Upgrading oracle db 10.1.0.5 to 10.2.0.2 java issues

Hi all,

We are upgrading our oracle database from 10.1.0.5 to 10.2.0.2. has
anyone had previous experience with this that they can point out
potential pitfalls? I am talking more on the java side than actually
the installation.

We have a java system talking to the oracle database. One system is
using hibernate, the other is using a DAO pattern with direct JDBC
calls. Does anyone know if this change will effect the application and
what changes we must do to accomadate? For example I know that oracle
10.2.0.2 has a different timestamp (oracle.timestamp) than that of it
predecesor (sql.timestamp)

We have a lot of stored procedures and soem direct JDBC calls to the
database. Is anyonw aware of pitfalls or what type of testplans we must
put together to test for issues?

Much appreciated for the assistance.
Dougless

0
dugmcgee (2)

dugmcgee@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are upgrading our oracle database from 10.1.0.5 to 10.2.0.2. has
> anyone had previous experience with this that they can point out
> potential pitfalls? I am talking more on the java side than actually
> the installation.
>
> We have a java system talking to the oracle database. One system is
> using hibernate, the other is using a DAO pattern with direct JDBC
> calls. Does anyone know if this change will effect the application and
> what changes we must do to accomadate? For example I know that oracle
> 10.2.0.2 has a different timestamp (oracle.timestamp) than that of it
> predecesor (sql.timestamp)
>
> We have a lot of stored procedures and soem direct JDBC calls to the
> database. Is anyonw aware of pitfalls or what type of testplans we must
> put together to test for issues?
>
> Much appreciated for the assistance.
> Dougless

I have not had any problems upgrading 10.1 to 10.2. My upgrades went
smoothly. But no matter how *my* upgrades went, *your* upgrades may not
be the same since we use different data and different applications. I
strongly suggest setting up a test system running Oracle 10.1. Then
upgrade that database to 10.2 and exercise your application against the
upgraded database. There is no substitute for good testing. Good testing
will point out the majority if your problem areas.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba@nospam.peasland.net
http://www.peasland.net

dba (518)
7/18/2006 12:56:15 PM
dugmcgee@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are upgrading our oracle database from 10.1.0.5 to 10.2.0.2. has
> anyone had previous experience with this that they can point out
> potential pitfalls? I am talking more on the java side than actually
> the installation.
>
> We have a java system talking to the oracle database. One system is
> using hibernate, the other is using a DAO pattern with direct JDBC
> calls. Does anyone know if this change will effect the application and
> what changes we must do to accomadate? For example I know that oracle
> 10.2.0.2 has a different timestamp (oracle.timestamp) than that of it
> predecesor (sql.timestamp)
>
> We have a lot of stored procedures and soem direct JDBC calls to the
> database. Is anyonw aware of pitfalls or what type of testplans we must
> put together to test for issues?
>
> Much appreciated for the assistance.
> Dougless

Hi. We have seen none. Oracle has no scope for returning anything
but a java.sql.Timestamp from a getTimestamp() call. If it returns
an oracle.sql.Timestamp, that *must be* a java.sql.Timestamp, and
shoudl continue to operate exactly like a java.sql.Timestamp, but may
also offer Oracle-specific extensions.
Joe Weinstein at BEA Systems

0
joeNOSPAM (240)