JDK 1.4.1 vs JDK 1.3.1

Hi,

I have good emperical evidence (from direct experience) that Java
1.3.1 run time works well for server side, 24x7, high transaction rates
apps. So here I am having to develop another such application from
scratch and I need to pick a JDK to program against.

Is 1.4.1 just as stable? Better? Worse? I know about NIO, asserts and
all the cool features in 1.4.1, and I've used these is many smaller
client side apps. They are not the unknowns. What I want is opinions
about the stability and suitability of 1.4.1 over 1.3.1 for a high
transaction rate, mission critical server side application.

I am assuming the comparison is a wash, but I'd love to hear other
opinions.

Cheers!
Shyamal

0
Shyamal
7/23/2003 3:28:26 PM
comp.lang.java 3285 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

we are running our system on 1.4.1 - pretty much stable. as for better -
depends what you need really

___
regards

http://www.eve-it.com

"Shyamal Prasad" <shyamal.prasad@ericsson.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I have good emperical evidence (from direct experience) that Java
> 1.3.1 run time works well for server side, 24x7, high transaction rates
> apps. So here I am having to develop another such application from
> scratch and I need to pick a JDK to program against.
>
> Is 1.4.1 just as stable? Better? Worse? I know about NIO, asserts and
> all the cool features in 1.4.1, and I've used these is many smaller
> client side apps. They are not the unknowns. What I want is opinions
> about the stability and suitability of 1.4.1 over 1.3.1 for a high
> transaction rate, mission critical server side application.
>
> I am assuming the comparison is a wash, but I'd love to hear other
> opinions.
>
> Cheers!
> Shyamal

0
Alex
7/23/2003 5:36:40 PM
If you don't need the features don't switch.

"Shyamal Prasad" <shyamal.prasad@ericsson.com> wrote in message =
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I have good emperical evidence (from direct experience) that Java
> 1.3.1 run time works well for server side, 24x7, high transaction =
rates
> apps. So here I am having to develop another such application from
> scratch and I need to pick a JDK to program against.
>=20
> Is 1.4.1 just as stable? Better? Worse? I know about NIO, asserts and
> all the cool features in 1.4.1, and I've used these is many smaller
> client side apps. They are not the unknowns. What I want is opinions
> about the stability and suitability of 1.4.1 over 1.3.1 for a high
> transaction rate, mission critical server side application.
>=20
> I am assuming the comparison is a wash, but I'd love to hear other
> opinions.=20
>=20
> Cheers!
> Shyamal