EJB 3.0 simplifies enterprise bean types

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

"EJB 3.0  simplifies   enterprise bean types"

what is the *possible*  meaning to this wording ? There is not much
relevant context I can give here.

Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
is some more meaning attached to this ?

comments please.
0
Reply gk 10/8/2010 4:32:18 AM

See related articles to this posting

On 08-10-2010 00:32, gk wrote:
> "EJB 3.0  simplifies   enterprise bean types"
>
> what is the *possible*  meaning to this wording ? There is not much
> relevant context I can give here.
>
> Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
> is some more meaning attached to this ?

It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
* annotations instead of XML
* simpler model for interfaces and implementation class

In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
but ...

Arne
0
Reply ISO 10/8/2010 8:50:04 PM

On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 08-10-2010 00:32, gk wrote:
>> "EJB 3.0 simplifies enterprise bean types"
>>
>> what is the *possible* meaning to this wording ? There is not much
>> relevant context I can give here.
>>
>> Does that mean it does not have remote and home interface ? or there
>> is some more meaning attached to this ?

That is what it means, from a programmer's perspective.  It also means that
there's a lot less boilerplate code in your EJBs.

It doesn't mean that EJBs are now automatically the right thing to use in any
particular application.

> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
> * annotations instead of XML
> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>
> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
> but ...

The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope.  The coding model is
much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between EJBs and the
interfaces they implement.  Deployment is not simplified.

--
Lew
0

On 08-10-2010 18:22, Lew wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
>> * annotations instead of XML
>> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>>
>> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
>> but ...
>
> The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope. The coding
> model is much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between
> EJBs and the interfaces they implement. Deployment is not simplified.

It is simpler, but how much does it really impact the big picture.
I would be surprised if that simplification reduced development
hours with more than 0.5%.

Arne

0
Reply UTF 10/11/2010 9:11:52 PM

Arne Vajh�j wrote:
> On 08-10-2010 18:22, Lew wrote:
>> On 10/08/2010 04:50 PM, Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>>> It is a very imprecise statement, but I am guessing that they mean:
>>> * annotations instead of XML
>>> * simpler model for interfaces and implementation class
>>>
>>> In my opinion the "simplification" is 80% hype and 20% reality,
>>> but ...
>>
>> The simplification is plenty real, just limited in scope. The coding
>> model is much simpler, and eliminates the crazy disconnection between
>> EJBs and the interfaces they implement. Deployment is not simplified.
>
> It is simpler, but how much does it really impact the big picture.
> I would be surprised if that simplification reduced development
> hours with more than 0.5%.
>
> Arne

Depends on the size and composition of the project, but you won't be far
off. Thing is too, even with EJB 1.x once you figured out the techniques for
one class of beans - CMP entity beans, BMP entity beans, SFSBs, SLSBs, how
to set them up and code them and call them - it was all boilerplate after,
and didn't add that much to the effort. For any project that has hundreds
(or more) EJBs of various types I don't suppose the simplifications matter
all that much. I'll agree with Lew that the coding model is indisputably
cleaner, but I doubt we're saving much time because of it.

AHS
--
The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the
latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has

0
Reply Arved 10/11/2010 9:36:11 PM

Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> Depends on the size and composition of the project, but you won't be far
> off. Thing is too, even with EJB 1.x once you figured out the techniques for
> one class of beans - CMP entity beans, BMP entity beans, SFSBs, SLSBs, how
> to set them up and code them and call them - it was all boilerplate after,
> and didn't add that much to the effort. For any project that has hundreds
> (or more) EJBs of various types I don't suppose the simplifications matter
> all that much. I'll agree with Lew that the coding model is indisputably
> cleaner, but I doubt we're saving much time because of it.

It's been bugging me since EJBs came out - when is it worthwhile to use 'em?

Many developers I knew were gun-shy of EJBs, having used them.  I've used them
on jobs - unwieldy sometimes, but always a few folks in the shop understand
them well.  Heck, I've written and debugged them, too, but the rationale for
their existence never seemed much beyond, "The architect said to put 'em
here."  Excuse me, "The Architect said ..."

One alternative is POJOs; repeat for each web app.  It's not too hard to write
the same component many times (copy-and-paste helps, natch).  True, there are
fragilities in the build-from-common-skeleton approach.  Are they worse than
the difficulties with EJBs?  Holistically, you must consider both coding and
operational effort.

Maybe it's the way people used them that's soured me.  Maybe I just haven't
seen well-rationalized EJBs in practice.

I'm playing with Glassfish now, and portal, seeking the Renaissance ideal of
rapid development AND deployment.  Facility with the tools should yield
insight into their proper niche.

One place I see the call for EJBs is Transaction World.  and the work world
abounds with demands for multiple access points to common application
services.  (Example: Separate GUI, custom XML and SOAP web service endpoint
access to an online shopping site.)

The mentality of the "new" EJB appeals to the way I think.  Instead of
thinking about "Home" and "Remote" interfaces and keeping them straight from
the Java keyword sense, I'm thinking about business logic and message flow
with hooks into the enterprise framework.  It's more like aspect-oriented
programming - the EJB-ness offers hatchways into shared context.

It is possible to deploy EJBs now, and JPA stuff, with relatively light
reliance on orthogonal XML deployment descriptors.  Too many deployment
environments I've seen have put the "ugh" in "spaghetti".  At least with the
3.0 way that is not required.

What is the true power of EJBs?
What is the right way to use them?

--
Lew
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

On 11-10-2010 23:14, Lew wrote:
> It's been bugging me since EJBs came out - when is it worthwhile to use
> 'em?
>
> Many developers I knew were gun-shy of EJBs, having used them. I've used
> them on jobs - unwieldy sometimes, but always a few folks in the shop
> understand them well. Heck, I've written and debugged them, too, but the
> rationale for their existence never seemed much beyond, "The architect
> said to put 'em here." Excuse me, "The Architect said ..."
>
> One alternative is POJOs; repeat for each web app. It's not too hard to
> write the same component many times (copy-and-paste helps, natch). True,
> there are fragilities in the build-from-common-skeleton approach. Are
> they worse than the difficulties with EJBs? Holistically, you must
> consider both coding and operational effort.
>
> Maybe it's the way people used them that's soured me. Maybe I just
> haven't seen well-rationalized EJBs in practice.

> One place I see the call for EJBs is Transaction World. and the work
> world abounds with demands for multiple access points to common
> application services. (Example: Separate GUI, custom XML and SOAP web
> service endpoint access to an online shopping site.)
>
> The mentality of the "new" EJB appeals to the way I think. Instead of
> thinking about "Home" and "Remote" interfaces and keeping them straight
> from the Java keyword sense, I'm thinking about business logic and
> message flow with hooks into the enterprise framework. It's more like
> aspect-oriented programming - the EJB-ness offers hatchways into shared
> context.

> What is the true power of EJBs?
> What is the right way to use them?

If you have some business logic where you can use one or more of:
- container managed transactions
- container managed thread pool
- container managed security
- strong rules about what Java features are not allowed
then using EJB's is simpler than creating custom solutions
achieving the same.

SLSB's and MDB's are quite nice. And even SFSB's can be useful.

(EB's were a great solution for a non-existing problem)

10 years ago they looked very complex, but today they look very simple.

A little bit because EJB 3.x simplified some things and a lot because
other frameworks has become much more complex.

 > It is possible to deploy EJBs now, and JPA stuff, with relatively light
 > reliance on orthogonal XML deployment descriptors. Too many deployment
 > environments I've seen have put the "ugh" in "spaghetti". At least with
 > the 3.0 way that is not required.

I have never seen the big benefits of having deployment information
spread out in dozens of source files instead of a central deployment
descriptor.

Arne
0
Reply UTF 10/13/2010 12:12:44 AM
comp.lang.java.programmer 51970 articles. 38 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

JBoss 4.0.4 Entity Bean using EJB 3.0 w/ Sybase 12.5
Hey Guys, I'm trying to run a simple example on JBoss 4.0.4 using EJB 3.0 w/ Sybase 12.5: Here's the error I'm getting while deploying the EJB: ---------------------- Start: error trace ---------------------- 14:14:45,648 INFO [SettingsFactory] JDBC driver: jConnect (TM) for JDBC (TM), version: jConnect (TM) for JDBC(TM)/6.05( Build 25828)/P/EBF13044/JDK14/Fri Sep 30 1:05:16 2005 14:14:45,658 WARN [ServiceController] Problem starting service persistence.units:ear=pun-enterprise.ear,jar=enterprise- ejb.jar,unitName=punSybaseDB org.hibernate.HibernateException: Hibernate Dialect...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi   I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time  = 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0.   I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements?   Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wa...

Simplifying {0,0,0}.X.{0,0,0}
Hello, In brief: Is there a way that I can specify that "X" is a matrix and will resolve to zero when dot multiplied with a vector of zeros? I'm constructing a swathe of expressions that contain things like (when expanded): {0,0,0}.X.{0,0,0}, where X is an arbitrary (well, positive definite) square matrix of obvious size, and I'd like to be able to have mathematica simplify that for me without much intervention. My only option at the moment is to manually perform the replacements {{0, 0, 0}.X._ -> 0, _.X.{0, 0, 0} -> 0} (the left and right vectors won...

At 4.3.3.11 installing bos.adt.include 4.3.3.0 wants 4.3.0.0 !
I posted this before but the replies were not helpful so here goes again... I currently have AIX 4.3.3 ML 11 installed with no bos.adt.include fileset present. I want to install Visual Age 4 but it requires bos.adt.include 4.1.0.0 I tried to install a current version, 4.3.3.81 (I think), but it requires 4.3.3.0. I extracted 4.3.3.0 from IBM's Web site but it depends on 4.3.0.0 (which is not available). Is there some way out of this never-ending quest? Thanks, Jeffrey. > I posted this before but the replies were not helpful so here goes again... ??? > I extracted 4.3.3.0 from ...

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs]
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, On 29 Nov 2003 04:26:12 -0800, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr (TEL) wrote: > Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot .... what??? is 'Red Hot' [sic] a new distro? .. -- /// Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver, \\\ \\\ and author: "...

[...]

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, TEL <tel4@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote: > Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat > Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - > new ! > If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up ...

[...]

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, ########################################################################## # Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: cola@stump.algebra.com # # PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION. # # This group is archive...

[...]

Update 7 for Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.0 is Available as Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.14
18. Mar. 2006 Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.140 adds Update 7 compiled from the source packages from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/3AS/en/os/SRPMS Release notes can be found at http://www.lineox.net/RELEASE-NOTES-U7-i386-en.html (x86 architecture) and http://www.lineox.net/RELEASE-NOTES-U7-x86_64-en.html (AMD 64-bit x86_64 architecture). In the 3.140 version the installation environment is rebuilt, so it offers better hardware support during the installation. Note however that booting from a floppy is no longer supported in x86 version. The ...

Update 5 for Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.0 is Available as Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.092
Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.092 with Update 5 Available 20. May 2005 Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 3.092 adds Update 5 compiled from the source packages from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/3AS/en/os/SRPMS Release notes can be found at http://www.lineox.net/RELEASE-NOTES-U5-i386-en.html (x86 architecture) and http://www.lineox.net/RELEASE-NOTES-U5-x86_64-en.html (AMD 64-bit x86_64 architecture). In the version 3.092 the installation environment is rebuilt, so it offers better hardware support during the installation. New featur...

Re: Simplifying {0,0,0}.X.{0,0,0}
Hi Jens, and others, On Mar 7, 6:10 pm, Jens-Peer Kuska <k...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote: > Hi, > > X /: Dot[X, a : {0 ..}] := a > > will help. Ah! TagSet, I get it; very useful. Mathematica is rather amazing. Its syntax is more flexible than I can imagine, coming from another system & TeX. Thanks all, Will ...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3, gettext_rails-2.0.3
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.3 and the families (gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3 and gettext_rails-2.0.3) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- == gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3, gettext_rails-2.0.3 * Fixed dependencies [Reported by Hans de Graaff] (NOTE) * Rails-2.3.1 and earlier aren't supported. Website ------- ...

Re: SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0
Hans, You're welcome. One of the common uses of %DISPLAY or DISPLAY (in data step) is to request parameters from the user at run time. So now you have me thinking about it. Does anyone know how this can be done in EG, short of opening a particular transformation and changing its properties? thanks, Clint -----Original Message----- From: Hans Schneider [mailto:hschneider@cmedresearch.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:36 AM To: Rickards, Clinton (GE Consumer Finance); SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: SAS v9.1.3 + enterprise guide 3.0 - error regards macro windowing Dear Clint,...

BotDetect 3 ASP CAPTCHA 3.0.0.0
BotDetect 3 ASP CAPTCHA is a website security solution (component) designed to protect your registration, comment, poll, guestbook, content submission, and other online forms from automated spam submissions. It generates CAPTCHA images with textual code rendered in them that are easily decipherable to humans -- but not to spam bots. In essence, it allows you to focus on your code or content -- instead of on deleting spam. 'Developer Edition' includes FULL SOURCE CODE and ROYALTY FREE distribution rights! Key features: - Time unlimited and fully functional demo version; ...

BotDetect 3 ASP CAPTCHA 3.0.0.0
BotDetect 3 ASP CAPTCHA is a website security solution (component) designed to protect your registration, comment, poll, guestbook, content submission, and other online forms from automated spam submissions. It generates CAPTCHA images with textual code rendered in them that are easily decipherable to humans -- but not to spam bots. In essence, it allows you to focus on your code or content -- instead of on deleting spam. 'Developer Edition' includes FULL SOURCE CODE and ROYALTY FREE distribution rights! Key features: - Time unlimited and fully functional demo version; ...

xcode 3.1.2 1613.0/1614.0/1591.0 (sdk 3.1.3) strikes again
Beware of a developer with access to threads: while debugging an app in xcode on ipod Xcode manages to tie up BOTH cores on mac mini (cpu idle is never above 15% and xcode cpu usage is %150-170%) I'm doing absolutely NOTHING on desktop: just sitting watching the top -o cpu output while a QA slave is trying to crash my app on the ipod tethered to the mac mini trying to move a cursor in a source code window is a rather painful experience naturally gdb barely uses ANY cpu cycles, ditto the userspace kernel processes I dare not to think what xcode predecessor was like if peo...

ANNOUNCE: Gaphor 0.12.0 and Gaphas 0.3.3
Hi all, A new version of Gaphor, the UML modelling tool, has been released. - undo/redo fixes - allow to create packages in model tree - improved messages on communication diagrams - improved text align algorithms - tagged values can be reordered and removed (like class attributes and operations) - text entry used to on-diagram editing is much nicer, now In addition some minor fixes have been done on Gaphor's diagram canvas component: Gaphas, most notably better scrollbar behaviour. Homepage: http://gaphor.devjavu.com Downloads: http://cheeseshop.py...