why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?

hi all

   why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?

/root>uname -a
Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
/root>java -version
java version "1.7.0_21"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)

thanks
from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)
0
mcheung631 (21)

On 02/07/13 15:16, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
> hi all
>
>     why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?
>
> /root>uname -a
> Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I see a 64Bit kernel. Note the x86_64.

So probably you have ubuntu 64 bit? ;-)

Regards,
   Sven
On 07/02/2013 02:16 PM, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
> hi all
>
>     why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?
>
> /root>uname -a
> Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> /root>java -version
> java version "1.7.0_21"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)
>
> thanks
> from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

Ubuntu is a Java application. Once you installed 64 bit Java your Ubuntu
system became 64 bit as well...
0
silvio6894 (33)
7/2/2013 12:54:45 PM
On 02/07/13 13:54, Silvio wrote:
> On 07/02/2013 02:16 PM, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
>> hi all
>>
>>     why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?
>>
>> /root>uname -a
>> Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23
>> UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> /root>java -version
>> java version "1.7.0_21"
>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)
>> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
>>
>> thanks
>> from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)
>>

> Ubuntu is a Java application. Once you installed 64 bit Java your Ubuntu
> system became 64 bit as well...

You're kidding right?

Is it April 1st

lipska

--
Lipska the Kat�: Troll hunter, sandbox destroyer
and farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun
On 07/02/2013 03:07 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
> On 02/07/13 13:54, Silvio wrote:
>> On 07/02/2013 02:16 PM, mcheung63@gmail.com wrote:
>>> hi all
>>>
>>>     why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk?
>>>
>>> /root>uname -a
>>> Linux peter-ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23
>>> UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>> /root>java -version
>>> java version "1.7.0_21"
>>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)
>>> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)
>>>

>> Ubuntu is a Java application. Once you installed 64 bit Java your Ubuntu
>> system became 64 bit as well...
>
> You're kidding right?
>
> Is it April 1st
>
> lipska

Of course I am. The OPs system information states its 64-bitness three
times so I was just indirectly telling him to look a bit harder.

0
silvio6894 (33)
7/2/2013 2:14:33 PM
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:14:33 +0200, Silvio <silvio@internet.com>

>Of course I am. The OPs system information states its 64-bitness three
>times so I was just indirectly telling him to look a bit harder.

I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM. What should he type to find out what
he has?
Getting information off the Internet is
like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.
~ Mitch Kapor 1950-11-01
0
see_website (5876)
7/2/2013 7:25:53 PM
On 02/07/13 22:25, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:14:33 +0200, Silvio <silvio@internet.com>
>
>> Of course I am. The OPs system information states its 64-bitness three
>> times so I was just indirectly telling him to look a bit harder.
>
> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM. What should he type to find out what
> he has?

He already typed "uname -a" which gave him all the information he could
wish for in this case. In particular, the output told him that his
kernel was a 64bit kernel.

It is possible to run odd combinations of a 64Bit kernel and a 32 Bit
userland. However, to the best of my knowledge Ubuntu doesn't support
that. Hence, we should assume that he runs 64Bit userland. Hence,
apt-get installed the 64bit openjdk.

Regards,
   Sven
On 7/2/2013 3:25 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:14:33 +0200, Silvio <silvio@internet.com>
>
>> Of course I am. The OPs system information states its 64-bitness three
>> times so I was just indirectly telling him to look a bit harder.
>
> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM.

That would be very stupid.

As a 64 bit Java would not run on a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of
memory.

>                                   What should he type to find out what
> he has?

That was actually part of OP's post!

Arne

0
arne6 (9808)
7/3/2013 1:44:12 AM
Arne Vajh�j <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
> On 7/2/2013 3:25 PM, Roedy Green wrote:

>> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
>> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM.

> That would be very stupid.
> As a 64 bit Java would not run on a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of
> memory.

There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
0
On 03/07/13 17:53, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Arne Vajh�j <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
>> On 7/2/2013 3:25 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>>> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
>>> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM.
>
>> That would be very stupid.
>> As a 64 bit Java would not run on a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of
>> memory.
>
> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.

Arne understood the comment of Roedy differently: he thinks that Roedy
meant package manager when saying "OS installer". In result, Arne
thought was thinking that Roedy was suggesting that the package manager
should install 64Bit Java if RAM > 4GB.
On 7/3/2013 10:53 AM, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Arne Vajh�j <arne@vajhoej.dk> writes:
>> On 7/2/2013 3:25 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>>> I would think it plausible an OS installer would automatically choose
>>> 64 bit if there is 4+ MB of RAM.
>
>> That would be very stupid.
>> As a 64 bit Java would not run on a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of
>> memory.
>
> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.

Roedy's wording is a bit "fuzzy".

But given the topic of the thread "why a 64 bit JDK can be installed
on 32 bit OS" then I assumed that it was about installing Java not
about installing Linux.

Furthermore I believe with Ubuntu you explicit pick 32 or 64
bit version to install.

But given the post Roedy did reply to then it could be Linux
he meant.

Arne

0
arne6 (9808)
7/4/2013 2:31:51 AM
On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:53:50 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.

Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE kernel
on 64 bit hardware. Each process runs in 32 bit task space with the
kernel looking after the higher order buts in the address registers.

If you have 32 bit code that you need to run, this will do it. And, if
you have no need to run freshly compiled processes with multi gigabyte
memory requirements, they'll run too and be a bit smaller thanks to their
shorter addresses.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 20:47:54 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:53:50 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
>> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
>> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.
> Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE kernel
> on 64 bit hardware.

How would you run a PAE kernel if a 64 bit kernel was automatically
installed ? While what you said is true, you don't seem to have read what
you responded to.

Liebe Gruesse,
		Joerg

ungelesen.
0
joergmmeier (195)
7/4/2013 9:08:01 PM
On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 23:08:01 +0200, Joerg Meier wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 20:47:54 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:53:50 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
>>> There wouldn't BE a 32 bit OS with more than 4 GB of memory, if the OS
>>> installer would automatically choose a 64 bit version.
>> Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE
>> kernel on 64 bit hardware.
>
> How would you run a PAE kernel if a 64 bit kernel was automatically
> installed ? While what you said is true, you don't seem to have read
> what you responded to.

Huh? IIRC it is the JRE that's being automatically installed, not the
kernel. If the installer is any good, it should recognise that its
dealing with a PAE kernel and install a 32 bit JRE. However, as the OP is
actually using a 64bit kernel, not surprisingly, he got a 64 bit JRE
installed.

In any case, I was deliberately OTT because I was explaining to Sven that
its perfectly possible to run a 32 bit OS on 64bit iron and not entirely
stupid to do it either.

Cheers,
Martin

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Martin Gregorie <martin@address-in-sig.invalid> writes:
> On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 23:08:01 +0200, Joerg Meier wrote:
>>> Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE
>>> kernel on 64 bit hardware.
>>
>> How would you run a PAE kernel if a 64 bit kernel was automatically
>> installed ? While what you said is true, you don't seem to have read
>> what you responded to.
>>
> Huh? IIRC it is the JRE that's being automatically installed, not the
> kernel. If the installer is any good, it should recognise that its

The OS installer installs the OS, and if it has chosen a 64-bit version,
there will be no PAE kernel installed.
OTOH, you often choose the OS version (including bitness) by choosing
a specific installation media, and that is done before starting
the installer.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
0
On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 21:42:58 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 23:08:01 +0200, Joerg Meier wrote:
>>> Of course there could. If you want that, you just run a Linux PAE
>>> kernel on 64 bit hardware.
>> How would you run a PAE kernel if a 64 bit kernel was automatically
>> installed ? While what you said is true, you don't seem to have read
>> what you responded to.
> Huh? IIRC it is the JRE that's being automatically installed, not the
> kernel. If the installer is any good, it should recognise that its
> dealing with a PAE kernel and install a 32 bit JRE. However, as the OP is
> actually using a 64bit kernel, not surprisingly, he got a 64 bit JRE
> installed.

If you read what Jukka said, it's clear that he is talking about the thing
that installs the OS, because otherwise his sentences doesn't even make
internal logical sense - if he was talking about an application installer,
how would that have any effect on what OS would be installed ?

> In any case, I was deliberately OTT because I was explaining to Sven that
> its perfectly possible to run a 32 bit OS on 64bit iron and not entirely
> stupid to do it either.

Which is why I added "While what you said is true".

Liebe Gruesse,
		Joerg

ungelesen.
0
joergmmeier (195)

"LoadLibrary" of a 32 bit so with 64 bit java on a 64 bit machine
Hello, I have an x86_64 linux machine. The java installed there is Sun java for linux (64 bit version- Linux x64 Platform - Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6) I have a library (.so) which includes JNI calls. This library was compiled on a 32 bit machine and I don't have it's sources. When running a jar in the usual way, if I try "LoadLibrary" on this machine from the java code I get an error. Is there a way to run the jar in "32 bit mode" on this machine with this 64 bit java ? Which flag to the "java" command should I pass in order to achive this ? Or is...

Windows 7 64 bit
My server works under Windows 7 Professional 64 bits, my FileMaker Pro10 Advanced is 32 bits. FM has to connect to a MySQL-database, which driver should I use? The 64bits or the 32bits version? And if 64, can FM communicate via the 64bits driver with MySQL? Or should I better downgrade W7 to 32bits? Harry <a@b.c> wrote: > My server works under Windows 7 Professional 64 bits, my FileMaker > Pro10 Advanced is 32 bits. > FM has to connect to a MySQL-database, which driver should I use? > The 64bits or the 32bits version? I never used Filemaker. And I try to sta...

Installing 64-bit Fedora on a 64-bit PC currently running 32-bit Fedora?
Dear all, I borrowed a Dell Optiplex 745 duo-core PC from my friend who has installed Fedora Core 6. Without the knowledge that the PC actually supports EMT64, the i586 build (32-bit) has been installed. Now I'd like to use the machine to perform some testing that must need 64-bit OS. However, I don't want to reinstall the OS and destroy all data on my friend's PC, and it is unsure if some software my friend uses can work well on 64-bit OS. Therefore I'd like to install a 64-bit (x86_64 build) version of Fedora Core 6 (or Fedora 7) and then dual boot it with the origina...

32 bit Matlab install on 64 bit linux -- missing 32 bit libXp.so.6 library?
I'm trying to install 32 bit Matlab on 64 bit linux I have seen the Technical Solution <http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-O7POO.html?1-O7POO> and some notes for fixing this problem on Fedora <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-106502.html> However, I'm running Ubuntu 2.6.12-9-amd64-generic, and neither of these takes me all the way to a solution. I'm at the point where I can run the installer with the following: root@lanczos:/usr/local/matlab71_sv# /usr/local/install/install_unix.sh -glnx86 -t -nocp /usr/local/install/unix/install...

32 bit or 64 bit Oracle on 64 bit OS?
Hello, Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are planning to check following. 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Do we need to reinstall Oracle clients with 64 bit installable if Oracle Server is upgraded to 64 bit? Is 32 bit Oracle is certified on 64 bit OS? Do we need to take care of any other ...

Oracle 9i Client AIX Installation Problem
Running AIX 5.1L on an old PowerPC. Have bos.64bit installed. Unable to get Oracle 9i client programs to work. Get errors exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./sqlplus because of the following errors: 0509-032 Cannot run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit machine. Should Oracle 9i client work on older RS-6000 hardware? Am able to install and run Oracle 8i client. Any reason why I should not just give up and use what works? Thanks .... ...

32-bit Number * 32-bit Number = 64-bit result
I need to do multiplication that mirrors how C handles integer multiplication. That is, one 32-bit number times another 32-bit number equals the least significant 32-bits of the 64-bit result. In theory, I could mimic that behavior like so: (x * x) & 0xFFFFFFFF But this doesn't work quite right because the initial multiplication can produce such a large result that JavaScript looses some precision. Any thoughts? Ideas? "Jeff.M" <Mott.Jeff@gmail.com> writes: > I need to do multiplication that mirrors how C handles integer > multiplication. That is, one 32-bit...

32 bit applet on 64 bit Java?
Can a 32 bit applet run on 64 bit Java? If not, does 64 bit browser require a 64 bit java? Thanks in advance for your answers. On 11/09/2010 07:43 AM, John Smith wrote: > Can a 32 bit applet run on 64 bit Java? Java bytecode can run on any JVM, although if you use native libraries, you naturally have to provide one for every platform you wish to support. If you were asking if a 32-bit applet plugin could use a 64-bit JVM, I believe the answer is no. > If not, does 64 bit browser require a 64 bit java? I am pretty sure that most browser plugin APIs require tha...

installing both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries
I have RedHat EL smp x86_64 system, and now I want to additionally install the 32-bit version of the xorg-x11-libs for some programs that are expecting the file /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 to exist. (I have the 64-bit version in the lib64 subdirectory and I don't think there will be any conflict problem.) Is there an up2date incantation that will get me the 32-bit libraries? I think the answer is: up2date <whatever> --arch=i386 ...

Upgrading a 32 bit install to 64 bit?
My computer is 64 bit (a fact that I missed earlier). Right now I have Fedora 7. It all works as advertised. I have 4 gigs of RAM. My question is, would I benefit if I upgrade to 64 bit with F8? Would I run into any troubles if my upgrade is for different CPU architecture? Anyone tried it? vendor_id : AuthenticAMD cpu family : 15 model : 43 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ stepping : 1 cpu MHz : 2216.533 cache size : 512 KB i Ignoramus1624 wrote: > My computer is 64 bit (a fact that I missed earlier). Right now...

installing both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries
I have RedHat EL smp x86_64 system, and now I want to additionally install the 32-bit version of the xorg-x11-libs for some programs that are expecting the libXpm.so. Apparently the 64-bit version is already installed as /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4, and there does not seem to be any file link that would cause a problem if I were to install a file in /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4. So is there an rpm incantation that will get me the 32-bit libraries? An Thu, 04 May 2006 04:13:18 +0000, Christopher C. Stacy hat geschreibt: > I have RedHat EL smp x86_64 system, and now I want to a...

Matlab 64 vs 32 bit benchmarking results (on Win XP 64 bit vs Win XP 32 bit SP2)
Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32 bit and win XP 64 bit. On the 32 bit OS I run 32 bit matlab, on the 64 bit OS I run 64 bit matlab. MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b) Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS I benchmarked the systems in 2 ways (average over multiple runs): 1) with a benchmark from the file exchange MATLAB Central > File Exchange > Utilities > Miscellaneous > Benchmark http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=11984&objectType=file 2) With my own benchmark (training of neural netwo...

Size 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
I need to find out what is the size of following data structures in 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, and 64 bit systems. struct findsize{ unsigned char chA; unsigned long lg; unsigned short sh; unsigned char chB; }; sizeof() runs at compile time, that means one can know in advance what size of these. I don't have 8 bit or 16 bit systems. I do have 32 bit and 64 bit system. I believe, in 32 bit system, this would be 1+4+2+1 = 8 bytes. Can anyone throw some light here on how to find size? adar <adar_ji@yahoo.com> ...

64-bit instance on Aix 32 bit kernel / 64 bit hardware
Hi, Is it worth to use 64-bit DB2 instances on a 32-bit kernel, in terms of: - performance - configuration (go beyond the 256 Mb segment for private mem, 1.75 Gb for Bufferpools) - other ? I've seen NIS is not supported, downlevel (64 to 32 bit ?) is not supported .... The "Should I be using DB2 64-bit?" tech note seems confusing: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=71&context=SSEPGG&q1=64-bit&uid=swg21188114&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en It states some restrictions - You can install 64-bit DB2 UDB Version 8 on 32-bit operating syst...

compiling on 32-bit vs. 64-bit (gcc fails on 64-bit)
On a 64-bit Scientific Linux 5.4 machine, I get the following when I try to compile the basic "Hello world" program: [root]# g++ -Wall hello.cc -o hello /tmp/ccglIDXK.s: Assembler messages: /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:10: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:38: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:55: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:79: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:81: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:85: Error: suffix or operand...

Run 32-bit and 64-bit listener at the same time on W3K 64-bit
I have Oracle 10.2.0.4-64 bit running on W3K-64-bit. Now I need to run a 32-bit 9.2.0.5 (yes I know, ouch) on this box. I cannot get the listener to work. I use batch file to specifically point to the 9.2 environment, but for some reason it points to the 64-bit version. Any clues? E:\dbscripts>rem set oracle 9.2 environment E:\dbscripts>set ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle\ora92 E:\dbscripts>set path=C:\oracle\ora92\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;\\CFOLDC1\fopublic\ E:\dbscripts>set TNS_ADMIN=C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin E:\dbscripts>c: C:\...

AIX 64-bit kernel vs. 32-bit with 64-bit extensions
We are in the process of migrating our IDS 7.31 UD4 instance to IDS 9.4FC6. At the same time, we are moving to IBM p630 servers with 2 1.2Ghz Power4 processors with 4G of RAM running on AIX 5.2. We are beginning to test a reorg/migration script which uses distributed SQL queries to move data from our very-interleaved, messy IDS 7 instance to a well-organized IDS 9 instance with big chunks (where needed). In our test, both instances are on separate p630 AIX 5.2 servers connected on the same subnet. We were just told by our AIX admins that our standard mode for the AIX 5.2 servers is 32-bit mode with 64-bit extensions. The first migration script test is running now, but slower than we had hoped. With the above configuration in mind, would true 64-bit kernel give us much advantage in speed and efficiency for our IDS 9.4 instance? If so, any idea how much? Is there any IBM documentation out there that I could show our AIX admins to convince them to change to 64-bit kernel mode? Thanks. Pete Link University of Michigan Health System Ann Arbor, MI USA "pete_link" <plink1@excite.com> wrote in message news:1110977903.633518.5340@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > We are in the process of migrating our IDS 7.31 UD4 instance to IDS > 9.4FC6. At the same time, we are moving to IBM p630 servers with 2 > 1.2Ghz Power4 processors with 4G of RAM running on AIX 5.2. > > We are beginning to test a reorg/migration scrip...

Size 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit systems. #2
I need to find out what is the size of following data structures in 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, and 64 bit systems. struct findsize{ unsigned char chA; unsigned long lg; unsigned short sh; unsigned char chB; }; sizeof() runs at compile time, that means one can know in advance what size of these. I don't have 8 bit or 16 bit systems. I do have 32 bit and 64 bit system. I believe, in 32 bit system, this would be 1+4+2+1 = 8 bytes. Can anyone throw some light here on how to find size? On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:34:56 -0...

Replacing 64-bit Ubuntu with 32-bit version
I'm thinking of downgrading the 64-bit version of Ubuntu Linux 5.10 to the 32-bit version because I'm told that will give me better, no-hassle compatibility with programs like Skype and Flash. What's the best way for me to do this? If I install the 32-bit version will it wipe all my data (e.g. Evolution e-mails)? Alex http://www.alexsingleton.com/techblog/ Alex Singleton wrote: > I'm thinking of downgrading the 64-bit version of Ubuntu Linux > 5.10 to the 32-bit version because I'm told that will give me > better, no-hassle compatibility with programs like Skyp...

64-bit java app on 32-bit jvm?
I'm compiling java apps with a new 64-bit jvm (amd64 for Xeon) (previously compiled under 32-bit jvm). I intend to put it on 4 tomcat servers, 2 run a 32-bit jvm (i386), 2 run a 64-bit jvm (amd64 for Xeon). Will the now-64-bit app run fine on the 32-bit jvm's without modification? Thanx, -Tony Anthony J. Biacco wrote: > I'm compiling java apps with a new 64-bit jvm (amd64 for Xeon) > (previously compiled under 32-bit jvm). I intend to put it on 4 tomcat > servers, 2 run a 32-bit jvm (i386), 2 run a 64-bit jvm (amd64 for > Xeon). > Will the now-64-bit app run fine...

Install 32 bit SAS on a 64 bit machine?
Hi...can someone help me with the following query I just received? Thanks in advance... The question is: Can I install 32-bit SAS on my 64-bit machine or is there a 64-bit version that I need to get? Andrew Karp Sierra Information Services http://www.sierrainformation.com PS. I am also cross-posting this to the SAS consultants list. Yes, you can run 32-bit SAS on a 64-bit machine and yes, there's a 64- bit SAS that you can run as well. I don't know about installing just a 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine. I installed the 64-bit version on my machine and then ...

Can OSX 64-bit be run in 32-bit mode?
IFor the windows and linux 64 bit versions can be started in 32 bit mode from the command line. s there a way to make OSX maci64 matlab run in a 32 bit mode? Hi, For any platform that has multiple architecture support (Mac, Windows, or Linux), you first need to install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version. Once you have that... On the Mac platform, you can use the Finder "Get Info" menu command (Cmd-I, or control-click or right-mouse-click and select "Get Info") on the MATLAB_R2009b application icon, and then check the "Open in 32 Bit Mode" checkbox to ...

How can I determine if a static library is 32-bit or 64-bit?
If one has a shared library (foobar.so), it is easy to tell if this is a 32-bit or 64-bit library simply by using 'file'. How can I do the same with a static library? I have a maths application (linbox) which tries to link to an ATLAS static library, but fails as it reports the library is 32-bit. I doubt this is true, as I know ATLAS was compiled as 64-bit. But in general, how can one tell if a static library is 32-bit or 64-bit? I want to solve the problem on both Solaris and OpenSolaris - both SPARC and x64, though I suspect the solution to one system will work on anothe...

Can 32-bit and 64-bit Python coexist in the same computer?
Hi guys! I got a new laptop computer which came with the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I installed the 64-bit versions of Python and a few other libraries and wrote a few Python programs right there. If I copy the Python scripts to a 32-bit computer, it runs flawlessly. But in the future I may still need to distribute my compiled programs to people who use 32-bit Windows and it seems that neither PyInstaller nor py2exe can cross compile a 32-bit application from this 64-bit computer. So ugly as it sounds, I'm considering installing in parallel the 32- bit version of Python ...

Web resources about - why 32 bit ubuntu can install 64 bit openjdk? - comp.lang.java.programmer

OpenJDK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
One of the first benefits of this agreement is tighter alignment with the IcedTea project, which brings together Fedora , the Linux distribution, ...

OpenJDK
What is this? The place to collaborate on an open-sourceimplementation of the Java Platform, Standard Edition , and related projects. (Learn ...

Red Hat takes the reins of OpenJDK 7
Red Hat is taking over stewardship of the OpenJDK 7 project, at the moment a generation behind the current release of Java.

Oracle and Apple Announce OpenJDK Project for Mac OS X
REDWOOD SHORES and CUPERTINO, California—November 12, 2010—Oracle and Apple® today announced the OpenJDK project for Mac OS® X. Apple will contribute ...

Android N switches to OpenJDK, Google tells Oracle it is protected by the GPL
... version of Android, it is swapping Android's Java libraries from its own Apache Harmony-based implementation to one based on Oracle's OpenJDK—yes ...

Google says ta-ta to Oracle's Java APIs will embrace OpenJDK in future Android releases
... stances were later reversed. Ultimately, Oracle beat Google using the judicial system. Today, Google announces that it will embrace OpenJDK ...

Oracle raises questions on open-source license for Android with OpenJDK
Oracle has raised questions whether a version of Google's Android operating system running OpenJDK code will get an open-source license. Google ...

Oracle and IBM join together on OpenJDK
But, in partnering with Oracle on OpenJDK, IBM is leaving Apache's Project Harmony out in the cold.

Azul Partners To Bring OpenJDK to Windows Azure
Microsoft and Azul partner on OpenJDK build for Windows Azure

Google Will Switch to OpenJDK in Android N
When Android N rolls out at the end of next year, Google will have switched over to OpenJDK, the open source Java Development Kit from Oracle, ...