EJB 3.0 simplifies enterprise bean types

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

"EJB 3.0  simplifies   enterprise bean types"

what is the *possible*  meaning to this wording ? There is not much
relevant context I can give here.

Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
is some more meaning attached to this ?

comments please.
0
Reply gk 10/8/2010 4:32:18 AM

See related articles to this posting

On 08-10-2010 00:32, gk wrote:
> "EJB 3.0  simplifies   enterprise bean types"
>
> what is the *possible*  meaning to this wording ? There is not much
> relevant context I can give here.
>
> Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
> is some more meaning attached to this ?

It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
* annotations instead of XML
* simpler model for interfaces and implementation class

In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
but ...

Arne
0
Reply ISO 10/8/2010 8:50:04 PM

On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 08-10-2010 00:32, gk wrote:
>> "EJB 3.0 simplifies enterprise bean types"
>>
>> what is the *possible* meaning to this wording ? There is not much
>> relevant context I can give here.
>>
>> Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
>> is some more meaning attached to this ?

That is what it means, from a programmer's perspective.  It also means that
there's a lot less boilerplate code in your EJBs.

It doesn't mean that EJBs are now automatically the right thing to use in any
particular application.

> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
> * annotations instead of XML
> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>
> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
> but ...

The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope.  The coding model is
much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between EJBs and the
interfaces they implement.  Deployment is not simplified.

--
Lew
0

On 08-10-2010 18:22, Lew wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
>> * annotations instead of XML
>> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>>
>> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
>> but ...
>
> The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope. The coding
> model is much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between
> EJBs and the interfaces they implement. Deployment is not simplified.

It is simpler, but how much does it really impact the big picture.
I would be surprised if that simplification reduced development
hours with more than 0.5%.

Arne

0
Reply UTF 10/11/2010 9:11:52 PM

Arne Vajh�j wrote:
> On 08-10-2010 18:22, Lew wrote:
>> On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>>> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
>>> * annotations instead of XML
>>> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>>>
>>> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
>>> but ...
>>
>> The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope. The coding
>> model is much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between
>> EJBs and the interfaces they implement. Deployment is not simplified.
>
> It is simpler, but how much does it really impact the big picture.
> I would be surprised if that simplification reduced development
> hours with more than 0.5%.
>
> Arne

Depends on the size and composition of the project, but you won't be far
off. Thing is too, even with EJB 1.x once you figured out the techniques for
one class of beans - CMP entity beans, BMP entity beans, SFSBs, SLSBs, how
to set them up and code them and call them - it was all boilerplate after,
and didn't add that much to the effort. For any project that has hundreds
(or more) EJBs of various types I don't suppose the simplifications matter
all that much. I'll agree with Lew that the coding model is indisputably
cleaner, but I doubt we're saving much time because of it.

AHS
--
The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the
latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has

0
Reply Arved 10/11/2010 9:36:11 PM

Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> Depends on the size and composition of the project, but you won't be far
> off. Thing is too, even with EJB 1.x once you figured out the techniques for
> one class of beans - CMP entity beans, BMP entity beans, SFSBs, SLSBs, how
> to set them up and code them and call them - it was all boilerplate after,
> and didn't add that much to the effort. For any project that has hundreds
> (or more) EJBs of various types I don't suppose the simplifications matter
> all that much. I'll agree with Lew that the coding model is indisputably
> cleaner, but I doubt we're saving much time because of it.

It's been bugging me since EJBs came out - when is it worthwhile to use 'em?

Many developers I knew were gun-shy of EJBs, having used them.  I've used them
on jobs - unwieldy sometimes, but always a few folks in the shop understand
them well.  Heck, I've written and debugged them, too, but the rationale for
their existence never seemed much beyond, "The architect said to put 'em
here."  Excuse me, "The Architect said ..."

One alternative is POJOs; repeat for each web app.  It's not too hard to write
the same component many times (copy-and-paste helps, natch).  True, there are
fragilities in the build-from-common-skeleton approach.  Are they worse than
the difficulties with EJBs?  Holistically, you must consider both coding and
operational effort.

Maybe it's the way people used them that's soured me.  Maybe I just haven't
seen well-rationalized EJBs in practice.

I'm playing with Glassfish now, and portal, seeking the Renaissance ideal of
rapid development AND deployment.  Facility with the tools should yield
insight into their proper niche.

One place I see the call for EJBs is Transaction World.  and the work world
abounds with demands for multiple access points to common application
services.  (Example: Separate GUI, custom XML and SOAP web service endpoint
access to an online shopping site.)

The mentality of the "new" EJB appeals to the way I think.  Instead of
thinking about "Home" and "Remote" interfaces and keeping them straight from
the Java keyword sense, I'm thinking about business logic and message flow
with hooks into the enterprise framework.  It's more like aspect-oriented
programming - the EJB-ness offers hatchways into shared context.

It is possible to deploy EJBs now, and JPA stuff, with relatively light
reliance on orthogonal XML deployment descriptors.  Too many deployment
environments I've seen have put the "ugh" in "spaghetti".  At least with the
3.0 way that is not required.

What is the true power of EJBs?
What is the right way to use them?

--
Lew
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

On 11-10-2010 23:14, Lew wrote:
> It's been bugging me since EJBs came out - when is it worthwhile to use
> 'em?
>
> Many developers I knew were gun-shy of EJBs, having used them. I've used
> them on jobs - unwieldy sometimes, but always a few folks in the shop
> understand them well. Heck, I've written and debugged them, too, but the
> rationale for their existence never seemed much beyond, "The architect
> said to put 'em here." Excuse me, "The Architect said ..."
>
> One alternative is POJOs; repeat for each web app. It's not too hard to
> write the same component many times (copy-and-paste helps, natch). True,
> there are fragilities in the build-from-common-skeleton approach. Are
> they worse than the difficulties with EJBs? Holistically, you must
> consider both coding and operational effort.
>
> Maybe it's the way people used them that's soured me. Maybe I just
> haven't seen well-rationalized EJBs in practice.

> One place I see the call for EJBs is Transaction World. and the work
> world abounds with demands for multiple access points to common
> application services. (Example: Separate GUI, custom XML and SOAP web
> service endpoint access to an online shopping site.)
>
> The mentality of the "new" EJB appeals to the way I think. Instead of
> thinking about "Home" and "Remote" interfaces and keeping them straight
> from the Java keyword sense, I'm thinking about business logic and
> message flow with hooks into the enterprise framework. It's more like
> aspect-oriented programming - the EJB-ness offers hatchways into shared
> context.

> What is the true power of EJBs?
> What is the right way to use them?

If you have some business logic where you can use one or more of:
- container managed transactions
- container managed thread pool
- container managed security
- strong rules about what Java features are not allowed
then using EJB's is simpler than creating custom solutions
achieving the same.

SLSB's and MDB's are quite nice. And even SFSB's can be useful.

(EB's were a great solution for a non-existing problem)

10 years ago they looked very complex, but today they look very simple.

A little bit because EJB 3.x simplified some things and a lot because
other frameworks has become much more complex.

 > It is possible to deploy EJBs now, and JPA stuff, with relatively light
 > reliance on orthogonal XML deployment descriptors. Too many deployment
 > environments I've seen have put the "ugh" in "spaghetti". At least with
 > the 3.0 way that is not required.

I have never seen the big benefits of having deployment information
spread out in dozens of source files instead of a central deployment
descriptor.

Arne
0
Reply UTF 10/13/2010 12:12:44 AM
comp.lang.java.programmer 51883 articles. 38 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

JBoss 4.0.4 Entity Bean using EJB 3.0 w/ Sybase 12.5
Hey Guys, I'm trying to run a simple example on JBoss 4.0.4 using EJB 3.0 w/ Sybase 12.5: Here's the error I'm getting while deploying the EJB: ---------------------- Start: error trace ---------------------- 14:14:45,648 INFO [SettingsFactory] JDBC driver: jConnect (TM) for JDBC (TM), version: jConnect (TM) for JDBC(TM)/6.05( Build 25828)/P/EBF13044/JDK14/Fri Sep 30 1:05:16 2005 14:14:45,658 WARN [ServiceController] Problem starting service persistence.units:ear=pun-enterprise.ear,jar=enterprise- ejb.jar,unitName=punSybaseDB org.hibernate.HibernateException: Hibernate Dialect...

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs]
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, On 29 Nov 2003 04:26:12 -0800, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr (TEL) wrote: > Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot .... what??? is 'Red Hot' [sic] a new distro? .. -- /// Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver, \\\ \\\ and author: "...

[...]

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, TEL <tel4@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote: > Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat > Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - > new ! > If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up ...

[...]

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, ########################################################################## # Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: cola@stump.algebra.com # # PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION. # # This group is archive...

[...]

Update 7 for Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.0 is Available as Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.14
18. Mar. 2006 Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.140 adds Update 7 compiled from the source packages from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/3AS/en/os/SRPMS Release notes can be found at http://www.lineox.net/RELEASE-NOTES-U7-i386-en.html (x86 architecture) and http://www.lineox.net/RELEASE-NOTES-U7-x86_64-en.html (AMD 64-bit x86_64 architecture). In the 3.140 version the installation environment is rebuilt, so it offers better hardware support during the installation. Note however that booting from a floppy is no longer supported in x86 version. The ...

Update 5 for Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.0 is Available as Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.092
Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.092 with Update 5 Available 20. May 2005 Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.092 adds Update 5 compiled from the source packages from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/3AS/en/os/SRPMS Release notes can be found at http://www.lineox.net/RELEASE-NOTES-U5-i386-en.html (x86 architecture) and http://www.lineox.net/RELEASE-NOTES-U5-x86_64-en.html (AMD 64-bit x86_64 architecture). In the version 3.092 the installation environment is rebuilt, so it offers better hardware support during the installation. New featur...

Re: SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0
Hans, You're welcome. One of the common uses of %DISPLAY or DISPLAY (in data step) is to request parameters from the user at run time. So now you have me thinking about it. Does anyone know how this can be done in EG, short of opening a particular transformation and changing its properties? thanks, Clint -----Original Message----- From: Hans Schneider [mailto:hschneider@cmedresearch.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:36 AM To: Rickards, Clinton (GE Consumer Finance); SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0 - error regards macro windowing Dear Clint,...

1.3.4 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0
Has anyone installed krb5-1.3.4 RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 or upgraded the base RedHat Kerberos install. I am looking for some guidance on the procedure. I seem to be getting various errors when trying to compile the source. Any info that you might be able to give would be helpful. Thanks Rob McShinsky Windows Server Administration Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center Rob.McShinsky@Hitchcock.org ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos ...

Re: Upgrading Enterprise Guilde 2.0 to 4.0 #3
> From: Allan Page > I guess I didn't define my original question well enough. > What I'm trying to find out is how to upgrade the EG2.0 > projects to EG4.0. Installing the software is not the > problem, it's what we do after the install that I'm concerned about. take a seat while I try to break it to you gently: you are SOL: Slightly Older and Leaner. Unfortunately I do not think, from what I remember hearing over the years at SUGs, that EG projects are backward-compatible nor -looking. I have had users tell me they were sticking with older versions because...

Re: Enterprise Guide 3.0 equivalent of autoexec to run a LIBNAME #3
all, the autoexec.SAS file could be create on the server and then executed by SEG. create the autoexec.sas go the SEG administrator > server's properties into, see the 'Options' part and the field that I approximativle translate by 'instruction at SAS startup'. here, write : %inc '....\autoexec.sas' where ... is the path. after, test the connexion in the 'test' part of the server properties. -- St�phane. http://www.datametric.fr Selon "Rickards, Clinton \\(GE Consumer Finance\\)" <clinton.rickards@GE.COM>: > Bob, > > Try ...

Role based access control for EJB Methods (EJB 3.0)
hi, I'm fairly new to EJB and java security, and I'm bumping my head against the wall trying to understand what the right way to do what I want. My questions are these: 1. Is JAAS the right thing for specifying roles required for executing an EJB method? if so how do I define for example, that the method foo() on the bean A requires an admin role?, how is the permission checked? I was under the impression that the check is done by creating a new EJBMethodPermission and calling the SecurityManager.checkPermission with it, but I may be confused. 2. If the standard role ba...

SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0
Dear all, I got an error message while parsing a macro from my enterprise guide on windows to my SAS-Linux server: ERROR: The MACRO windowing environment cannot be initialized due to a XU supervisor failure. Does someone have an idea, what it means? Cheers, Hans Hans, I am relatively new to EG but my understanding is that, as an over-simplication, it is a big code generator which submits the generated program to run on the server with noterminal (i.e. as a "batch" job). In that case, things like %DISPLAY won't run because there is no "terminal" to display the win...

Re: SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0
Hans, I am relatively new to EG but my understanding is that, as an over-simplication, it is a big code generator which submits the generated program to run on the server with noterminal (i.e. as a "batch" job). In that case, things like %DISPLAY won't run because there is no "terminal" to display the window in. Clint -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Hans S Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:10 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0 - error regards macro windowing Dear all...

How to create .ear file in Eclipse 3.1.0 (Lomboz 1.0) from Enterprise Application Project?
I'm just trying to package a project in an EAR, I create the project, select the J2EE modules to package and the project builds fine. application.xml builds in META-INF and my war, jars populate in Modules and Untility JARs. For the life of me, I cannot get it to deploy to JBoss4 within Lomboz (tells me that the module is incompatible, whatever that means) or even create the EAR so I can deploy it manually. Any advice is needed please!! ...

l10n-simplified-0.9 died in Ruby 1.9.1 / Rails 2.3.3
As lot of people, I suposse, I'm trying to move my Rails 2.1.2 app to the newer versions of Ruby and Rails. And my first serious trouble is that l10n-simplified-0.9 doesn't work, and there isn't a newer version. That's important for me, because my application is Spanish!! ¿Someone has a solution for this? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Fernando Calatayud wrote: > As lot of people, I suposse, I'm trying to move my Rails 2.1.2 app to > the newer versions of Ruby and Rails. And my first serious trouble is > that l10n-simplified-0.9 doesn't work...

Re: SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0
Dear Clint, Thanks a lot. A very useful hint. If our setup allows only batch jobs, that would explain something. Cheers, Hans -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Rickards, Clinton (GE Consumer Finance) Sent: 24 May 2006 14:21 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0 - error regards macro windowing Hans, I am relatively new to EG but my understanding is that, as an over-simplication, it is a big code generator which submits the generated program to run on the server with noterminal (i.e. as a &q...