ... The last error message is as fillows: Linking bin/wbinfo Compiling nsswitch/wb_common.c...

SCSI performance 29160N + IC35L036UWDY10-0
Running the diskio utility on the same hardware platform with W2K and eCS1.1 produces the following results for the above SCSI card/hard disk combination: Results from WIN2K: Hard disk 3: 255 sides, 4462 cylinders, 63 sectors per track = 35000 MB Drive cache/bus transfer rate: 32243 k/sec Data transfer rate on cylinder 0 : 34552 k/sec Data transfer rate on cylinder 4460: 33708 k/sec CPU usage by full speed disk transfers: 1% Average data access time: 5.5 ms Multithreaded disk I/O (4 threads): 10011 k/sec, 0% CPU usage Results from eCS1.1: Hard disk 3: 255 sides, 4462 cylinder...

Slowww AIX 4.3
I'm running Aix 4.3 on a decently quick 43P-140 332mhz workstation. After logging in, it takes at least 2-3 minutes for the desktop to appear, and then a huge lag after launching applications, etc. Its driving me crazy and its hard to use the computer. Any suggestions? I've tried reinstalling many times with no luck. Thanks, Matt Matt wrote: > I'm running Aix 4.3 on a decently quick 43P-140 332mhz workstation. After > logging in, it takes at least 2-3 minutes for the desktop to appear, and > then a huge lag after launching applications, etc. Its driving me ...

Convolution #3
I have to carry out the following exercise: "You are driving down the motorway at 120mph in your new porsche when you see a police car parked in a lay-by ahead. To slow down and avoid a speeding fine, you pump the brake pedal in regular pulses, thus minimising overheating in the brake system, and any visual impression that the car is slowing down. To represent the braking input, set up an array x(t) to contain a rectangular pulses train with a mark space ratio of 1:3 (distance between pulses is three times the length of a pulse). Ensure the array contains at least 5 pulses, an...

Re: Quesition to use hash object #3
Creating a hash index for a dataset requires a scan of that dataset and an allocation of memory sufficient to hold values being indexed in an associative array. Creating a hash index for a dataset of 5,000 obs should take very little time and require a very modest allocation of memory. A hash index look-up operation also requires a scan of a dataset, but relatively little extra time for the look-up. Since scanning and indexing takes longer than scanning alone, it almost always works better to index the small dataset and look up values in the large dataset. That way you will also minimize the ...

Packaging and distribution of EJBs
*** This was first posted in c.l.j.beans, but received no responses *** Hello everyone, I am working on an EJB-based commercial product. When done, it will be deployable on a number of application servers that use different XML descriptor files, with different content. Initially, these will be JBoss, WebLogic and Sun ONE AS v8. I am pondering two different ways of distributing the product: 1. with a wizard-like GUI-based utility that will format the required XML files based on the user's input, build the EAR file from the preexisting components + the newly formatted XML files, and depl...

xlabel #3
whenever i try to label the x-axis with "xlabel", MATLAB gives error saying "Index exceeds matrix dimensions". Plz help. "Kabir Hassan Biswas" <sohailkabir@mbu.iisc.ernet.in> wrote in message news:ef4fe63.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > whenever i try to label the x-axis with "xlabel", MATLAB gives error > saying "Index exceeds matrix dimensions". > Plz help. You most likely have a variable named xlabel in your workspace. That variable will shadow the XLABEL function. Remove or rename this variable. -- Steve Lord slord@m...

[ANN] Python-OpenID 1.0
It is with great pleasure that JanRain, Inc. announces version 1.0 of the Python OpenID library. This library contains packages to support both OpenID consumers (relying parties) and servers. For back-end storage, it supports a variety of methods, including flat file, SQL, and MemCached. In our own work on making applications OpenID enabled, we've been reminded that every web framework is different. For that reason we've strived to make this library general enough to fit in to any Python web application. We also like to think the API is simple to follow. Let us know how it works ...

128D case on eBay for $0.01, no reserve!
You may get it for $0.01! Would be great for a hobby project! Put a PC in there! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180225326624 ...

Changing TZ in AIX 3.2.5?
Hi -- Can anyone tell me where to change the TZ information for AIX 3.2.5? All I see in /etc/environment is "TZ=EST5EDT". Where is the file that dictates when EST becomes EDT and vice-versa? Thanks, CL :wq On Mar 6, 3:39 pm, "Charles Lavin" <x...@x.x> wrote: > Hi -- > > Can anyone tell me where to change the TZ information for AIX 3.2.5? All I > see in /etc/environment is "TZ=EST5EDT". Where is the file that dictates > when EST becomes EDT and vice-versa? > > Thanks, > CL > > :wq Don't have ANY clue whatsoever if t...

ntop 3.2 on OpenBSD 3.8 /3.9 ?
Hi, I did some search on google but I didn't find any really helpful info. Is it possible to compile and run - or -did someone successfully run ntop 3.x on OpenBSD 3.8/3.9 ? Kind regards Stefan Stefan Sczekalla-Waldschmidt <stefan.sczekalla@gmx.de> wrote: > Hi, > > I did some search on google but I didn't find any really helpful info. > > Is it possible to compile and run - or -did someone successfully run ntop > 3.x on OpenBSD 3.8/3.9 ? While I do not know the answer, one pointer: the libpcap library has been much extended in 3.9...

Any change to significance of order in "masters" in 9.3?
I am getting some slightly strange error messages from BIND which I don't know whether to attribute to the remote site or not. They would be partly explained if BIND 9.3.2 picked an element at random in the "masters" list for a slave zone, rather than trying them in the order they appear iin the config file (as I am sure BIND 9.2.5 did). Is that the case? (I'm clutching at straws a bit here.) -- Chris Thompson Email: cet1@cam.ac.uk ...

Duplicate File Detective 2.1.1.0
Powerful, professional grade duplicate file management solution. Features include a muti-threaded file system scanning engine, flexible scan-time filtering, multiple local and network file system paths (scanned in a single pass), new project wizard, Smart Marking selection technology, multi-format export (including HTML, CSV, & XML), command line support, and much more. More Info: http://www.duplicate-file-detective.com/ Download URL: http://www.duplicate-file-detective.com/download-duplicate-file-software/DFD2-Setup.exe Screenshot URL: http://www.duplicate-file-detective.com/ima...

Whats the point of EJBs?
I have been looking at EJBs for quite some time now and really am struggling to see what all the fuss is about as I cant seem to think of a killer reason for using them. Could someone please tell me a situation where an EJB would be miles better than a plane old Java bean? - Our EJBs would live on the same server as the servlets and so any distributed advantage is gone. - Managing transactions with JTA is easy - Method level security is handy, but hardly a killer reason. - (Ignore MDBs for the time being) Alternatives to EJBs... (Im sure a must be over simplifying this so please feel free ...

Re: OT: The Other Side of the Story #3
Thanks for the insight Wirt. I've never served in the military, but I developed deep opinions about the rank and file of the different military units; based on what my brother told me about his tour of duty in Nam. There were many LT's, and captains who were killed by not so 'friendly fire' because of what they put their units through; according to my brother. There is both good and bad in every walk of life, sad to say. Enjoy the holiday season, and thanks again. -----Original Message----- From: Wirt Atmar [mailto:WirtAtmar@aol.com] Sent: Friday, December 19,...

Re: MPEG player with sound for "depth 24" graphics? #3
From: peter@langstoeger.at (Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOEGER) > My MMOV$ALPHAVCR.EXE is from 31-MAR-2005 so you should upgrade to MMOV V2.2-1 > but I don't know if this solves your problem ;-) No, but it did replace my customized SYS$STARTUP:MMOV$SHUTDOWN.COM and SYS$STARTUP:MMOV$STARTUP.COM with 31-MAR-2005 ones which have all the problems of the older ones. At least this time I was better prepared when I discovered that shutting down one cluster member whacked the MMOV server process on a different cluster member. --------------------------------------------------------...