Serialization between Java 1.1.4 and Java 1.4.1

Hello,

It seems to me to be in some kinda trouble. I wanted to implement
communication between Java applet and Server through sockets and
Serialization. So, I serialize Object, send it to server which deserialize
it with no problems. In other direction problems came out since Object
serialized under Java 1.4.1 seems to be not deserializable under Java 1.1.4.
(MS VM). If applet si run under J2, there are no problems, but I cannot push
people to download some 15MB of new JRE  just to accomplish my requirements,
especially if applet needs not implementation of features of new JRE...

What should I do?

0
Ante
11/17/2003 1:20:56 PM
comp.lang.java 3285 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Ante Sabo" <asabo@baron.foi.hr> wrote in message news:<bpaih0$6i6$1@bagan.srce.hr>...
> Hello,
>
> It seems to me to be in some kinda trouble. I wanted to implement
> communication between Java applet and Server through sockets and
> Serialization. So, I serialize Object, send it to server which deserialize
> it with no problems. In other direction problems came out since Object
> serialized under Java 1.4.1 seems to be not deserializable under Java 1.1.4.
> (MS VM). If applet si run under J2, there are no problems, but I cannot push
> people to download some 15MB of new JRE  just to accomplish my requirements,
> especially if applet needs not implementation of features of new JRE...
>
> What should I do?

If you read through any articles, books, tutorials on serialization
you'll no doubt have spotted that there is a way for an object to
take control of its own serialization process.  Reading between the
lines, it seems that you thought that serialization would be a good
way (a lazy way - not that there's anything wrong with being lazy)
of moving your data between machines, without creating your own
'protocol' to describe the data.  Unfortunately if you want to share
objects between such a wide span of Java versions then you'll either
have to use your own protocol - or write your own code to selectively
'pack and unpack' your objects from the serialize streams (which
probably amounts to pretty much the same thing, close enough!)

-FISH-   ><>
0
joeking
11/19/2003 5:53:07 PM
ASN.1 maybe

"Ante Sabo" <asabo@baron.foi.hr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> It seems to me to be in some kinda trouble. I wanted to implement
> communication between Java applet and Server through sockets and
> Serialization. So, I serialize Object, send it to server which deserialize
> it with no problems. In other direction problems came out since Object
> serialized under Java 1.4.1 seems to be not deserializable under Java
1.1.4.
> (MS VM). If applet si run under J2, there are no problems, but I cannot
push
> people to download some 15MB of new JRE  just to accomplish my
requirements,
> especially if applet needs not implementation of features of new JRE...
>
> What should I do?

0
nos