is an java applet able to harm my computer?

Hi,

I use IE and netscape. In the options of IE, i see that the default settings
concerning Java applet are:
run java applets in script: yes

I read that an applet can do more than a javascript. So, is an applet able
to harm my system (by writing, deleting ..). If yes, why is the default yes?

Thanks
carl

0
Carl
9/23/2003 12:54:15 PM
comp.lang.java.security 1502 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:54:15 +0200, "Carl" <jhkl@fgnfn.us> wrote or
quoted :

>I read that an applet can do more than a javascript. So, is an applet able
>to harm my system (by writing, deleting ..). If yes, why is the default yes?

An unsigned applet can't hurt you.  A signed one is equivalent to an
installed program  if you give it permission to run.

I think this parameter just allows triggering applets from Javascript.
This is not a particularly dangerous thing to do.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
Roedy

If your Netscape is 6.xx, I would check it, or just disallow Java in it.

Carl <jhkl@fgnfn.us> wrote in message news:bkpg0d$8me$1@reader11.wxs.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I use IE and netscape. In the options of IE, i see that the default
settings
> concerning Java applet are:
> run java applets in script: yes
>
> I read that an applet can do more than a javascript. So, is an applet able
> to harm my system (by writing, deleting ..). If yes, why is the default
yes?

> Thanks
> carl

0
VK
9/23/2003 9:18:09 PM
*IF* (a very big if) you're still using Microsoft's VM, then there could be
a chance - because MSJVM has bugs in it.

My virus shield has information about a virus (forgot its name) that is a
Java applet. It will exploit a security loophole in MSJVM to access and
execute files on your computer.

Microsoft has patches for MSJVM, but god knows if there're more lurking in
there. More reason to download JRE!

KC

0
KC
9/24/2003 3:27:00 AM
Hi, SUN JRE is also vulnerable if you use the java media framework:

See

http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsalert%2F54760&zone_32=category%3Asecurity

"1. Impact
A vulnerability in the Java(TM) Media Framework (JMF) may potentially
allow an untrusted applet to exit unexpectedly ("crash") the Java
Virtual Machine (JVM) or gain unauthorized privileges.."

Cheers
Marc

"KC Wong" <sterilize.the.spammers@killkillkill.com> wrote in message news:<bkr2si$4rqc0$1@ID-200690.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> *IF* (a very big if) you're still using Microsoft's VM, then there could be
> a chance - because MSJVM has bugs in it.
>
> My virus shield has information about a virus (forgot its name) that is a
> Java applet. It will exploit a security loophole in MSJVM to access and
> execute files on your computer.
>
> Microsoft has patches for MSJVM, but god knows if there're more lurking in
> there. More reason to download JRE!
>

> KC
0
marc

Hi, I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help me. Below is the stack trace. Stack Trace: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.SQLAllocEnv(Native Method) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<init>(DB2Driver.java:245) at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver.<clinit>(DB2Driver.java:130) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:120) Thanks in advance, Ganesh Majji ganesh.m@gmail.com wrote: > I am new to DB2. I am getting this error while loading the DB2Driver. I > don't have any idea about where i might have gone wrong. please help > me. Unfortunately my crystal bowl stays dark because you didn't mentioned your operating system and which DB2 version you're using. For Windows, *nix and OS/2 please ensure that your application is using the db2java.zip from SQLLIB\java. Check if there are multiple db2jdbc.dll on your system, remove any extra db2jdbc.dll files on the system. Ensure that you can connect to DB2 with the DB2 workstation tools from your machine. sorry for not mentioning the system details. Operation System is SunOS (Solaris) and DB2 SDK 8.2.2 Thank you very much for the kind response, Ganesh Bernd Hohmann wrote: > ganesh.m@gmail...

Java Java
Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. Working on a second right now. Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS. It will be at www.black-and-company.com tab wrote: > Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. > Working on a second right now. > > Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS. > > It will be at www.black-and-company.com > Wasn't that the whole point of Lindows? Oh, right, we didn't care for that either. tab wrote: > Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project. > Working on a second right now. > > Coming out with a ...

Java in Java
Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a desktop Java app? -- Dirk http://www.transcendence.me.uk/ - Transcendence UK http://www.theconsensus.org/ - A UK political party http://www.onetribe.me.uk/wordpress/?cat=5 - Our podcasts on weird stuff Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote: > Is it possible to download a Java app (applet etc?) and run it inside a > desktop Java app? > Quite likely, but you won't necessarily get the same security model, unless you were careful about it. -- Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/&g...

to use import java.lang.* or import java.lang.Math or none at all?
Hi guys, i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a matter at all? the answer to this post will definitely affect my programming style in the future when i'm considering "to import or not to import"... hmm,,, thanks in advance. JPractitioner wrote: > i knew that by default all java.lang classes will be imported by the > compiler during compilation. but, to make it easier for the computer, > should i specify which class i really will be using? does this action > will boost the performance during compilation and runtime or not a > matter at all? Whether and how you import classes has exactly zero effect at runtime. Imports (with or without wildcards) are only a kind of abbreviation provided by the compiler to save us the effort of typing in fully-qualified type names every time. In theory explicit importing should make compilation faster -- by a very tiny amount. I've never heard anyone claim that they've even managed to measure a difference let alone found a case where it made a practical difference. So the question comes down to how to write your code for maximum clarity. One school of thought asserts that you should always import each class explicitly (rather than by a wildcard). There's a fai...

Good day to all, I have installed the j2se/netbeans binary bundle on red hat 9. I can run everything perfectly as root but when I try to compile with any other user I get: Error occurred during intialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object When I saw this it seemed like a permissions problem but I checked the permissions and everything seemed fine. All users have execute permissions of javac and java. I have read other threads dealing with the same or similar problem but have not reached any solution yet. I would appreciate if anyone that has run into this type of problem and has solved it if he/she could give me a hand or if anyone could just point out what I should be looking for in this type of problem. Thanks in advance... gek ...

Why no Java applets in (Java-enabled) Safari???
I'm at wits end here. Applets work fine in Firefox, but not in Safari. "Enable Java" is checked in my Safari's Preferences > Security, and there's a "Java Applet.plugin" in Library/Internet Plug-Ins. Still, according to what I see at http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/object/java/clock my Safari can't handle Java applets at all; all I see is the "cup of coffee" graphic that indicates that Java is not available. (FWIW, the page above displays correctly when I use Firefox.) I've run out of troubleshooting ideas. What's the next...

java.lang vs java.util
Surprising to see something defined in java.lang <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on something defined in java.util <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > Surprising to see something defined in java.lang > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on > something defined in java.util > <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. > > Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? I think Iterable may make it into java.lang because of its significance in the foreach statement. Patricia On 04/02/2011 12:23 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote: > On 4/1/2011 9:11 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: >> Surprising to see something defined in java.lang >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Iterable.html> depend on >> something defined in java.util >> <http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Iterator.html>. >> >> Surely the hierarchy should go the other way? Not if it wants to be consistent with http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/ don't'cha think? And the so-called "hierarchy" of java.util and java.lang is that they are equal. The language reserves for itself the entire panoply of java.* and javax.* packages. > I think It...

Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please reply with YES or NO.
Hi, Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class java.lang.reflect.Method? Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments after it if you wish. I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. Kind regards, Paka Paka Small wrote: > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > java.lang.reflect.Method? It's not subject to vote. It's defined by the language. You might as well ask, "Is 'int' a primitive or a reference type?". Your vote will not change reality. > Please put YES or NO as the first word in your reply. Add comments > after it if you wish. > > I'll make a YES/NO count after some time. And what exactly do you hope to accomplish by this exercise? Distinguish who knows Java from those who don't? A method is not a class, and a class is not a method. That's reality in Java. The law of gravity is not subject to repeal by opinion, and neither is this. Instead of wasting your time and trying to waste ours conducting meaningless polls, why don't you read the material linked upthread and learn the truth for yourself? Learn the truth and it will set you free, or at least keep you from making errors like claiming that methods and classes are the same in Java. -- Lew On 5 feb, 20:38, Lew <lewbl...@gmail.com> wrote: > Paka Small wrote: > > Poll: Is a Java Method an Instance of the Java Class > > java.lang.reflect.Method? > > It's not sub...

CheckBox in Column of JTable: Exception: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
Hello, I have discovered a hidden error. My project was working for awhile, but then I started to get the below error. My error comes from the fact that I'm using a checkbox in a jtable, and I'm using the below "getColumnClass". Thank you, compile: run: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at javax.swing.JTable$BooleanRenderer.getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable.java:5412) at javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5735) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCell(BasicTableUI.java:2114) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCells(BasicTableUI.java:2016) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paint(BasicTableUI.java:1812) at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(ComponentUI.java:161) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:778) at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1054) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5221) at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(RepaintManager.java:1482) at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1413) at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1206) at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5169) at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4980) at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:770) at javax.swing.RepaintM...

SSRT3627 Security Bulletin Rev.1

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object (ant/tomcat/spring)
Hi, I've been trying to get Spring working with ant and tomcat. Ant was building just fine, but I came in today and tried to build it and got this: Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object ?!?! Makes no sense to me. There _is_ an older version of java installed on my machine; but JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME are set to the correct paths, and <which java>and <java -version> produce the correct version. Any help would greatly alleviate my frustration! Thanks in advance... Courtney ...

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Java compiler available
tearing my hair out on this one.Thuis started as an upgrade issue till i realised that my un-usedtomcat5 installation didn't work either with my test jsp.I have, in desparation, un-installed all java / tomcat libs and re-installed only those required to get thetomcat6-6.0.14-1jpp.noarch.rpm (and the band-waggon) loadedfirst I installed java_app_platform_sdk-5_02-linux.binthis shows (after I set alternatives to point to the /opt/SDK/jdkdirecrtory)[root@squirrel ~]# javac -versionjavac 1.6.0java shows the same.I have set the following in profileCLASSPATH=$JDKHOME:$JDKHOME/lib/tools.jarJAVA_H...

java.io.File to java.lang.String
What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by ajava.io.File object into a String? Benjamin wrote:> What's the best way to get the contents of a file represented by a> java.io.File object into a String?> You don't specify what you consider best so how about simple as best? Now for my curiosity, why would you want to do this?import java.io.*;public class test { public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception { ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); File f = new File(args[0]); FileInputStream fis = new ...

applet java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
When trying to load an applet: <applet name="statusApplet" CODEBASE ="http://localhost/php/client/applet/Tst/" code="StatusCodeApplet.class" width="0" height="0"></applet> I get the following exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/httpclient/HttpException at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source) at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Exception in thread "Thread-8" java.lang.NullPointerException at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source) at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletException(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) java.lang.NullPointerException at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source) at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletStatus(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Exception in thread "thread...

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space #2
Does anyone have any ideas on why that happened: [java] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space Explaining the situation. I have such code: for (int i=0; i<10000-1; i++) { for (int j=i+1; j<10000; j++) { compareElements(arr[i], arr[j]); } } Element of the array is a simple class that has two fields (one is string and another is BitVector) and getters and setters for those fields. Function compareElements compares the BitVectors of two elements. Now the problem: when I run the code, program runs only till then 1334 element in t...

Access java applet using java script
Hello , I develop a Java applet that access some files in client machine's hard disk. This applet is a signed one and works fine with Mozilla Firefox and IE6. Then I create some functions to do the same thing and try to access the functions through the script. But unfortunately the applet throws some security exceptions. Can you please help me to overcome this issue. What are the limitations with java applet and java script ? Is there any additional limitations in accessing java applet through javascript ? thank You, Sirama Buwa. ...

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lsxbe in java.library.path
Hello i got following exception: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lsxbe in java.library.path My source code looks like the examples of the Notes homepage. import lotus.domino.*; public class Main extends NotesThread{ public static void main(String argv[]){ System.err.println(System.getProperty("java.library.path")); // System.load("C:/Programme/lotus/notes/lsxbe.dll"); Main t = new Main(); t.start(); } public void runNotes(){ try{ Session s = NotesFactory.createSession("localhost&qu...

java.lang.SecurityException: Prohibited package name: java
I created an applet which just attaches an extended TransferHandler to a gui and it worked fine on my computer... Online however I got this error: java.lang.SecurityException: Prohibited package name: java at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unkno...

NEWBIE: Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java/
Dear Readers, the last time I saw people asking this question was in 2000 and 2001 and no one has concluded it as to how they resolved the issue. I wrote my sample program using Eclipse. that compiled and ran to display the results at the bottom. wanted to familiarize with the tool. so wrote the program and compiled the program. when i compiled at command line, the program compiled fine. when i try to ran it: it gave the Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java/ error. eclipse had a bunch of jar files from the c:\jsdk1.4.2._05 lib files under it. so i changed the classpath in the environmental variable to have all the jar files as displayed on the eclipse editor. ENV: WINXP. Java: C:\>echo %classpath% ..;C:\TOMCAT4129\common\lib\servlet.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\lib\dt.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\lib\tools.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\jce.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\jsse.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\plugin.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\dnsns.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\ldapsec.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\localedata.jar;C:\ j2sdk1.4.2_05\jre\lib\ext\sunjce_provider.jar >java -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayApp/java >javac -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Compiled well. >java -classpath %CLASSPATH% DisplayApp.java Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFo...

How to define java.lang.Object using java IDL
Hi all, I have a function like: boolean method(java.lang.Object param). How can I define this using java IDL? In another words, I need to pass an instance of java.lang.Object from Client to Server using CORBA. Is this possible? I would be nice simply to typecast the Object at Server-side into whatever needed. How about without typecasts, is this possible in any way, for example using a helper function like: java.lang.Object anyToJavaLangObject(Any value) Code examples ?!? Thanks in advance Juha Rossi ...

Compiling Java from Java
I wish to write a Java program which can compile and run java source code. Can this be done without resorting to OS-specific calls to javac? I've seen suggestions that Ant might allow me to do this, but I've looking through the Ant manual, I can't see anything about it. Any hints? Malcolm Malcolm Ryan wrote: > I wish to write a Java program which can compile and run java source > code. Can this be done without resorting to OS-specific calls to javac? > I've seen suggestions that Ant might allow me to do this, but I've > looking through the Ant manual, I can&#...

Passing java.lang.Class type as an argument to Java method
I am trying to set the default cell renderer for a JTable from within Matlab. All my efforts to this point have been based on Sun's 'How To Use Tables' tutorial. According to methodsview('JTable') the signature of the function is setDefaultRenderer(java.lang.Class,javax.swing.table.TableCellRenderer ) I cannot get this function to executed, and I think its because I cannot create a java.lang.Class argument from within Matlab. Following a corresponding code snipit: import javax.swing.*; import java.awt.*; import java.awt.event.*; columnNames = { 'First Name', &...

Web resources about - is an java applet able to harm my computer? - comp.lang.java.security

Computer Show

'Locky' ransomware scam hits tens of thousands of Australian computers
Sophisticated software steals personal information from social media so victims trust AustraliaPost scam email containing ransomware.

'Locky' ransomware scam hits tens of thousands of Australian computers
Sophisticated software steals personal information from social media so victims trust AustraliaPost scam email containing ransomware.

Champion of world's most complex board game walloped by Google computer program
A Google computer program trounced one of the world's top players on Wednesday in a round of Go, which is believed to be the most complex board ...

Islamic State document leak: Australian computer engineer identified on list of volunteer suicide bombers ...
An Australian would-be suicide bomber is among tens of thousands of Islamic State jihadists whose details have been leaked by a disgruntled former ...

A top computer scientist told us the games that artificial intelligence can't win
... team is making history . Its AlphaGo program is up 2-0 on Lee Sedol , one of the top Go players alive. This is the first time a computer has ...

Human champ stunned as computer wins at "Go"
Human champ stunned as computer wins at "Go"

Google exec can't wait for a computer to love him
Technically Incorrect: Ray Kurzweil insists that in the near future computers will know what it is to think and be like us.