How advanced is java 1.6 with respect to java 1.1 ?

I've learned java 1.1 using a relatively old video tutorial and
realized it only later.

Is java 1.1 similar to java 1.6 or is it radically different ?

And if its similar, what additional features do I need to learn ?
0
Broli00 (429)
1/10/2009 12:32:15 AM
comp.lang.java.programmer 52711 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

broli wrote:
> I've learned java 1.1 using a relatively old video tutorial and
> realized it only later.
>
> Is java 1.1 similar to java 1.6 or is it radically different ?
>
> And if its similar, what additional features do I need to learn ?

Everything you have learned is still valid (except for a few very
obscure points).

But there has added some things to the Java language.

And the Java library is much much bigger.

So you will need to learn some more before you are
uptodate on Java 1.6.

Arne
0
arne6 (9808)
1/10/2009 12:41:43 AM
Arne Vajh�j wrote:
> broli wrote:
>> I've learned java 1.1 using a relatively old video tutorial and
>> realized it only later.
>>
>> Is java 1.1 similar to java 1.6 or is it radically different ?
>>
>> And if its similar, what additional features do I need to learn ?
>
> Everything you have learned is still valid (except for a few very
> obscure points).
>
> But there has added some things to the Java language.

The biggest ones being inner classes and generics.

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> Everything you have learned is still valid (except for a few very
> obscure points).
>
> But there has added some things to the Java language.
>
> And the Java library is much much bigger.
>
> So you will need to learn some more before you are
> uptodate on Java 1.6.

A lot more.

The Collections framework, 'assert', generics, the new memory model,
additional run-time options (e.g., for the garbage collector), the 'for-each'
loop construct, and a number of stylistic and idiomatic changes, plus
gazillions of new APIs (NIO and java.util.concurrent to name two).  And so
much more.

For God's sake, don't use java.util.Vector or java.util.Hashtable any more.

Synchronization is now much, much less expensive.  Allocation and garbage
collection are now much, much faster.  Swing has come into existence, and been
infinitely improved.  Java Enterprise Edition has appeared, with many good
implementations, some of them open source.

There is a ton of documentation on these issues and more.  java.sun.com and
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java are good sources for tutorials and
articles.  Read and study Joshua Bloch's /Effective Java/ and Brian Goetz's
/Java Concurrency in Practice/.  For starters.

--
Lew
0
broli wrote:
> I've learned java 1.1 using a relatively old video tutorial and
> realized it only later.
>
> Is java 1.1 similar to java 1.6 or is it radically different ?
>
> And if its similar, what additional features do I need to learn ?

Java 1.1 programs will work in Java 1.6, but you will miss a *lot* of
powerful features/libraries/speed/etc... that has been added over the years.

Note, Java 1.1 was released over a decade ago, and Java has been almost
constantly improving in the mean time.
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/codenames.html>

Alright, then in that case I will switch to a more recent book.

It seems the only things similar is the basic syntax, control loops
etc.
0
Broli00 (429)
1/10/2009 1:32:49 AM
On Jan 10, 12:32=A0pm, broli <Brol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright, then in that case I will switch to a more recent book.

For the API JavaDocs, bookmark this..
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/overview-summary.html>

Or better still, download them..
<http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp#docs>

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/
Mike Schilling wrote:
> Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>> broli wrote:
>>> I've learned java 1.1 using a relatively old video tutorial and
>>> realized it only later.
>>>
>>> Is java 1.1 similar to java 1.6 or is it radically different ?
>>>
>>> And if its similar, what additional features do I need to learn ?
>> Everything you have learned is still valid (except for a few very
>> obscure points).
>>
>> But there has added some things to the Java language.
>
> The biggest ones being inner classes and generics.

Inner classes were already in 1.1

Mark Thornton.
0
mthornton (109)

---910079544-441996238-1231593939=:15155

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Mike Schilling wrote:

> Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>> broli wrote:
>>> I've learned java 1.1 using a relatively old video tutorial and
>>> realized it only later.
>>>
>>> Is java 1.1 similar to java 1.6 or is it radically different ?
>>>
>>> And if its similar, what additional features do I need to learn ?
>>
>> Everything you have learned is still valid (except for a few very
>> obscure points).
>>
>> But there has added some things to the Java language.
>
> The biggest ones being inner classes and generics.

I'd say the biggest one is collections. Those came in in 1.2, and made a
huge difference to everyday programming.

There were some massive changes on the GUI side around then, too - i don't
think the basics of AWT changed much from 1.1 to 1.2 (they did from 1.0 to
1.1), but isn't that when Swing came in?

tom

--
Punk's not sexual, it's just aggression.
---910079544-441996238-1231593939=:15155--
0
twic (2088)
1/10/2009 1:25:39 PM
> For God's sake, don't use java.util.Vector or java.util.Hashtable any more.

I use java.util.Vector a lot.What's the alternative you suggest?

Prabesh Shrestha

0
prabesh708 (11)
1/10/2009 2:32:02 PM
In article
<246d5a66-06ce-44b6-8781-766a2a91499e@w24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 prabesh shrestha <prabesh708@gmail.com> wrote:

> > For God's sake, don't use java.util.Vector or java.util.Hashtable any more.
>
> I use java.util.Vector a lot.What's the alternative you suggest?

When any ordered collection (sequence) that implements the List or Map
interface will do, select the one that does what you want with the least
extra baggage. For example, I'd prefer ArrayList to Vector when
synchronization is not required; I'd prefer LinkedList to Stack and
HashMap to HashTable for a similar reason. Conversely, I wouldn't use
ConcurrentSkipListMap when a plain old HashMap is sufficient.

<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/List.html>
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Map.html>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
Mark Thornton wrote:
> Mike Schilling wrote:
>> Arne Vajh�j wrote:

>>> Everything you have learned is still valid (except for a few very
>>> obscure points).
>>>
>>> But there has added some things to the Java language.
>>
>> The biggest ones being inner classes and generics.
>>

> Inner classes were already in 1.1

Your're right. Generics, then, along with autoboxing and the other 1.5
changes.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history>

--
Lew
0

prabesh shrestha wrote:
>> I use java.util.Vector a lot.What's the alternative you suggest?

That class was replaced over *ten* years ago!  Why are you still using it?

John B. Matthews wrote:
> When any ordered collection (sequence) that implements the List or Map
> interface will do, select the one that does what you want with the least
> extra baggage. For example, I'd prefer ArrayList to Vector when
> synchronization is not required; I'd prefer LinkedList to Stack and
> HashMap to HashTable for a similar reason. Conversely, I wouldn't use
> ConcurrentSkipListMap when a plain old HashMap is sufficient.
>
> <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/List.html>
> <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Map.html>

Quite in line with the advice to incur "the least extra baggage",
'Collections.synchronizedList(List)' is better than 'Vector 'and
'Collections.synchronizedMap(Map)' is better than 'Hashtable'.  They don't
have extraneous methods and related classes that are outside the collections
framework.

<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Collections.html#synchronizedList(java.util.List)>
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Collections.html#synchronizedMap(java.util.Map)>

'Vector' has methods like 'elementAt()' and helper classes like 'Enumeration'
that you don't need in original code, and 'Hashtable' also pulls in
'Enumeration'.

The Javadocs for 'Stack' tell us:
> A more complete and consistent set of LIFO stack operations
> is provided by the Deque interface and its implementations,
> which should be used in preference to this class.

See also:
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Collections.html#asLifoQueue(java.util.Deque)>
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/concurrent/LinkedBlockingDeque.html>

There really is no good reason to use those antiquated legacy classes any
more.  Their replacement predates the time when most anybody making money
writing Java code started doing so.

--
Lew
0
Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Mike Schilling wrote:
>> Arne Vajh�j wrote:

>>> Everything you have learned is still valid (except for a few very
>>> obscure points).
>>>
>>> But there has added some things to the Java language.
>>
>> The biggest ones being inner classes and generics.
>
> I'd say the biggest one is collections. Those came in in 1.2, and made a
> huge difference to everyday programming.

Collection framework came in 1.2, but Vector and Hashtable did exist
before.

> There were some massive changes on the GUI side around then, too - i
> don't think the basics of AWT changed much from 1.1 to 1.2 (they did
> from 1.0 to 1.1), but isn't that when Swing came in?

Swing came in 1.2 (I believe it could be used in 1.1 as an extra
library).

Arne
0
arne6 (9808)
1/10/2009 5:53:38 PM
prabesh shrestha wrote:
>> For God's sake, don't use java.util.Vector or java.util.Hashtable any more.
>
> I use java.util.Vector a lot.What's the alternative you suggest?

java.util.ArrayList

Arne
0
arne6 (9808)
1/10/2009 5:54:00 PM
prabesh shrestha wrote:
>> For God's sake, don't use java.util.Vector or java.util.Hashtable any more.
>
> I use java.util.Vector a lot.What's the alternative you suggest?

It depends. Do you want an O(N) random-access list but O(1) head/tail
insertion/deletion? Or an O(1) random-access list but O(N) head
insertion/deletion and O(1) amortized tail insertion/deletion?

If you read the documentation for java.util.Vector, you'll notice that
it contains a strong warning to use other collections; the only reason
it's not deprecated is because non-deprecated APIs have to use it.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
0
Pidgeot18 (1520)
1/10/2009 7:29:08 PM
broli wrote:
> Alright, then in that case I will switch to a more recent book.
>
> It seems the only things similar is the basic syntax, control loops
> etc.

Also, you might try the Sun's online tutorial, since that is kept up to
date.

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/>

0
markspace1 (668)

---910079544-444468405-1231619086=:1825

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Arne Vajh�j wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:

>>> The biggest ones being inner classes and generics.
>>
>> I'd say the biggest one is collections. Those came in in 1.2, and made a
>> huge difference to everyday programming.
>
> Collection framework came in 1.2, but Vector and Hashtable did exist
> before.

True. But collections added loads more stuff, including an Iterator
interface that wasn't as agonising to use as Enumeration.

tom

--
FREQUENT VIOLENT BLOODY
---910079544-444468405-1231619086=:1825--
0
twic (2088)
1/10/2009 8:24:46 PM
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:32:15 -0800 (PST), broli <Broli00@gmail.com>

>Is java 1.1 similar to java 1.6 or is it radically different ?
>
>And if its similar, what additional features do I need to learn ?

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
for a list of major features added with each version.
The big advances I would say are

Collections
Swing
Assertions
for:each
autoboxing
Generics
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
broli wrote:
> I've learned java 1.1 using a relatively old video tutorial and
> realized it only later.
>
> Is java 1.1 similar to java 1.6 or is it radically different ?
>
> And if its similar, what additional features do I need to learn ?

Enums, enums and enums ;)

Then collections, then generics . . . ?

--
Ian.
Ian Smith wrote:

> Enums, enums and enums ;)
>
> Then collections, then generics . . . ?

oh yes, also the Executor frameworks for concurrency
Ian Smith wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>
>> Enums, enums and enums ;)
>>
>> Then collections, then generics . . . ?
>>

> oh yes, also the Executor frameworks for concurrency

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our
*three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an
almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst*
our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear,
surprise.... I'll come in again.

--
RGB
RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBrick@spamweary.invalid> wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>> Ian Smith wrote:
>>> Enums, enums and enums ;)
>>> Then collections, then generics . . . ?
>> oh yes, also the Executor frameworks for concurrency
> Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
> Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our
> *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an
> almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst*
> our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear,
> surprise.... I'll come in again.

I like 1.6's  Arrays.copyOf, and can't understand, why such a useful
tool wasn't added long before :-)    That's just because I had to
backport a small test-class to 1.5, and had to provide a substitute
for copyOf(), whereas I could take all the 1.5-goodies still for granted.

PS: really, I didn't expect the spanish inquisition!
0
avl1 (2748)

java 1.4 fail with java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError but 1.5, 1.6 ok
My JNI program is working with java 1.5 & 1.6 but fail with java 1.4 on a HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 computer. Please help even though java 1.4 is old. $ /opt/java1.4/bin/java -d32 -jar jHw.jar Failed to load MycompAPI and MycompAPI_64 libraries. java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no MycompAPI_64 in java.library.path at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1542) at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:795) at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:834) at com.chrysalisits.crypto.MycompAPI.<clinit>(MycompAPI.java: 47) at com.chrys...

Serialization between Java 1.1.4 and Java 1.4.1
Hello, It seems to me to be in some kinda trouble. I wanted to implement communication between Java applet and Server through sockets and Serialization. So, I serialize Object, send it to server which deserialize it with no problems. In other direction problems came out since Object serialized under Java 1.4.1 seems to be not deserializable under Java 1.1.4. (MS VM). If applet si run under J2, there are no problems, but I cannot push people to download some 15MB of new JRE just to accomplish my requirements, especially if applet needs not implementation of features of new JRE... ...

java web server 1.1.3 and java 1.4.1 problem
Hello I have got a weird problem with Java web server v 1.1.3 running with java version "1.4.1_01" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-b01) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-b01, mixed mode) I have added the following paths to my classpath: D:\JavaWebServer1.1.3\lib\jws.jar D:\JavaWebServer1.1.3\servlets The servlets directory contain servlets and I can run them through localhost/servlet/<servletname> However if I add a new (my own)servlet to that directory, I am not able to run them. It shows HTTP 404 - File not found. I think, one has ...

Is java 1.6 compatible with java 1.5?
Hello, I want to use a tool which works on java 1.5 and I have java 1.6 installed on my machine. Getting lot of errors when trying to build the tool. I am guessing that version difference is the reason. Is it? arshad wrote: > Hello, > I want to use a tool which works on java 1.5 and I have java 1.6 > installed on my machine. > Getting lot of errors when trying to build the tool. > I am guessing that version difference is the reason. Is it? Oh, yes, absolutely, of course; what else could possibly be amiss? I mean, just *look* at the text of your forty-second error message...

OO 1.1 and java 1.3.1
Am attempting to install OO 1.1, but with just Java 1.3.1, and the install documentation says that without at least 1.4.1, I cannot make use of full capabilties. I infer from this that I should be able to OO crippled. However, However, OO does not like it when I point to my 131 JRE. Comments? -- Sir: David I. Smith wrote: > Am attempting to install OO 1.1, but with just Java 1.3.1, and the > install documentation says that without at least 1.4.1, I cannot make > use of full capabilties. I infer from this that I should be able to > OO crippled. However, However, OO...

Job to convert Java App 1.3.1 to Java Newest of Java
I am looking for a excellent and fast developer to convert my existing Java program using (1.3.1) to the newest version of Java. The program uses Graphics and database routines. Review web site http://www.uprealimager.com For those developers interested in a small conversion project please reply for additional details. Thank you, Michael Kintner, MCSE, MGP CEO, Business Network Developer CNerd Inc 518 Queen Street Olean, New York 14760 ...

Problems with Fonts porting app from Java 1.1 to Java 1.2+
Hi Folks, I have some promblems with the "Serif"-Fonts when I'm trying to run my application under Java 1.2 (or higher) on some machines (strangely it doesn't occur on every machine with 1.2+). The Problem is that the Serif-Fonts I use in the application are instanciated well if they are plain but don't work if I instanciate them bold or italic. The Font-Files in font.properties regarding the bold and italic Fonts for "Serif" are setted well and exist. Does anybody have a hint what's needed (possibly I forgot a special setup) to gain access for these Fonts? ...

Tips for backporting Java 1.6 classes into Java 1.5?
I'm writing a Swing app, and I wanted a way to filter certain rows out of a JTable. I search Sun's API to see if they had any facilities for doing this, and I while I couldn't find such an API for 1.5, there is one for 1.6: javax.swing.RowFilter (http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/javax/swing/RowFilter.html) So I have a bit of a dilemma here. I don't want to have to "wait" for 1.6 to come out. I don't want to actually use a beta version of 1.6 (forcing my clients to do the same). But I don't want to implement this functionality myself, only...

polish unicode works in java 1.1, but not with Sun java 1.2 vm
I have written the interface to my applet in polish using unicode escape codes eg. \u0144 for the non latin characters. This works fine under java 1.1. ( I compiled using -target 1.1 -bootclasspath c:\jdk1.1.8 ... -extdirs "" and ran the applet using MS VM). However when the applet is used with the Sun Java VM (Java 2 v1.4)in the browser the escape codes do not work. They work for graphical output such as g.drawString("% st\u0119\u017cenia ...) but for the java awt labels and choice menus they just display little squares. So the MS VM seems to be using the correct fonts but the...

Java Runtime and Java 1.4.1?
Can someone help me by clarifying the relationship between Java Kit 1.4.1_os2 and the Java Runtime version 1.12 (build 20). I need to know how to set these up so some of the programs I run don't come back with "Java not found" (or something similar). I have both installed on my C: (os2) drive. Java 1.4.1 is in a directory titled JAVA14 and the runtime is in a directory titled JRT14. Both are Innotek versions. And how about the config.sys file? What and where do I need to edit? Thanks, -- On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:52:24 GMT, A. Willard Reese <awreese@bellsouth...

JAVA Networking: Code with getInputStream() was compatible with Java 1.6, is but anymore with 1.7
Hello Everybody... I have a piece of software which establishes a communication between a PC a= nd a machine, which used to work in Java 1.6, but doesn't anymore in 1.7. T= he IOException --> "Invalid Http response" is what I get as soon as the get= InputStream() method is called. It seems like the method had been improved = an is much more sensitive, meaning that responseCode=3D-1 result is not spe= cifically checked in Java 1.6. Assited with Wireshark I checked if both versions (1.6 & 1.7) sent and rece= ived same Ethernet frames, and so did both. I can on...

java.util.logging for Java 1.3.1
Being stuck in Java 1.3 becuase of application vendors, I would love to have a backwards port of java.util.logging libraries to 1.3. Has anybody out there have such a port? Thanks, Tim "Java script Dude" <despam2004@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:1130428022.062087.173350@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Being stuck in Java 1.3 becuase of application vendors, I would love to > have a backwards port of java.util.logging libraries to 1.3. > > Has anybody out there have such a port? There's one called Lumberjack avalable from Sourceforge. "Java scr...

What was in Java 1.1?
Hi! I just wanted to know - what did Java 1.1 have that Java 1.0 didn't have? Was it JDBC and JavaBeans? When were the ORB APIs added to Java? Hope I'm not being too inquisitive. Thanks. -NiCk ...

Java 1.1, 1.31 needed?
Do I need these? If not, is there anything more involved to removing them than to simply kill the directories JAVA11 and JAVA131? Anything in OS2.INI/OS2SYS.INI and/or the registry? -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ News is the first rough draft of History... War is good for business - invest your son. --antiwar bumper sticker from the 1960s ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ...

Web resources about - How advanced is java 1.6 with respect to java 1.1 ? - comp.lang.java.programmer

AdvancED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nelms, Ben (October 3, 2010). "All 31 Coweta Schools to Get Another 5-Year Accreditation" . The Citizen (Fayette, GA) . Retrieved 2010-10-06 ...

The upcoming 30 for 30 on O.J. Simpson is already getting really good advanced buzz
One of the more anticipated documentaries in the new season of ESPN's 30 for 30 is the "OJ Simpson: Made in America" five-part series that will ...

CISOs say advanced authentication methods must be used with traditional passwords
... Chief Information Security Officer’s (CISOs) say that days are numbered for the password as the sole authentication method and that advanced ...

Here's a job posting for test-flying one of the most advanced drones ever made
The X-47B is a strike-fighter-sized stealth drone built to have a weapons load of up to 4,500 pounds . The tailless experimental aircraft has ...

Bluelock Certified with Advanced Designations to Provide Cisco Powered Cloud and Managed Services
Bluelock Certified with Advanced Designations to Provide Cisco Powered Cloud and Managed Services Business Wire (press release) INDIANAPOLIS(BUSINESS ...

Crazy Cat Lady Training Level: Advanced
LoL by: CrystalRose3 Share on Facebook

Super Bowl 50 vows to be the most technologically advanced ever
Reps from the NFL, San Francisco 49ers and software giant SAP say the Big Game will live up to its high-tech promise.

REVIEW: Cyphort makes advanced threat protection easier than ever
Over the past few months, we’ve reviewed a variety of cutting-edge security tools that combat advanced persistent threats (APTs); everything ...

Get ‘the world’s most advanced VPN’ [Deals]
When going online, especially while using public Wi-Fi, it’s well worth keeping your guard up. Keeping your data secure and your browsing private ...

MSNBC: FBI’s Hillary Investigation ‘Far More Advanced’ Than Public Knows
'Mika and I have been hearing it from the top officials in the Obama administration'