Problem with Java application on Windows #2

I downloaded and installed "Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4.2_06"
(j2sdk-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe) on my PC which has Windows XP. I
then downloaded a Java application that processes telemetry data. The
installation required creating a directory on C: and unzipping the
installation file there. This resulted in a number of batch files and
other files and directories. When I tried to run any of the batch
files, a monitor pops up for less than a second and then dies without
anything happening. Normally, the monitor should come up with a status
message.

I am wondering if I need to edit the batch file "class path" in the
batch files or if maybe I have done something else wrong in the
installation of either Java or the application itself? From looking at
the content of one of the batch files, the path /stps/stps.jar makes no
reference to the C: drive. I created the /stps directory on the C:
drive and unzipped the application there. The stps.jar, stps.policy and
/config are some of the files and folders created from the
installation. I wonder if the batch files would run if C: is included
in the path name? I am not very familiar with Java and would appreciate
help with this please. Below is the content of one of the batch files
for reference. Thanks. Sincerely,

tox.

java -server -cp /stps/stps.jar
-Djava.rmi.server.codebase=file:/stps/stps.jar
-Djava.security.policy=file:/stps/stps.policy -Dport=4935
-DbufferSizeKb=16 -Dsetup=/stps/config -Droot=file://localhost/stps/
nasa.stps.server.TcpServer
rem Other Attributes.
rem -DbufferSizeKb=8
rem -Dconfig=xmlConfigFileName
rem The single argument is the server name ("StpsServices."+name).
rem The default name is "A".

tox wrote:
> I downloaded and installed "Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4.2_06"
> (j2sdk-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe) on my PC which has Windows XP. I
> then downloaded a Java application that processes telemetry data. The
> installation required creating a directory on C: and unzipping the
> installation file there. This resulted in a number of batch files and
> other files and directories. When I tried to run any of the batch
> files, a monitor pops up for less than a second and then dies without
> anything happening. Normally, the monitor should come up with a status
> message.

They very well might. Try clicking "Run" from the start menu, typing

cmd

to get a command prompt, and from the command prompt, change to the appropriate
directory and run the batch file(s).

The problem is that when the batch file closes, Windows automatically closes
its window. So even if there are status messages you won't be able to read them
unless you open up the command prompt window first and *then* execute the batch
file.

Apple Valley, California     Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
0
sjsobol (523)
12/8/2004 3:18:55 AM
Hi, can you verify your Windows system path to see if your java binary folder is inside? On windows, right click on "my computer" and choose properties. Then go to the "Advanced" tab and click on environment variables. In the lower window, there is a variable called "Path". Make sure you have "D:\j2sdk1.4.2_06\bin" in the string.

Also, instead of double-clicking on the batch file, you can run it from the command prompt so that you can see if there are any error messages.

forum (430)
12/8/2004 3:23:59 AM
I ran the application from the command prompt and got the following
error message:
no `server' JVM at `C:\Program
Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\server\jvm.dll'. So I went to look for
jvm.dll. There was a \client\jvm.dll but no \server\jvm.dll so I made a
copy of \client\jvm and renamed it to \server\jvm.dll. The batch files
seemed to work fine after that.

I had assumed that upon installation of  "Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition
1.4.2_06" (j2sdk-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe), the \server\jvm.dll
directory would have been created but apparently not. Does this mean
that my Java SDK installation was not thorough and will this cause me
some problems later? Should I attempt to reinstall it or will I be fine
for now (I mainly plan to run applications for the present and may only
get into development much further down the line)?

Thanks very much and I greatly appreciate your help!!! Sincerely,

tox.