Client-Server ( Client starting server remotely )

	I'm writing a client-server app.
	Client controls Server which in turn configures and controls
	a bunch of hardware.
	I want to be able to start the server from my client.
	Now in C/C++ one could simply run the appropriate
	command string through a standard "system()" call
	which is relatively simple.

	JAVA on the other hand seems to require something like
	RMI to do it.

	Basically a use case for what I want to do is something
	like:

		Start Client GUI
		Enter name of data file
		Client checks bonafides of data file.
		Client reads and parses data file building a configuration
		Client gets host/port and path information for
		Server app ( which may be remote ).
		Client starts server.
		Client starts interrogating server until a reply is
		received.
		Client downloads data to server.
		Client and Server sort out data download issues
		Client awaits further User input.

	What is the Java best practice for this sort of thing.

	IBM

               <><><><><><><>   The Worlds Uncensored News Source   <><><><><><><><>

0
ian
11/14/2003 6:01:44 PM
comp.lang.java 3285 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:01:44 +0000, ian maclure wrote:

> 	I'm writing a client-server app.
> 	Client controls Server which in turn configures and controls
> 	a bunch of hardware.
> 	I want to be able to start the server from my client.
> 	Now in C/C++ one could simply run the appropriate
> 	command string through a standard "system()" call
> 	which is relatively simple.

	And of course wouldn't you know it, two seconds after I hit send
	the the Sun rises on Mahble Head as they say in Boston.

	To whit:

		static Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime();
		rt.exec( "command string" );

	So theoretically at least, I can:

		rt.exec( "ssh acct@some.domain.tbd /java/bin/java /full/path/to/app/thing" )